• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

Pjsprojects

Gaf,

You're the best place to come for life changing decisions hahaha. I won a PS3 copy of watch_dogs at a stag last night, and my brothers friend is a manager at EB games who will let me swap it to the PS4 or PC version without issues.

Which version should I get?? The pros and cons are as follows.

PS4:
+ Me and my bro can play (if he had won the game he said he would have swapped it to the new UFC though)
? trophies?
? can play online with a few friends? (I don't know if the game has online)'

PC:
+ Better graphics?? (I've got an SLI R9 280x machine, 4k in the future?)
- dealing with uplay not steam.

Well I bought the PC version and gave up trying to get it running nice.
Went out and bought the PS4 version which runs pretty good,still full of bugs and crappy frame rate when lots of action but ran well enough for me to complete the game.

cilonen

Online hacking is so shit in this game. I wouldn't mind if it was interesting but the actual gameplay of it is awful and it is nothing more than an irritating distraction.

Talk about shoehorning a feature in.

I tend to agree. I turned invasions on to try tailing which was a bit pointless really and forgot I had it left on; a short time later I hacked a passerby who was a Blume agent and placed some sort of bounty on me. A few moments later and I get notified some one is hacking me as I'm trying to figure out a route up to a ctOS tower. So what happens if I get hacked? Jack shit as far as I can make out, I lose some internet points. Wow. I ignored the whole event, the only inconvenience it gave me was that when I found my way in to the ctOS tower I had to wait for the hacker to finish hacking me before I could unlock the tower.

I turned online invasions back off. Complete waste of effort. I hope the decryption team events are better.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'll give you an example. I was in the middle of unlocking a ctOS Tower. After figuring out how to get up to it and unlock the doors, I was half way up when I got hacked. I continued up and then had to stand there and wait for the hacker in my game to finish up before I was able to activate the ctOS Tower and be on my way. The alternative was to make my way all the way down from where I was and then spend ages trying to find the guy.

I know by its nature it's supposed to be an intrusion but I just wanted to play the game, man.
I tend to agree. I turned invasions on to try tailing which was a bit pointless really and forgot I had it left on; a short time later I hacked a passerby who was a Blume agent and placed some sort of bounty on me. A few moments later and I get notified some one is hacking me as I'm trying to figure out a route up to a ctOS tower. So what happens if I get hacked? Jack shit as far as I can make out, I lose some internet points. Wow. I ignored the whole event, the only inconvenience it gave me was that when I found my way in to the ctOS tower I had to wait for the hacker to finish hacking me before I could unlock the tower.

I turned online invasions back off. Complete waste of effort. I hope the decryption team events are better.
Moments like these, and the experience of invading other players, make the game for some people. There's nothing wrong with finding it pointless or inconvenient, and if you merely want to ignore it and enjoy the rest of the game that's why the option to disable it exists. I don't think the game can really be blamed for you forgetting you had left it on.

Pimpwerx

So glad clara got wasted like that, hated that character so much. That maurice character was also a joke, didn't hesitate at all killing him.
Ubisoft needs to make their credits skippable, must have been a good 10min of nothing but names no one is going to read.
Yup. And then placing a little story blurb at the very end of those ridiculous credits. I think it went through 5 different songs as the credits rolled.

Anyway, I liked Clara. I think Aiden is a supreme douche, and I don't want to see him in the sequel. What a thoroughly unlikable main character. The redesign didn't help at all either. He's just a dick, and the lame Batman voice sucked. Poor Jacks. Idolizing a prick of an uncle.

Anyway, time for side missions as I chase that plat. PEACE.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Is it even possible to kill other players by running them over in this game? I just found an online hacker and he tried to drive away. I shot his car up good so I was able to catch him up once I got in a car. His car was basically dead so he got out of his car and just as he got out his door I drove straight in to him at full speed crushing him against his own car. He then gets up like it was nothing, gets on a bike and gets away. The fuck?

Kinthalis

Banned
Sooo both are crappy? :(

PC version runs fine, specially with Textures set to High not Ultra, actually, it runs BETTER than on a PS4 with textures on high for me. It also looks a lot better. Not sure what he's talking about. There's not way the game will look or run better on PS4 than on your rig.

Gameplay is the same.

Kinthalis

Banned
Gaf,

You're the best place to come for life changing decisions hahaha. I won a PS3 copy of watch_dogs at a stag last night, and my brothers friend is a manager at EB games who will let me swap it to the PS4 or PC version without issues.

Which version should I get?? The pros and cons are as follows.

PS4:
+ Me and my bro can play (if he had won the game he said he would have swapped it to the new UFC though)
? trophies?
? can play online with a few friends? (I don't know if the game has online)'

PC:
+ Better graphics?? (I've got an SLI R9 280x machine, 4k in the future?)
- dealing with uplay not steam.

"dealing with Uplay" is all of pressing "B" on the gamepad once to exit it once you're done playing. It's not a big deal.

Pimpwerx

I didnt until i learned using focus is faster than pausing to see if someone is in your game. Being invaded usually goes 1. Drive a straightaway 2. Slow down and look behind me 3. Snipe in face.

I dont know if i feel bad or not that 90% of the people invading me have no chance.

Note : The tradeoff is constant paranoia, usually leading to me taking to the ocean or a motorcycle after each hacking i commit, never really stopping to smell the roses or do missions anymore. This game is awesome.
He he, wouldn't work on me. The key to hacking is hacking the phone and gtfo of dodge before initiating the transfer. Drive to a populated area nearby and initiate the hack near a crowded center, but your hiding spot should be on the fringe of the final circle. That way, part of their time is spent driving to a new spot, then figuring out where you are from there.

Two of my favorite hacks involved the use of a traffic light to cause s pileup. I initiated the hack so the pileup was on the edge of the circle, and used the cars and smoke as cover. He ran over there a few times, but visibility made it easy to stay hidden. I was also using environment hacks to distract him. The other was when I initiated the hack across a street, then closed a gate and hid behind a fence. The target circle was so tight, but the closed gate is easy to ignore. I also try to ditch my car in a nearby pileup, because I spot most hackers by their oddly placed cars, even if they're not in it.

Anyone else kill a hacker before he even started a hack? Fixers are in your game before they warn you, so if you ever see weird driving, or a pedestrian crossing a street, take them out. I rammed one guy on a motorcycle when I saw him overtake another car, and I shot another guy in his car when he carjacked someone down the street. I only had a hunch both times, but was surprised when the game told me I'd stopped a hacker. LOL. I am very conscious of the cars and pedestrians around me in the game. Very cool aspect to this game. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

Is it even possible to kill other players by running them over in this game? I just found an online hacker and he tried to drive away. I shot his car up good so I was able to catch him up once I got in a car. His car was basically dead so he got out of his car and just as he got out his door I drove straight in to him at full speed crushing him against his own car. He then gets up like it was nothing, gets on a bike and gets away. The fuck?
You can. Game might have glitches for you. I have issues with the automatic shotgun and light machine gun "jamming" on me. PEACE.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
It's not impossible by any means, but your rep can really go to shit very quickly.

Does it matter? I jut feel like killing all the civilians in my way, but is there a reason not to? I usually keep myself in the white by doing a few dumb crime missions.

"dealing with Uplay" is all of pressing "B" on the gamepad once to exit it once you're done playing. It's not a big deal.

Excuse my ignorance. What I meant by that on the PC version is that, is it run through steam? Or do I need to download the ubisoft client (I called uplay) in order to run the game.

I think I may still swing for the PC one.

Kinthalis

Banned
Excuse my ignorance. What I meant by that on the PC version is that, is it run through steam? Or do I need to download the ubisoft client (I called uplay) in order to run the game.

I think I may still swing for the PC one.

It still uses the uplay client, but it auto installs when you install the game from Steam (if it's not already installed).

But it runs in the background when you load the game and exits where you are done. Not an issue.

Is there any good ways to get bounties? I love getting invaded. Ive just been driving around hacking people and hoping they call it in.

Pimpwerx

Is there any good ways to get bounties? I love getting invaded. Ive just been driving around hacking people and hoping they call it in.
I got most of my bounties after completing a few hacks or tails successfully in a row. The higher your notoriety, the more likely, I think. I don't get invaded anymore, even though my notoriety is over 2000. Probably because I was doing the story the last 3 days. PEACE.

Chitown B

it is a flawed gaming mechanic when I'd rather just let the cops kill me because it's just annoying to try and run away. They are psychic and never let up, ever.

Qwell

Gggrrrr got hit with the stupid stuck at 90% loading bug... I wish I had just paid a little more attention to the threads and stuff while playing because I had just activated the Papavero Stealth Edition reward. Even though Ubisoft is saying that has nothing to do with it, it sure is interesting that I have put a good 12+ hours into the game so far, unlocked all the weapons, done a lot of the side quests and just about finished 44% of the story and it was only right after I unlocked the stealth car that I got the bug.

I hope they can find a fix that doesn't destroy the save file, that would really suck.

Been a fun game so far, little annoying you can't use weapons while driving, at least wish you could use the support items like IED and Lure's etc.

Pimpwerx

it is a flawed gaming mechanic when I'd rather just let the cops kill me because it's just annoying to try and run away. They are psychic and never let up, ever.
It's a reality in all these GTA style games. If it was easy to evade a pursuit, it would ruin other parts of the game. More important parts. I do think there should be an option to turn cops on or off, or even traffic on and off. That would be awesome to hold street racing tournaments or just have fun wrecking shit around the city. Has any game ever had that option toggle? PEACE.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Well, just finished up. I was hoping the story would redeem Aiden as a character. Nope. The game has great gameplay, so it's not a total loss, but Aiden is such a dick and the story is so poorly written that it really drags down the rest of the game for me. The gang hideouts were great, the fixer contracts and convoys were fun until they started getting repetitive, and some of the missions were entertaining. I'm still glad I purchased this at launch and I feel as though I got my money's worth, but for WD2 I hope Ubisoft does a complete revamp of Aiden and puts some effort into not killing off all the interesting NPCs in the game. For as much as they tout their writing staff, the story in this game and Aiden himself were focus grouped to hell and back and cliche-ridden. It was a real disappointment, particularly because the game has some great mechanics.

Sojgat

Not flawed, just not very well explained. Cops are a joke when you know what you're doing and have the right upgrades.

NicolasVH

Neo Member
So, I've just finished the storyline of Watch_Dogs and I'm completely lost. I might be dumb or didn't pay enough attention, but I really didn't get what was happening towards the end. Well, not just the end. But the end in particular.
It's still very unclear to me as to why this whole thing started, i.e. why did 'people' want to kill Aiden. Who is this Rose Washington women? What did Clara do wrong - she seemed to betrayed Aiden but I must have missed the part on how she did that.
That and a lot more questions arise for me. So if anyone cares to elaborate or just has a link to an external website or a post on NeoGaf which might help me, it would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Pimpwerx

Well, just finished up. I was hoping the story would redeem Aiden as a character. Nope. The game has great gameplay, so it's not a total loss, but Aiden is such a dick and the story is so poorly written that it really drags down the rest of the game for me. The gang hideouts were great, the fixer contracts and convoys were fun until they started getting repetitive, and some of the missions were entertaining. I'm still glad I purchased this at launch and I feel as though I got my money's worth, but for WD2 I hope Ubisoft does a complete revamp of Aiden and puts some effort into not killing off all the interesting NPCs in the game. For as much as they tout their writing staff, the story in this game and Aiden himself were focus grouped to hell and back and cliche-ridden. It was a real disappointment, particularly because the game has some great mechanics.
The only characters that should ever return are T-Bone, Jordi and a 21 year old Jackson Pearce with all his uncle's l33t skills, with none of the douchebaggery. PEACE.

fozzy

Had an afternoon of bad performance in the online hacking. Went from over 5000 to nearly 3000.

Do you lose your perk when you go under the point limit at which you acquire it?

Also during one of the last unsuccessful hacks I tried, my would be victim seemed to be on a roof behind cover awaiting to be hacked. With only one way in to him he was shooting at me before I even got to profile him. May have to look in to that as a tactic to get some easy points.

Does anyone else think that the invaders transport is louder than the NPCs whilst being tailed? It's a dead give away even if their driving is smooth.

About to do the
prison
mission in act one on ps4. May have to do some side missions for awhile after.
So far this and dark souls 2 are my personal goty canidates although that may change if farcry 4 is anywhere near as enjoyable as farcry 3.

Liamc723

Does it matter? I jut feel like killing all the civilians in my way, but is there a reason not to? I usually keep myself in the white by doing a few dumb crime missions.

It just gets annoying when the public are calling the police on you all the time.

Vodh

So, I've just finished the storyline of Watch_Dogs and I'm completely lost. I might be dumb or didn't pay enough attention, but I really didn't get what was happening towards the end. Well, not just the end. But the end in particular.
It's still very unclear to me as to why this whole thing started, i.e. why did 'people' want to kill Aiden. Who is this Rose Washington women? What did Clara do wrong - she seemed to betrayed Aiden but I must have missed the part on how she did that.
That and a lot more questions arise for me. So if anyone cares to elaborate or just has a link to an external website or a post on NeoGaf which might help me, it would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Remember the first job at Merlaut, from the intro? Aiden was there, supported by Damien, trying to steal some money from the people. They've unknowingly started downloading the Rose Washington video.

The video showed Mayor Rushmoore, who was having an affair with her, killing the girl. It became the main hook Lucky Quinn had on the mayor. Since he owned the hotel, hea had some good security in there.

Back in the day, he used to contract Clara for some little hacking jobs - and he made her find the hackers (Damien and Aiden) who may have gained access to the video that let him control the mayor. So she was the one that found him - and she subsequently started helping him once the guilt kicked in. Quinn hired Marcus to kill Aiden and we all know how that went.

And since Aiden started digging instead of letting go, he pretty much pressured everyone involved (mainly Quinn) to go after him - but for the most part, he was just a loose end more than anything else, at least at the start.

Hope that helps clarify the story somewhat :)

Kuldar

Well

People wanted to kill Aiden and Damien because as they were stealing money and information in the Merlaut Hotel, they stole a part of the video that shows the Mayor killing Rose Washington. She was a Blume employee who had an affair with the mayor. Quinn wanted to keep for himself this video as he used it as leverage again the mayor. If someone else got it, then his leverage is weakened. He didn't know that Aiden and Damien only got an useless part of the video.

Clara was the one who gave the identity of Aiden and Damien to Quinn when he wanted to know who stole the video at Merlaut Hotel. Finding people was her job when she was working for Quinn.

If you have other questions, go on.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
It's a reality in all these GTA style games. If it was easy to evade a pursuit, it would ruin other parts of the game. More important parts. I do think there should be an option to turn cops on or off, or even traffic on and off. That would be awesome to hold street racing tournaments or just have fun wrecking shit around the city. Has any game ever had that option toggle? PEACE.
GTA IV did in free roam online.

Also now I'm curious. What's with the PEACE at the end of every post?

Sojgat

I have the 30 second heli hack, and jam comms. But try and evade on foot - they never go away.

If you get out of their line of sight and hide they will eventually go away. Go inside a building or under a bridge and get into cover. However if you don't escape their view first, they will follow you. So if they see you go under a bridge and not come out, even if they can't find you, they're going to stick around, because they know you're still there.

Not flawed, just not very well explained. Cops are a joke when you know what you're doing and have the right upgrades.

And by that, I take it that you mean get to the watah.

Which, by the way, is also a flawed gameplay mechanic, since the police should really have boats.

GulAtiCa

The "Magic Smoke" trophy/achievement of killing 4 enemies with 1 focus, is actually quite easy. Get the cops involved, go focus and grenade them. Using the focus pill helps to make sure the grenade hits them in time.

Gvaz

Banned

hawk2025

You're playing it wrong.

They are certainly not psychic, and making judicious use of garages, parking lots, and other structures to escape and hide is VERY effective
The trick is that you can't always outrun the cops; you have to outsmart them using your tools.

Sojgat

And by that, I take it that you mean get to the watah.

Which, by the way, is also a flawed gameplay mechanic, since the police should really have boats.

You don't need to go in the water to lose them, but you're right, the fact that you can do that is flawed. I guess it's just an easy way out for the player, just like there being no real penalty for dying. It's the problem Ubisoft is faced with making tactical action games (already dumbed down as they may be): they build great systems, then realize that they're probably over the heads of the average player. So they build in an easy gameplay workaround, meaning players only really have to engage with the systems if they want to.

GD71

Banned
You guys take your story element too seriously. There are games that demand a good plot - the Last of Us, Heavy Rain, that sort of thing. Then there are games like Watch Dogs and GTA V which make a playground to have fun in and shape a bunch of entertaining missions around it. The story is nothing more than glue, holding it together. I have, at no point, thought, what a shit plot, I wanna give up. Incidentally, I like Aiden, Jordi, and Clara. I don't get the hate.

Tohsaka

20140607142745jrf01.jpg
Finally, that level 6 drinking game in Pawnee was the worst.

Qwell

Question regarding the drinking game, are different people different difficulty? I have only tried the Pawnee one and I can't make it past round 4, trying to unlock the Piledriver shotgun. I didn't bother trying other people because I figured they were all the same game, that is the only gun I haven't unlocked yet, and just figured I wouldn't be able to.

Top Bottom