• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

Veal

SO any advice for a 330 lb lard bucket with bad knees? The pain in my knee's is starting to get kinda debilitating so I'd like to start losing some weight. How I'd love to go shirtless in public and not give a fuck... *sigh*

you should consuming approximately 2k calories and 150g of protein daily - and add a serving or two of v8 a day to cover the majority of the other things you may be nutritionally deficient in.

you don't need to do trendy and/or athletic shit to burn excess calories.
do small things throughout the day like pushups, go for half hour walks when you feel like it, use the stairs occasionally etc.

just make sure the 2k calories is measured very precisely because fat people tend to way underestimate the caloric content of food, and end up eating twice as much as they thought htey did. get a kitchen scale and a measuring cup, and make sure every single thing that you ingest can be measured.

you'll likely have an oversized stomach from years of overeating so you need to find some kind of food to keep yourself satisfied. try using very low calorie vegetables like carrots to munch on throughout the day to keep your stomach full, so you won't reach the point of hunger where your willpower will be severely compromised.

agentxricky

Neo Member
Veal said:
SO any advice for a 330 lb lard bucket with bad knees? The pain in my knee's is starting to get kinda debilitating so I'd like to start losing some weight. How I'd love to go shirtless in public and not give a fuck... *sigh*

Same as everyone else on Earth man. Reduce your calories, move a little bit, and wait. Works for everyone.

As for your knees, try something like elliptical, recumbent bikes or swimming. Whatever you can take.

McLesterolBeast said:
you should consuming approximately 2k calories and 150g of protein daily - and add a serving or two of v8 a day to cover the majority of the other things you may be nutritionally deficient in.
Isn't V8 sodium-filled garbage?

Akim said:
I forgot how much a high protein/fat diet kept me full
Same here!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Akim said:
I forgot how much a high protein/fat diet kept me full

This is really the best part of the diet I adopted in February and is what has kept me on it. I was always hungry before. I'd be wanting to snack on something within an hour or two of eating a big meal.

With my current diet, I'm full for hours and hours on comparatively small portions and I don't feel the desire to snack at all. It must be something about how my body reacts to refined carbs, because they just don't keep me satiated for long at all.

Question(s) to anyone who wants to answer:

Did your weight ever inhibit your confidence or relationships?
Did you find that once you dropped some pounds, these issues went away?

Do you have issues with self-worth? Women?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Veal said:

The first thing I'd tell anyone starting out for fat loss would be to cut any and all sodas and juices and just do some low intensity walking for 30 minutes at least 4 days a week. Do just that for a couple months and watch the pounds fly off. Then you can move on to more serious changes.

Oh and find out what you're allergic to and stop having it (if you haven't done this already).

Gary Whitta said:
0g of sugar, 14g sugar alcohol and 1g fiber so it actually nets about to 10g per bar.
sugar alcohols aren't great either. Try these, I love them: http://www.questproteinbar.com/
Gary Whitta said:
On low-carb is cholesterol a concern if you're eating eggs for breakfast every day? Or is overall cholesterol supposed to go down?
The numbers of "overall cholesterol" are irrelevant. You want high hdl, low triglycerides, and better quality ldl. High fat diets do all of that. High hdl is the best preventative factor for heart disease that exists. High cholesterol does not correlate at all with heart disease.

Conclusion: eat dem eggs.

Gilby

Gary Whitta said:
On low-carb is cholesterol a concern if you're eating eggs for breakfast every day? Or is overall cholesterol supposed to go down?

Dietary cholesterol =/= blood cholesterol.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gary Whitta said:

There's a lot of debate on this, but to me, it seems like the level of cholesterol is not necessarily an indicator of heart disease.

The proponents of fat/cholesterol=heart disease are the same people who recommend 300g or so of carbs every day in the form of lots of grains. I tend to not believe anything that group is trying to sell, personally.

Anyway, I'm eating 2-4 large omega-3 eggs everyday.

Does anyone in UK-GAF have any good peanut-free bar suggestions? I can't find anything I like that's substantial. I've seen the Nature Valley stuff and they're alright. Alpen bars are alright too but as I've said in an earlier post they are kinda on the small side.

Veal said:

Low-carb works well for people in your situation. I used it to lose 60 pounds pretty effortlessly. My knee pain also resolved (surgeon said I'd be lucky to walk without a knee replacement; now I have no pain and I'm fully functional, lift heavy, play basketball, etc), but not just because of the weight lost.

I'd also be sure to avoid grains (especially wheat) and legumes, as the antinutrients therein can trigger joint pain, so if you eat starch stick to potatoes, yams, or white rice.

Take some fish oil or eat fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, sardines for the omega-3 and avoid omega-6 rich vegetable oil (corn, canola, soybean, etc) and food cooked in it at all costs. A lot of joint pain comes down to inflammation, and a skewed omega-3:eek:mega-6 ratio results in lopsided levels of inflammation.

Use butter and olive oil instead.

Veal said:

It's funny you mention "lard" bucket.
Get rid of the carbs, and start cooking with butter and lard. Good animal based dietary fat is what you need, and plenty of protein if you want to hit the weights. Some people have success eating all the fat and protein they want, as long as the carbs stay low. Others maybe have to watch their overall calories.
Lots of low carb forums that you can check out.

elrechazao said:

Great link!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Price Dalton said:
Use butter and olive oil instead.

Coconut oil is awesome, too, although a bit expensive where I live.

Guys, I found out we've been wrong in this thread:

EkXZf.jpg

1gPco.jpg

oh, and second pic is nsfw if you squint and use your imagination.....

Down to 210lbs on my weekly weigh-in today, down from 226 when I started about six weeks ago and 238 which is my overall heaviest. The weight has definitely started to come off faster since I went low-carb. Feels good man! Ideally I'd like to get to and maintain around 180-185 but will initially be happy to break 200lb hopefully in a few more weeks!

I'm down to 146 this morning (189 in january). Not sure how much more blood I can squeeze from this stone at 6ft 2in.
Abs are defined, and enjoying the bacon and eggs.
Workout this morning went well, not losing any strength.
Only shitty part is finding 30in waist pants with a 34in inseam... otherwise, feels good man is right!

ipukespiders said:
I'm down to 146 this morning (189 in january). Not sure how much more blood I can squeeze from this stone at 6ft 2in.
Only shitty part is finding 30in waist pants with a 34in inseam... otherwise, feels good man is right!
Wow isn't 146 at 6'2" reaaally thin? Why would you want to lose any more?

ipukespiders said:
Anorexia is as unattractive and unhealthy as morbid obesity, you might have body dysmorphia.

Shaneus

Gary Whitta said:
Wow isn't 146 at 6'2" reaaally thin? Why would you want to lose any more?
I'm that height and couldn't imagine weighing that... that's almost 20kg less than what I weigh now. Seriously dude, do... something.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge someone based 1. only on numbers without seeing them, and 2. deciding what's an appropriate goal for one person or another.

That's actually at the low end of "normal" weight using BMI calculators.

Shaneus

Disregarding the fact that BMI is fairly redundant, anyone over 6 feet weighing 66kg is gonna look fairly emaciated no matter how you slice it.

Damn straight I'm judging this purely from stats... this is the internet ;)

Shaneus said:
Disregarding the fact that BMI is fairly redundant, anyone over 6 feet weighing 66kg is gonna look fairly emaciated no matter how you slice it.
I think you're overreacting and don't really know what the word emaciated means. Thin is not emaciated.

Dude posts his progress and of course the internet strangers jump all over his shit and start the pop psych 101 bullshit. Not cool.

Menelaus

Banned
elrechazao said:
Dude posts his progress and of course the internet strangers jump all over his shit and start the pop psych 101 bullshit. Not cool.
No one is jumping all over his shit. How tall are you?

Wow, wasn't expecting that.
Anorexic people hate how they look, I love how I look.
I'm 38 and in the best shape of my life.

Started back lifting weights in December (after not lifting since high school):

My bench is at 205 1RM
Squat is 185 x 3, haven't tried 1RM
Deadlift is 225 x 3, again haven't tried 1RM

Those #s won't impress anyone here, but I'm no anorexic.

Started low carbing in January, as I said earlier, at 189 lbs - "skinny" with a fat belly that you couldn't really notice with clothes on.

Yes, my squat #s are low in comparison to my others, but I actually enjoy them most of all. Damn long legs make the gains slow though.

Now I will say I do have a "slight" frame. My 12 year old son has huge bones, large knees and hands/feet. He's gonna be a big ass boy... something skipped a generation there.

Shaneus

ipukespiders said:
Wow, wasn't expecting that.
Anorexic people hate how they look, I love how I look.
I'm 38 and in the best shape of my life.
Apologies dude... definitely sounds like you have your shit together! Just that those stats without much background posted can seem fairly extreme. Glad it's working out for you :)

elrechazao said:
I'm 4 feet tall and 500 pounds.
Going by the nature of your posts that isn't the least bit surprising.

Also, those are pretty solid numbers for someone your weight spiders. You seem to have a decent amount of strength, no offense.

Foothills

Banned
been reading this thread for a long time and getting inspired. Figured one of the first posts for me on gaf would have to be in here -

6'0, used to be 270ish
down to 180 or so in the below pic

paleo of course

foothills.jpg

Srsly

Banned
So yesterday I was over at a friend's house and he ordered pizza. I resisted the temptation at first, but after seeing it sit around for over an hour I decided to finally indulge myself and had 4 slices. I've been doing low carb/keto for a while and have been feeling great as a result, so I had forgotten how sluggish carbs make me feel. Anyway, I decided to cheat even more since I had cheated so badly with the pizza and tried to drink some root beer. I only managed to drink maybe half a cup before I felt completely full and felt like I would vomit if I continued. The old, pre carb restriction, me would have been able eat an entire pizza and a liter of sugary soda no problem, and would have still been hungry. I suppose this means that my low-carbing has restored functionality to my leptin feedback system. Does anyone else have a similar experience?

I'm not going to push my luck, so I hopped back onto the low carb diet wihout thinking twice this morning. It feels good to not feel like I need carbs

Shaneus said:
Apologies dude... definitely sounds like you have your shit together! Just that those stats without much background posted can seem fairly extreme. Glad it's working out for you :)

No worries, I can see how my inital post was only telling half the story.

BamYouHaveAids said:
Also, those are pretty solid numbers for someone your weight spiders. You seem to have a decent amount of strength, no offense.

Again, it's all good. Group hug :)

I've found a lot of useful info here and the fitness thread... basically what got me started in my (hopefully lifelong) journey.
I never did get a decent "before" pic, but I'll put up a current pic soon - homoerotic of course!

Top Bottom