• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

ch0mp

AceBandage said:
They're full of a lot more sugar than most fruits, and have less nutrients and fiber.
As has been said a few times, the best is berries (specifically blueberries and raspberries).
Most green apples are fine, as well (though, some variations are far sweeter and have more sugar than others).

Fiber is basically what your body uses to cleanse your system. If you don't get enough, then... well things won't move, so to speak.
If you're going low carb, then be sure to get some good forms of fiber like flax seed or eat high fiber veggies.
It's really very rare that one day will send you to the hospital, it would just be a bit uncomfortable.
Fibre does nothing for you. For people who have been eating large amounts of fibre, suddenly dropping your consumption to zero will probably make you constipated. If your colon is used to pushing around huge fibre laden turds it can become 'desensitized' to the much smaller ones you get with low carb (and consequently fibre) style eating.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
BertramCooper said:
This is the weight loss thread. If you want to lose a substantial amount of weight, you need cardio.

Any successful regimen needs both cardio and strength training.

This is not true at all. Weight loss is 110% diet. You can lose weight sitting on the couch. It is best to weight train while losing weight to make sure you are losing mostly fat, but even that is not necessary.

That being said, cardio is great for you and there is no reason NOT to do it (only benefits).

But the mindset that diet and cardio are equally important is dangerous. Diet is the most crucial part of losing weight. I firmly believe this.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Srsly said:
I've lost tons of weight without cardio. In previous weight loss attempts, cardio has only served to derail me.

I suspect overtraining cardio does lots of damage to many people because it doesn't necessary correct a body fat setpoint but causes injury and cortisol levels to go up.

re: Cardio

I lost a bunch of weight last year, running 25-30 miles a week like a madman. I gained some back after some health issues and regressing to poor diet.

So this year I've been losing weight, eating the same diet as last year, and due to my pretty careful record keeping of what I ate, how much I ran, etc, I'm able to track my weight loss. This year, with basically zero cardio, I'm losing just as much, if not more, at the same or better rate of weight loss.

Exercise (and mostly HIIT and resistance training) is great for sculpting your body, making you healthy, etc, but for pure weight loss, it's not really that important.

teh_pwn

AceBandage said:
Fiber is basically what your body uses to cleanse your system. If you don't get enough, then... well things won't move, so to speak.
If you're going low carb, then be sure to get some good forms of fiber like flax seed or eat high fiber veggies.
It's really very rare that one day will send you to the hospital, it would just be a bit uncomfortable.

Fiber is just stuff in food that cannot be digested. I haven't used fiber supplements in years, but I wouldn't just take any supplement. I think some of them are exclusively soluble fiber which will bulk up your bowel movements and if anything make constipation worse.

I would recommend green leafy vegetables and a magnesium supplement.

Srsly

Banned
teh_pwn said:
I suspect overtraining cardio does lots of damage to many people because it doesn't necessary correct a body fat setpoint but causes injury and cortisol levels to go up.

Yep. I became stressed out and would be prone to binging after doing long steady state cardio sessions. It actually took a couple of days for my cortisol levels to come down, I suspect. On the other hand, you can walk indefinitely without raising cortisol levels and short bursts of intense activity don't really raise cortisol levels nearly as much as the steady state stuff.

smurfx

get some go again
bengraven said:
Um, story behind this? I've been on the fence about going low low carb for a year now, but this worries me.
just buy some flax seed if you go low carb. you will be crapping up a storm. :p

i was thinking of joining a spin class. Do you just sign up and then try to keep up until you've done it enough where you're not having to break from the instructor and rest?

Touche. Pwn is the last person I would ever pick an argument with.

That said, I needed cardio when I first started losing weight, simply because I couldn't do much strength training. I couldn't do a single goddamned pushup because I was so heavy.

And I still love doing it. It makes me feel great. I couldn't imagine losing weight without it, but that's just me.

teh_pwn

BertramCooper said:

That said, I needed cardio when I first started losing weight, simply because I couldn't do much strength training. I couldn't do a single goddamned pushup because I was so heavy.

And I still love doing it. It makes me feel great. I couldn't imagine losing weight without it, but that's just me.

It's okay to disagree. My days of 100 links and constant arguing on the internets is over I think.

I exercise because it makes me feel healthier. Cardiovascular health so I don't have to breath hard walking up stairs.

BertramCooper said:

If you like a physical activity, I don't think anyone would say don't do it. Sometimes I like to go for a run just to get out there (not in the freaking summer though), and for me, the psychological committment to the running was what I knew how to do at that point in my big weight loss journey.

NomarTyme

teh_pwn said:
Fiber is just stuff in food that cannot be digested. I haven't used fiber supplements in years, but I wouldn't just take any supplement. I think some of them are exclusively soluble fiber which will bulk up your bowel movements and if anything make constipation worse.

I would recommend green leafy vegetables and a magnesium supplement.
Again I would recommend taking Magnesium Glycinate if you're worry about the diarrhetic effect of Citrate.

AceBandage said:
I believe cardio is good for increasing stamina and lung capacity, isn't it?

Yes, sprinting!
Also read this

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/case-against-cardio/

teh_pwn

NomarTyme said:
Again I would recommend taking Magnesium Glycinate if you're worry about the diarrhetic effect of Citrate.

I tolerate 400 mg of citrate, but I'll try this other stuff out too. Though in this case the laxative effect may be desirable for people, ha.

NomarTyme

teh_pwn said:
I tolerate 400 mg of citrate, but I'll try this other stuff out too. Though in this case the laxative effect may be desirable for people, ha.
LOL. I'm the one that have to clean up the toilet....

Srsly

Banned
AceBandage said:

I rarely use the treadmill. Sometimes I do when the weather outside is nasty or something. Anyway, there was a period of time recently where I was doing lots of walking at a normal pace, 30 minutes of sprints a week, and weight training twice a week totaling a little over an hour. Before that, I happened to do some walking on the treadmill. I was walking at 2.5mph with a 5 degree incline to get to my heart rate up to 130 BPM, and it would often shoot up to 140 BPM during the session, which lasted 40 minutes. Simply walking at 2.5mph with a 5 degree incline was a bit of a chore. A couple of months later after doing the walking (on a flat surface on local trails), occasional sprinting and weights 2x a week, I decided to use the treadmill again. Two months had lapsed since my previous treadmill useage -- this time I had to walk at 3.5mph with a 15 degree incline to barely get my heart rate to 120 bpm, and I felt like I could go forever. I had made huge improvements in my cardiovascular health without doing any steady-state running/jogging. Perhaps it was just that I lost 20 lbs in that span, which is why I would suggest an overweight person to worry about his weight first if he wants to improve his cardiovascular health.

Zoe

AceBandage said:

If you want to increase lung capacity, swimming is a great way to do it. At my prime I was able to hold my breath for over 2.5 minutes.

You have to actually try at it though--don't breathe for every stroke you take.

McLovin

Wow, lost 3lbs this week. Didn't go to the gym or anything. I think I sweated it out while sleeping(its been crazy hot this week).

ch0mp

cluxdeluxe said:
It builds up your endurance and vo2 max. It will also lower your heart rate. Mine is usually in 40s or 50s when I check. Running doesn't build muscle but makes your lungs strong and burns fat if you run long distances.
It also makes you realllllly hungry.

McLovin

cluxdeluxe said:
No it wont. If you have lots of fat on you it will just burn fat if run long distances. I did a 20 mile run today and never hit the muscle burning point.
I always thought that running more then 30 minutes made you burn muscle, is that just a myth?

teh_pwn

cluxdeluxe said:
No it wont. If you have lots of fat on you it will just burn fat if run long distances. I did a 20 mile run today and never hit the muscle burning point.

What do you use to tell when your body is cannibalizing lean tissue for amino acids?

cluxdeluxe said:
Your body will only burn muscle if your body is completely depleted of resources. You need to be anarexic to burn muscle.
This is not true at all. If it were, every single diet there is would make you just lose all of your fat and leave your muscle.

Srsly

Banned
cluxdeluxe said:
Your body will only burn muscle if your body is completely depleted of resources. You need to be anarexic to burn muscle.

Which is why in virtually every weight loss study the participants lost lean mass as well as fat mass?

Even pro body builders who use steroids and growth hormones while cutting lose a bit of lean mass

cluxdeluxe said:
How much were they running in these studies and were the people strength training?
So the act of running suspends the normal metabolic functions of the body, and stops all use of muscle mass? How fast does one have to run to generate this effect? If I stay under 5mph will I lose muscle, but if I go over I'll burn only fat until there is nothing left but muscle in my body?

What you said is patently ridiculous.

teh_pwn

cluxdeluxe said:

While I don't understand all of the variables involved in muscle atrophy, I know this isn't true. Amino acids cannot be created from fat and starch. When you use muscle or you live day to day, you need amino acids to live and if you don't eat enough protein the body prioritizes by cannibalizing muscle to keep the heart and organs healthy.

In labs in which they were studying leptin and insulin, rats injected with insulin on a regular basis died obese and the cause of death was a cannibalized heart. With insulin always high, the body could not use fat as fuel and had to break down muscle for calories.

So I think the answer is you don't know when your body is burning muscle. I thought you were using some sort of measurement/test like ketosis urine strips but for excessive protein breakdown metabolism or something.

My concern would be that 20 miles of cardio would be not getting the necessary protein and recovery time to repair the wear/tear of running that long. Something I don't understand is when the body decides to use ketosis or muscle breakdown to fuel the body during cardio. My uneducated guess is that it uses anything it can because you're burning calories so quickly and you're going to run out of glycogen.

teh_pwn

cluxdeluxe said:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/202524-does-running-burn-fat-or-muscle/

This link says if you do resistance training you will not lose muscle mass. I do strength training with my distance running and I have been gaining muscle. I do dips, pullups with different grips, bench, and other stuff like that throughout the week. I also do boxing training on the side. Maybe I don't have a normal body but I havent been losing muscle just fat on my belly that revealed my 8 pack.

Eh, that's a factoid article with more uncontrolled variables than can be counted. I was wondering if there was some sort of test you were using to confirm how much lean tissue was being burnt.

I think you can lose muscle pretty easily by eating insufficient protein and doing the same heavy lifting exercise daily with insufficient sleep.

Srsly

Banned
cluxdeluxe said:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/202524-does-running-burn-fat-or-muscle/

This link says if you do resistance training you will not lose muscle mass. I do strength training with my distance running and I have been gaining muscle. I do dips, pullups with different grips, bench, and other stuff like that throughout the week. I also do boxing training on the side. Maybe I don't have a normal body but I havent been losing muscle just fat on my belly that revealed my 8 pack.

Yes, you can reduce the loss of lean mass while cutting, but you can't completely halt it. You will look significantly more muscular if you lose a lot of fat and only a little muscle. This is an optical illusion. If you're untrained you will become stronger as well through optimizations in your neural network.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The weekend was not conducive to my low carb/healthy eating. It seems like I can go all week just fine, but I get to the weekend and am out and about and always have to grab Subway or something. I think I hit 2000/1900 calories both days and was around 200g+ of carbs.

Oh well, back on low carb for the week!

Wiktor

Ettie said:
They fade and get less noticeable over time, provided you lose enough fat to get rid of the bulge. When they bulge the color change is apparent from the inside to the outside of the mark. AFAIK, there is no corrective measure for stretch marks once they aren't red anymore. The blood is out of them at that point, making any change difficult. They're more like scars by then.
Well, you can always surgicaly cut them out. Works especially well if you still have a tiny big of loose sking after weight loss.

Deadly Cyclone said:
The weekend was not conducive to my low carb/healthy eating. It seems like I can go all week just fine, but I get to the weekend and am out and about and always have to grab Subway or something. I think I hit 2000/1900 calories both days and was around 200g+ of carbs.

Oh well, back on low carb for the week!

Usually on weekends this happens to me too; however, I get creative. Instead of a big sandwich at Subway or Port-a-Subs, order a small sourdough sandwich with double meat, cheese, avocado, and bacon. You can also load up on extra veggies. I know Jimmy Johns have Unwiches, which are sandwiches wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun.

omgkitty

I need your help GAF. I am afraid something has happened that I never thought would. A few days ago I started noticing that I was constantly thirsty and was going to the bathroom five or six times a day. I thought it might be because of the heat, but if that was true, I wouldn’t be needing to go to the bathroom constantly. I mentioned it to my dad, and he told me that it was one of the symptons for diabetes. He didn’t really seem to make a big deal about it, and kind of played it off. I, however, did not. I had always worried it might happen, and now it may have. I looked up the symptoms, and the only other sympton I match is vision issues, but part of that is because the office I work in is very bright and causes me to have floaters while working, but it is not an issue outside of the office. I understand that symptoms can be unseen for years, but it only started recently.

I have not been to the doctor in about a year, and I don’t plan on going now. Quite frankly, I am terrified. I have decided to change my diet and start excercising. Last year I started dietining in January of 2010. I kept with it religiously for about 4 or 5 months, and ended up losing somewhere around 60 pounds, bringing my lowest total to around 320. This was all without any sort of exercise whatsoever, and my diet consisted of just cutting out crap and eating healthily. I kind of got off of the diet, and stopped completely sometime last winter. I started to gain weight and I am now at 370. I am 6’5, so while this is a good amount of weight, I am not as heavy as if I was a lot shorter. A few months ago, I attempted a high protein/low carb diet, and while I lost about 6 or 7 pounds, it didn’t go that well, and I didn’t really notice any change.

I need to know what you think I should do. I have today gone back to my healthy diet, and am literally too scared to eat any more crap. I have a friend of mine who was in a similar situation as I am in now (albeit he is much older and smaller than I am) who lost around 20 or 30 pounds and cut down his chances significantly of having diabetes. He did it without getting a checkup for health insurance reasons, but was checking his levels daily. I just need to know what I need to do or watch out for. I am not really versed in the disease, and it almost makes me sick thinking about it. I want to beat this the natural way.

omgkitty said:
I need your help GAF. I am afraid something has happened that I never thought would. A few days ago I started noticing that I was constantly thirsty and was going to the bathroom five or six times a day. I thought it might be because of the heat, but if that was true, I wouldn’t be needing to go to the bathroom constantly. I mentioned it to my dad, and he told me that it was one of the symptons for diabetes. He didn’t really seem to make a big deal about it, and kind of played it off. I, however, did not. I had always worried it might happen, and now it may have. I looked up the symptoms, and the only other sympton I match is vision issues, but part of that is because the office I work in is very bright and causes me to have floaters while working, but it is not an issue outside of the office. I understand that symptoms can be unseen for years, but it only started recently.

I have not been to the doctor in about a year, and I don’t plan on going now. Quite frankly, I am terrified. I have decided to change my diet and start excercising. Last year I started dietining in January of 2010. I kept with it religiously for about 4 or 5 months, and ended up losing somewhere around 60 pounds, bringing my lowest total to around 320. This was all without any sort of exercise whatsoever, and my diet consisted of just cutting out crap and eating healthily. I kind of got off of the diet, and stopped completely sometime last winter. I started to gain weight and I am now at 370. I am 6’5, so while this is a good amount of weight, I am not as heavy as if I was a lot shorter. A few months ago, I attempted a high protein/low carb diet, and while I lost about 6 or 7 pounds, it didn’t go that well, and I didn’t really notice any change.

I need to know what you think I should do. I have today gone back to my healthy diet, and am literally too scared to eat any more crap. I have a friend of mine who was in a similar situation as I am in now (albeit he is much older and smaller than I am) who lost around 20 or 30 pounds and cut down his chances significantly of having diabetes. He did it without getting a checkup for health insurance reasons, but was checking his levels daily. I just need to know what I need to do or watch out for. I am not really versed in the disease, and it almost makes me sick thinking about it. I want to beat this the natural way.

so you're making plans to combat a disease you may or may not have? Just go to the doctor and find out what you need to do to reach your goals.

omgkitty

Obviously I should, but I think I am too afraid to. I honestly don't want to know. I mean, can they force me to do certain things if I show positive for it? Also, are the effects reversible? There's so much crap on the internet I can't trust.

Zoe

omgkitty said:
Obviously I should, but I think I am too afraid to. I honestly don't want to know. I mean, can they force me to do certain things if I show positive for it? Also, are the effects reversible? There's so much crap on the internet I can't trust.

Nobody can force you into treatment unless you're declared incompetent.

Doctors can't force you to do anything. They're ethically bound to keep your information confidential and have no authority to enforce anything.

diabetes is not a death sentence. Its a totally treatable condition. They'll test your blood sugar after you fast for 9-10 hours. They may want to test it again to be sure another day. But the best way to approach medical concerns is to get the facts so you can make informed and safe decisions for your future. Diabetes isn't reversible but depending on the type you may (or may not) have there have been some pretty fantastic advances in treatment.

omgkitty

Zoe said:
Nobody can force you into treatment unless you're declared incompetent.

Well that's good. I am guessing the general consensus here is that I need to go to the doctor, but if I do have it, what can I expect? Like is there anything I will need to do differently as far as dieting and exercising go?

Top Bottom