• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

Andrew.

Banned
You'll be running away from Police a lot.

Stock up on Blackouts. ctOS scans are unavoidable.

It's a bit relentless.

Ok cool. Ill make sure to stock up on crafting parts too just in case I gotta make more Blackouts on the fly. So Jam Coms are gonna be pretty much useless Im guessing?

Really bites that Im at the end. I mustve put 60+ hours into it and I would immediately jump back into the story again if there was a mission replay feature. I just cant start from scratch again anytime soon, and that sucks major balls.

Messiek

Ok cool. Ill make sure to stock up on crafting parts too just in case I gotta make more Blackouts on the fly. So Jam Coms are gonna be pretty much useless Im guessing?

Not useless, you can delay the inevitable.
For me Jam coms made some difference.

Shadownet

Banned
Kavon is also pronounced similarly to Cavan, Kavan, Kayvan, Kayven, Kevan, Keven, Keveon, Kevin, Kevion, Kevon and Kevyn.
Read more at http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/1/Kavon#62SKic48iwmowUDF.99

Lets just agree to disagree. I don't think they did it on purpose. You do. Thats cool.
not really
Lets move on.

Read it with me. "Similarly" it doesnt mean the same thing as "Exactly"

Kevin doesn't pronounce the exact same way as Kavon.

As a matter of fact most of those names up there that are "similar to Kavon are pronounced differently. So your first assumption that Kavon is pronounced like Kevin is wrong.

Why is it so hard for you to believe that some video game software designer might have snuck that little tidbit into the game in reference to that kid?

People sneak in random easter eggs all the time in video games and movies. Some are in good taste, others aren't.

Hey I know this is probably the best game you ever played this year. Probably the Game of the Generation for you. But you can't deny that similarity.

Left you speechless didn't I?

So WD have been out for days now.

What do you think guys? Are you happy with the purchase?

Having a blast?

Did it deserve the hype?

Honestly, I really like it. Have it on PS4.

I'm not mad that I spent $60 at all.

I didn't really pay much attention to the hype or negativity surrounding the game, but from what I do know I don't think it lived up to the hype. However, it's a good game, and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

If you enjoy exploring and atmosphere, this game has tons of it, and I actually really like the story missions.

panda-zebra

doraeomgvnifg.png

So what do you score for 5-in-a-row? :)

OT: Had only the second offer of a revenge hack attempt today after over 50 hours play, when I got there the guy was more than ready for me
on the ctOS bunker island
. Swam over to the motorway bridge but he never quite came in range... that's two attempts at revenge and two utter fails - d'oh!

Kuldar

Congratz for the trophy, you are one of the 0.1%. :p

I finished the main story. I think it's was good, nothing amazing or crazy, but I liked it.
The only thing missing for the 100% completion is the 5 last levels of the extreme drinking game. I think I will play online modes instead of wasting my time with this mini-game.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I know you get a new outfit for unlocking all levels of the Flower mini-game (Psychadelic?) Is that true for the rest of the mini-games?
Yes. Every digital trip gives you a new costume. Side quests don't however.

hbkdx12

I did the entirety of Alone in one trip. The mini game was addicting as hell and enjoyed it immensely. Reward was fine. :)
i wish they gave you more reason to kill the robots. I pretty much avoided them the whole time

I know you get a new outfit for unlocking all levels of the Flower mini-game (Psychadelic?) Is that true for the rest of the mini-games?
yes, each digital trip gets you an outfit

Kuldar

Cool, after finishing the main story I got the audio log I missed during a mission. The only one I still don't have is the seventh audio log from Malcolm Deodato.
Anyone know where I can find this audio log?

dark_chris

i wish they gave you more reason to kill the robots. I pretty much avoided them the whole time

yes, each digital trip gets you an outfit

I didnt mind killing the robots. It was just adding a score. I didnt check but were there leaderboards or something for that mini game?

Chitown B

OR heard me out. You get rid of it cause you already got every other trophies except that last one. Its time to trade it in. No reason to hold on to it unless you got a season pass.

But hey, you do what you like. Ima trade mine in, get $40 toward Destiny.

Dang. The game has only been out a week. You really are that hard up for money? I mean I love achievements too, but... maybe you should've rented it.

Dang. The game has only been out a week. You really are that hard up for money? I mean I love achievements too, but... maybe you should've rented it.

Depending on how he bought it, it may have essentially been a free rental. If you're a GCU member at Best Buy, you could've got it for $48 with a $10 reward certificate back. I already had a $10 reward certificate to use on the game, so it was essentially $38 plus tax for me with my existing reward certificate gaining extended life. Best Buy's current trade-in value for Watch_Dogs on PS4 is $40, which, when combined with the bonus 10% trade-in for GCU, gives you $44 in credit. If I were to trade in today, they'd have paid me to take it, and I'd rinse and repeat with Destiny in September (but probably won't trade in that game, at least not quickly).

I've still got a lot to do in Watch_Dogs though, and I'm enjoying the game, so it'll probably be another month before I trade it in. I doubt the TIV will have dropped too much by then anyway.

abrack08

Impulse bought this yesterday, my girlfriend is out of town for the week and I was bored. I was really hyped after the initial reveal but like a lot of the internet my hype died down way before the game came out. So far, I'm glad I got it, it seems pretty good.

Early Thoughts:
1) Hacking is pretty cool. I mean, it's essentially "Press A to Awesome", and seems fairly limited in what you can actually do, but it's surprisingly satisfying losing cops using the stop-lights or road blocker hacks. Not everything has to be complicated/mulitple button presses to be fun.
2) I had no idea Pawnee was a real place until it was mentioned several times in the game (and I think I've heard you can go there?) Please tell me there are Parks and Rec references!
3) I like Aiden's... partner/helper, the Asian guy, can't remember his name. He's funny, I hope he's in the game more. I'm already tired of Aiden's non-personality. Hopefully WD2 has an Ezio/Ed Kenway to Aiden's Altair/Connor.

How many time did you stay stuck on the level 6?

To be honest, over the course of a few days I probably failed 75+ times.

What made it finally easy for me was that I stopped giving it my full attention, the more I tried hard to focus on the game the more it messed with my mind. I put on some music in the background, sang along to it, browsed gaf between drinks and it just seemed to come so naturally.

Beyond level 6 is so easy though. So just keep trying, once you beat it the rest will be a breeze, even the inverted ones are easy. In fact, I don't think there are any harder rounds in the remaining levels than there are in all of 6.

Read it with me. "Similarly" it doesnt mean the same thing as "Exactly"

Kevin doesn't pronounce the exact same way as Kavon.

As a matter of fact most of those names up there that are "similar to Kavon are pronounced differently. So your first assumption that Kavon is pronounced like Kevin is wrong.

Why is it so hard for you to believe that some video game software designer might have snuck that little tidbit into the game in reference to that kid?

People sneak in random easter eggs all the time in video games and movies. Some are in good taste, others aren't.

Ya I was wrong about that. My cousins name is Davon and we pronounce it dave-in not day-von. So I assumed incorrectly.
Why is it that you have to believe that because you see that name Kavon Fortin it has to be a refference to Trayvon Martin? Has it even popped up outside of that one screen? Its would be tasteless and disrespectful to throw an easter egg of a murdered teenager labelled as a drug dealer in a game millions of people were going to play and I doubt they are that stupid to purposefully put that in the game. Anyways. This is kind of off topic and we can continue this via PM if you would like.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Or how about they fix the damn thing next game so you're not sliding everywhere.

Adapt my butt.
OR heard me out. You get rid of it cause you already got every other trophies except that last one. Its time to trade it in. No reason to hold on to it unless you got a season pass.

But hey, you do what you like. Ima trade mine in, get $40 toward Destiny.

If you win, 30 seconds in real life before the guy sober up. If you lose... Well maybe shorter or longer depends on how far the stupid game respawn you.
You might wanna reread my post. Like carefully. Especially the last part.
Its not a common name that show up frequently because only one black guy NPC with the hoodie has that name.

If you can find a screenshot of a white guy with that name then you've proven me wrong.

I highly doubt some Ubisoft designer put Kavon Fortin in there without at least of that sounding too familiar to Tayvon Martin.
Not really that happy. For $60. Wolfenstein was a better experience. I should have waited till it was $30.

Watch Dogs seem to have a great idea but not really well fleshed out. Half the side missions are copy and paste from other Ubisoft titles with minor changes, they're repetitive and boring. Characters are flat and the story, well I just ended up skipping half the cut scenes. Watching Aiden talking is even worst than Connor from AC3.

The only fun things in the game are online mode, Convoy, and the Digital trips games. Everything else felt like a chore to do.

And to answer the last question. It failed to live up to the hype. Severely.

7.8/10 at best.
The rare quintuple post. Can't say any of them justify it, either.

Your complaints about the game notwithstanding... not only do I have any reason to believe that this NPC is an intentional reference to Trayvon Martin (a pretty nonsensical one at that), I haven't seen any other screenshots depicting him than the original one that started this "controversy," posted by @crushingbort.

I've seen quite a few shots of Aisha Tyler throughout the game in various locations. Is it too much to ask for some other evidence of this malicious easter egg on the part of Ubisoft? So have other people in this thread run into him with the exact same "profile"? I mean, at least this would prove that it wasn't a randomized NPC thrown together for the individual session... Find Demographic -> Choose name from pool -> Find NPC type (lethal enemy) -> assign negative "interesting trait" -> assign random job/clothing/salary/age?

I mean the idea is that there's this exact NPC walking around in everyone's game, right? I don't doubt that he is, necessarily, I mean for all I know every NPC can be found in every game, I have no idea how it works, but thus far I haven't even seen any proof that this one isn't isolated to literally this one player's criminal convoy mission. I mean, I'm legitimately interested to know if others have seen the exact same one, that would be a start at least, but there's a grand total of one image I can find of this NPC anywhere on the internet.

Literally every site I have seen picking up this story uses that exact original screenshot. And from that you have The Young Turks falling all over themselves claiming that this is a "clear" reference and going on to speculate as to why ("likely malicious"). IAcknowledge.net and others throwing into their headlines that the game features a "dead Trayvon Martin easter egg," ignoring with full-throated inanity that in that very screenshot he had been killed by the player who took it.

This is starting to piss me off, not because manufactured controversy is any sort of shock to my system, but because this one seems so apparently contrived by one individual. For the sake of argument, let's say this NPC is completely pre-baked, can be found in anyone's game with that exact name, appearance, and traits, intentionally put there by Ubisoft as an easter egg- but just happened to only be noted and posted by this one player.

Okay. What the hell kind of Trayvon Martin reference is that? Martin was 17, not even yet a legal adult, this NPC is 21. The game has singled out "banned from nightclub" as the most interesting/important trait about this character... nothing even remotely applicable to anything in Trayvon Martin's case. Trayvon Martin was unarmed; as an enemy in a convoy, the NPC was definitely armed and actively attempting to kill the player. Even if we say "dealer" as an occupation would apply (never demonstrated in evidence about Martin, but whatever), what's left is a similar name and clothing item. If his name was Kavon Jackson, would it still be a reference? What about if it was Kavon Martin, but he wasn't wearing a hoodie? Are all relatively young black males in hoodies now references to Trayvon Martin's killing?

Let's say the guy's name was "Joseph Lawrence" and he wasn't wearing a hoodie... but any player could come across him lying dead in a neighborhood street with the profiler trait, "Carrying iced tea and skittles." That would be a Trayvon Martin reference in poor taste. This is... I don't know what the fuck. At this point I am rooting for Ubisoft not to say a goddamn thing about it, because it they have to come out with a statement being like, "one of our programmers must have included that, it doesn't reflect the sentiments of Ubisoft as a whole and we will ensure this never happens again and apologize for any offense bla bla bla" it will be a victory of reactionary nonsense over reason as far as I'm concerned.

Shadownet

Banned
What are these?

Dorayaki, I like mine filled with strawberry though.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorayaki

My buddy got it for me for essentially $45. So if I trade it in to GameStop by the 26th. I can get $40 in store credits. I'm not hard for money. Just don't see a reason to keep it once I finish everything. Its not even one of my favorites games so no point in keeping it. I still have Saints Row 3, cause I actually like that game.

super long ass rant

Maybe I just like seeing my profile avatar that much.

Actually I've have encountered him during one of the convoy missions. After reading that he might be spawned in one of those. I actively profile every enemies I found in convoy, and sure enough I found him.

Maybe other people haven't post pictures because most people don't bother reading about the enemies. Usually you only scan enemies for access code or finding the target. I know after 10 hours into the game I just turned off my mind when profiling enemies/civilians. Just press "square" to collect the money.

And the reason why its 21 is that what open world game like sandbox style that has NPC under the age of 18 in it? Unless they were part of the plot. In Skyrim, you have kids but you can't kill them. In GTA 5, no one under the age of 18. Even in Watch Dogs, Jackson is the only one who is 10. The next younger character is Bedbug and he's 19.

Its not too hard to think that some software designer got a twisted idea to put someone to represent Martin in as a drug dealer, hoodie wearing black guy and hope most people wont notice.

Shadownet

Banned
Its would be tasteless and disrespectful to throw an easter egg of a murdered teenager labelled as a drug dealer in a game millions of people were going to play and I doubt they are that stupid to purposefully put that in the game.

If I know anything about human is that we are capable of doing very idiotic things. So I wouldn't throw out the possibility that this might be some kind of twisted joke that I guess only one or two developers at Ubisoft share.

If I put a guy wearing Hitler mustache in the game and his name was Aldolph Heitler and his occupation was let say "work in a slaughterhouse" I'm sure that would be too much of a "coincidence" as well.

Ah! I'm a noob when it comes to Japanese snacks. I think I've had something similar in Malaysia however, most likely filled with kaya.

I think I know what you're talking about. I've seen it. Japanese snacks honestly got so much more variety than in America. Mostly Asian snacks in general. I have a nearby Korean bakery, I stop by all the time. And there's always something new I haven't try yet.

PS: does anyone know if they plan on releasing future content regarding to multiplayers?
Like more game type?

That might be the only incentive for me to keep the game. Though honestly, a side story singleplayer involving Jordi would be pretty cool too.

Chitown B

My buddy got it for me for essentially $45. So if I trade it in to GameStop by the 26th. I can get $40 in store credits. I'm not hard for money. Just don't see a reason to keep it once I finish everything. Its not even one of my favorites games so no point in keeping it. I still have Saints Row 3, cause I actually like that game.

why "finish everything" in a game you don't like?

Was playing and doing ctos breaches and realized I was being invaded, got on the train and shot off before he could hack me. I think he kept hacking it too because it kept claiming "We are experiencing technical difficulties" and slowing down, so I'd just keep restarting it. Attempted a fast travel so it would tell me his general area so I could laugh at him. He eventually just abandoned it and lost around 200NP, I felt kinda bad. But still the Lulz.

Sorry guy if that was you!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If I put a guy wearing Hitler mustache in the game and his name was Aldolph Heitler and his occupation was let say "work in a slaughterhouse" I'm sure that would be too much of a "coincidence" as well.
Just to be clear, you're saying that's roughly equivalent?

arcoN

Neo Member
about that drinking game....

it was the first "minigame" ive tried - because everyone kept posting that the lvl 6 is so hard.... i dont know - ive got it on first try .... :)

painey

just beat it. The last mission is one of the worst I have ever played. I loved the story, I just fucking hated the story missions. So many stupid ways to restart, joined with slow loading times.

This franchise has potential, but it's got a long way to go. I won't buy 'Press X to hack' 2. I need changes.

Hoodbury

Been focusing too much on multiplayer so last night decided to focus on the campaign. I'm really enjoying it. I think I got to the end of Act 2. I still got invaded 3 times but it felt natural and didn't get in my way. I beat all three and got surprisingly really good points for them all.

This game is great.

Anyone trying to claim that Trayvon Martin excuse me, Kavon Fortin reference was a coincidence or random has to be kidding themselves, no doubt one of the devs on Watch Dogs probably thought this was a funny thing to do.

SJRB

Gold Member
Anyone trying to claim that Trayvon Martin excuse me, Kavon Fortin reference was a coincidence or random has to be kidding themselves, no doubt one of the devs on Watch Dogs probably thought this was a funny thing to do.

"No doubt probably", huh..

Sky Chief

I am interested in buying this game but don't know whether to go for PC or PS4.

Originally, I wanted to play it on my new PC (4770k, 16GB RAM, GeForce 780 clocked at 1+GHz) and 1440x3440 monitor but I am concerned about all the reports of shitty PC performance especially at my resolution.

Any input here? Should I go PC or PS4?

Top Bottom