• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Exactly how effective is blackout in combat? I never used it

Do it completely make you invisible at night or does it just limit their line of sight? Does it alter their patterns/routines?
incredibly effective depending on the lighting conditions. doesn't make you invisible, but at night or indoors it severely limits their line of sight and it does put them into a sort of panic state where they won't move position much. basically, it makes it easy to close distance, and if you keep one eye on the minimap (or heaven forbid you've been able to camera tag them already) you are basically Daredevil in a dark room

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Exactly how effective is blackout in combat? I never used it

Does it completely make you invisible at night or does it just limit their line of sight? Does it alter their patterns/routines?

Yeah, I've used it on missions, in rooms with alot of enemies. Basically, it become Baton City.

Ok I just saw the ending - I see what they are trying to do and it mostly works but I have one point.

I think the story doesn't put the right emphasis on Aiden's Vigilante story. The way I saw it was Aiden didn't actually see himself as a Vigilante until you stop The Club - then he makes a conscious decision to become The Vigilante or The Fox.

What this means is that there's segregation between all the side content and the main story. Despite being referred to as the Vigilante, apart from one mission where we taught how to use the profiling system to detect crime, it certainly doesn't seem like he is a vigilante. In the story he is driven and focused about a singular goal. From the plot it doesn't seem as if Aiden is fighting random crime now and then.

What I think the story was meant to get across (and this is my take) was that Aiden wasn't trying to be a vigilante. He was hunting down his niece's killers and taking down criminals in the process, and so the public assume he is a vigilante. The ending is all about him actually becoming a hero instead of someone being bent on vengeance, or if you go the darker route, now his vengeance is complete he's off to right other wrongs.

So fighting random crime and chasing down serial killers doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me until post game.

Andrew.

Banned
Bought the game two days ago and im halfway through act 2. Enjoying it so far, but it obviously doesn't live up to the hype I had. Still a good game though.

On the negative side, the soundtrack is really dull and boring. No memorable songs (except 2-3) wish is really lousy. Not much to do about that unfortunately.

On the plus side though, the original soundtrack is kick ass.

For me, C.R.E.A.M. is the only good track out of the licensed ones. Oh, and the song by Ministry.

hbkdx12

incredibly effective depending on the lighting conditions. doesn't make you invisible, but at night or indoors it severely limits their line of sight and it does put them into a sort of panic state where they won't move position much. basically, it makes it easy to close distance, and if you keep one eye on the minimap (or heaven forbid you've been able to camera tag them already) you are basically Daredevil in a dark room

Yeah, I've used it on missions, in rooms with alot of enemies. Basically, it become Baton City.

hmm interesting. Too bad i already did all the gang hideouts. Basically would have been an easy 5 step process

CTos scan>Use cameras to profile target>Blackout>Take Down target>get out of dodge

Still in Act 1 though so im sure i'll have plenty of opportunity to put it to good use :)

GulAtiCa

Bpd2c-LCQAAi4aX.jpg:large

Success! That is a Firetruck on top of a train! :)

purg3

slept with Malkin
Finished the game today, and I actually really enjoyed it. The campaign kept me pretty hooked once I got to Act 3 and I just blew through it from there. Now I just have some Fixer missions and some other misc stuff to do before I shelve it until new DLC comes out.

Looking forward to see where Ubi takes this next. There's a ton of potential and I hope we see the same leap from AC1 to AC2 with this series.

I've finally been able to put about three or four hours into this.

At the moment my favourite thing to do is put an electro tune on and literally just walk the streets - doing a bit of hacking and snooping here and there. I've barely scratched the surface of the game's actual content, I've just been appreciating the open world. It says a lot for a game when just walking around in it feels cool.

The controls and character movement are incredibly smooth and responsive. There's a perfect weight and balance to it all. And copying the freerun mechanic from AC works really well.

All this talk about a downgrade, but on PC this game comes very close to delivering on the promise of that initial trailer at times. Rain is awesome, the lighting at night is beautiful, the reflections. And the wind - the trees swaying above you, your coat flapping in the breeze, leaves blowing across your path. I've never experienced that in a game before. It really adds this new sense of three-dimensionality, things feel alive even above your head or just ahead of you. You're not just in this little cocoon moving through the world.

So yeah, can't really comment on story and characters just yet, but as a technical achievement, Watch Dogs is a triumph.

What's everyone's thoughts on the driving in this game? I actually am surprised how much I love it, cars all feel different and the way braking/turning is handled feels surprisingly non-arcadey.

I'm a big driving game person so the interior car camera has quickly become one of my favourite things.

That said, my friend (who is a big fan of GTA) hates the driving in Watch_Dogs and feels that it's clunky.

What say the rest of you?

Thanks for the link... I have uverse, so upnp is off the table, unfortunately. My ps4 is in the dmz though... I've contacted their support. Maybe they'll be able to help. Strange though that this is the only game I've had trouble with so far

Yeah, I've never had any issues connecting to the many multiplayer games I've played over the past 7+ years through PSN except Ubisoft games, once I did everything (port forwarding etc) it's sorted for the most part, but even then all AC games tell me my NAT is moderate.

What's everyone's thoughts on the driving in this game?

I love it to be honest, at first I absolutely hated it. But once I got used to it everything just felt right. I wonder if they got help from the team that's working on The Crew.

Certinty

What's everyone's thoughts on the driving in this game? I actually am surprised how much I love it, cars all feel different and the way braking/turning is handled feels surprisingly non-arcadey.

I'm a big driving game person so the interior car camera has quickly become one of my favourite things.

That said, my friend (who is a big fan of GTA) hates the driving in Watch_Dogs and feels that it's clunky.

I also love the driving, however I dislike how forgiving collisions are, that's my biggest problem with the overall driving model. But yeah I actually like the weight of the cars, how each car handles differently and also how good motorbikes feel.

I absolutely love GTA V and driving in that is a bit better I admit, but for me Watch Dogs has far better driving than Saints Row 1-4, Mafia II, GTA IV and Sleeping Dogs. No idea why the driving in this game is so hated really.

When you are getting invaded by a hacker, does the hacker get to choose where they start the hack? Seems like all the times I've been invaded lately have been centered around incredibly lopsided locations, turning the defense into utter bullshit.

I'm talking about having to track down a guy who could be anywhere on a train platform, or on any of the eight floors of parking garage next to it, hiding in one of the six cars per floor, or going up and down the stairs while I attempt to profile. Or just outside completely.

There isn't nearly enough time or clarity on the minimap to have a fighting chance in these situations, even with a com jam. Or do I just suck, and is there something obvious I'm failing to do to find a hacker in these areas?

I loathe it. It is singularly the worst aspect of the game for me. I'd probably have quit playing long ago if the motorcycles weren't half decent. The cars either feel too slow and clunky, or weightless and too easy to fishtail and spin out at the drop of a hat. For what it's worth, I loved the GTA IV driving, and to a lesser extent, GTA Vs.

I also love the driving, however I dislike how forgiving collisions are, that's my biggest problem with the overall driving model. But yeah I actually like the weight of the cars, how each car handles differently and also how good motorbikes feel.

I absolutely love GTA V and driving in that is a bit better I admit, but for me Watch Dogs has far better driving than Saints Row 1-4, Mafia II, GTA IV and Sleeping Dogs. No idea why the driving in this game is so hated really.

Agreed on the weight, you really feel it in a big van/truck as opposed to a small sporty car. And yeah the collisions are kind of weird - it seems like I just bounce off everything without much of a penalty. I guess that may have been the intention so as to reduce frustration when trying to complete missions, but it does stand in contrast how how good everything else feels.

Basketball

It's not saints row driving and the engine sounds don't loop so that's a good thing

of course it's not as good as Gta 5's but the cars feel somewhat different and heavy which is good. The game has weird clipping though like you pass through the edges of cars when you're about to hit .. i guess Ubisoft didn't want you crashing everywhere

soultron

Banned
Just did the whole 'Alone' digital trip missions in one go. Fun stuff and the jacket is neat.

Yeah, I did the same. Where did you do it? Is it only in The Loop (that was where I did it) or can it be done in the other districts as well?

Loved it, the music was really reminiscent of Silent Hill/Akira Yamaoka. The stealth was rudimentary, but it was a really fun experience still, I though. Loved the separate skill tree and scavenging for bullets/consumables.

Dave1988

When you are getting invaded by a hacker, does the hacker get to choose where they start the hack? Seems like all the times I've been invaded lately have been centered around incredibly lopsided locations, turning the defense into utter bullshit.

I'm talking about having to track down a guy who could be anywhere on a train platform, or on any of the eight floors of parking garage next to it, hiding in one of the six cars per floor, or going up and down the stairs while I attempt to profile. Or just outside completely.

There isn't nearly enough time or clarity on the minimap to have a fighting chance in these situations, even with a com jam. Or do I just suck, and is there something obvious I'm failing to do to find a hacker in these areas?

I loathe it. It is singularly the worst aspect of the game for me. I'd probably have quit playing long ago if the motorcycles weren't half decent. The cars either feel too slow and clunky, or weightless and too easy to fishtail and spin out at the drop of a hat. For what it's worth, I loved the GTA IV driving, and to a lesser extent, GTA Vs.

You are correct in thinking that the hacker chooses where to start the hack. The purple circle area doesn't show up untill he starts profiling you. So, the hacker might be tailing you until he finds a spot that is advantageous to him and then start the hack. There are certain ways to tell that you've been invaded even before a hacker starts the hack. One of them is pausing the game and checking if the characters and environment on the right side of the screen are still moving. If they are, it means that you've been invaded.

Does anyone else not use focus at all? I never even considered using it because it would make the game extremely easy. I'm playing on realistic difficulty and I like the way the game plays. I wish I could turn off the mini-map and some other HUD elements. Also would like an option not to have enemies highlighted to make it harder. I dislike stealth games without a crouch/sneak button
(can't even play Assassin's Creed), but this game actually does a great job of going into auto sneak mode when near enemies.

This is a good game and I personally think it's immensely more entertaining than Infamous SS. Game seems to start a off a bit generic but really finds it's groove around the midway-point. The mission where C.R.E.A.M. starts playing was pretty fucking cool.

4885005.jpg

SJRB

Gold Member
Focus is easy mode for sure, but slow-motion shotgunning a dude in the head with raindrops freezing all around you is cool as fuck.

Ahasverus

You know, this game looks good, but I'm not having fun at all, each chase turns into a 30 mins slob because the ai drives perfeclty and the driving controls are broken, movement is clunky and controls unintuitive. I already bought so meh, I'm gonna keep playing, but I'd take another AC over this.

You are correct in thinking that the hacker chooses where to start the hack. The purple circle area doesn't show up untill he starts profiling you. So, the hacker might be tailing you until he finds a spot that is advantageous to him and then start the hack. There are certain ways to tell that you've been invaded even before a hacker starts the hack. One of them is pausing the game and checking if the characters and environment on the right side of the screen are still moving. If they are, it means that you've been invaded.

I'll have to try that more often to root them out before I get into the terrible defense areas, thanks.

You know, this game looks good, but I'm not having fun at all, each chase turns into a 30 mins slob because the ai drives perfeclty and the driving controls are broken, movement is clunky and controls unintuitive. I already bought so meh, I'm gonna keep playing, but I'd take another AC over this.

It sounds like you just need more time with the game. The driving gets much easier with practice and traffic lights, bollards etc. will flash blue when it's the right time to activate them for a vehicular takedown.

Use a motorbike if you're not. It makes all chases easy.

Hoodbury

You're probably playing it wrong then. Play as a hacker, not a speed demon speedster.

You don't want to outrun the cops, you want to disable them, Once they are all disabled you can just walk off into the sunset.

Use your skill points in the hacking skill tree to unlock all the different things you can hack on the road. Then just drive at a speed that will keep you infront of the ai and just hack a thing and profit. Hack a steam pipe, barricade, traffic light, etc when the indicator tells you to, not before and you will disable the car chasing you.

And why are you being chased so much already?

Kuldar

At first I was a bit confused but now I love it. Some car are hard to use but itt feels rewarding to master them. It's the first modern open world game where I like using a motorbike.

Focus is easy mode for sure, but slow-motion shotgunning a dude in the head with raindrops freezing all around you is cool as fuck.
Yeah using focus when it's raining is glorious.

Are you using your hacking abilities?

Skyzard

Banned
Driving controls are really good and fun imo - for both bikes and cars.

Try not to go max speed all the time like with GTA.

As much as it scares me...the weekly email from Uplay with a synopsis of my week in Chicago vigilantizing is rather nifty...centralised info in my OCD...lol

Agreed on the weight, you really feel it in a big van/truck as opposed to a small sporty car. And yeah the collisions are kind of weird - it seems like I just bounce off everything without much of a penalty. I guess that may have been the intention so as to reduce frustration when trying to complete missions, but it does stand in contrast how how good everything else feels.

Yeah I mean I guess it's obvious why they do it, but I think most open world games are much too easy on you for crashing. Slamming into something at even 40mph should wreck the shit out of you, let alone 55+. It's my main beef with the driving. Everything else feels pretty tight. I'd give the driving a solid B overall.

Andrew.

Banned
Is the focus mode something you have to build up and deplete? I guess I haven't paid much attention.

Well once you unlock it, it refills up over time after usage. You can make it last longer through upgrading and you can also temporarily make the meter larger by purchasing beverages at bars or restaurants.

The meds refill it immediatley which helps immensely with the "four kills in one Focus" trophy.

cackhyena

Well once you unlock it, it refills up over time after usage. You can make the meter larger through upgrading and you can also temporarily make the meter longer by purchasing beverages at bars or restaurants.

The meds refill it immediatley which helps immensely with the "four kills in one Focus" trophy.
Ah, thanks.

soultron

Banned
Does anyone else not use focus at all? I never even considered using it because it would make the game extremely easy. I'm playing on realistic difficulty and I like the way the game plays. I wish I could turn off the mini-map and some other HUD elements. Also would like an option not to have enemies highlighted to make it harder. I dislike stealth games without a crouch/sneak button
(can't even play Assassin's Creed), but this game actually does a great job of going into auto sneak mode when near enemies.

This is a good game and I personally think it's immensely more entertaining than Infamous SS. Game seems to start a off a bit generic but really finds it's groove around the midway-point. The mission where C.R.E.A.M. starts playing was pretty fucking cool.

4885005.jpg

If you're playing on PC you can turn the minimap off. There's an Nvidia tweak guide somewhere on the net that details what setting to edit in the config.

Yeah I mean I guess it's obvious why they do it, but I think most open world games are much too easy on you for crashing. Slamming into something at even 40mph should wreck the shit out of you, let alone 55+. It's my main beef with the driving. Everything else feels pretty tight. I'd give the driving a solid B overall.

Yeah, so true. I slam into other cars full speed and they go up in a fiery wreck, and my hood just has a dent in it. =\

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

It really does grow on you. I still think motorcycles suit Aiden best but I'm way more confident with cars then I was when I started playing
Does anyone else not use focus at all? I never even considered using it because it would make the game extremely easy. I'm playing on realistic difficulty and I like the way the game plays.
Props to you, I totally rely on focus in complicated situations on Realistic..

Special C

Does anyone give the Hotspots a moment of their time?
Occasionally I will read the history, or scope around a bit at a possible view.

But most of the time I run up, check in and run off..

I grab a gift if there are 3 or more gifts there, if there are 2 I leave it alone, and if there are 0-1 I leave a gift.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
When you are getting invaded by a hacker, does the hacker get to choose where they start the hack?
Invaders get 40s to hide and start the hack. The surrounding area on the minimap gets a red hue so they can't get TOO far before starting the hack.

Grisby

Yeah, I did the same. Where did you do it? Is it only in The Loop (that was where I did it) or can it be done in the other districts as well?

Loved it, the music was really reminiscent of Silent Hill/Akira Yamaoka. The stealth was rudimentary, but it was a really fun experience still, I though. Loved the separate skill tree and scavenging for bullets/consumables.
Yeah, I think it's only the loop. Didn't quit out of it but I assume you can come back to finish off all the generators.

Right, the tone was a little creepy and the empty city gives off some nice atmosphere.

Special C

Man one of those QR codes is just IMPOSSIBLE for me for some reason. I've spent 2 hours trying to solve it, what a waste of my time. Now I find myself obsessing over it.

sjay1994

Cash Rules Everything Around Me

C.R.E.A.M

Get the money

Dolla dolla bill ya'll!

This has been stuck in my head ever since that mission.

soultron

Banned
Cash Rules Everything Around Me

C.R.E.A.M

Get the money

Dolla dolla bill ya'll!

This has been stuck in my head ever since that mission.

Please tell me you've heard the song before. Please.
Yes, it's good. Also, Nas's "One Mic" is also another good track.

Top Bottom