• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

Gvaz

Banned
Haven't played SR4, but to me driving in SR3 felt like absolute garbage.

Loved GTA V driving, Watch_Dogs took a bit of getting used to but once I did I love it too (although not as much as GTA V). To each their own I suppose.

If I'm playing a videogame, I want driving to be like Dirt 3. I dont want driving to be like actual cars, that's not fun. Cars have fat asses and shitty acceleration.

Hoodbury

Well do you?
BpfjKTtIMAAhJRh.jpg

I swear the guy who coded these signs is a Gaffer.

Sojgat

What's everyone's thoughts on the driving in this game? I actually am surprised how much I love it, cars all feel different and the way braking/turning is handled feels surprisingly non-arcadey.

I'm a big driving game person so the interior car camera has quickly become one of my favourite things.

That said, my friend (who is a big fan of GTA) hates the driving in Watch_Dogs and feels that it's clunky.

What say the rest of you?

I think it's the best I've ever played in an open world game. I've completed all the fixer contracts and have been replaying them endlessly, whereas in other open world games I usually find the driving missions a chore.

If Ubisoft change the driving dramatically for the sequel, I'll be super pissed at all the people who have been complaining about it.

I didnt until i learned using focus is faster than pausing to see if someone is in your game. Being invaded usually goes 1. Drive a straightaway 2. Slow down and look behind me 3. Snipe in face.

I dont know if i feel bad or not that 90% of the people invading me have no chance.

Note : The tradeoff is constant paranoia, usually leading to me taking to the ocean or a motorcycle after each hacking i commit, never really stopping to smell the roses or do missions anymore. This game is awesome.

The other trade-off is that sounds really repetitive and boring. You might as well be offline if you don't enjoy the tension of defending invasions.

Edit: I'm of the opinion that there should be no way to preemptively check for invaders

I think it's the best I've ever played in an open world game. I've completed all the fixer contracts and have been replaying them endlessly, whereas in other open world games I usually find the driving missions a chore.

If Ubisoft change the driving dramatically for the sequel, I'll be super pissed at all the people who have been complaining about it.

A lor of missions give me a strong Stuntman vibe, Reflection still as good as I remember

What's everyone's thoughts on the driving in this game? I actually am surprised how much I love it, cars all feel different and the way braking/turning is handled feels surprisingly non-arcadey.

I'm a big driving game person so the interior car camera has quickly become one of my favourite things.

That said, my friend (who is a big fan of GTA) hates the driving in Watch_Dogs and feels that it's clunky.

What say the rest of you?

I would say GTAV was the best, a great balance between arcadey and realistic physics.

I'd say GTAV > GTAIV > WD

The only part of the driving I don't like is the sliding/bouncing off other cars and the jump physics. Controlling all the different vehicles is just fine otherwise.

Future

Driving is pretty crappy. I feel like they made it this way to make the multiplayer challenges of stopping drivers easier.

I mean, like with anything you can get used to it. It just doesn't come that intuitive. All cars are just really swervy if that makes any sense and you can lose control too easily.

Leb

Was just checking on the Guru3d thread about the real Ultra Graphics xml for the PC version, and just wow at the new pics from today showing the ground with some tessellation type effects and even better reflections.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=389848&page=7

Hmm, that first round of tweaks seemed like not a whole of anything, but that shot with the reflections seems a lot more true-to-life than anything I remember seeing from my playthrough. Can anyone confirm that in a similarly staged shot?

I didnt until i learned using focus is faster than pausing to see if someone is in your game. Being invaded usually goes 1. Drive a straightaway 2. Slow down and look behind me 3. Snipe in face.

I dont know if i feel bad or not that 90% of the people invading me have no chance.

Note : The tradeoff is constant paranoia, usually leading to me taking to the ocean or a motorcycle after each hacking i commit, never really stopping to smell the roses or do missions anymore. This game is awesome.

The most amazing invasions are the ones where both parties know the other party knows all the tricks. I invaded a guy that absolutely knew I came into his game, so I did not follow him. He decided to high tail to some spot he has where he hides out and it is near impossible to spot him. So I dont go to where he wants me to go. I go a backway use some cameras and hack the shit out of him then hid in a car and he never found me.

Trace

Banned
Holy shit, I need to try this then. I'm on a non-OC i5 4670K and a non-OC GTX 770.

Eh, the meme is pretty prevalent all over the internet, in my experience.

My one note is that the config also sets textures to ultra, which after awhile stutters my game hard. Haven't tested what it looks like on actually playable settings (high textures), I would assume it would look almost as good :p

jadedm17

The other trade-off is that sounds really repetitive and boring. You might as well be offline if you don't enjoy the tension of defending invasions.

Edit: I'm of the opinion that there should be no way to preemptively check for invaders

You know, to be honest I do too. This is something I hope is fixed in the sequal. Honestly hacking in this game - giving and receiving - is some of the most fun gaming ive had in a while, but I don't think what its become is what it was meant to be. If they could somehow patch these signs id be all for it.

Example : I hacked a guy earlier who knew I was there and just booked it away from me second after I entered (I assume using these signs). Problem was - thanks to the gaffer who pointed this out - at 1000m you get a prompt to teleport near them. He drove so far I did it twice. Hilariously he let his guard down and I fucked him up from a rooftop.

Really though I think the hackingg is completely different than they intended; I wonder if they'll ever even comment on that?

The most amazing invasions are the ones where both parties know the other party knows all the tricks. I invaded a guy that absolutely knew I came into his game, so I did not follow him. He decided to high tail to some spot he has where he hides out and it is near impossible to spot him. So I dont go to where he wants me to go. I go a backway use some cameras and hack the shit out of him then hid in a car and he never found me.

Awesome - funny how the smartest still forget about cameras. I had similar success to a guy who knew right away and hid on one of those spiral parking garages and didn't move. I got under him, used the camera right behind him (check your six dude) and hid right down the street underground. The hilarious climax was him finding me at ~96% and debating to identify me or just shoot me: I ran up the stairs and completed the hack before the top.

David___

Banned
Just finished the game. Don't know why but I feel Act 3 is the best part story-wise. After that it seems like a clusterfuck till the end of the game.

I also could envision Aiden going against DedSec in the sequel because of the message they had during the credits.

Overall I enjoyed it a lot. Hope they build on the emergent gameplay in the sequel if anything.

The Cowboy

I don't really care for the lighting he uses, but I would that tessellation and reflections in my game. Is there a way to get that separately?
Its a modifying of a game file, i have no idea of the settings the person changed to get the effects, but Its likely easily possible to just have certain things adjusted and not just all of them based on reading the thread.

Dries

Its a modifying of a game file, i have no idea of the settings the person changed to get the effects, but Its likely easily possible to just have certain things adjusted and not just all of them based on reading the thread.

Yeah, probably. The question is how though. Sadly, I'm not good at this stuff at all.

The more I play, the more tedious this game gets. It's decent in short bursts, but the real sense of fun just isn't there like it is in other open world titles.

Not a bad game, by any stretch of the imagination, but it's sort of bland.

[/b]

You know, to be honest I do too. This is something I hope is fixed in the sequal. Honestly hacking in this game - giving and receiving - is some of the most fun gaming ive had in a while, but I don't think what its become is what it was meant to be. If they could somehow patch these signs id be all for it.

Example : I hacked a guy earlier who knew I was there and just booked it away from me second after I entered (I assume using these signs). Problem was - thanks to the gaffer who pointed this out - at 1000m you get a prompt to teleport near them. He drove so far I did it twice. Hilariously he let his guard down and I fucked him up from a rooftop.

Really though I think the hackingg is completely different than they intended; I wonder if they'll ever even comment on that?

Awesome - funny how the smartest still forget about cameras. I had similar success to a guy who knew right away and hid on one of those spiral parking garages and didn't move. I got under him, used the camera right behind him (check your six dude) and hid right down the street underground. The hilarious climax was him finding me at ~96% and debating to identify me or just shoot me: I ran up the stairs and completed the hack before the top.

That's the thing, Assassins Creed was meant to have the same "blend in with the crowd" multiplayer but it really is anything but. To be successful you need to sprint around on rooftops and such. I don't think I've ever read anything to suggest they're dealing with it. Business as usual pretty much.

Spades

Online hacking is so shit in this game. I wouldn't mind if it was interesting but the actual gameplay of it is awful and it is nothing more than an irritating distraction.

Talk about shoehorning a feature in.

Spades

Care to explain why?

I'll give you an example. I was in the middle of unlocking a ctOS Tower. After figuring out how to get up to it and unlock the doors, I was half way up when I got hacked. I continued up and then had to stand there and wait for the hacker in my game to finish up before I was able to activate the ctOS Tower and be on my way. The alternative was to make my way all the way down from where I was and then spend ages trying to find the guy.

I know by its nature it's supposed to be an intrusion but I just wanted to play the game, man.

Kuldar

I'll give you an example. I was in the middle of unlocking a ctOS Tower. After figuring out how to get up to it and unlock the doors, I was half way up when I got hacked. I continued up and then had to stand there and wait for the hacker in my game to finish up before I was able to activate the ctOS Tower and be on my way. The alternative was to make my way all the way down from where I was and then spend ages trying to find the guy.

I know by its nature it's supposed to be an intrusion but I just wanted to play the game, man.
Well if you don't want to be invaded by other players when you are doing side activites you just have to disable online invasions in the online option.

So, online hacking is shit because you don't want to take part in it?

Just disable it in the options then if you're gonna be a spoil sport.

Kuldar

As I'm listening again all audio logs, I'm wondering what people think about them in Watch_Dogs?

One part of me think that they are great because they give more insight about Blume, Dedsec and some of story protagonists. It was cool to be reward with audio logs when doing QR code, ctOS breach and other stuff.
An other part of me is sad that that people who don't bother to find them will miss these informations.
For exemple (end stuff spoiler)
I did not not kill Maurice because of what I heard in his audio logs. This guy is already in hell

Kysen

So glad clara got wasted like that, hated that character so much. That maurice character was also a joke, didn't hesitate at all killing him.
Ubisoft needs to make their credits skippable, must have been a good 10min of nothing but names no one is going to read.

Liamc723

Is it just me or is it almost impossible to keep a good reputation in this game? The handling of the cars makes it so hard to avoid crashing into citizens sometimes.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Anybody know where I can find Ms Crumby song? I was roaming the city for 3 hours and couldn't find anything.

I've been stuck at 2 songs on this achievement. From what I've read elsewhere, most songs can be obtained by using the song sneak app while in stores/bars/news stands, but there are 3 songs that can only be obtained by hacking someones phone and that is one of them.

Kuldar

Is it just me or is it almost impossible to keep a good reputation in this game? The handling of the cars makes it so hard to avoid crashing into citizens sometimes.
It's you. I played something like 70 hours and my reputation is full good since the first few hours.
If you want to improve your reputation, do some crime detections. If you rescue the victim and make a non lethal takedown on the criminal, you get a great reputation boost.

Never had a problem with reputation, just drive carefully, evade the cops rather than fight them, and do a few crimes in progress.

I wish they had trophies for the digital trips. I would have much more fun getting to a certain level on Spider Tank or completing a run of Alone than grinding through 16 ctOS breaches on the way to the plat. Plus it would mean a lot more people would experience them.

Gaf,

You're the best place to come for life changing decisions hahaha. I won a PS3 copy of watch_dogs at a stag last night, and my brothers friend is a manager at EB games who will let me swap it to the PS4 or PC version without issues.

Which version should I get?? The pros and cons are as follows.

PS4:
+ Me and my bro can play (if he had won the game he said he would have swapped it to the new UFC though)
? trophies?
? can play online with a few friends? (I don't know if the game has online)'

PC:
+ Better graphics?? (I've got an SLI R9 280x machine, 4k in the future?)
- dealing with uplay not steam.

Top Bottom