• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

ismaboof

Do any of you have any experience with lower-carb diets while marathon training? I'm 5'9, 175 lbs with about 10lbs worth of fat to lose. I work 40 hours a week at an ice plant lifting multiple tons of ice over the course of a day and then usually go running or do some form of intervals 3-4 of those nights. I've been doing a half marathon weekly (fastest time is 2:14:20). I'm running a marathon in August.

But I'm not losing any weight (I've been at 175 for close to two months) and I'm scared of crashing and ruining my training if I lower the amount of food I eat. I eat a ton of carbs (pasta, multigrain bread, tons of raisins) because I assume I would be burning them off.

I'm scared because I used to do a lot of weight lifting and my lifts will come down yet my weight will stay the same, so am I slowly losing muscle and putting on fat? Is low carbing a marathon viable?

Srsly

Banned
ismaboof said:
Do any of you have any experience with lower-carb diets while marathon training? I'm 5'9, 175 lbs with about 10lbs worth of fat to lose. I work 40 hours a week at an ice plant lifting multiple tons of ice over the course of a day and then usually go running or do some form of intervals 3-4 of those nights. I've been doing a half marathon weekly (fastest time is 2:14:20). I'm running a marathon in August.

But I'm not losing any weight (I've been at 175 for close to two months) and I'm scared of crashing and ruining my training if I lower the amount of food I eat. I eat a ton of carbs (pasta, multigrain bread, tons of raisins) because I assume I would be burning them off.

I'm scared because I used to do a lot of weight lifting and my lifts will come down yet my weight will stay the same, so am I slowly losing muscle and putting on fat? Is low carbing a marathon viable?

Usually the first few weeks are rough for endurance training after switching over to low carb but eventually you perform just as well, if not better, when running on ketones.

Just look up Steve Phinney, who has done a lot of research on this. The initial studies that showed carbohydrate based diets to be better didn't allow the subjects enough time to go through ketoadaptation.

oatmeal

Banned
What's the best Android calorie/stat tracker?

I have Lose It! on my iPod Touch, and it's great...but as far as I know, it's not on the Android.

What's a good/better solution?

Srsly said:
Usually the first few weeks are rough for endurance training after switching over to low carb but eventually you perform just as well, if not better, when running on ketones

To add to that, since your marathon is in August, you might want to stay the current course for now, and make the low carb adjustment after that race.

ipukespiders said:
To add to that, since your marathon is in August, you might want to stay the current course for now, and make the low carb adjustment after that race.
Agreed - as someone who was marathon training last year, the last thing you want to do is change up your routine and especially your diet this close to the marathon.

On a related note, long distance marathon training isn't ideal for weight loss. It's ideal for running marathons. There was a great study quoted in a book I read following marathon training for weight loss. Most people gained weight during the training.

Tonight's dinner is atomic hot links, spicy chicken wings and creamed spinach. Less than 20 carbs and that's all from the spinach. How can you not love this diet? :)

ismaboof

elrechazao said:
Agreed - as someone who was marathon training last year, the last thing you want to do is change up your routine and especially your diet this close to the marathon.

On a related note, long distance marathon training isn't ideal for weight loss. It's ideal for running marathons. There was a great study quoted in a book I read following marathon training for weight loss. Most people gained weight during the training.
That's what I was worried about. Looks like I'll cut down on carbs a little bit but save the cutting for September.

Ripclawe

Banned
oatmeal said:
What's the best Android calorie/stat tracker?

I have Lose It! on my iPod Touch, and it's great...but as far as I know, it's not on the Android.

What's a good/better solution?
myfitnesspal has an app for android.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
ismaboof said:

You probably want to get some carbs if you're doing marathons and lots of weight lifting. I'm talking about a small potato or a cup of bland rice, not a pizza. Give time for adaption and use stuff like coconut oil as workout fuel. Medium chained saturated fats metabolize quicker than other fats.

Srsly said:
So yesterday I was over at a friend's house and he ordered pizza. I resisted the temptation at first, but after seeing it sit around for over an hour I decided to finally indulge myself and had 4 slices. I've been doing low carb/keto for a while and have been feeling great as a result, so I had forgotten how sluggish carbs make me feel. Anyway, I decided to cheat even more since I had cheated so badly with the pizza and tried to drink some root beer. I only managed to drink maybe half a cup before I felt completely full and felt like I would vomit if I continued. The old, pre carb restriction, me would have been able eat an entire pizza and a liter of sugary soda no problem, and would have still been hungry. I suppose this means that my low-carbing has restored functionality to my leptin feedback system. Does anyone else have a similar experience?

I'm not going to push my luck, so I hopped back onto the low carb diet wihout thinking twice this morning. It feels good to not feel like I need carbs
I'll cheat on my diet every now and then, but soda is the one thing I can't do. Two years ago, I was a four can a day guy. Now, just looking at it makes me feel sick. I did try it once about six months ago. Nearly threw up. My body rejected it completely.
I don't do the whole ketosis thing, though. I don't have the discipline (or the need anymore) to go completely no carbs.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Srsly said:
So yesterday I was over at a friend's house and he ordered pizza. I resisted the temptation at first, but after seeing it sit around for over an hour I decided to finally indulge myself and had 4 slices. I've been doing low carb/keto for a while and have been feeling great as a result, so I had forgotten how sluggish carbs make me feel. Anyway, I decided to cheat even more since I had cheated so badly with the pizza and tried to drink some root beer. I only managed to drink maybe half a cup before I felt completely full and felt like I would vomit if I continued. The old, pre carb restriction, me would have been able eat an entire pizza and a liter of sugary soda no problem, and would have still been hungry. I suppose this means that my low-carbing has restored functionality to my leptin feedback system. Does anyone else have a similar experience?

I'm not going to push my luck, so I hopped back onto the low carb diet wihout thinking twice this morning. It feels good to not feel like I need carbs

I still can't eat pizza after finishing fat loss because I still overeat it. I think food addiction is another component to overeating and that processed foods like pizza stimulate too many food reward triggers. I can handle stuff like plain rice, lightly seasoned potatoes, and even stuff like whole grain bread which I've reintroduced after getting negative on gluten intolerance tests.

I still generally eat low carb. Avoid all sugar, refined flour, and even then I prefer low carb foods.

So I think regardless of people's approach to fat loss, a no brainer is to weed out foods that you overeat. I mean 4 slices of pizza is what, 1000 calories or something? You should naturally satiate before that point unless you got back from the gym or something.

Gary Whitta said:
Tonight's dinner is atomic hot links, spicy chicken wings and creamed spinach. Less than 20 carbs and that's all from the spinach. How can you not love this diet? :)

My supper:
Took a bell pepper, cut in half and cleaned out the seeds.
Fried up some ground beef, onion, celery, various spices.
Stuffed the pepper halves with the above mixture, and topped with cheddar cheese.
Baked in oven for 15 minutes.

teh_pwn said:
I still can't eat pizza after finishing fat loss because I still overeat it

Just eat everything but the crust. The toppings are the best part, and aside from the sauce, should be low carb. Cheese, meats, peppers, mushrooms, onions - all good.

NomarTyme

teh_pwn said:
I still can't eat pizza after finishing fat loss because I still overeat it. I think food addiction is another component to overeating and that processed foods like pizza stimulate too many food reward triggers. I can handle stuff like plain rice, lightly seasoned potatoes, and even stuff like whole grain bread which I've reintroduced after getting negative on gluten intolerance tests.

I still generally eat low carb. Avoid all sugar, refined flour, and even then I prefer low carb foods.

So I think regardless of people's approach to fat loss, a no brainer is to weed out foods that you overeat. I mean 4 slices of pizza is what, 1000 calories or something? You should naturally satiate before that point unless you got back from the gym or something.
Don't forget seed oils! high omega 6!

Also try making eggplant/cauliflower pizza. Although that is addicting too.

Thought my low carb brothers would like to read some stuff on the new epidemic of fatty liver disease - something that almost didn't exist beyond extreme cases 30 years ago. Caused by massive amounts of fructose and carbohydrate in the diet.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/06/16/liver.disease.ep/index.html?hpt=hp_bn1
Dr. William Carey, also a hepatologist at the Cleveland Clinic, adds, "This is huge. We didn't even know this disease existed 30 years ago. Now it's the most common liver disease in America."

Solution? Low carb, which not only burns fat throughout the whole body, but specifically in the liver.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/01/090120074631.htm
The low-carbohydrate dieters, however, got only 20 percent of their glucose from glycogen. Instead of dipping into their reserve of glycogen, these subjects burned liver fat for energy.

The findings are significant because the accumulation of excess fat in the liver – primarily a form of fat called triglycerides – can result in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, or NAFLD. The condition is the most common form of liver disease in Western countries, and its incidence is growing. Dr. Browning has previously shown that NAFLD may affect as many as one-third of U.S. adults. The disease is associated with metabolic disorders such as insulin resistance, diabetes and obesity, and it can lead to liver inflammation, cirrhosis and liver cancer.

"Energy production is expensive for the liver," Dr. Browning said. "It appears that for the people on a low-carbohydrate diet, in order to meet that expense, their livers have to burn excess fat."

Results indicate that patients on the low-carbohydrate diet increased fat burning throughout the entire body.

^
Really rings true from the fathead movie... "mother nature isn't stupid". We weren't meant to eat all this sugar and look at all the shit that happens when we do.

ipukespiders said:
^
Really rings true from the fathead movie... "mother nature isn't stupid". We weren't meant to eat all this sugar and look at all the shit that happens when we do.
Yeah, also really kills the "we just suddenly got lazy so our livers started getting fat" style of argument you still see.

High omega-6 causes fatty liver, too, especially in conjunction with fructose, so watch what your food is cooked/fried in.

Another big factor is our avoidance of egg yolks (and, to a lesser extent, liver). Both are the best sources of dietary choline, which the liver needs to process fat and can reverse fatty liver in humans.

Gary Whitta said:
If Omega-6 is bad, why do they sell those supplements that combine Omega 3-6-9?

Well, omega-6 is an essential fatty acid, meaning that, along with omega-3s, our bodies can't make it on their own. So we do need a small amount of dietary omega-6, maybe 1-2% of total calories, but we get way too much from the average modern diet.

Supplement makers are quick to jump on the "essential" branding.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
suffah said:
What are you low carb guys doing for snacks?

I haven't snacked since I started in February, because I haven't felt the need to at all. Starting the day with a meal of eggs, sausage and bacon keeps me full until lunch time, when I eat another high protein meal that holds me over until dinner at 8pm or so.

I used to always get hungry within an hour or two after eating before low-carbing and would always snack on stuff, but I don't even have the desire to do so anymore.

I ordered some of those Quest Protein bars for snacks from a recommendation in this thread.

http://www.questproteinbar.com/

Also, beef jerky is a GREAT low carb snack. Tons of protein, no carbs, great for snacking on. I have lots of different flavors here.

Also, how about a good old-fashioned hard-boiled egg?

Pork Rinds, pork cracklins, whatever they are called where you live

almonds

beef jerky

quest bars

100% all natural peanut butter

90% cacao dark chocolate

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
finally in the stretch home 77kg to 73kg started at 110kgs, "only" 4kgs ~9 lbs, after that my journey to get that kevin randleman body begins :I

Walnuts!

Here is a pic today at 146, no "before" pics.
Bruce Lee theme inspired by the fitness thread!

5849732273_34cccd55b6_z.jpg

ipukespiders said:
Walnuts!

I'd like to go ahead and demand all of the "lol anorexia" and "body dysmorphia" people from the last page to eat their fucking hats :)

Great job man.

Akim

Banned
ipukespiders said:
Walnuts!

*picture*

This makes me happy. I'm at about 6'2 and ~190 and people keep telling me I shouldn't lose weight. These people don't see me with my shirt off and I'm still so obviously fat. I have to take so much shit every day, and it kills my motivation. People laugh in my face when I tell them I'm trying to get to 160.

ipukespiders said:
Walnuts!

well done.

Im not calling you a lair but you are a huge 146lb, 6'2'' man. I expected a lot less muscle.

What is your body fat %?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Akim said:
This makes me happy. I'm at about 6'2 and ~190 and people keep telling me I shouldn't lose weight. These people don't see me with my shirt off and I'm still so obviously fat. I have to take so much shit every day, and it kills my motivation. People laugh in my face when I tell them I'm trying to get to 160.

I don't know why people think 180 or so is a perfect weight for people around 6'

I'm 5'10/5'11" or so, but when I was at 180lbs I still looked pretty damn chubby with a shirt off. I doubt it's much different for someone three inches taller and 10lbs heavier. I'm 174lbs right now, but I still have plenty of excess fat around the hips and in other areas. I'm trying to get down to 150lbs, myself.

I know BMI is disliked by lots of people, but I think it's decent as a general indicator, and 6'2" 190lbs is at the very high end of its "normal weight" category, whereas 140lbs is barely into the "underweight" category.

Zefah said:
I don't know why people think 180 or so is a perfect weight for people around 6'

I'm 5'10/5'11" or so, but when I was at 180lbs I still looked pretty damn chubby with a shirt off. I doubt it's much different for someone three inches taller and 10lbs heavier. I'm 174lbs right now, but I still have plenty of excess fat around the hips and in other areas. I'm trying to get down to 150lbs, myself.

I know BMI is disliked by lots of people, but I think it's decent as a general indicator, and 6'2" 190lbs is at the very high end of their "normal weight" category, whereas 140lbs is barely into the "underweight" underweight category.
When I was at my lowest - 6 feet, 173 or so, everyone flipped out when I said I wanted to lose more weight. Like many have said, they didn't have to see my with my shirt off. Currently at 195 and on the way back down, and my goal is 160 this time.

Akim

Banned
elrechazao said:
When I was at my lowest - 6 feet, 173 or so, everyone flipped out when I said I wanted to lose more weight. Like many have said, they didn't have to see my with my shirt off. Currently at 195 and on the way back down, and my goal is 160 this time.

LET'S DO IT.

Shaneus

ipukespiders said:
Walnuts!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2576/5849732273_34cccd55b6_z.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Um, holy shit. Being the same height as you, you've given me a new goal... currently just over 180lb (82kg) but plenty of flab/chub.

I've had a quick look through your posts and couldn't see any of this information... did you have any theories for gym work (HIIT, weights, that sort of thing) and diet? Are you in permanent keto?

twofold

elrechazao said:

Sounds like you were skinny fat.

It happens if you avoid the weights and only do cardio.

When I was 200lbs at 6'3, I ignored everyone's advice to not lose any more weight; I ended up looking malnourished and ill.

Since then, I've worked on bulking and lifting heavy - I've put on weight, but I look much, much better than I did before. I'm slowly working off the fat I've put on but I'm sure that I'll look way better than I did in the past.

Just some general info (and thanks all for the compliments).

I initially started back into weights in December, after a long long long time. I did dabble in the weights with a home set, back in 2009 - that was disorganized, and short lived... but hadn't really lifted since 1992.
I started to make some nice strength gains and was generally pleased.
After every workout, would come home and do the "flex" in the mirror thing. You guys know it, we all do it.
But Jesus Christ, I've carried this gut with me since probably grade 6. I think I would have rather been "fat" instead of "skinny-fat" - a fat guy is a fat guy, so you know what to expect, but a skinny guy with a blob of a belly just made me look ridiculous with my shirt off. And it was hardly ever off.

Anyways, I read up on calculating a calorie deficit of 500 cals per day, which for me at my Jan weight of 189, with an active work life, seemed to be 2400 cals per day.
Holy shit, I need 150+ gms of protein a day? uh, okay, so in calculating what I'm going to be eating, I'm gonna need to cut some carbs, cause I like beef too much.

No way in hell I was gonna admit to be a "low carb fad dieter"!! I just had to cut something, right? But things change, and as I started to read up on low carb, I began to realize (I truly believe) that it wasn't the deficit, but the low carb intake that has cut my fat loss. I was at probably 100 gms max per day, which is "lowish".

I actually didn't weight myself until late April, and only looked at the mirror. After a vacation in April, I decided just out of curiosity to see what the scale said. I yelled to the wife, "holy shit I'm 159lbs"... and this was after a 7 day cruise where I definitely went off my diet.

Recently, I've dropped my carbs a little more, around 60 max per day, upped my fat intake, but still take in plenty of protein. Low carb veggies. Milk and cheeses. Still have a peanut butter sandwich most work days, haven't had my raisin bran in about a week, maybe tonight. Definitely not at keto levels.

3 day workout split:
(I had been having some forearm/elbow inner joint pain, so I took a 3 week hiatus off of upper body, and stuck to legs/abs only. Just got back to doing light upper body work again earlier in the week.)
1. (presses) chest/shoulders/tris
2. (pulls) back/biceps (although biceps are on the back burner until I fully heal)
3. Legs/abs
usually 2 on, 1 off.
I make sure to do the compound exercises : squats, presses, deadlifts.

I don't do any cardio, but I won't rule it out. If the weather here (on the west coast BC) ever gets nice, I might be getting out on the bike a little. Just never been a cardio guy I guess, but things may change.

I don't know what my bodyfat is.

As you guys know, it's that damn belly fat that takes forever to disappear. My face has gotten noticeably thinner, I've had several people look at me with concern, asking if I'm okay... maybe I should invite these people to the gym with me?
Will my weight get lower? I don't know. I figure it will "settle" at what it needs to be. Obviously I wouldn't mind packing on 20-30 lbs of pure muscle, but I don't think I will do a traditional "bulk" that some guys do, as I don't want to lose my abs for that - hey, I only just got them!

Sorry for rambling on so long, I'm just writing this stuff as it comes to me and I hope it flows okay.

twofold said:
Sounds like you were skinny fat.

It happens if you avoid the weights and only do cardio.

When I was 200lbs at 6'3, I ignored everyone's advice to not lose any more weight; I ended up looking malnourished and ill.

Since then, I've worked on bulking and lifting heavy - I've put on weight, but I look much, much better than I did before. I'm slowly working off the fat I've put on but I'm sure that I'll look way better than I did in the past.
Well, I got to that 173 from about 260ish over about 8 months, so I kind of deflated, and a lot of the "omg don't lose more weight" was people seeing the quick loss and thinking that I shouldn't lose more. You know how it is - eat healthy and exercising, and people think you're anorexic or doing it "dangerously". My doctor was stunned and cheered me on, and blood work confirmed everything we know about low carb living, so I don't mind what people say. Anyway, yeah, was also doing lots of cardio back then, and have learned that lesson this time and am doing more resistance training now.

Shaneus

ipukespiders said:
Sorry for rambling on so long, I'm just writing this stuff as it comes to me and I hope it flows okay.
That's exactly what this thread (or I) needed... an actual account from someone where it isn't made to sound like an exact science. Glad to hear you're not in keto, either... it's easy to keep things low carb but damn if it isn't a struggle to get into (and stay in) ketosis.

Schlep

Gary Whitta said:
Truth. Medium-rare filet mignon (9 oz) with mushrooms & garlic butter and a giant salad. Why my dog is fixated on the salad, the world may never know.

Click to enlarge

Zefah said:

I know BMI is disliked by lots of people, but I think it's decent as a general indicator, and 6'2" 190lbs is at the very high end of its "normal weight" category, whereas 140lbs is barely into the "underweight" category.

I'm 5/10 and I go down to 145 for kickboxing fights. Most people are surprised with how tall I am, that I can get that low. Might be my legs arent huge, holding alotta weight/muscle in that area.

Ettie

Alrighty. My wife has decided to give test the low-carb waters. I told her to start with 100g total and no more than 15g from sugar daily. Right now she's up over 500 daily, so this is a big change.

As the "guide" for this safari, I cannot screw it up. So, I know that 100 is not what you (we) would call low-carb, but it is a significant change for her and should be enough to get her started.

Outside of limiting the amount of sugar intake, will she negate the effects of the carb cutting if all her carbs are sloppy carbs? Like, she has a bunless burger with a slice of cheese, glass of crystal light and serving of potato chips. 25g net carbs, but some of them are mighty ugly carbs. Does the diet still work when you do it like this, provided that you don't go over your daily cap?

Ettie said:
Alrighty. My wife has decided to give test the low-carb waters. I told her to start with 100g total and no more than 15g from sugar daily. Right now she's up over 500 daily, so this is a big change.

As the "guide" for this safari, I cannot screw it up. So, I know that 100 is not what you (we) would call low-carb, but it is a significant change for her and should be enough to get her started.

Outside of limiting the amount of sugar intake, will she negate the effects of the carb cutting if all her carbs are sloppy carbs? Like, she has a bunless burger with a slice of cheese, glass of crystal light and serving of potato chips. 25g net carbs, but some of them are mighty ugly carbs. Does the diet still work when you do it like this, provided that you don't go over your daily cap?
It totally works - you don't need to go into major ketosis to get the benefit.

http://grokette.wordpress.com/2009/08/04/mark-sissons-carbohydrate-curve/

Ettie said:

I'm no expert but I would say cut out the chips and eat mixed nuts or something as a side instead.

Shaneus

It's actually pretty easy to stay under 100g... it's when you get to <50g and <20g that it gets tough. Just cut out all bread, sugary foods and starchy vegies and you're almost all there.

Top Bottom