• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

I just kind of shut my brain off, honestly. I find that's the only way I can avoid wrestling with the story and world.

There's so many ways to shoot holes in the logic of the story, ctOS, etc.

One of the biggest logic lapses, in my mind, is that Aiden cannot be recognized on the ctOS cameras, but that should set off an alarm. And it should be easy to signal him out. One of the QR code audio logs mentions that all cameras are monitored by 3 sources: ctOS/Blume, Chicago PD, and a third, unknown source. Surely CPD would detect Aiden, simply by the fact that his image scrambles video cameras would produce a recognizable anomaly.

And the fact that crime can be predicted by ctOS software, yet the cameras on gang controlled zones and mission zones never trigger ctOS alerts, even though they witness gang members/hostile NPCs get shot or beaten with a baton. Even if it's assumed that these activities are covered up and the CPD are paid off by various hostile factions, the actions Aiden takes in modifying these environments cannot be ignored by the cameras that have eyes on everything there.

I've pretty much shut my brain off as well and I'm enjoying the ride, but it ticks me off that no one considered that in the five years of making this game.

jet1911

10258394_145785095112qdy2s.jpg

I almost feel bad for the guy lol.

But yeah, when the (Act 3 spoilers)
radio casually mentioned Aiden's full name
, it came as a shock to me. He's always very secretive. If it was (Don't unspoiler unless you're to at least the start of Act 3)
Damien who leaked his name
, shouldn't Aiden react to it in some way? It came off as a very strange beat, considering there was no reaction at all from Aiden.

Exactly! Honestly, it either screams laziness, or there were major story changes late in the development cycle and no one did anything. That's all I can think of.

It literally makes no sense. Who wrote this game? I want to ask them.

soultron

Banned
I've pretty much shut my brain off as well and I'm enjoying the ride, but it ticks me off that no one considered that in the five years of making this game.

Many things may have changed during development, which might explain why there's a bit of a disconnect between the many gameplay systems and the narrative threads that run over top of everything. It happens. I'm having too much fun with the game to really dog the story, to be honest. I really appreciate the fact that there's character motivations and a driving force to the story, which is something I never personally found in games like GTA. (Conversely, RDR, if we're talking about Rockstar games, did an excellent job of this, in my opinion.) A lot of the side missions like QR code hunting (except stuff like chess, drinking games, shell game, etc.) also factor into part of the fiction of the universe, which I really appreciate.

One thing I'm really glad about the story is that it tries its hardest, in terms of writing and character dialogue, to avoid the CSI "computers are magic"/ Hackers "Hack The Planet!!" tropes that always pop up in respect to hacking, networking, etc. I'm no IT tech or anything, but the methods used in the game seem a bit more grounded than what I'm used to seeing in hollywood and other games. A bit fantastical and exaggerated, but still better than most.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I think it is. I never got invaded yesterday when I never hacked/tailed anyone. On contrast, when I was doing a ton of tailing and hacking, I was getting invaded constantly. I think they throw you in the pot for matchmaking if you are already doing online stuff.

It definitely is - see this quote from Ubisoft:

“We have a shield,” Belanger explains. “So if someone comes into your game and hacks you, you’re protected. It can’t happen. The less you partake in the multiplayer, the longer the shield. If you’re not hacking people and you’re not into that gameplay, the game will recognize and acknowledge that you’re not into that. That’s fine. The shield will slowly become many hours because we’re trying to adapt. There are so many different players and we’re trying to adapt to all of them and make an experience that works for them.”

I wasn't invaded at all last night because I didn't say "yes" to any of the online prompts (this was over a five hour session). If you want to avoid invasions, I don't think there's even a need to turn off mp, unless you -really- don't want to see the prompts. Just don't say "yes" when you get a purple message.

One thing I'm really glad about the story is that it tries its hardest, in terms of writing and character dialogue, to avoid the CSI "computers are magic"/ Hackers "Hack The Planet!!" tropes that always pop up in respect to hacking, networking, etc. I'm no IT tech or anything, but the methods used in the game seem a bit more grounded than what I'm used to seeing in hollywood and other games. A bit fantastical and exaggerated, but still better than most.

Eh, I'm a little annoyed that Aiden barely touches a keyboard - it's just him and his magical mystery phone. I keep on hoping some NPC will run up to him and slap the damn phone out of his hand.

Shadownet

Banned
So I guess we can all agree that the 3 most BS trophies/achievements in this game is

Social Lubricant
Traced
And Disk Space Full

One that has no consistency unlike other mini games, extremely frustrating and provide zero fun.

One that require mostly on luck and all you can do is hope someone invade you, and even if they do. Its soul crushing to find out that they are stealing data instead of tailing you.

And one where you're completely at the mercy of the game to complete the song list.

Sometimes I wonder if Ubisoft is run a by a bunch of idiots or something. What a bunch of BS trophies/achievements that need to be patch.

hbkdx12

So I'm about 40 hours into the game, well past the honey moon period. Still love the game. I've done a shit ton of side missions, investigations, and online stuff and it still feels like I've just started to scratch the surface. When I saw the Spider Tank previews, I thought it was a tacked on gimmick, but man is it fun and satisfying. Played that mode for at least an hour, the sound of the Spider Tank machine gun is so satisfying on a loud stereo system.

I just dipped into spider tank yesterday. So fun but so short. Not suggesting what's there isn't fun but could have been amazing if it was longer and added a larger moveset. Hell, if they just made it survival or wave based horde mode i'd be ok with that. Lets not even begin to imagine the joy and splender of having coop. Make it happen Ubi!

I wasn't invaded at all last night because I didn't say "yes" to any of the online prompts (this was over a five hour session). If you want to avoid invasions, I don't think there's even a need to turn off mp, unless you -really- don't want to see the prompts. Just don't say "yes" when you get a purple message.

The shield thing is interesting but the purple prompts still show up regardless. I've turned my online setting off from the get go and i see them all the time from remote profiling as well as hacking civilians.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This is disappointing :/ I just came across the first body, and man was it fucking creepy. Shed in the woods, stormy, pouring rain, city lights in the distance.

Which still... makes no sense.

HOW DO THEY KNOW THAT HE'S THE VIGILANTE ESPECIALLY GIVEN THE LENGTHS HE WENT TO in ACT I to hide his identity?

Why doesn't he treat his identity being exposed as a big deal? It is! Police should be hunting him!
Which part of the story are you in? Trying to avoid spoiling it for you because the story addresses this.

Many things may have changed during development, which might explain why there's a bit of a disconnect between the many gameplay systems and the narrative threads that run over top of everything. It happens. I'm having too much fun with the game to really dog the story, to be honest. I really appreciate the fact that there's character motivations and a driving force to the story, which is something I never personally found in games like GTA. (Conversely, RDR, if we're talking about Rockstar games, did an excellent job of this, in my opinion.) A lot of the side missions like QR code hunting (except stuff like chess, drinking games, shell game, etc.) also factor into part of the fiction of the universe, which I really appreciate.

I agree. I like the more sober tone of the story, I actually really like the more driven half-dead inside protagonist, the realistic nature of the world (in comparison to making it a parody or something like GTA). Honestly, I think I'm having more fun with Watch_Dogs than I did with GTA V.

I just wish these little minor things were addressed. It feels like missed opportunities, and they really stand out from what has been a stand out game thus far. I am loving it a ton, and I am enjoying the story.

Double D

I did a (later) act 3 mission last night where I had to
Go to the Blume headquarters and hack in. Really great mission overall. I was sneaking around guards and hacking into things with cameras.

The first 'hack', that needed to be physically done just felt great. There's one guard looking at the computer you need to hack and I timed it so that all the other guards weren't looking and disrupted his comms. Ran over and did the hack and made it back to cover without being noticed.

I was able to then hide and hack the other two terminals. For one of the terminals, the only way I could figure out how to get to it (through cameras) was to explode one of the guys, then have a guy with a camera walk over there, use an 'attract' to get him to walk even further, then use his camera to hack the panel.

After that everyone was alerted so I hit a blackout, ran out of the place and hopped on a bike to escape.

IMO, this is when the game is at it's very best.

Anyone else think the gunplay in this game is way more satisfying than GTA5? I think its the rate of fire and weapon sounds that do it for me; if only there was more gore. PLEASE PATCH WITH AN ULTRA GORE MODE.

Thanks,

Person who bought the game

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
What do you guys think of Trayvon Martin in Watch Dogs? It seems a bit too close to not be intentional.

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/700065-awful-trayvon-martin-reference-found-in-watch-dogs

I see a few people upset about this already.
It's not Trayvon Martin at all. There are tons of hooded black npcs in the game, there is also a randomizer so that no two civilians have the same name unless it's a common generic name like Joe Smith or Martin Lawrence. The age is completely different, the names are completely different, and the pronunciation of the names are completely different. But no no let's just pronounce the name differently to set up a non-existent connection for the sake of controversy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It seems a bit too close to not be intentional.
Does it now.

I have to love that they throw this in at the end of the article:
it should be noted that the enemy NPCs can be randomly generated,
yeah, that should be noted, shouldn't it.

If Ubisoft winds up having to comment on this I'll be kind of disappointed.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I just dipped into spider tank yesterday. So fun but so short. Not suggesting what's there isn't fun but could have been amazing if it was longer and added a larger moveset. Hell, if they just made it survival or wave based horde mode i'd be ok with that. Lets not even begin to imagine the joy and splender of having coop. Make it happen Ubi!

What I don't get is why they tied a trophy to the most un-fun of all the minigames (drinking) instead of the spider tank minigame. My only guess is they realized how awful the drinking game was and decided to connect a trophy to it so people would be forced to play it.

The shield thing is interesting but the purple prompts still show up regardless. I've turned my online setting off from the get go and i see them all the time from remote profiling as well as hacking civilians.

Good to know, thanks!

with this game this is the first time where I see the value of these social sharing abilities (e.g. on PS4) - you can stream to twitch, upload screenshots to twitter, cut youtube videos and share with everyone the wins and fails of your gaming

Yeah this is the first time I've felt like I wanted to share all the random things that happen in the game. I can sort of understand Ubisoft's mandate to have heavy online features when they blend in like they do in Watchdogs.

Razorskin

----- ------
Had my first multiplayer session and the person disconnect right before I got to the last checkpoint, it was against the ctOS moblie app, I hope that isn't prevalent.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Had my first multiplayer session and the person disconnect right before I got to the last checkpoint, it was against the ctOS moblie app, I hope that isn't prevalent.
I've actually done a fair few of those- more fun that I expected- and I haven't had anyone disconnect on me yet at least. I think you get XP even if you lose on the mobile app?

Speaking of which, that I still haven't been able to log into. Been trying once a day or so since launch, it says "The Ubisoft service is not available" or "A network error occurred." Shame, I bet it would look amazing on the Note 3.

For what it's worth I've done a lot of ctOS mobile challenges and the person on the phone/tablet has never disconnected so far. More than likely a connection error on their part.

Edit: I'm pretty sure Hawkian is right about them getting xp on a loss.

hbkdx12

What I don't get is why they tied a trophy to the most un-fun of all the minigames (drinking) instead of the spider tank minigame. My only guess is they realized how awful the drinking game was and decided to connect a trophy to it so people would be forced to play it.
No idea but that's most likely one trophy i will not be getting

hbkdx12

This last fixer contract not appearing is getting on my nerves now!

If you do other side activities, they tend to pop up after a while

I'm still in act one and got the trophy for 40 fixer missions so it's not locked behind story or progression if that helps

If I delete my save and start a new game will that solve the "90% loading" corrupted save bug? I have about 30 hours into the game but I'm getting sick of not being able to play. Been bugged since last week :/

I really hope they patch this soon.

Chabbles

I think it is. I never got invaded yesterday when I never hacked/tailed anyone. On contrast, when I was doing a ton of tailing and hacking, I was getting invaded constantly. I think they throw you in the pot for matchmaking if you are already doing online stuff.

I got hacked several times before even trying any online features.

MindControl

Neo Member

JerC

For what it's worth I've done a lot of ctOS mobile challenges and the person on the phone/tablet has never disconnected so far. More than likely a connection error on their part.

Edit: I'm pretty sure Hawkian is right about them getting xp on a loss.

The first day I did that challenge and every single one of them disconnected. Every other game mode worked but that didn't. It's working now for me so I presume it was just a problem with the mobile app in the first few days.

Kuldar

I have done something like fifty ctOS challenge and only two people disconnected just before the last checkpoint.

malfcn

Sometimes I will get a static chirp while playing.
Is that someone quitting from my world or something?
That sound happens when I get stuck looking for an invasion and can't quit.

malfcn

Sometimes I will get a static chirp while playing.
Is that someone quitting from my world or something?
That sound happens when I get stuck looking for an invasion and can't quit.

New page.
Some of the towers and breeches are quit tricky or fun to solve.

Top Bottom