• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

Michael Jackson had that same "bug"

image.php

KxoZz

Bin looking forward to next week all month. Happy that they delayed it - i remember being shown the game at gamescom 2013 and it was a buggy mess.
Still i haben't been this hyped for a game for ages

DrBo42

Just a simple one, do you enjoy the game so far? what do you like? what not?

I'm glad you asked. Initially I was pretty down on it, mostly from a personal idea of what the game would or should be. For some reason I thought there'd be all these cool hacks we'd never seen in the trailers or heard about in the interviews. Instead they've laid everything out on the table for you at the beginning and focused on making them useful in most situations. It's a huge game that isn't really amazing in any one area except for how "alive" the city feels, even if the city's locales don't have a ton of personality. For how much is going on here in Watch Dogs it's crazy that there isn't a single thing I've experienced that sucks. I mean they've got 20,000 teams at Ubisoft Galaxy working on this and they've managed to separate their tasks while delivering a solid cohesive experience. I've only just started Act II but I'm eager to see how the rest plays out and just how well the core gameplay holds up by the end of the journey.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I'd absolutely love to know what sorry state this game was in before the delay. I think I'll get Wolfemstein instead. 1080/60 and looks sharp.

The most shocking thing in all of this is I've seen some gameplay streamed now and some.of it looks fun but the driving, pedestrians, story looks horrible. It reminds me of something like True Crime.

Sleeping Dogs isnt my favourite game ever but it's certainly memorable and I get the vibe that this game is a couple of notches below that, certainly no GTAV.

Obviously I'll reserve my final judgement until I've played it but damn colour me dissapointted and a little sorry for Ubi, they really failed on this one.

I wholeheartedly disagree IF you are playing either PC or PS4. Graphically, PC looks phenomenal and its amazing what we are getting on a truly open-world game. Gameplay wise, this game has A LOT going on for it, not just in main missions but in side missions and just general banter as well.

I've seen people walking down streets of Chicago chatting about random things, I've seen pedestrians interact with each other and I even saw them run over to cars that have been involved in accidents. The animations are just incredibly fluid, and that in itself helps sell the atmosphere of the game. Yeah the main story isn't as crazy as GTA, but I don't think Watch Dogs is trying to sell itself like that. It is really going for a more dramatic, family style take on being able to control an entire city with the touch of a button.

I really like what Watch Dogs is doing, in that it is in-directly competing with GTA sure, but it isn't trying to go out of its way and say "hey I'm a GTA clone come play me!" Having the two open-world series side-by-side will do wonders for the genre, and will only spur each other to do more. I can't wait to play my copy on PC, and to get a good taste of that multiplayer, but what I have seen it looks exceptionally well.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I'm glad you asked. Initially I was pretty down on it, mostly from a personal idea of what the game would or should be. For some reason I thought there'd be all these cool hacks we'd never seen in the trailers or heard about in the interviews. Instead they've laid everything out on the table for you at the beginning and focused on making them useful in most situations. It's a huge game that isn't really amazing in any one area except for how "alive" the city feels, even if the city's locales don't have a ton of personality. For how much is going on here in Watch Dogs it's crazy that there isn't a single thing I've experienced that sucks. I mean they've got 20,000 teams at Ubisoft Galaxy working on this and they've managed to separate their tasks while delivering a solid cohesive experience. I've only just started Act II but I'm eager to see how the rest plays out and just how well the core gameplay holds up by the end of the journey.

Sounds good, thanks for answering.

SJRB

Gold Member
The soundtrack to this game is pretty remarkable and completely different than I expected.

I expected a lot of techno beats, high-tech glitch sounds, stuff like that. Instead almost the entire soundtrack consists of ambient guitar riffs and downtempo synth soundscapes. It really caught me by surprise.

fasTRapid

Banned
Hey guys i got both (PS4 and Xbox One) version today and did a graphic comparison:
All scenes are from the first 20 minutes.

http://youtu.be/FpwIO36iYNM
Oh my god, these comments...

YouTube said:
well what i van see here is that the Xbone version is much sharper than the PS4 version and the PS4 version is so blurry and the shadows is darker than Xbone. Models identical in booth versions but the lighting is way better on Xbox one than rhe PS4. (watch the neon on the ground on Xbox one amd car reflection is much better than PS4) So to me Xbox One is the winner \(^3^)/

Can you say something about the load times?

DrBo42

The soundtrack to this game is pretty remarkable and completely different than I expected.

I expected a lot of techno beats, high-tech glitch sounds, stuff like that. Instead almost the entire soundtrack consists of ambient guitar riffs and downtempo synth soundscapes. It really caught me by surprise.

I really dislike the choice to include radio stations with real music. Just doesn't fit the world to me.

Hasney

Why the hell doesn't someone in pursuit of you jump a bridge while it's slightly opening? Christ, it's a tiny gap. Afraid of your suspension? I'm sure the bounty for catching me would be worth it. Fucking hell.

Game also needs some kind of radio station by genre or an ability for me to turn music off I don't like. Sick of having to press right 7 times every time I get in a car.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Why the hell doesn't someone in pursuit of you jump a bridge while it's slightly opening? Christ, it's a tiny gap. Afraid of your suspension? I'm sure the bounty for catching me would be worth it. Fucking hell.

Game also needs some kind of radio station by genre or an ability for me to turn music off I don't like. Sick of having to press right 7 times every time I get in a car.

Pretty sure you can modify a playlist in the music player option. Which is another cool thing, can listen to music while on foot.

Cutwolf

Played for about an hour last night streaming on ps4.

Graphics are good. Not the best i have ever seen but whatever.

Game is very fun. Most important part. We will see if that lasts.

I'm going to stream again shortly.

cackhyena

This guy on PC finally said something about no one calling the cops. He's murdered half of Chicago and ain't nobody give a fuuuck. Looks pretty decent mechanically...on foot. The motorcycle looks like it handle not like a motorcycle.

Sn4ke_911

lol wtf, the stream i'm watching he kills hundreds of civilians and no police shows up, he can just do whatever the fuck he wants to.
This is huge for me because it totally ruins the immersion and atmosphere.

The fuck Ubisoft?? what a game breaker.

SJRB

Gold Member
I really dislike the choice to include radio stations with real music. Just doesn't fit the world to me.

Thank god there's a toggle in the options menu that disables auto-play of your mp3 player whenever you get in a vehicle. That shit got tired after 5 minutes.

lol wtf, the stream i'm watching he kills hundreds of civilians and no police shows up, he can just do whatever the fuck he wants to.

The fuck Ubisoft??

Just like real Chicago

am i right or am i right !?!

Ba-dum-tish.png

"Cough" I hope that was an odd occurrence.

That's pretty weird since in most vids multiple people call the cops.
People describe the ai as immersive and good

It kinda makes sense tho. Watch dogs is a lonely detached near future cyberpunk game. So marrying isolated guitar riffs with synth strokes is really evocative of what they are going for. Good ear, dude.

Is it possible he's killing the civilians that are making the cellphone calls so know one shows up? Because it shows the warning triangle over npcs when they are calling the cops

Hasney

Pretty sure you can modify a playlist in the music player option. Which is another cool thing, can listen to music while on foot.

Oh wait, is it in the smartphone apps thing rather than the pause menu?

You just keep killing the witnesses and it never gets reported. It makes things a bit simple.

Sn4ke_911

Is it possible he's killing the civilians that are making the cellphone calls so know one shows up? Because it shows the warning triangle over npcs when they are calling the cops

He went to a park and started killing people, he did this for quite some time, the police never showed up, he could have done this for hours. Then he went back to the city, started shooting people and suddenly the police woke up lol. It's just so weird, the park seemed like a police free save zone.

You just keep killing the witnesses and it never gets reported. It makes things a bit simple.

So if you kill all people who are about to call the cops you are save to kill hundreds of civilians? wow that's pretty stupid.

cackhyena

He went to a park and started killing people, he did this for quite some time, the police never showed up, he could have done this for hours. Then he went back to the city, started shooting people and suddenly the police woke up lol. It's just so weird, the park seemed like a police free save zone.

So if you kill all people who are about to call the cops you are save to kill hundreds of civilians? wow that's pretty stupid.

It's his game glitching. I saw another guy trying to keep on top of killing civilians that were calling as he tried to go on a spree. He eventually couldn't keep up with all the call ins.

It makes more sense than firing a gun in GTAV and the police immediately are alerted regardless of where you are or if anyone said anything.

fasTRapid

Banned
Ok?

And I'm pointing out that this wont happen with Watch Dogs. Not Day 1. Not Day 90.
What makes you so sure of this? I've not seen a single frame-drop on PS4 even when there was a firetruck rushing through the traffic hitting cars left and right (and there were many cars on screen)...

G_Berry

Banned
Yeah. I think the thing is, they developed for like 6 platforms, so they were probably spread too thin to really optimize it. InFamous looks so good because they only had one console to focus on.

Though AC: Black Flag had just as many platforms so I dunno.
Dat potential future patch?

Hasney

I get the feeling that people are now begrudgingly admitting that the game is better than downgradding hyperbole of the last few weeks made it out to be.

Eh, it's very average. It doesn't do anything better than any other game at all, even the hacking sections were done better in ACIV. If someone asked if they should get it, I'd ask if they'd played Saints Row 2-4, Sleeping Dogs or GTA IV yet and if not, go get them. If they had, probably wait until it hits £20 unless they're really desperate for a game right now.

atomsk

Party Pooper
looks like gamefly is shipping these out today?

the PS4 version went from "coming soon" to "low"

Site usually takes a few hours to update, so damned if I know if they shipped me a copy or if I got fucked like with Wolfenstein (gamefly has been terrible about getting in enough PS4 copies of anything)

edit: oh right, monday is a holiday, makes sense they'd ship today

This is the third time Tesco have said they were shipping me a game and then never updated my order saying it has dispatched. The last two times it still turned up on the day though, luckily.

They sent me a code for the Cyberpunk Pack, though. I don't even know what that is since I didn't think Tesco had retailer exclusive pre-order stuff, haha.

was able to score a copy through a good friend and have been playing the ps4 version for about 6 hours now...it looks pretty good but has the odd slowdown when you are getting hunted down by cops

The Bad

i hate the fucking controls

The main character feels so stiff coming from games like GTAV and the car handling feels like im steering a cardboard box around on an icerink...the cars have no real weight and slide everywhere and the world feels like i could walk around naked covered in peanut butter and nothing would happen...sleeping dogs had a way better world
plus you could slam peoples heads into car doors...the baton attacks just dont hit the spot

The Good

There are multiple and very funny ways to tackle objectives and while the world does not feel very alive there is a crapload of stuff you can do and not even touch the main mission

Overall...little disappointing due to the controls....he just feels way to stiff

Hasney

Just realised that the music that plays during fixing contracts is almost exactly the same as the music from Miami Vice on Commodore 64.

Top Bottom