• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

tehPete

Banned
This game isn't a GOTY contender, however much Ubi would love that to be the case; it's a re-hashing or basic re-take on Ubi's best mechanics (and some of the notable features of other games) of the last generation, and the one unique aspect it has is fleshed out in the most bare-bones way possible. It feels like a very mechanical decision-making process took place in order to minimize the risk Ubi were taking on what is a new IP, and that just detracts from the game as a whole. It doesn't help that the games immersion falls apart under the most basic scrutiny either, with the illusion of depth being everywhere.

So far for me, the most fun I've had in the game is with the ctOS mobile challenges; being able to involve & play against people that otherwise wouldn't be interested or able to, on a somewhat leveled playing field via the tablet, is fantastic. Get the game, a tablet, a few mates and a few beers and you've got a great way to kill time :)

Myself vs. paul1950 (random match):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWPN2kLBDZk
(around 1:40 is a particularly close moment, was clenched for that one, heh :))

TheCloser

Banned
This game isn't a GOTY contender, however much Ubi would love that to be the case; it's a re-hashing or basic re-take on Ubi's best mechanics (and some of the notable features of other games) of the last generation, and the one unique aspect it has is fleshed out in the most bare-bones way possible. It feels like a very mechanical decision-making process took place in order to minimize the risk Ubi were taking on what is a new IP, and that just detracts from the game as a whole. It doesn't help that the games immersion falls apart under the most basic scrutiny either, with the illusion of depth being everywhere.

So far for me, the most fun I've had in the game is with the ctOS mobile challenges; being able to involve & play against people that otherwise wouldn't be interested or able to, on a somewhat leveled playing field via the tablet, is fantastic. Get the game, a tablet, a few mates and a few beers and you've got a great way to kill time :)

Myself vs. paul1950 (random match):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWPN2kLBDZk
(around 1:40 is a particularly close moment, was clenched for that one, heh :))
Good gameplay footage.

Kuldar

I sent a complain to Ubisoft Support about the drinking mini-games requirement for the 100% completion. It's not only because I can't do it. It's not because I can't have the trophy, I don't care about trophy, and I think that it's a great trophy since it's a really difficult one. Maybe it should be a silver or gold one instead of a bronze trophy.
My complaint is about the requirement for the 100% completion because it is inconsistent with any other requirements for mini-games.

Poker: only need to win one time, It could be done one the easy table (the 1000$ one).
Cash Run: only need one gold among 38 tracks.
NVZN: you just have to play it.
Shell game: you only have to beat 3 differents guys, so you only have to do the first three levels.
Chess: this one is a bit more difficult as you have to do 10 challenges but there are something like 40 chess challenges.
Drinking: you have to do 10 of the 11 levels of all the locations.

Changing the requirement for 100% completion to 5 instead of 10 would be more consistent. They don't have to change the requirement for the trophy.

Yeah I know it's stupid and maybe useless but it annoys me. -_-

Dominator

I send a complaint to Ubisoft Support about the drinking mini-games requirement for the 100% completion. It's not only because I can't do it. It's not because I can't have the trophy, I don't care about trophy, and I think that it's a great trophy since it's a really difficult one. Maybe it should be a silver or gold one instead of a bronze trophy.
My complaint is about the requirement for the 100% completion because it is inconsistent with any other requirements for mini-games.

Poker: only need to win one time, It could be done one the easy table (the 1000$ one).
Shell game: you only have to beat 3 differents guys, so you only have to do the first three levels.
Chess: this one is a bit more difficult as you have to do 10 challenges but there are something like 40 chess challenges.

Yeha I know it's stupid and maybe useless but it annoys me. -_-
Yeah, 10 of the 11 levels, with each of those having 5-10 sections each. Its ludicrous.

Carbonox

I got the drinking game trophy last night but despite that it is absolutely a ludicriously drawn out trophy to obtain with shitty requirements. Bit daft.

I find the online tailing trophy to be more offensive though as that's purely based on luck and you have zero control over it. That shit should not fly.

MrS

Banned
Trying to get the SongSneak trophy here and I'm on to act 3 mission 1. Are more songs locked until certain missions a la C.R.E.A.M?

Carbonox

Trying to get the SongSneak trophy here and I'm on to act 3 mission 1. Are more songs locked until certain missions a la C.R.E.A.M?

I read there is one you unlock some point during Act 4 but other than that not as far as I'm aware.

That leaves me with 4 left to obtain randomly in the world. RNG pls.

ttech10

I sent a complain to Ubisoft Support about the drinking mini-games requirement for the 100% completion. It's not only because I can't do it. It's not because I can't have the trophy, I don't care about trophy, and I think that it's a great trophy since it's a really difficult one. Maybe it should be a silver or gold one instead of a bronze trophy.

Changing the requirement for 100% completion to 5 instead of 10 would be more consistent. They don't have to change the requirement for the trophy.

In the two locations other than Pawnee, I think I had to retry a total of 2 times. In Pawnee, other than round 6 (which took around 10 retries) I had to retry maybe 5 times, and only two of those came in rounds 7-10. I think they could have just had the trophy as completing 10 rounds in Pawnee, since the other two are boringly easy and time consuming.

I do agree the trophies are inconsistent in requirements and it's especially crazy that the drinking one is only bronze. That drinking game, even without a single retry, takes longer than all those other mini-games combined.

The final Act 3 mission gives you a song and the final Act 4 mission does as well.

Kuldar

For the songs you can use the Songsneak App in stores. If you don't have the song played it will be unlock. It's still rnadom based but it's a little easier than finding people to hack.

The final Act 3 mission gives you a song and the final Act 4 mission does as well.
Good to know.

tehPete

Banned

Dat consistency... It makes you wonder if anyone was truly leading the development team! It actually reads like subgroups were just given the task of 'create a minigame', with what they came up with being implemented without review.

Good gameplay footage.

Glad you thought so :)

Kuldar

I really want to make video of cTOS challenge. When am I supposed to use the share button on PS4? Before starting a challenge or just after?

Krisprolls

Banned
I find the online tailing trophy to be more offensive though as that's purely based on luck and you have zero control over it. That shit should not fly.

It's not that hard. The trick is you must tail people yourself. Then just drive / walk in the world, someone will hack or tail you. Works nearly every time, I always get someone hack or tail me in less than 5 minutes after I successfully tailed somebody.

You may also make your reputation deep in the red, it makes people hack you more (and maybe tail you more too, I'm not sure).

Setsuna

They need to just wipe the poker challenge I cant do it no fun to boring

Not even my usual style of going all in until i win works

Krisprolls

Banned
They need to just wipe the poker challenge I cant do it no fun to boring

Not even my usual style of going all in until i win works

I got it the first time I think the AI is really bad. They fold pretty quickly if you bet big when you have a semi decent game.

Just fold until you get decent cards (maybe a pair or ace + card), then bet, first small, then bigger after the flop to make them put money on the table. Don't go all in too quick or they'll fold.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Just beat the game.
That was an epic set of final sequences. Waited for him to finish talking then shot Maurice right between the eyes even though I listened to his tragic story through his audio logs. None of that ridiculous walk away nonsense after i've already done so much to exact revenge.
I think the sequel will be about
Aiden vs Dedsec and whatever plan they have for their "war." Maurice is hinting at some major shizz about to go down

Carbonox

It's not that hard. The trick is you must tail people yourself. Then just drive / walk in the world, someone will hack or tail you. Works nearly every time, I always get someone hack or tail me in less than 5 minutes after I successfully tailed somebody.

You may also make your reputation deep in the red, it makes people hack you more (and maybe tail you more too, I'm not sure).

I've tailed so many people I've lost count and nowt's happening afterwards.

Does the single player notoriety really have an effect? If so I'll push that down to the red.

I'll try anything at this rate to get the stupid trophy out of the way.

HowZatOZ

Banned
So what would people actually change in regards to the hacking? I keep seeing comments throwing around that it is too bare bones, yet I feel if it was any more in-depth it would lose the momentum that the current take on it has.

If we actually had to do "realistic" hacking, it'd be an utter borefest and people wouldn't be willing to use the system. I think what Ubisoft found is that they had to go about hacking with the least bare bones possible, but also in as simple of a way that it doesn't interfere with the game's interaction. If I had to realistically hack some traffic lights to cause an accident, I would have asked for a refund because to me that feels rather over-the-top.

Sure, I can definitely agree that more choice in how you hack is needed, say with traffic lights in changing only one side to green or something, but you need to ensure the flow of the game is kept intact. I would just hate for the game to force me to think any longer than a few seconds when being chased by police because I wanted to actually hinder their chase.

It just seems like the complaints that the "main" feature to the game was somehow not the same as release also boggles my mind. Nothing has changed gameplay-wise since E3 2012, so not sure why people were thinking hacking was going to be any more interwoven then what we were shown. It seems the expectations were just so out of wack with the hacking mechanic that people truly believed it was going to be some in-depth system, which just doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't consider anything "easy" about that trophy, I spent like fifteen hours using all types of methods to attempt to happen. I still only got approximately six tails in total of playing.

Cat-and-mouse method: Do one, wait for one. Most of the time it was a hack and about twenty minutes later. This is what I ended up doing to get it, I'd hack someone win-or-lose then leave myself AFK while I did other things. If nothing in twenty minutes I'd reset and do it all again.

Resetting method: Rarely worked. Maybe once I got hacked from it randomly.

It would piss me off if the answer was, "bad reputation" and there is no documentation about getting invaded more if that's the case.

Krisprolls

Banned
I've tailed so many people I've lost count and nowt's happening afterwards.

Does the single player notoriety really have an effect? If so I'll push that down to the red.

That's strange... I'm on PS4 and I see you're on PS4 too.

The other thing is you mustn't start anything after you successfully tailed somebody, because if you start even a secondary activity or stop a crime or anything else, it will stop people from invading you, you must basically do nothing but driving / walking, no activity. Last thing is a lot of people prefer hacking to tailing, so it takes a bit a of time before you get tailed 5 times because you get hacked a lot more.

Single player reputation definitely has an impact but only at max red (the second step) because it's written on the stats screen you'll get hacked more. I don't know if they tail you more though.

I've been hacked dozens of times now, are you often hacked too ? Tailing you won't know because if they do it well you don't get any notification until you get the trophy after 5 times.

If you're never hacked either I guess it could be a problem of ports unable to be opened (this thing is probably Peer to Peer), I'm in DMZ on my router (which technically means any port is opened to the PS4), so maybe that could be an explanation, but only if you never get any invasion (including hacking).

Carbonox

I don't consider anything "easy" about that trophy, I spent like fifteen hours using all types of methods to attempt to happen. I still only got approximately six tails in total of playing.

Cat-and-mouse method: Do one, wait for one. Most of the time it was a hack and about twenty minutes later. This is what I ended up doing to get it, I'd hack someone win-or-lose then leave myself AFK while I did other things. If nothing in twenty minutes I'd reset and do it all again.

Resetting method: Rarely worked. Maybe once I got hacked from it randomly.

It would piss me off if the answer was, "bad reputation" and there is no documentation about getting invaded more if that's the case.

I think all I can do is the cat and mouse method. I've reset my notoriety many times as well.

That's strange... I'm on PS4. Are you on PC ? The other thing is you mustn't start anything after you successfully tailed somebody, because if you start even a secondary activity or a crime or anything else, it will stop people from invading you, you must basically do nothing but driving / walking, no activity. Last thing is a lot of people prefer hacking to tailing, so it takes a bit a of time before you get tailed 5 times because you get hacked a lot more.

Single player reputation definitely has an impact but only at max red (the second step) because it's written on the stats screen you'll get hacked more. I don't know if they tail you more though.

I've been hacked dozens of times now, are you often hacked too ?

I'm on PS4 as well. Once I tailed someone I just drove around/walked around though I was hacking NPC's for their money but shouldn't matter as I've been hacked whilst doing this before. But yeah I don't do any actual activities during this period.

I've been hacked loads of times. Can definitely understand why most opt for that.

I won't stop trying eithe way. Not while I am this close to the Platinum anyway.

Krisprolls

Banned
I think all I can do is the cat and mouse method. I've reset my notoriety many times as well.

I'm on PS4 as well. Once I tailed someone I just drove around/walked around though I was hacking NPC's for their money but shouldn't matter as I've been hacked whilst doing this before. But yeah I don't do any actual activities during this period.

I've been hacked loads of times. Can definitely understand why most opt for that.

I won't stop trying eithe way. Not while I am this close to the Platinum anyway.

Keep it up then, it'll work, go tailing people, have a walk / a drive 10 minutes and check with focus or pause when you are invaded. And let them spy on you (don't use profiler), maybe they need to be successful in tailing, I don't know, I stopped several tailing and it didn't stop me from getting the trophy. If you see you're invaded with focus or pause and you get zero notification ever, then you were just tailed.

But before that, kill tons of people to be in the red in reputation (last step in the red). It seems it helped me getting the trophy (can't be sure, but you're definitely hacked more when deep in the red, the game even says so).

It took me a bit of time too, people prefer so much hacking to tailing, it can make it difficult.

valkyre

Yesterday while I was playing I suddenly saw the Traced trophy pop up... funny thing is I just tried tailing only once, mostly I play hacking 1 vs 1 in multiplayer. Guess I was extremely lucky judging by some comments here...

Hope Ubisoft fixes this for everyone because this is entirely stupid.

Another thing that needs fixing is that pathetic drinking game...

Carbonox

Keep it up then, it'll work, go tailing people, have a walk / a drive 10 minutes and check with focus or pause when you are invaded. And let them spy on you (don't use profiler), maybe they need to be successful in tailing, I don't know, I stopped several tailing and it didn't stop me from getting the trophy. If you see you're invaded with focus or pause and you get zero notification ever, then you were just tailed.

But before that, kill tons of people to be in the red in reputation (last step in the red). It seems it helped me getting the trophy (can't be sure, but you're definitely hacked more when deep in the red, the game even says so).

It took me a bit of time too, people prefer so much hacking to tailing, it can make it difficult.

Thanks for the tips. Typically whining on here seems to result in issues being magically solved the next moment you try the same tasks. Let's hope the same applies with this, hah.

Oh wow, the "Alone" digital trip is amazing. Such a great idea to completely empty the city to serve the atmosphere. The gameplay is simple but very satisfying.

Krisprolls

Banned
Yesterday while I was playing I suddenly saw the Traced trophy pop up... funny thing is I just tried tailing only once, mostly I play hacking 1 vs 1 in multiplayer. Guess I was extremely lucky judging by some comments here...

Hope Ubisoft fixes this for everyone because this is entirely stupid.

Another thing that needs fixing is that pathetic drinking game...

It's pretty random since vast majority of people prefer hacking to tailing, especially after they get the tailing trophy (tailing 10 times).

I help people getting their traced trophy though because I definitely love tailing.

There's something great in observing people. It's a lot easier than hacking too, so that's easy points unless they check if they're invaded. Then it can become harder.

anddo0

Finally someone who understands how I feel.

I'm not bothering with the drinking until they lower the requirement, or at least add a quick retry.
I found the chess surprisingly easy, beat it in like 8 total tries.

As for the shell game, the guy clearly cheats. I wasn't going to mess with it past level 2. But, it's a require so... :(

Kuldar

So what would people actually change in regards to the hacking? I keep seeing comments throwing around that it is too bare bones, yet I feel if it was any more in-depth it would lose the momentum that the current take on it has.

If we actually had to do "realistic" hacking, it'd be an utter borefest and people wouldn't be willing to use the system. I think what Ubisoft found is that they had to go about hacking with the least bare bones possible, but also in as simple of a way that it doesn't interfere with the game's interaction. If I had to realistically hack some traffic lights to cause an accident, I would have asked for a refund because to me that feels rather over-the-top.

Sure, I can definitely agree that more choice in how you hack is needed, say with traffic lights in changing only one side to green or something, but you need to ensure the flow of the game is kept intact. I would just hate for the game to force me to think any longer than a few seconds when being chased by police because I wanted to actually hinder their chase.
For me the way they did the hacking is a good way to use it in an action/adventure game. Being able to hack even more things would be cool and I'm pretty sure they have a ton of ideas for the sequel.
What I would want in the sequel is more differen hacking mini-games when we hack servers or computers.

Carbonox

Anyone else think that Assassin's Creed Unity will utilize a lot of - and expand upon - Watch Dog's online features? Assassinating other players, tailing them, etc. The verticality of Assassin's Creed could make these things even more fun than they already are.

leng jai

Can't be bothered digging up the thread, but now that I'm up to Act IV, I'm just further into the belief that Watch Dogs benefits immensely from being an open world game.

Anyone else think that Assassin's Creed Unity will utilize a lot of - and expand upon - Watch Dog's online features? Assassinating other players, tailing them, etc. The verticality of Assassin's Creed could make these things even more fun than they already are.

People hate Ubisoft games for being "hollow" and "repetitive" ... but I will freely admit, I gobble this stuff up in their games because it's so much fun and gives you so much choice how to play their games.

Last night was my first night free of attempting "Traced" since I got it on Sunday. So I did a Fixer Mission - then I decided to hack someone. After that, I did a gang mission followed by my last CToS tower. Then I did a tail-hack-tail-hack ... and finished up with starting work on the drinking games. These games are great because of the choices of how you play.

On the multi-player, I love, love, LOVE Assassin's Creed multi-player. It generally rewards smart gameplay so I think a tailing mode fits right in with the theme, I think the tailing in Assassin's Creed would be closer to the hacking in Watch Dogs though just because of how much easier it will be to blend/hide. But I also hope they don't steer away from their normal MP. I look forward to it each year.

If Unity includes invasions it would give me a reason to buy it.

Kuldar

Can't be bothered digging up the thread, but now that I'm up to Act IV, I'm just further into the belief that Watch Dogs benefits immensely from being an open world game.
Can you explain why without spoiler?

If Ubisoft did it people will complain that their games are all the same, but it could be fun to have an invasion or tailing mode.

Akai__

I beat the game yesterday and people who claim, that the characters are poorly written, don't know, what they are talking about, in my opinion. Watch Dogs made me feel bad and sorry, very often. Very emotional game and they did a great job to translate those emotions, at least for me.

Also heavy spoilers:

I don't agree with the decision, that Clara had to die. It's the only thing, that bothered me, story wise. They could have make it related to the reputation system, where you need to have a certain amount of (good) reputation points, in order to save her.

ttech10

Finally someone who understands how I feel.

I'm not bothering with the drinking until they lower the requirement, or at least add a quick retry.
I found the chess surprisingly easy, beat it in like 8 total tries.

As for the shell game, the guy clearly cheats. I wasn't going to mess with it past level 2. But, it's a require so... :(

I've seen numerous people claiming he cheats, but never actually any video of it. I'm not sure if people just aren't seeing him tip the cup and move the ball to another cup or if the game is actually cheating. I've done the game numerous times and never once have I been cheated.

Skip to 1:25 in this video and the first move he makes with the middle cup is tilting it and you can see the ball [quickly] move to the cup on the left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yST1EoV_AU0

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I beat the game yesterday and people who claim, that the characters are poorly written, don't know, what they are talking about, in my opinion. Watch Dogs made me feel bad and sorry, very often. Very emotional game and they did a great job to translate those emotions, at least for me.

Also heavy spoilers:

I don't agree with the decision, that Clara had to die. It's the only thing, that bothered me, story wise. They could have make it related to the reputation system, where you need to have a certain amount of (good) reputation points, in order to save her.
I agree. I especially like how
Jordi calls Aiden during the credits and they still do their little back and forth routine despite the fact that hours ago they almost killed each other. Business is business.

Ascenion

This is the reason I will not be platinuming this game. Those drinking games are truly atrocious. I'm ok with difficult trophies, I don't care too much for online trophies but these are fun but fuck that drinking mini game. Fuck it right in its stupid blurred twin stick shit ear.

It might but I've been on the blue side my whole time playing and I get hacked a lot. Once immediately after spawning from a death to police. I got the Traced trophy just a little while ago. Keep in mind that I'm hacking and tailing people all the time, hacking more so.

Uuh, so much fun with online tailing today. The others are getting better, but me too. It's so important to stay behind within the first 3 minutes and just observe. The subsequent invasions are very exploitable and I feel sad for everyone who had to hack me today because I was waiting for them every time.

Some great last second tailings, camera switch action, police chase support and backyard traps. To bad, that I messed up the PS4 video capture and forgot to stream via Twitch. All I got was this lousy screenshot.

NWXdOWE.jpg

Top Bottom