• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WE8: F I R S T V I D E O

Solid

Holy shit! Can't wait to get this! Or PES4 to be precisely :D

And I pray to God it has 16:9 support, but it probably won't :(

Edit: Too bad it's released the same month as GTA:SA here in Europe. I'm not gonna have time for it in October or November (Halo 2)... but I'll probably end up getting it on launch like I always do, heh :)

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
It does look pretty good.

I have a thought though, what will happen when the game gets to the 11th edition.

What will they call it, Winning Eleven Eleven....

Cheers,
bbyybb.

cja

Still looks really fluid despite the dodgy cam job. One disappointing aspect is the return of the stumble after being tackled, turn 180 degrees and fall on the arse animation that Gary Neville displays. Needs more variety.

Fowler

bbyybb said:
It does look pretty good.

I have a thought though, what will happen when the game gets to the 11th edition.

What will they call it, Winning Eleven Eleven....

Cheers,
bbyybb.

WEXI!

Miburou

The one aspect that I'm liking about WE is that they're giving you more and more control over things with each installment, although there still things that are automatically done (like crosses and clearing the ball). The PS WE games were really restrictive in that manner. I can't wait to see a next-gen WE game.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Very nice.

I just hope it doesn't overload you with options during gameplay, but so far Konami are doing a great job with it. Could be worse, we'd be stuck playing FIFA xYear

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
cja said:
Still looks really fluid despite the dodgy cam job. One disappointing aspect is the return of the stumble after being tackled, turn 180 degrees and fall on the arse animation that Gary Neville displays. Needs more variety.

Yes! Such a hate-worthy animation, if only because it means you just got taken out by the defense. It's funny how that opening minute or so shows all of the animations to which I've grown so accustomed in my hundreds of hours on WE8 (e.g. the Stumble and Fall, the Sidestep and 45-Degree Dash, the Overhead Flick, etc.), though Owen's Hop over the slide tackle was quite nifty-looking.

One thing I really love about WE8 is the new-look menus. The bright, crist atmosphere finally makes it look like I'm doing something remotely fun (it was always fun, just never looked it) while navigating through the menus rather than playing with the latest portfolio-management simulator.

God, can't wait.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Socreges said:
Astro, did you end up getting your PS2 chipped?

No, but my brother has WE7 on his comp. w/ all the latest Wolf and other patches. Of course, in terms of playing WE8 I am still SoL. Ah well, I'll just have to bide my time.

Volt

If I'm not mistaken, it's August for WE8 (Jap version) and October/November for PES4 (PAL game, also released as NTSC ?)

Gibbo

The game is finally in my hands!! Will throw in some impressions once i've spent enough time with it...

cja

Nice impressions. Noticed slowdown at all? They're really bitching about it at evo-web. Hope KCET get that fixed for PES4, even if they have to take out the ref, really no excuse for slowdown around the box like in early WEs.

Konami have announced 1 million shipped for the Japanese launch, took three weeks for WE7 to get to a seven figure sum.

Fowler

You know, I wrote those impressions after the first day's play and we noticed slowdown only in corners... which wasn't really a big deal for me because a lot of the WE games (not PES) tend to have slowdown in corners. What inexplicably didn't crop up until the second day was slowdown at other times. It's not just corners -- free-kicks or when you're piling on the pressure in the opponent's box it'll slow down. I'm using one of the more zoomed-out views but really it shouldn't make a difference, it should run smoothly at whatever view they offer. It's annoying but not quite a dealbreaker for me, and hopefully they will remove it.

aparisi2274

Hey I borrowed the game from a friend, and since I cant really read that much japanese, is there a way to set the audio so that the commentators are speaking in English? Or do they only have Japanese? IS there anyway to change the text to english as well? Also, is Britian listed as a team? Since I know nothing about Soccer, the only team I really know is Manchester United, and I wanted to play as them.

Top Bottom