• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

He's a guy at IGN who literally just writes reviews like "This game is really awesome. So cool. I shot someone and it made me feel badass." :p

I was acknowledging someone's opinion but asking them to explain it more clearly.

And shooting someone in a videogame doesn't make you feel badass? I think the guy might be onto something haha. But really, if anything, he sounds like one of those guys that is willing to buy into and believe the vision that devs try to sell about their games. That isn't always a bad thing if the game does a good job of keeping you immersed. For example, devs do all sorts of subtle little things to get that "Oh, that's awesome" or "So badass!" reaction out of the player. A lot of these things sometimes are things that don't drastically change the game in anyway, but they add a certain flair, style or identity to the game.

It's sorta like how so many people are super excited about stylishly hopping into their batmobiles as it drifts in underneath the player as displayed so far in Arkham Knight. There's no shame in being pulled in by developer attempts to wow gamers. Sometimes people aren't interested in that and it's ineffective, other times people will see it and immediately be thrust deeper into the role of the character or the world that character calls home.

Examples for watch dogs? Remember the first time we saw Aiden pull out his gun and then cover his face in one smooth motion before hacking the traffic lights? I thought that gave the game a really cool vibe, and made the character seem that much more badass. Or how about the first time he initiated that slow mo shooting sequence with even the rain drops slowing down? Or the time he hopped over the hood of the car, and put a couple shots into the enemy on the other end of it? Or remember the first time we saw him pull out that melee weapon of his and beat the crap out of the guy trying to prevent him from leaving the club? Or remember the way the game slows down to show you when the cop car hit the barricade during the ps4 reveal? You'll find similar attempts at style or flair for the purpose of further immersion in even the batman arkham titles, both during combat and simple exploration. Whatever helps further sell the player on the idea that they're actually batman, those games do to perfection, and the game is all the better for it.

And, yea, I understand these things only get you so far if the game itself doesn't have anything worthwhile or exciting in it, but I like what I see from this game so far. Just like others, I can see that family relationship story getting cheesy, but that's kind of expected. I don't have a big issue with that. The game itself seems pretty fun.

with how integrated some of the stuff seems, maybe disabling ui stuff would really hinder gameplay?

no clue.

disabling many UI bits in AC4 can fuck ya too lol. Try doing stealth ship without the minimap.

from what i understand from the recent posts the game performs like shit even with a beefy CPU on PC, and apart from the performance and IQ enhancements it barely looks better than the PS4 version? how is that possible....oh i forgot it's ubisoft...

Just saw the game running on an i5 2500k @ 4.3GHz with 8GB of RAM and a 660Ti.
Everything on high with HBAO+High, TemporalSMAA @ 1080p with v-sync. FPS between 40-50 outside. Say what you want, but this game looks amazing. I dare you to say otherwise. If you do claim otherwise you can fuck off.

So much for the 8 core req.

Wulv

Neo Member
I wonder if Jon, on the twitch feed, thinks that everything....EVER....is "awesome."

I've never heard "awesome" used in succession that many times in under 30 secs.

Gumbie

Everything on high with HBAO+High, TemporalSMAA @ 1080p with v-sync. FPS between 40-50 outside. Say what you want, but this game looks amazing. I dare you to say otherwise. If you do claim otherwise you can fuck off.

tumblr_m70nojn0nB1r0byljo1_500.gif

Ahasverus

I'd even go so far as to say that we should have them banned from the video game business, just so this shit doesn't happen again. Think of all the poor video game consumers LIED to. And it's more like 3 gens behind what we've been shown, honestly.

Have some fucking perspective, people.
Check out your sarcasm meters guys.

Game looks fine. Can't understand the outrage. I would step ahead and say it's the ubisoft game that has been closer to the demo

Vuze

Say what you want, but this game looks amazing. I dare you to say otherwise. If you do claim otherwise you can fuck off.

Yeah no, it's probably a matter of definition. It looks decent, but disappointing in comparison to what they claimed at E3 and nowhere near breathtaking.

--

Anyway, watched a stream for a couple of hours now, looks fun yet flawed at times and I've definitely not seen anything revolutionary in any way.

kudoboi

it lags like crap

are you using wireless? either go wired or change the bluetooth frequency to something different from other devices ( forgot how to do this but i did this awhile ago as my bluetooth earpiece was interfering with my wifi)

i'll probably use a controller for this game though.

Yeah no, it's probably a matter of definition. It looks decent, but disappointing in comparison to what they claimed at E3 and nowhere near breathtaking.

--

Anyway, watched a stream for a couple of hours now, looks fun yet flawed at times and I've definitely not seen anything revolutionary in any way.

From what I've seen it definitely looks equal to or better than what they showed at E3. Really. During some scenes during the night you really get that breathtaking feeling you got from the initial E3 trailer. Be it reflections, lighting, physics, particle effects. It's all there. Only thing so far that feels off is the water. Great surface, but no refractions.

Regarding the game though. Like you wrote. Nothing really new so far. Feels mediocre at this point.

MayMay

Banned
How long does it usually take for Steam to respond to a support ticket -- and refund a pre-order?
I know you can now do that with a button, but that refunds the money to your Steam Wallet which is.. pretty useless.
Thinking about just getting it retail tomorrow.

How are people on PC playing so early?

Game seems to be already playable on Uplay if you happen to have a legit key. Also, there's a pirated version online as well now.

dmr87

Shocking news.

Still want to see proper benchmarks though.

Havel

Mind describing performance and your specs?

Well, I have 3770k @ 4.5ghz, 8GB RAM, and 2 GTX 690s. SLI does not work at all for me, even with Nvidia's beta Watch Dogs SLI profile. When I put everything on ultra @ 2560x1600, I get 25-30fps. Bear in mind that is on half a 690, which is roughly equal to a 680.

JackelZXA

Watching Conan's Clueless Gamer feature on the game...it really just looks exactly like GTA, but with a little more cell phone stuff. I just...I feel like this game might end up having been a huge waste of everyone's time when all is said and done.

At first it seemed like it'd be a techno stealthy spy game in a futuristic city, but looking at what the gameplay loop seems to be, it just looks like GTA with some hacking stuff bolted on as a new "weapon type".

Steal Cars, go to waypoints, get missions, drive to places, shoot cops...I really didn't expect it to just be THIS HARD of another GTA Clone. Maybe there's something interesting about it, but I'm not seeing it. I'm seeing alot of "steal the car, shoot the cops, get the drugs".

Rip

Watching a twitch streamer playing on ultra, game looks great. He said that the game is only using 2.4gbs of system ram.. so yea.

Calm the fuck down, you failed to understand that i was referring to "ultra" setting, the game barely looked better than the PS4 version while the performance was terrible, as mentioned in the previous pages the game runs 45-60 FPS on ultra at 1080p on a OC GTX 780 and the latest Core i7 processor. That several times more powerful than a GTX 660 ti.

One more thing provide a source for a claim, its hard to believe that it preforming that good on that config.

Top Bottom