• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

shamo42

ipukespiders said:
Weight Loss Gaf:

What's spices are in your cupboard?
I'm looking for some ideas.

I did pick up onion powder, crushed chilis, italian spice (I picked a brand without added salt).

Also, what condiments do you use to add a little extra "zing" without a big calorie hit?

Dried and fresh herbs like rosemary or coriander, sesame seeds (roast them), dried pepper flakes.
Also some Asian spices like hot been paste, soy sauce, dashi no moto, miso paste...
I also like to always have some anchovies and mustard in the fridge.

SeanR1221

I've been working out/losing weight since '05. Besides a year off from 2009-2010 (and gaining 15 pounds easily...remember guys, once your fat once, it's easy to get fat again) I've been back on track for the past year.

Someone posted a photo of me from 05 so I figured what the hell, I'll post here...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/215/19918050294244367615250.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/818/22530853282920536615250.jpg/

And I thought my arms are small now. They were noodles back then :lol

fadetoblack said:
SuperAngelo, you're looking great man. I'm sure you're doing it for the right reasons (i.e. your own health etc.) but if it has the added benefit is that it helps you out with the ex(?) and you want to be with her again, then all the best to you.

Thanks. I'd like to say that I am NOW doing it for the right reasons, but when I started I simply wanted to get my wife back because I was convinced that it had to do with my appearance, when it actually had more to do with my health and future. I'm now working towards this because I need to, my goal was to work in corrections and I have the background and credentials for it but I always put off the 'getting back in shape' part of it and just kept piling on the pounds and saying 'next month I'll start'. My weight was so bad that I couldn't get a job here in CA because I was seen as a health hazard. So I was basically becoming a jobless blob who just fucked around on the computer all day. It really killed my confidence, my self-esteem, and that dash of 'macho-ness' as a provider and protector that drew my wife to me initially. I was becoming a different person, and that's what triggered the separation.

I have a lot of that confidence back now that I've lost so much weight. It really does make a difference.

low-G said:
You are my NeoGAF idol. I don't have as much to lose, but you say you lost 100 in 3 and 1/2 months? That is friggin amazing. Giving me hope.

Thanks. Too bad you're banned now...

AiTM said:
What's some snacks you guys like when eating low carb?

I've been on a keto-diet and love eating these:

148dksw.jpg

Chicharrones (or Pork Rinds/Cracklings depending on your region) are an awesome substitute for chips and have 0g of carbs.

Fireye

ipukespiders said:
Weight Loss Gaf:

I'm looking for some ideas.

I did pick up onion powder, crushed chilis, italian spice (I picked a brand without added salt).

Also, what condiments do you use to add a little extra "zing" without a big calorie hit?

Garlic Powder is awesome. Also a curry mix (either like S&B curry, or more authentic curry) is AWESOME for so many things. Kosher Salt. Rosemary Oregeno and Basil are good dried as well. Chili powder and Paprika are very handy to have around as well.

Edit: By S&B Curry, I meant the powdered mix, not the roux blocks.
01243_sb_curry_powder_lg.jpg

Schlep

ipukespiders said:
Weight Loss Gaf:

Garlic salt, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, onion salt, cayenne pepper, sage, thyme, oregano, parsley, lemon pepper, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.

Louisiana Hot Sauce

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
So which app is better for weight loss efforts? Lose It or MyFitnessPal? Lose It tells me to have 1850 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week and MyFitnessPal says 1660. Wtf?

Domino Theory said:
So which app is better for weight loss efforts? Lose It or MyFitnessPal? Lose It tells me to have 1850 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week and MyFitnessPal says 1660. Wtf?
I have no idea which is giving you the more accurate goal but I really like Myfitnesspal, that's the one I've been using and it's been great so far.

Gary Whitta said:
I have no idea which is giving you the more accurate goal but I really like Myfitnesspal, that's the one I've been using and it's been great so far.

ditto, myfitnesspal has been treating me really good since I started using it.

Chorazin

Been back on Weight Watchers and exercising most days of the week for 4 weeks now, down 11.2 lbs and way over my average monthly goal of 8 pounds. Doing WW to lose the weight, excercising just to keep better.

Already feel stronger and healthier than I have for a while!

Fireye

Chorazin said:
Been back on Weight Watchers and exercising most days of the week for 4 weeks now, down 11.2 lbs and way over my average monthly goal of 8 pounds. Doing WW to lose the weight, excercising just to keep better.

Already feel stronger and healthier than I have for a while!

Congrats! I've been going for just over four weeks, and am at 11lbs down myself. What are you doing for exercise?

Prologue

Can anyone give me some feedback on my daily intake?

5'7, 160lbs. Trying to lose weight. Will start either hitting the gym or try p90x when I start the diet. I tried to go with the 50/30/20 in regards to protein, carbs and fats.

Total Cal:1,635
Protein: 205g ( 50%)
Carbs: 134g (33%)
Fat:30.5g ( 17%)

6 meals a day, haven't really figured out order.

Meal 1 :
3x chicken breast
serving of grain white rice

Meal 2:
Whey protein

Meal 3:
Cheerios Ceral
organic whole milk

Meal 4:
egg whites
almonds

Meal 5:
Turkey burger
Hamburger bun

Meal 6:
Whey protein

Anything I should change? add? remove?

Chorazin

Fireye said:
Congrats! I've been going for just over four weeks, and am at 11lbs down myself. What are you doing for exercise?

Nice work!

I've been doing EA Active 2 four nights a week, and hitting the gym three mornings a week, unless it's a holiday or I have the day off work. Gotta have some break in the workouts!

Prologue said:

5'7, 160lbs. Trying to lose weight. Will start either hitting the gym or try p90x when I start the diet. I tried to go with the 50/30/20 in regards to protein, carbs and fats.

Meal 1 :
3x chicken breast

Meal 2:
Whey protein

Meal 3:
Cheerios Ceral
organic whole milk

Meal 4:
egg whites
almonds

Meal 5:
Turkey burger
Hamburger bun

Meal 6:
Whey protein

I would concentrate on taking your Carbs down below 100g and upping your animal fat intake to compensate. I've been eating like a pig (well over 3000 cal a day I'm sure), but I keep the carbs down below 100g and I haven't noticed increase in my bodyfat readings from the same machine at the gym.

Prologue said:

Meal 1 :
3x chicken breast

Meal 2:
Whey protein

Meal 3:
Cheerios Ceral
organic whole milk

Meal 4:
egg whites
almonds

Meal 5:
Turkey burger
Hamburger bun

Meal 6:
Whey protein

Remove the whey. I have no problem with whey protein, and I have used it, but it isn't necessary.

I would also add beef and fish, and stick with 1 chicken breast for variety.

I don't see any veggies - bell peppers, spinach, broccoli, lettuce, tomatos, etc but stay clear of starchy potatos, corn etc.

Drop the carbs by 1/3.

Add cheese.

4 L of water a day.

shamo42

hiryu said:
Everyone in here should read this:

51b0qV-LrxL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I've finished this book last week and started eating mainly meat, fish and some vegetables.

This is the most restricting diet I've tried. Sure, I'm never hungry but no potatoes, no (whole-grain) bread, no more baking with GF and worst of all no FUCKING FRUITS. My stomach feels weird from all the fat (fried food, sausages, avocado, cheese, burgers, nuts...).

Also I've lived in Japan for some time and people eat white rice at least once a day! People were skinny. I ate tons of rice too and lost a 1-2 pounds every month. Back in Germany I'm getting fat again. No rice. WTF!

As I said before, my stomach feels weird from the fat so I'm going to start eating fruits, more vegetables, whole-grain bread and rice again. However I'll avoid anything with white flour, sugar and will only drink water, tea or milk. Also, no food after 9pm no matter how hungry I get.

Xelinis

shamo42 said:
As I said before, my stomach feels weird from the fat so I'm going to start eating fruits, more vegetables, whole-grain bread and rice again. However I'll avoid anything with white flour, sugar and will only drink water, tea or milk. Also, no food after 9pm no matter how hungry I get.

Eat your greens, you're probably not getting enough fiber. Additionally, I recommend that you wait two weeks before reintroducing any sort of carbohydrate and see how you feel then. By then, your body will have gotten used to the lack of carbs and will be adapted properly for ketosis.

The first few days are always very grueling for a diet like this, but again, stick with it for two weeks and see how you feel. You won't regret it.

ipukespiders said:
Does this book expand on his previous book, Good Calories, Bad Calories? Is there any reason to read the previous book?
It clarifies a few things, but it's really written to be a more easily read version of GCBC that can be picked up and read for the average person. Note I didn't say dumbed down, because it's still sciency, just shorter, a bit better organized, and written more simply.

Prologue

ipukespiders said:
Remove the whey. I have no problem with whey protein, and I have used it, but it isn't necessary.

I would also add beef and fish, and stick with 1 chicken breast for variety.

I don't see any veggies - bell peppers, spinach, broccoli, lettuce, tomatos, etc but stay clear of starchy potatos, corn etc.

Drop the carbs by 1/3.

Add cheese.

4 L of water a day.

I thought it was recommended that you take a whey protein shake after a work out?

Whey is protein. The reason why people say to have one after a workout is because it is a quick and easy way to get protein in your body. Nothing wrong with having one after a workout. Ideally, you would have a meal that is protein heavy but whey is fine.

Your diet looks good. As mentioned, try to get more veggies. Spinach or broccoli. I would cut out the cereal for some fruit. Try it for a few weeks and gauge your progress. Add or remove calories if you are not getting your desired result. Keep protein high and adjust your fats/carbs.

Chorazin said:
That's about right, Wii Fit's not exactly high impact.

If you like working out with a game. and if you have a PS3 (or a 360 with Kinect, although that version is more limited), I cannot recommend EA Active 2 enough. It's a real honest to god trainer in a box. I burn around 200 calories with it in a half hour (and I'm a fatty doing it on Easy!), shit really works you hard.

I'm probably gonna grab EA Active 2 for Wii, because I don't have a PS3 or kinect. Thanks for the suggestion!

shamo42

Xelinis said:
Eat your greens, you're probably not getting enough fiber. Additionally, I recommend that you wait two weeks before reintroducing any sort of carbohydrate and see how you feel then. By then, your body will have gotten used to the lack of carbs and will be adapted properly for ketosis.

The first few days are always very grueling for a diet like this, but again, stick with it for two weeks and see how you feel. You won't regret it.

What about sports? The book doesn't talk much about it except that it doesn't make you lose fat. I used to eat extra carbohydrates before jogging/swimming to have more energy. Is this forbidden too?

Xelinis

shamo42 said:
What about sports? The book doesn't talk much about it except that it doesn't make you lose fat. I used to eat extra carbohydrates before jogging/swimming to have more energy. Is this forbidden too?

No carbs, especially for the first two weeks.

With high endurance endurance activities like running a marathon, I'm afraid that carbs are pretty much required to get maximum pump. For low intensity jogging and swimming, you'll be just fine without them. Taubes' point is that sports make you "work up an appetite" which is why they're not an effective solution. However, if you're really out of shape, go ahead; you'll probably need the metabolism boost, just watch those portions.

shamo42

Xelinis said:
No carbs, especially for the first two weeks.

With high endurance endurance activities like running a marathon, I'm afraid that carbs are pretty much required to get maximum pump. For low intensity jogging and swimming, you'll be just fine without them.

Ok, I'll try to avoid carbs for at least another week. Thanks for the advice.

I've lost 15lbs so far, the weight loss has definitely accelerated since I've added a 100g carb limitation per day. Basically doing what the FAT HEAD guy did. And bacon, sausage and egg for breakfast (which is what the WHY WE GET FAT guy eats) really never gets old.

Let's talk about protein though. One side effect of a low-carb diet is that you are going to be eating more protein, and from doing my own reading around the web eating too much protein can have its own problems - kidney issues, etc. Any thoughts on this?

A semi-typical day for me yesterday broke down like this:

Calories: 1650
Fat: 104g
Carbs: 103g
Protein: 99g

(looking back through my diary, often the carbs will be lower and the protein/fat will be higher)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gary Whitta said:
And bacon, sausage and egg for breakfast (which is what the WHY WE GET FAT guy eats) really never gets old.

It really never does!

It's been my breakfast every day since early February and it's probably my favorite meal of the day.

Schlep

Gary Whitta said:
Let's talk about protein though. One side effect of a low-carb diet is that you are going to be eating more protein, and from doing my own reading around the web eating too much protein can have its own problems - kidney issues, etc. Any thoughts on this?
It will only cause kidney issues if you're predisposed to that condition (or so says the incomplete research). Normal people have nothing to worry about. Also, 99g of protein a day isn't really that high.

Schlep said:
It will only cause kidney issues if you're predisposed to that condition (or so says the incomplete research). Normal people have nothing to worry about. Also, 99g of protein a day isn't really that high.
I can easily get higher than that though, some days I'll be well over 150g. I like to eat fish which is really protein-heavy.

Gary Whitta said:
I just picked up a box of these for snacks on Amazon, I've become a huge fan of KIND bars lately and these may be a great variety for those on a low-carb diet. They are about half the carbs of a regular KIND bar and double the protein.

almond_walnut_macadamia.jpg

http://www.kindsnacks.com/kind-stor...us/kind-plus-almond-walnut-and-macadamia.html

Plus KIND bars are so tasty! I haven't encountered a variety I don't like yet.

http://www.kindsnacks.com/
15g Carbs per 40g bar, no doubt due to the added honey.

Regrettably, I can't find any decent granola bars in the UK that I like and are low on carbs. The closest I've been able to find are Alpen Bars but they are so very insubstantial. I can actually buy those KIND bars off of Amazon UK reseller but they are something like £2 for a single bar and I can't afford it.

Schlep

Gary Whitta said:
I can easily get higher than that though, some days I'll be well over 150g. I like to eat fish which is really protein-heavy.
http://www.pkdiet.com/pdf/proteingfr.pdf

This is the only 'study' that I know of on the issue, and it's incredibly flawed. It pulls data from the Nurses Health Study which was observational and so there are way too many variables to account for. The funniest part to me is that they're comparing GFR (glomerular filtration rate) using quintiles out of 1624 women. Of the 1135 in their normal renal function group, almost half had hypercholesterolemia and 60% in the mild renal insufficiency group. More than 1/3 of the entire study had hypertension.

Even in their results for the group with renal insufficiency, GFR goes up between the second and fourth quintile and then craters out in the fifth quintile which is what they use to say "too much protein is bad" (table 5). Why would GFR go up with more protein intake, and then bottom out in only one of the quintiles? Also, 85.6–143g of protein is a hell of a range compared to the others (~7g range), and there's no data of what else went up. The average caloric consumption, carb consumption, weight, smoker/non-smoker, diabetes, etc isn't accounted for beyond the entire group makeup (all quintiles). For all we know, the fifth quintile was probably obese and taking in two or three times as many calories as the other four quintiles.

The whole study is stupid and flawed. I'm not a doctor, so I'm not going to tell you what to do, but it's research like this that's behind the "too much protein is bad!" articles you see.

Dysun

Stuck to 3 meals a day, something like Cereal (Special K)/Oatmeal for breakfast, Turkey sanwich + Yogurt for lunch, Chicken + Veggies for dinner. Quaker Granola bars for a snack here and there. I drank diet soda, but not alot of it. Tried to stick with water.

I did two 45 minute intervals of LISS cardio with a 10 minute break in between, walking on a treadmill started off slow 1.7 eventually got up to around 4.0.

Gary Whitta said:
I have an actual bar in my hand and the label says 11g of carbs. That's about half of most other KIND bar varieties.

Website says 15. That's odd.

Serving Size : 1 Bar (40g)
Calories :
Fat Calories :
Total Fat :
12g
Saturated Fat :
1.5g
Trans Fat :
0g
Cholesterol :
0mg

Sodium :
75mg
Potassium :
135mg
Total Carb :
15g
Dietary Fiber :
3g
Sugars :
8g
Protein :
10g

Shaneus

Dysun said:
This is me two years ago, 6'4 400+
http://i51.tinypic.com/ix49jc.jpg[IMG]

Lost about 150 lbs through cardio + diet in about one year.
[IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/2ecoyfa.jpg[IMG]

Been lifting weights for the following year after that to try and firm up, although my diet has been poor. (6 months ago)
[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/2iiejx1.jpg[IMG]

Me now, just getting started.
[IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/191lc.jpg[IMG]

Dont give up on yourself and your goals, they are attainable through hard work and dedication. I couldnt fathom being where I am now when I first got started.[/QUOTE]
yousonofabitch.gif (your arms in the third pic actually reminded me of that!)

Fireye

ipukespiders said:
Website says 15. That's odd.

I've oft found manufacturer and calorie tracker websites have old data. I always double-check the nutritional label (at least, get the three macronutrients) to make sure I'm getting the right info.

Dysun, that is absolutely incredible!

If you've been attending a gym regularly or using any protein based products, I think you should get in contact with them. I'm sure they would love to hear about your story and you might get some sort of reward for your amazing hard work. Truly an inspirational post!

Top Bottom