• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

omgkitty said:
Well that's good. I am guessing the general consensus here is that I need to go to the doctor, but if I do have it, what can I expect? Like is there anything I will need to do differently as far as dieting and exercising go?

At most you'll take insulin shots and monitor your sugar levels.

So, relax and don't self diagnose yourself just yet. Go to a doctor and get the facts. If you are diabetic its sooo not the end of the world. Your quality of life will not take a nose dive. I promise.

I'm always thirsty and have to go to the bathroom a lot, as well.
Of course, I've been like that my whole life and a slew of blood tests have shown nothing.
It's less that I'm actually thirsty and more an oral fixation.
:p

NomarTyme

omgkitty said:
Obviously I should, but I think I am too afraid to. I honestly don't want to know. I mean, can they force me to do certain things if I show positive for it? Also, are the effects reversible? There's so much crap on the internet I can't trust.
It is reversible, but you need to find out if you're diabetic. Maybe you're just pre-diabetes, and if you are diabetic then there is a book written by Bernstein you should check out.

Ettie

AdrianWerner said:
Well, you can always surgicaly cut them out. Works especially well if you still have a tiny big of loose sking after weight loss.

Did not know that was possible. I don't think it would work for me. I'll post some pics some time, but basically I look like I was attacked with a flaming garden rake. My entire torso is covered. Many don't get them to that degree I guess, so if surgery is a simple option I'd go that route.

Off Topic: I used your lists for years dude, thank you.

Ettie said:
Did not know that was possible. I don't think it would work for me. I'll post some pics some time, but basically I look like I was attacked with a flaming garden rake. My entire torso is covered. Many don't get them to that degree I guess, so if surgery is a simple option I'd go that route.

Off Topic: I used your lists for years dude, thank you.

I've said it before:

lens2937262_1287580310Mederma-stretch-marks-the

This stuff works great.
I have horrible marks on my sides from my massive weight gain years ago. One tube of this drastically reduced them. You can still kind of see them in the right light, but it doesn't look like I was part of some sort of sword fight.

omgkitty

Thanks for all of the advice. I sucked it up and am going to the doctor tomorrow. Too bad I just now found out my damn co-pay is $50. SMFH

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
AceBandage said:
Haha, how does a steak even cause a heart attack.

The idea that meat is unhealthy is in absolute direct conflict with the theory of Evolution. Humans that could eat meat during winter, famine, and drought survived. That's the biggest kind of natural selection: either you can and you live, or you can't and you die. It isn't a "having grandparents over thousands of years gave a 5% advantage over children that didn't, so longevity was selected for".

Observational evidence refutes it too. Plenty of meat eating tribes were studied and had typical lifespans, like the Inuit, Eskimos, Maasai.

teh_pwn

What really amazes me is how many other 1st world countries get their nutrition guidelines from the most obese and sick nation in the world:
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_obe-health-obesity

Especially the UK. They had great nutritionists like Yudkin, and some of the greatest scientists in evolutionary biology. They shouldn't listen to US.

In ancient times the Romans would test newly built aqueducts on rural communities for years, evaluate their health, and then if they were healthy route the water into Rome. Same basic 1st grader concept.

TheExodu5

Banned
Very bad cheat night, tonight. My mom wanted to take me out to a restaurant, so we went to an Indian restaurant. As it was my first time, I took the 'bit of everything' platter. With about a cup of rice, and a piece of porathas (possibly the best bread I've ever tasted). The rest of the dishes were nearly carb free (mostly curries)...but still. I probably ate a good 100g of carbs out of the rice and bread, along with a good 1200 calories for the meal.

Oh well, at least I haven't had a cheat day in 2 weeks now, so I don't feel too bad.

I'm going to visit my grandmother's in a week...that's going to be the hardest thing in the world. She makes the most delicious food ever, but it's almost all dough/pastry based. Damn French Canadians. I don't know if I can say no to blueberry pie, or tourtiere du Lac St-Jean. :(

I guess I could just try to control my portions...

OMGKitty -- go to the doctor. Has the symptoms of diabetes, but may not be. My sister developed Type 1 Diabetes when she was well into her 20s, and not diet related. Diabetes sucks and you cant self diagnose it, so get a move on. Make an appointment. If you have diabetes, or you're developing it, visiting a doctor sooner will save your organs later.

Chiggs said:
Who here has seen the documentary Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead?

It makes me want to try the juice detox diet.
we talked about it a half dozen pages or so ago. Cliffs notes iom: it's a stupid diet with no science and presented in a disingenuous way.

Reading these threads is always my folly. I'm relatively slender these days, I used to be fat, and I'm in the best shape of my adult life... But I seriously don't get any of the leading weight loss / muscle build / health living / eating right philosophies.

elrechazao said:
we talked about it a half dozen pages or so ago. Cliffs notes iom: it's a stupid diet with no science and presented in a disingenuous way.

What's disingenuous about it? It certainly saved one man's life, (the truck driver) so I wouldn't just dismiss it as "a stupid diet with no science." What does that even mean?

Low carb is a great lifestyle, if done right, but it's not the end all be all of fitness and nutrition. You guys should keep that in mind, and be open to other ideas.

And I really don't recommend the no exercise thing you guys were talking about it a page or so ago. Exercise is extremely important and its benefits are endless for both the mind and body.

TheExodu5

Banned
No one said to avoid exercise.

Also, it's a diet composed of sugar and lemon. You're going to be extremely deficient in a lot of nutrients. I would imagine a ton of muscle loss would accompany such a diet, as you'd be taking in no fat or protein...and that's not exactly desirable for a man.

Taking in too little fat is okay.
Taking in too little carbs is okay.
Taking in too little fat and carbs is bad.
Taking in too little protein is bad.

Domino Theory said:
"Juice detox", lol.

You don't detox by limiting your consumption to sugar water 24/7.

The only sugar type of fruit he used were green apples. Other than that it was mostly green veggies. Celery, kale, some ginger root and a little lemon.

It's not like you go to the store and buy a bunch of processed fruit juices.

TheExodu5

Banned
If he's got greens in there, then that's better...but you still need proteins as well, if you want to avoid major muscle loss.

I think many people here assumed the "The Master Cleanse" was what you were talking about. It's a borderline idiotic and dangerous diet that revolved around drinking water, lemon juice, maple syup, and cayenne pepper for 40 days.

Some guy here claims better muscle gains after a short 5-7 day detox diet:
http://www.drugfreebodybuilding.com/better_gains_eat_protein.htm

I'm not completely sold...I can't think of any scientific reason why this would help. At least 5-7 days won't be as hurtful as 40, though.

Akim

Banned
LocoMrPollock said:
The only sugar type of fruit he used were green apples. Other than that it was mostly green veggies. Celery, kale, some ginger root and a little lemon.

hahahahahahahahahaha

teh_pwn

LocoMrPollock said:

Fructose is fructose. It doesn't matter where it comes from anymore than where your water is bottled or air is bottled. The idea of detoxing on a dose dependent toxin is strange to me.

By no science he probably means there's no controlled scientific experiments to show it does anything more than horoscopes. While exercise improves health, you won't find many controlled experiments showing that obesity is caused by lack of exercise. The fitness industry, cardio and calorie labels lagged the obesity epidemic. People maintained good body composition solely using hunger, so I think the root cause question is "what causes the body's hunger system to become disregulated?".

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
LocoMrPollock said:
What's disingenuous about it? It certainly saved one man's life, (the truck driver) so I wouldn't just dismiss it as "a stupid diet with no science." What does that even mean?

Low carb is a great lifestyle, if done right, but it's not the end all be all of fitness and nutrition. You guys should keep that in mind, and be open to other ideas.

And I really don't recommend the no exercise thing you guys were talking about it a page or so ago. Exercise is extremely important and its benefits are endless for both the mind and body.

No, sir, it is you who is being closed minded by advocating people should be open to ideas that have zero scientific backing. Might as well believe in magical pills at that point. The movie is filled with pseudo science. It is almost certainly a direct result of ceasing the consumption of loads of garbage that saved that man's life, and not his consumption of juice.

Also, I don't think anyone was advocating 'no exercise'; people were just saying that you don't need exercise to lose weight. Moderate exercise is obviously beneficial in a variety of ways.

TheExodu5

Banned
From a very unhealthy state, sure starving yourself might have positive impact. If you have a ton of fat and muscle in store, your body will certainly clean itself, and be able to survive off itself for a little while. I'm sure there are points where such a diet can start becoming dangerous, however. How long does it take for symptoms of protein deficiency to show up? One of the symptoms is severe depression...combined with the lack of caloric intake, I think that's a very dangerous proposition.

teh_pwn said:
Fructose is fructose. It doesn't matter where it comes from anymore than where your water is bottled or air is bottled. The idea of detoxing on a dose dependent toxin is strange to me.

By no science he probably means there's no controlled scientific experiments to show it does anything more than horoscopes. While exercise improves health, you won't find many controlled experiments showing that obesity is caused by lack of exercise. The fitness industry, cardio and calorie labels lagged the obesity epidemic. People maintained good body composition solely using hunger, so I think the root cause question is "what causes the body's hunger system to become disregulated?".

It worked for him and it saved his life. Is it atypical, probably not.

I also don't think 2 green apples a day qualify as toxin, especially when taken with so much veggies. Do you have any idea what's in meat and dairy, are all those toxins and hormones good for you?

I would like to see the science that says all fructose is bad, and the negative effect it has on our bodies.

I'm an advocate of the low carb lifestyle, but after living on it for going on 3 years now, I'm looking to change it up a little. It's a disgusting diet, food wise, anyway.

As for the exercise, I wasn't talking about weight loss, just general fitness and well being and being in shape.

Akim said:
hahahahahahahahahaha

You're an idiot. Congratulations.

TheExodu5

Banned
Damn...from that site I linked:

In 1700, the average person consumed about 4 pounds of sugar per year.
In 1800, the average person consumed about 18 pounds of sugar per year.
In 1900, individual consumption had risen to 90 pounds of sugar per year.
In 2009, more than 50 percent of all Americans consume one-half pound of sugar PER DAY—translating to a whopping 180 pounds of sugar per year!

1/2 pound a day. Holy shit.

LocoMrPollock said:
I know processed and refined sugar is bad, but I can't find anything about your common apple being bad for you.

Keep reading. An apple is not bad for you. The fructose in the apple, however, is bad...but since it's accompanied by lots of vitamins and fiber, it's not an unhealthy food. We're not saying that eating fruits and vegetables is bad for you. What we're saying is completely cutting out protein intake is not safe.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
LocoMrPollock said:
It worked for him and it saved his life. Is it atypical, probably not.

I also don't think 2 green apples a day qualify as toxin, especially when taken with so much veggies. Do you have any idea what's in meat and dairy, are all those toxins and hormones good for you?

I would like to see the science that says all fructose is bad, and the negative effect it has on our bodies.

I'm an advocate of the low carb lifestyle, but after living on it for going on 3 years now, I'm looking to change it up a little. It's a disgusting diet, food wise, anyway.

As for the exercise, I wasn't talking about weight loss, just general fitness and well being and being in shape.

You're an idiot. Congratulations.

Do you not see the contradiction here? You're assuming that things are good because they are veggies (a culinary term, often including garbage like corn), and that meat and dairy are inherently bad, because they are meat and dairy.

But, yeah, look up how the body processes fructose. It doesn't matter what the source or amount is, it's processed in the same way.

teh_pwn

LocoMrPollock said:

Fructose doesn't have varieties. It is fructose or it isn't. It would be like saying that vodka is a magical tonic whereas scotch kills you. It doesn't make sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose#Health_effects
http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/295/5/R1370.full
http://www.sciencedaily.com/search/...ion=all&filename=&period=1825&sort=relevance#
http://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/early/2010/07/01/ASN.2009111111.abstract

TheExodu5

Banned
K2Valor said:

I didn't exactly do a background check on him...the article I pointed to seemed fairly clean though...with a mish-mash of repuatble and perhaps more questionable sources.

Then again...that article you linked seems to think the American Heart Association is trustworthy and subscribes to science based medicine...so we'll just say that it's not all black & white.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
TheExodu5 said:
Very bad cheat night, tonight. My mom wanted to take me out to a restaurant, so we went to an Indian restaurant. As it was my first time, I took the 'bit of everything' platter. With about a cup of rice, and a piece of porathas (possibly the best bread I've ever tasted). The rest of the dishes were nearly carb free (mostly curries)...but still. I probably ate a good 100g of carbs out of the rice and bread, along with a good 1200 calories for the meal.

Oh well, at least I haven't had a cheat day in 2 weeks now, so I don't feel too bad.

I'm going to visit my grandmother's in a week...that's going to be the hardest thing in the world. She makes the most delicious food ever, but it's almost all dough/pastry based. Damn French Canadians. I don't know if I can say no to blueberry pie, or tourtiere du Lac St-Jean. :(

I guess I could just try to control my portions...
Only 100g of rice and naan? That must be so little :[
Rice is loaded like crazies and good naan is mind blowing.

As for me I'm down 10 pounds in under 5 weeks.
Gogo low carban

TheExodu5

Banned
Hazaro said:
Only 100g of rice and naan? That must be so little :[
Rice is loaded like crazies and good naan is mind blowing.

As for me I'm down 10 pounds in under 5 weeks.
Gogo low carban

Yeah...probably closer to 200g-250g, now that I think of it. :( It wasn't exactly naan bread...it was a much doughier bread they called Parathen or something like that. Friggin' delicious.

Top Bottom