• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

MarkusRJR

MarkusRJR said:
How common is the 90% loading bug (on Xbox One specifically)? I have little time for gaming and losing a bunch of progress would make me never play the game again. At the same time though I'm home sick for a day or two with nothing to do but game. Should I start playing it now or should I wait till it gets patched and play something else?

Really annoyed cause I just spent $70 on this game (dumb Canadian pricing that rips you off) and never heard of this bug anywhere until checking out forums. Ridiculous that only Kotaku of all places covered it. Is there an expected time for a patch or are we all SOL?
Anyone?

Sojgat

Convoy missions are great and can involve a lot of tactical planning.

Here's an example of how I beat one of the aforementioned convoys involving heavies and 2 targets you have to knock out:

- Set the ambush point on a steam pipe.
- Parked a truck across the road for cover.
- Exploded the steam pipe when the first vehicle passed over it (the heavies are always up front).
- Used ctOS scan to mark all enemies.
- Took out the heavies with a grenade launcher.
- Mopped up the remaining expendable enemies with focus headshots.
- Moved up on the two targets, using vehicles for cover, and knocked them down.

For people complaining, it's not bad design, you just don't like it.

scoobs

Here's an example of how I beat one of the aforementioned convoys involving heavies and 2 targets you have to knock out:

- Exploded the steam pipe when the first vehicle past over it (the heavies are always up front).

Well said, I really enjoy them too. It'd be damn near impossible without a grenade launcher though.

I can't connect to the Ubisoft servers, that's why. Seriously though, is anyone else having problems right now?

Yeah, just disconnected from a game earlier.

ludonarrative dissonance apparently

It's not even ludonarrative dissonance really. It's narrative dissonance, period, because the inconsistencies lie within the actual writing, not between what's written and what the player can do on their own. Aiden running over fifty people on the way to a mission is ludonarrative dissonance and is largely unavoidable in games; Aiden growling about how crime is ruining Chicago when there's a mechanic devoted to lifting money from civilians with zero consequence feels like someone at Ubisoft missed a few meetings or memos.

leng jai

- Exploded the steam pipe when the first vehicle past over it (the heavies are always up front).

After all that the only thing you really need is a grenade launch though. I pretty much do the same thing every time. Hide behind a parked car, pop out when the target is close, blow it up with a grenade launcher and then run away.

Kuldar

But Aiden Pearce is a vigilante supposedly fighting for the better of Chicago as well as his own revenge. He wants to stop crimes. He wants bad guys to live (some of them, anyway, when the game calls for it) so his message can spread. He can intervene to prevent murders, drug deals, and petty crime.

...but he can also steal money from people's bank accounts with no consequences, and steal their cars, and he doesn't have much of a problem doing side missions for criminals.
There isn't consequences because people don't know that he's the stealer, that's the point of digital theft. For cars, with the unlock skill he's just opening the door as anyone. Yeah if there isn't a consequence for breaking the window of a car then it's odd and inconsistent. I can't remember if it's the case, cause the unlock car skill was the first one I took one week ago.
But I agree with you that this reputation system (not moral system) is inconsistent in many way. How people know that I'm the "vigilant" when I just run over someone with my car?

Gold_Loot

There isn't consequences because people don't know that he's the stealer, that's the point of digital theft. For cars, with the unlock skill he's just opening the door as anyone. Yeah if there isn't a consequence for breaking the window of a car then it's odd and inconsistent. I can't remember if it's the case, cause the unlock car skill was the first one I took one week ago.
Not only that, but I'm pretty sure you can play the entire game without hacking bank accounts, as well as not stealing cars. You can always call in your own, or take the rail car for example.

Whether or not people can see it is irrelevant. It makes no sense that it's even an option (actually, it's probably fairer to say that Aiden's goody-two-shoes streak clashes with his Man on Fire persona). If Aiden has such a boner for stopping petty crimes, why is there a whole node on the skill tree for committing petty crimes?

Again, the "it's your choice to do it" argument isn't really valid here, because these are all pieces of the core game that don't react to each other whatsoever. If things like stealing from accounts messed with your reputation, it absolutely would be up to personal choice, but as it is the game presents it as an easy guilt-free way to get money.

ev0

After all that the only thing you really need is a grenade launch though. I pretty much do the same thing every time. Hide behind a parked car, pop out when the target is close, blow it up with a grenade launcher and then run away.

Some of the later convoy missions you can't kill the guy though. You have to bait them out for a take down and there are two of them.

I never really had to use tactics on them until I got to those missions, and I did a similar setup.

However I stealthed my way through almost the entire game and didn't even know there was a grenade launcher until I saw it mentioned here lol.

Kuldar

Whether or not people can see it is irrelevant. It makes no sense that it's even an option (actually, it's probably fairer to say that Aiden's goody-two-shoes streak clashes with his Man on Fire persona). If Aiden has such a boner for stopping petty crimes, why is there a whole node on the skill tree for committing petty crimes?

Again, the "it's your choice to do it" argument isn't really valid here, because these are all pieces of the core game that don't react to each other whatsoever. If things like stealing from accounts messed with your reputation, it absolutely would be up to personal choice, but as it is the game presents it as an easy guilt-free way to get money.
I didn't use the "it's your choice do to it" argument.
At the begining of the game we saw him stealing money from people. It's pretty clear that he was doing this as a leaving. He was and still is a thcriminal. He just doesn't have a moral issue to steal people money.

I didn't use the "it's your choice do to it" argument.
Aiden is a criminal, at the begining of the game we saw him stealing money from people. It's pretty clear that he was doing this as a leaving. He'was and still is a criminal. He just doesn't have a moral issue to steal people money.

I know, I was just speaking broadly.

And you're exactly right - he was/is a criminal. So why does he care about stopping crime?

Klocker

Feel like I just cheated because of GAF knowledge on an intruder...

Saw my phone go down and pause menu keep moving ...GAF... Hopped a bike And headed for a big bridge and stopped halfway across... Waited and sure enough, a bike comes flying up with first person I'd ever seen on a bike besides me... Never thought about it before until I read this thread... Watched him pull over and then shot him before he started to hack... Cha Ching... Felt like a douche though. 😁

Also just saw I have 32 hours into the game and have only played up to mission 6 of Act 1. Could be my favorite open world game ever.

Edit... Oh yea and I try to play as a good guy but hack every damned dime I can get my hands on 😊

Kuldar

And you're exactly right - he was/is a criminal. So why does he care about stopping crime?
I don't know maybe it's a redemption thing because he feel guilty that his criminal actions lead to the death of his niece. Or maybe it's a way to balance his criminal actions by thinking he's doing something good if he's stopping other criminals. Or maybe it's both.

I don't know if it's really explained during the main story, I'm only at the beginning of Act 3.

KeRaSh

I finally got my hands on the game yesterday (Amazon.co.uk apparently had a one legged man deliver the game all the way to Germany on foot...) and I tried to download both the day one patch and the Sony exclusive bonus content. Both downloads failed at 0% with a DNS error. I was able to download the latest firmware without any problems and my internet connection was fine. Is this a problem on Sony's end? Did anyone else experience something like that yesterday?

malfcn

Damn it. I'm listening to a ctOS broadcast and my car taps something and I did in a fiery inferno. A psychologist profiling vigilantes.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
OUCH

watch_dogs4csti.png

Poor Matt ..

Not only that, but I'm pretty sure you can play the entire game without hacking bank accounts, as well as not stealing cars. You can always call in your own, or take the rail car for example.
No way, because several mission chases or tails make your existing car go poof and you can't call one in while in a mission. If you start from a mid-mission checkpoint you'll also find your car gone and no way to call one in.

I actually called in motorcycles all the time, and it was a bummer that you couldn't do so during missions.

Xenon

He seems to be more of a white collar criminal. The crimes he is stopping are of more the brutal variety. Considering his niece was killed by violent thugs, that could be the motivation for beating the shit out of the criminals with his stick.

I never really questioned the character because I felt actively involved in how good or bad he is.

Shadownet

Banned
Ugh, online hacking can be such total bs.

Why do you spawn me on a motorcycle when every decent player knows NPC's don't drive them in this game? Why do I get assigned to someone just sitting in the middle of an open area waiting for me? Why give them a notification the instant you enter their game so they can immediately hightail it out of there without you being able to give chase without blowing cover? Why assign me to someone that's driving across the map in the fastest vehicle in the game without me being able to catch up without blowing my cover? Having the target go over one of those bridges that raise or lower in their entirety pretty much means losing the game BTW. They'll just stand on the other side and counter your hack every time and you won't be able to do anything since bypassing the bridge will immediately give you away.

Yup, the motorcycle thing pissed me off the most. And if the target drive top speed. You would reveal yourself just trying to catch up.

Damn game is broken. Fuck Ubi.

Online trailing and hacking is a blast!!

Everything is a blast, well everything out side the main missions probably. I am still in act one and easily have close to 20 hours in this game. GOTY contender, the best game of this current gen so far.

Feel like I just cheated because of GAF knowledge on an intruder...

Saw my phone go down and pause menu keep moving ...GAF... Hopped a bike And headed for a big bridge and stopped halfway across... Waited and sure enough, a bike comes flying up with first person I'd ever seen on a bike besides me... Never thought about it before until I read this thread... Watched him pull over and then shot him before he started to hack... Cha Ching... Felt like a douche though. 😁

Also just saw I have 32 hours into the game and have only played up to mission 6 of Act 1. Could be my favorite open world game ever.

Edit... Oh yea and I try to play as a good guy but hack every damned dime I can get my hands on 😊

Same here, tonights online sessions were much easier since I now know when someone is invading me and what they see in their game. But I dont feel bad, makes it much more fun. I don't try to run away or anything stupid like that, I play it naturally.

Shadownet

Banned
I absolutely LOVE this game. I cant even get around to do the missions. The side content is incredible, blows GTAV side content out of the water. I can't stop finding things to do. When your side missions have their own leveling up, skill trees and save feature you know you are doing it right.

It has its issues but I don't care, messing around is too much fun.

I am really thinking of buying the season pass. Anyone try the conspiracy digital trip.

Nope GTAV got better side missions. Watch Dogs just rehashed Assassins Creed "go here find this, climb that, reveal map, go there, repeat."

Carbonox

Online trailing and hacking is a blast!!

Everything is a blast, well everything out side the main missions probably. I am still in act one and easily have close to 20 hours in this game. GOTY contender, the best game of this current gen so far.

Definitely in my top 3 for the generation so far.

Watch Dogs is fucking great. A lot of fun.

Kuldar

Oh man I just tried again to beat the lvl 6 of extreme drinking game.
It would be cool if there was a console feature allowing someone to remote play my party so that he could finish this mini-game for me. -_-.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!

Violent crime isn't the same as hacking someone's bank acct where they can call up their bank the next day and get their funds reinstated?

Zakalwe

Banned

I think it's pretty clear so far, although the story might tell me different later on (about two thirds through Act II).

He's a hacker who's fighting the system. He's not just a criminal in it for his own gains. The money he was stealing at the start was likely funding his efforts to fight back against ctOS which is an extremely invasive and dangerous system. He's like a cyber terrorist, or freedom fighter depending on your perspective.

Kind if like a hacker version of The Punisher.

Klocker

Same here, tonights online sessions were much easier since I now know when someone is invading me and what they see in their game. But I dont feel bad, makes it much more fun. I don't try to run away or anything stupid like that, I play it naturally.

Yea. Thats the only time I've taken off. I just wanted to see what would happen.

I usually just hang around and go about my business in fact the intrusion right after that I was expecting it but went and took out a criminal and got myself in the middle of a police chase before they arrived. Made for some fun.

Shadownet

Banned
You know the answer to that as well as I do. The ingame notoriety represents how the people of Chicago view you - either good or bad. Since hacking is anonymous and impossible to trace, no one knows you did it.

Are you deliberately obtuse on this subject or what?

Right..

Its actually not completely anonymous and impossible to trace. People who are working with Blame agents can report you if you hack their account and then call Blume and stick a couple of fixers on your butt. But yeah.. Keep believing that.

The catch in the game is that Aiden's intentions are really your own. He just hacked ctOS, everything else is your doing. This game is a simulator of power over information. If you would know that there is a crime happening somewhere, would you attempt to prevent it? If you could get away with theft, would you steal? Would you use your own vehicles, or would you relentlessly steal one whenever you need it? Would you work as a hired gun for criminals, if it would pay well and no one would know?

All that is inside Aiden's head as well as the players. The storyline involves Aiden utilizing these powers to settle a personal matter, all the stuff about the Vigilante is just a byproduct of his struggle, which you can steer in any direction.

He's a hacker who's fighting the system. He's not just a criminal in it for his own gains.

No, if you listen to his tapes, you would know that he's really more of an anarchist, he's in it for the thrill and his personal matters, he couldn't care less about the system. Before the whole vigilante thing he was a street smart social engineer. It's DedSec who are fighting the system, they have logs which juxtaposes their role with Aiden's, their goals are different and align only in case when Aiden's actions hurt their common enemies.

Krisprolls

Banned
Framerate and lag.

Well, it's open world so you won't get 60 fps in races clearly... I found them enjoyable anyway.

Online decryption has horrible framerate though, at least on ps4. This mode is the online mode I liked least.

I agree with you technically it could be better, but the game is a blast to play and that's what matters to me.

Top Bottom