• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

Would you guys say that the online invasions/hacking is an essential part of the overall package/experience, or is it something I can just leave off so that I can focus on the game? Does it get annoying or meddlesome?

Am I really missing out (I turned it off from the get-go)?

Kuldar

Great, now people disconnect when they are tailing you and that you saw they are here. The online modes looks less and less fun.

Chanser

Well, it's open world so you won't get 60 fps in races clearly... I found them enjoyable anyway.

Online decryption has horrible framerate though, at least on ps4. This mode is the online mode I liked least.

I agree with you technically it could be better, but the game is a blast to play and that's what matters to me.

Online races were at single digit fps, the game is great certainly not GOTY.

Krisprolls

Banned
Online races were at single digit fps, the game is great certainly not GOTY.

They're definitely not in single digit, and I made a ton of them. At least on PS4. Or you play on an underpowered PC ?

Maybe when you have 8 cars on screen and it rains, otherwise there's no way it's single digit.

FPS and graphics are not what decide if a game is GotY anyway. Technical aspects matter, but they should never be more important than the gameplay and the fun you have with the game.

fasTRapid

Banned
Ran into an interesting feature earlier today. Pulled my car in between two cars in a car park, because hey, I like to park neatly. Hit Y to climb out, and apparently there wasn't enough room on either side to open the doors.

So Aiden just smashes the window and climbs out onto the roof.
I need to try this. :D

Great, now people disconnect when they are tailing you and that you saw they are here. The online modes looks less and less fun.

Must be you individual observation, because no one disconnect while I played today.

Would you guys say that the online invasions/hacking is an essential part of the overall package/experience, or is it something I can just leave off so that I can focus on the game? Does it get annoying or meddlesome?

I have fun with it, but I would say it's just one part of the open world structure of this game with all it's side missions and mini games.

Yeah I know, sorry. It happened three times today. It's frustrating because I was barely tailed until today. :(

Check the slow motion here and there, then wait in a closed area, if someone comes to close just shoot and leave him no time to disconnect. Watch the cameras.

Kuldar

Check the slow motion here and there, then wait in a closed area, if someone comes to close just shoot and leave him no time to disconnect. Watch the cameras.
I don't want to use this tactic. I just want legit fun if I see one tailing me. I'm okay if I have to find them, I just don't like when people disconnect.
edit: lol, while I was posting this I got tailed and the Traced trophy pop-up appeared.

JB1981

Unlocking Ctos towers is actually kind of fun. Big improvement on just climbing a large structure in AC. I know these are very simple puzzles but they are better than automatic climbing. Also, do I have to craft items in order to unlock things like Blackout etc. or is there somewhere I can actually purchase the technology? It would be better than shooting everybody who tries to call 911 on me.

Geneijin

Ugh, online hacking can be such total bs.

Why do you spawn me on a motorcycle when every decent player knows NPC's don't drive them in this game? Why do I get assigned to someone just sitting in the middle of an open area waiting for me? Why give them a notification the instant you enter their game so they can immediately hightail it out of there without you being able to give chase without blowing cover? Why assign me to someone that's driving across the map in the fastest vehicle in the game without me being able to catch up without blowing my cover? Having the target go over one of those bridges that raise or lower in their entirety pretty much means losing the game BTW. They'll just stand on the other side and counter your hack every time and you won't be able to do anything since bypassing the bridge will immediately give you away.
I just came in here to see if anyone else shared my feelings. Glad I'm not alone.

Chanser

They're definitely not in single digit, and I made a ton of them. At least on PS4. Or you play on an underpowered PC ?

Maybe when you have 8 cars on screen and it rains, otherwise there's no way it's single digit.

FPS and graphics are not what decide if a game is GotY anyway. Technical aspects matter, but they should never be more important than the gameplay and the fun you have with the game.

On PS4, some races had the full works, rain and 8 players. The framerate did affect my gameplay and the races weren't fun.

Forgot to add, the fixer contracts are not fun.

Kuldar

I don't remember who said you can't surrender to cops but you can. I was at the first chase level and the cops didn't shoot me. My character put his hands up and after few seconds I had a loading screen.
I tried again and this time I used a blackout while my hands was up and did a takedown on the cops.

Unlocking Ctos towers is actually kind of fun. Big improvement on just climbing a large structure in AC. I know these are very simple puzzles but they are better than automatic climbing. Also, do I have to craft items in order to unlock things like Blackout etc. or is there somewhere I can actually purchase the technology? It would be better than shooting everybody who tries to call 911 on me.

You can buy most of the components from stores. In Act 2 you will open up a spot where you can just buy the gadgets straight out.

Also you don't need to shoot people calling the police. Just use the melee button- Aiden will know the phones out of their hand.

JB1981

You can buy most of the components from stores. In Act 2 you will open up a spot where you can just buy the gadgets straight out.

Also you don't need to shoot people calling the police. Just use the melee button- Aiden will know the phones out of their hand.

Ooh I need to start doing this .. OK! Weird that melee seems to be context sensitive. I still haven't opened Act 2, been too caught up in the world and side missions. I'm also surprised at the bad rap this game has gotten visually. Driving around at night in first-person is incredible! Under the right conditions, I think this is one of the best looking PS4 games around.

Lanrutcon

Technical aspects matter just as much as gameplay, because the allow you to experience the gameplay. If they didn't then we'd all be playing Watch Dogs: the silent monochrome adventure starring a white pixel as the protagonist.

They're piss poor, not single digit. It is/can be horrendous. And this is PS4.

It seems to be related to how laggy the other persons' connection is. Sometimes it is fine, 8 players, rain, police helicopter etc all working well, but in other races it is a mess and impossible to control your car with any degree of accuracy.

Drewfonse

I found a used copy on Amazon for $45. Is the 60 minute bonus content any good? The seller already used the code for that. Deal breaker?

Also heavy spoilers:

I don't agree with the decision, that Clara had to die. It's the only thing, that bothered me, story wise. They could have make it related to the reputation system, where you need to have a certain amount of (good) reputation points, in order to save her.

I agree. It felt like a pointless attempt to add drama to the whole thing and in the process they just waste a character with good potencial.

At least they should have given us the chance to save her, either through reputation as you mention or as an optional and challenging objective in the mission.

And if they wanted to add drama, then they should have written a good reconciliation scene for Clara and Aiden after he saves her.

Krisprolls

Banned
Technical aspects matter just as much as gameplay, because the allow you to experience the gameplay. If they didn't then we'd all be playing Watch Dogs: the silent monochrome adventure starring a white pixel as the protagonist.

If you were right, minecraft wouldn't have sold more than 35 million copies. Of course it matters, but not as much as gameplay and fun.

So I've started working on "Social Lubricant" and I think the problem of this trophy can easily be solved and be fair.

Just unlock all levels at all locations from the start. If someone wants to jump straight in to the end at level 10 at least we can fail at level 10 then fail at 4,5,6 etc. multiple times.

The other option is to add a retry option.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
So I've started working on "Social Lubricant" and I think the problem of this trophy can easily be solved and be fair.

Just unlock all levels at all locations from the start. If someone wants to jump straight in to the end at level 10 at least we can fail at level 10 then fail at 4,5,6 etc. multiple times.

The other option is to add a retry option.

If you lose, you can avoid the whole unskippable passing-out drunk bit and having to find your way back to the bar, but hitting pause and then load last autosave. It will put you right outside the bar without having to waste time running back.

Does anyone know if the drinking games are easier with a keyboard?

If you lose, you can avoid the whole unskippable passing-out drunk bit and having to find your way back to the bar, but hitting pause and then load last autosave. It will put you right outside the bar without having to waste time running back.

Oh, very, very nice, thanks!

murgo

Oh man, why have I never thought of that? Would've saved so much time.

To everyone who's still trying to beat them: Be calm and learn the patterns. If you get angry, do something else, kill the dude and come back later. Eventually you'll get past the level you're stuck in.

At least that's what I did to get the trophy.

Is there a way to go into a players game that hacked you previously? It seems that whenever I get done hacking a player, I always have a player that invadesmy game instantly, I never really noticed if it was the same player or not. Am I missing something?

That is awesome, nice work.

Thanks, man! Wasn't sure what was going to happen at the end when we had that little face-to-face. Think I'll try and trail someone in an ambulance next.

Is there a way to go into a players game that hacked you previously? It seems that whenever I get done hacking a player, I always have a player that invadesmy game instantly, I never really noticed if it was the same player or not. Am I missing something?

It's just the way it goes, sometimes they get a revenge chance but most of the time it's someone else. However, now you've realised that you get invaded after you invade, you'll be ready more often than not now to lure them into traps.

Winkle

Been playing for a while and can't seem to buy the vector sub machine gun. I have the spec ops version but not the normal one. When I go into the gun shop it shows the price but no option to buy it? Is this a bug or can I get it from an NPC in the game?

I don't want to use this tactic. I just want legit fun if I see one tailing me. I'm okay if I have to find them, I just don't like when people disconnect.
edit: lol, while I was posting this I got tailed and the Traced trophy pop-up appeared.

Fair move. I'm looking forward to see you online ;)

Thanks, man! Wasn't sure what was going to happen at the end when we had that little face-to-face. Think I'll try and trail someone in an ambulance next.

It's just the way it goes, sometimes they get a revenge chance but most of the time it's someone else. However, now you've realised that you get invaded after you invade, you'll be ready more often than not now to lure them into traps.

Pretty hilarious the one time. I just got done hacking a character, transitioned back to my own game, I walk into this parking lot and see this car come rolling in behind me, the guy slowly wrecks into the barrier and then get out of the car and walk slowly the other direction, thinking he's super lick like i wouldn't of noticed that huge fuck up. He hasn't even proceeded to profile me to hack. I take a good gamble, having not even profiled him myself, I aim at the back of his head and pull the trigger, invaded eliminated.

Zakalwe

Banned
The Missing Persons sidequest is creepy

It is, but the
resolution is a bit of an anti-climax. I wish they'd added a proper quest at the end of the investigations, something with story elements and character interaction.

Just finished the Default Condition mission,
and again it was extremely anti-climatic. I thought there would be some dialogue between Aiden and Default, but it just ended up being another take down sequence like the serial killer. Really disappointing.

Or just get close and point a gun at them. They'll drop the phone and run off.

I just started Act III. I am liking the story, but there is one big problem with it:

Aiden's identity as the vigilante. In Act I, he's trying to keep his identity under wraps, but the radio all throughout Act II identifies him as the Vigilante, and in Act III, the cops are actively hunting for him, but: 1) Aiden doesn't care, 2) you never realize how his ID was released. They should have dealt with this. There could have been an amazing mission where his identity was at stake and the cops are out for him throughout the city. And why hasn't Yolanda said anything about Aiden being the vigilante?

I am liking the story, but what the hell, Ubi. That makes no sense. It's a narrative misstep, a really big one.

Carbonox

Yeah the Missing Persons investigation had such a disappointing finale. Was the most interesting side mission of them all as well up until that point.

Saganator

So I'm about 40 hours into the game, well past the honey moon period. Still love the game. I've done a shit ton of side missions, investigations, and online stuff and it still feels like I've just started to scratch the surface. When I saw the Spider Tank previews, I thought it was a tacked on gimmick, but man is it fun and satisfying. Played that mode for at least an hour, the sound of the Spider Tank machine gun is so satisfying on a loud stereo system.

I played for a good 5-6 hours yesterday and I didn't get invaded at all, or tailed for all I know (I check every few mins with focus). I did a lot of driving across town, there was plenty of time where I wasn't in a mission. Not complaining, just kind of weird considering the day before I was getting invaded constantly. I wonder if its because I didn't try hacking/tailing anyone at all.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I just started Act III. I am liking the story, but there is one big problem with it:

Aiden's identity as the vigilante. In Act I, he's trying to keep his identity under wraps, but the radio all throughout Act II identifies him as the Vigilante, and in Act III, the cops are actively hunting for him, but: 1) Aiden doesn't care, 2) you never realize how his ID was released. They should have dealt with this. There could have been an amazing mission where his identity was at stake and the cops are out for him throughout the city. And why hasn't Yolanda said anything about Aiden being the vigilante?

I am liking the story, but what the hell, Ubi. That makes no sense. It's a narrative misstep, a really big one.
If you watch the news footage most if not all of it features Aiden wearing a mask. Otherwise they would refer to him by name on the radio.

This game is so great. Trying to do the ball cup minigame to level 3... get invaded. Proceed to yell "Aw hell naw" - turn around - walk to the first parked car - notice guy slouched in the seat - whip out ak47 - triple tap - invader eliminated.

Such professional very wow!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I would say that yes, it is an essential part of the overalll package. However if you aren't the sort that enjoys multiplayer of any kind (you'd never want to be invaded in a Souls game, for example), you might indeed find it annoying.

There is plenty available to enjoy without ever playing online a single time, but I do consider it part of the core experience.

soultron

Banned

I just kind of shut my brain off, honestly. I find that's the only way I can avoid wrestling with the story and world.

There's so many ways to shoot holes in the logic of the story, ctOS, etc.

One of the biggest logic lapses, in my mind, is that Aiden cannot be recognized on the ctOS cameras, but that should set off an alarm. And it should be easy to signal him out. One of the QR code audio logs mentions that all cameras are monitored by 3 sources: ctOS/Blume, Chicago PD, and a third, unknown source. Surely CPD would detect Aiden, simply by the fact that his image scrambles video cameras would produce a recognizable anomaly.

And the fact that crime can be predicted by ctOS software, yet the cameras on gang controlled zones and mission zones never trigger ctOS alerts, even though they witness gang members/hostile NPCs get shot or beaten with a baton. Even if it's assumed that these activities are covered up and the CPD are paid off by various hostile factions, the actions Aiden takes in modifying these environments cannot be ignored by the cameras that have eyes on everything there.

Yeah the Missing Persons investigation had such a disappointing finale. Was the most interesting side mission of them all as well up until that point.

This is disappointing :/ I just came across the first body, and man was it fucking creepy. Shed in the woods, stormy, pouring rain, city lights in the distance.

If you watch the news footage most if not all of it features Aiden wearing a mask. Otherwise they would refer to him by name on the radio.

Which still... makes no sense.

HOW DO THEY KNOW THAT HE'S THE VIGILANTE ESPECIALLY GIVEN THE LENGTHS HE WENT TO in ACT I to hide his identity?

Why doesn't he treat his identity being exposed as a big deal? It is! Police should be hunting him!

soultron

Banned
But yeah, when the (Act 3 spoilers)
radio casually mentioned Aiden's full name
, it came as a shock to me. He's always very secretive. If it was (Don't unspoiler unless you're to at least the start of Act 3)
Damien who leaked his name
, shouldn't Aiden react to it in some way? It came off as a very strange beat, considering there was no reaction at all from Aiden.

hydruxo

So I'm about 40 hours into the game, well past the honey moon period. Still love the game. I've done a shit ton of side missions, investigations, and online stuff and it still feels like I've just started to scratch the surface. When I saw the Spider Tank previews, I thought it was a tacked on gimmick, but man is it fun and satisfying. Played that mode for at least an hour, the sound of the Spider Tank machine gun is so satisfying on a loud stereo system.

I played for a good 5-6 hours yesterday and I didn't get invaded at all, or tailed for all I know (I check every few mins with focus). I did a lot of driving across town, there was plenty of time where I wasn't in a mission. Not complaining, just kind of weird considering the day before I was getting invaded constantly. I wonder if its because I didn't try hacking/tailing anyone at all.

I think it is. I never got invaded yesterday when I never hacked/tailed anyone. On contrast, when I was doing a ton of tailing and hacking, I was getting invaded constantly. I think they throw you in the pot for matchmaking if you are already doing online stuff.

Liamc723

Why oh why do Ubisoft always have to have these player community trophies? I'm trying to get the traced trophy, I've reset my notoriety multiple times but I'm just not getting tailed myself at all. What gives?

Top Bottom