• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

I am back. My goal for this new year is to lose the last 30 lbs I have left from my earlier exploits. I lost 100... but then lost motivation and dropped the diet. Luckily I am FAR mare active than I used to be and avoided gaining too much weight back.

Going to be a different experience this time around since I am going to be student teaching meaning school lunches, and since I live on campus I am forced into a campus meal plan Low Carb is out of the question. If I cannot get results I will go low carb when the semester ends in may.

My before/after post from earlier in the year:
So. I have been posting here and never been brave enough to post pics.

I am nearing my goal so here they go. I never really took "before" pics, but this one was from a family gathering around the time I started dieting.

May 1, 2012: 330 lbs at 6'5"
IRzW4cv.jpg

Today: 225 lbs
ygguNQF.jpg

I would still like to get a bit more in shape and lose another 10 lbs of fat, but in general I am very happy with my progress over the last 9 months or so.

One year ago today I resolved to lose weight. Am 6'5" or so and was 336 lbs. Today I weighed in at 228, 3 up from my low just before the holidays. Still a loss of 108 lbs, something I never thought I'd be able to achieve in just a year. Thank you all for the inspiration and advice!

This year I resolve to knock off another 25 pounds or so (I'd love to break 200) but what I really need to do is work on lifting and exercising more, getting in shape (my wife says I have chicken arms now, haha).

I started working out about half a year ago. Recently, I started to feel like it was starting to show. I would look in the mirror while training and get impressed and feel good about myself. With that came confidence and the will to train more. I started to feel that my clothes were getting looser, my stretch-marks seemed to become less and less visible and my frame started to look smaller. My muscles are starting to look more pronounced, I'm upping the weights every week and making progress while my cardio is getting better and better.

And yet, I weigh exactly the same as when I started. I stopped caring about weight since I know that there's more to becoming thin than just weighing less. But then I decided to measure my waist, and realized it's the exact same size as it was 1.5 months back.

I really don't get how. I feel like I look smaller, I've had several people tell me I look smaller and I feel better, and yet I feel like a total failure.

I'm definitely not going to give up and I'm going to eat better, but I just can't shake off this feeling if I've failed or not. Some signs point towards progress especially the ones pertaining to the weights I can handle, but everything else feels like it could be an illusion that I'm just imagining.

Has anyone else been in the same situation? :(

After losing over 100 lbs from April 1, 2013 - November 1, 2013 (was 342 lbs), I've been hovering around 238 - 247. I'm still running over 3 mi 4-6 times a week and hitting the weights about 3 days a week. My diet has been a mess, though. I ate poorly throughout the holidays, but thought I'd be able to pull it together post New Years... it's been very difficult to reign in my eating. I feel like Ive lost my motivation to eat right and just keep up the exercise out of habit.

rokkerkory

I am back. My goal for this new year is to lose the last 30 lbs I have left from my earlier exploits. I lost 100... but then lost motivation and dropped the diet. Luckily I am FAR mare active than I used to be and avoided gaining too much weight back.

Going to be a different experience this time around since I am going to be student teaching meaning school lunches, and since I live on campus I am forced into a campus meal plan Low Carb is out of the question. If I cannot get results I will go low carb when the semester ends in may.

My before/after post from earlier in the year:

Great job man... it looks like you need to buy clothes that fit your body better now. Which is a good problem to have. Keep it up.

jred2k

After losing over 100 lbs from April 1, 2013 - November 1, 2013 (was 342 lbs), I've been hovering around 238 - 247. I'm still running over 3 mi 4-6 times a week and hitting the weights about 3 days a week. My diet has been a mess, though. I ate poorly throughout the holidays, but thought I'd be able to pull it together post New Years... it's been very difficult to reign in my eating. I feel like Ive lost my motivation to eat right and just keep up the exercise out of habit.

I'm kind of in the same boat. The holidays were complete shit in terms of diet, but now that I'm back to a regular schedule at work its a bit easier. Meal wise I ate pretty well it was all the sweets and snacks that were around that wore on me. I've had the problem of saying "tomorrow is the day I turn it around", but I finally got to the point I could tell myself "today is the day I turn it around" and I've managed to get back on track with eating. I probably could have stayed out ahead of the eating, but I recently got a puppy so the regular blocks of time set aside for exercise have gotten harder to come by. It has been a good wake up call to my eating habits, though, and I feel like I'm back on the right path now. Spring can't come soon enough so I can spend some more time outside with my dog and get some more natural exercise.

The one good take away I had was that I was at least actively thinking about what I was consuming. I may have been eating like shit, but a year or two ago it wouldn't have even bothered me. Shows some progress at least from a mental point of view.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Well, guys, the best thing about right now is that the holidays are essentially over so we can stop cooking up excuses to eat poorly. I know I made my fair share of justifications. I've managed to up my activity level, though, so I've been maintaining between 170-175 lbs.

The important thing is that we just acknowledge that we aren't going to give 100% every day and not give up because of a bad day, or week, or month. This ol' weight loss shit is a war of inches. Pounds are lost and gained by making many good or bad choices every day for a very long time. As long as you don't give up, and try to make more good decisions than bad every day, you will eventually see some progress whether it be inches lost or body composition changes.

At this point I'm probably not going to get much "smaller". I've gone from 350+, size 54 pants and a 3xl shirt to 170-175, size 32 pants, and a medium shirt. I've got a fair bit of loose skin and, while I've been maintaining this weight for about 6-7 months now, I've noticed a lot of composition changes. My loose skin is getting less "loose". I doubt it'll ever be normal but at least I'm hoping to not look like a shar pei someday.

Here's a comparison shot of me on 12/25/2010 with me tonight after work. Disregard the odd bulge in my side, that's my 3ds in my jacket pocket.
I still live in a state of near constant cognitive dissonance. Being morbidly obese since I was a young child I still think of myself as that person, and am extremely paranoid of going back. Even though I know it's a lifelong battle and it requires daily effort, I still live in mortal terror of gaining weight again and I know the odds are against me statistically. It's like a mix of constant vigilance, dread, and paranoia.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy I started all of this. In the past year particularly there's been a lot of physical changes, some good and some bad. A lot of people tell me I'm "too thin". At first it was the minority, but slowly it's become most people. I don't know what to tell them other than I'm still medically overweight and for once in my life I'd like to not be. Honestly, I don't know if I ever can be. I'm very active and very vigilant towards my intake and I can't get substantially below 170 for any real length of time. I've long thought that perhaps that last 20 pounds or so is just excess skin, but I don't really have any way to prove that either way.

Perhaps I've just got to accept being around 170 pounds. I can't say I'm not thankful, but it isn't exactly the goal I've dreamed of hitting. It's funny how those goal posts change, though. At first I dreamt of being below 300, then 250, the impossible dream of being below 200, then finally being able to do even a single push-up. They all came and went. Then I started increasing my activity level and working out and I dreamt of being able to do chin-ups, and I'm starting to be able to do a precious few. I've grown a real passion for nutrition and fitness, but it still hurts that I'll never be in the "normal" weight range, even though I know with the excess skin that there's a strong possibility that it's impossible. It bothers me every day.

As far as you come, it's never quite far enough. I don't know what the lesson is there, but I feel there has to be one.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
As far as you come, it's never quite far enough. I don't know what the lesson is there, but I feel there has to be one.
Don't beat yourself up bro. No one has to be perfect but you did a shitton of work and are in a better spot now.

I started monitoring my calories again and it's been a great week.

Onemic

Well, guys, the best thing about right now is that the holidays are essentially over so we can stop cooking up excuses to eat poorly. I know I made my fair share of justifications. I've managed to up my activity level, though, so I've been maintaining between 170-175 lbs.

The important thing is that we just acknowledge that we aren't going to give 100% every day and not give up because of a bad day, or week, or month. This ol' weight loss shit is a war of inches. Pounds are lost and gained by making many good or bad choices every day for a very long time. As long as you don't give up, and try to make more good decisions than bad every day, you will eventually see some progress whether it be inches lost or body composition changes.

At this point I'm probably not going to get much "smaller". I've gone from 350+, size 54 pants and a 3xl shirt to 170-175, size 32 pants, and a medium shirt. I've got a fair bit of loose skin and, while I've been maintaining this weight for about 6-7 months now, I've noticed a lot of composition changes. My loose skin is getting less "loose". I doubt it'll ever be normal but at least I'm hoping to not look like a shar pei someday.

Here's a comparison shot of me on 12/25/2010 with me tonight after work. Disregard the odd bulge in my side, that's my 3ds in my jacket pocket.
I still live in a state of near constant cognitive dissonance. Being morbidly obese since I was a young child I still think of myself as that person, and am extremely paranoid of going back. Even though I know it's a lifelong battle and it requires daily effort, I still live in mortal terror of gaining weight again and I know the odds are against me statistically. It's like a mix of constant vigilance, dread, and paranoia.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy I started all of this. In the past year particularly there's been a lot of physical changes, some good and some bad. A lot of people tell me I'm "too thin". At first it was the minority, but slowly it's become most people. I don't know what to tell them other than I'm still medically overweight and for once in my life I'd like to not be. Honestly, I don't know if I ever can be. I'm very active and very vigilant towards my intake and I can't get substantially below 170 for any real length of time. I've long thought that perhaps that last 20 pounds or so is just excess skin, but I don't really have any way to prove that either way.

Perhaps I've just got to accept being around 170 pounds. I can't say I'm not thankful, but it isn't exactly the goal I've dreamed of hitting. It's funny how those goal posts change, though. At first I dreamt of being below 300, then 250, the impossible dream of being below 200, then finally being able to do even a single push-up. They all came and went. Then I started increasing my activity level and working out and I dreamt of being able to do chin-ups, and I'm starting to be able to do a precious few. I've grown a real passion for nutrition and fitness, but it still hurts that I'll never be in the "normal" weight range, even though I know with the excess skin that there's a strong possibility that it's impossible. It bothers me every day.

What's your height and more importantly body fat percentage? That will truly tell you if you are still 'overweight' and I very much doubt you are above 20% bodyfat.

Horseticuffs

What's your height and more importantly body fat percentage? That will truly tell you if you are still 'overweight' and I very much doubt you are above 20% bodyfat.

Well, I just used a cloth tape-measure to run the home bodyfat percentage test over @
http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html

It told me "You have 18.8% body fat.

You have 32.5 Pounds of fat and 140.5 Pounds of lean (muscle, bone, body water)." Also, I'm 5 feet and 7 inches tall. It seems like there is a range of about +- 3 points of accuracy.

The chart @ http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html#accurate says that it's in the high-end for normal of caucasian males given the variance range they've listed. Thing is, though I'm no professional athlete or heavy weight lifter, I don't know how much the loose skin around my midsection may have altered the results.

When I took my waist measurement at my widest part, where I wear my belt, I got 37 inches whereas I usually use anywhere from a 32 or 34 in pants.

So I guess this presents as many questions as answers, though it's interesting to know!

Don't beat yourself up bro. No one has to be perfect but you did a shitton of work and are in a better spot now.

I started monitoring my calories again and it's been a great week.

I believe we're friends on MFP, and I saw you'd gotten back in the saddle! Good work, keep it up.

mkenyon

Banned
I think I put on ~15lbs over the holidays. Went up two belt loops. Dat food.

Started back up again last week, only to be hit with a nasty cold. Still fighting it off a tad, but I managed to get my ass outside and run M-Thu this week. Calorie intake back down to 1800-2300 daily. Quest Bars are helping curb my hunger too, those things are little hunger-fighting protein bombs.

n0n44m

Holidays are nasty. I gained two kg in just the week around Christmas... and I was in the best shape ever going into that week !

In addition to eating too much this was the first time I didn't exercise for more than 3 days since June. Did do some long hikes in the woods but obviously those don't come close to 45 minutes of intensive cardio (rowing).

The scariest part of it all was getting back in my pre-holiday routine of eating less on most days and exercising 5+ times a week.
First, I had the greatest difficulty for most of the first week of this year to control my cravings for "unhealthy" food.
Second, though I hadn't lost any strength or endurance it was really hard to start exercising again as I got nauseous very quickly.

I seem to be back on track now in terms of both diet and exercise (scale doesn't agree yet), but that was quite an eye-opener in terms of how a few days of too much food and lack of exercise can fuck with your body/mind ...

the food was damn great though ;)

Arksy

How often do you guys work out?

I've slipped and I want to get back on the train.

Current:

6'2" - 251 lbs

Goal:

6'2" (lol) - 200lbs

So I need to lose 50lbs.

How do I do it? Give me a plan guys. (Diet & Exercise!)

What doesn't seem to work with me? Paleo & Keto diets. Any kind of diet where I have to completely cut something out doesn't seem to work. I'm a hobby chef so I can't just cut out entire food groups like those guys do. Help!!

How often should I work out? How long should my workouts be? I've been to the gym three times since the first and each time I've done 30 minutes worth of bike or elliptical...I feel like that isn't enough!

mkenyon

Banned
the food was damn great though ;)
Yep. Worth it.
How often do you guys work out?

I've slipped and I want to get back on the train.

Current:

6'2" - 251 lbs

Goal:

6'2" (lol) - 200lbs

So I need to lose 50lbs.

What doesn't seem to work with me? Paleo & Keto diets. Any kind of diet where I have to completely cut something out doesn't seem to work. I'm a hobby chef so I can't just cut out entire food groups like those guys do. Help!!

How often should I work out? How long should my workouts be? I've been to the gym three times since the first and each time I've done 30 minutes worth of bike or elliptical...I feel like that isn't enough!
Watch this.

Saw it on Reddit yesterday, and it's almost exactly what I did to lose 100 lbs over the last two years.

Cutting calories is more important than working out. I'm a hobbyist in the kitchen as well, and the way I still enjoyed it is by simply reducing the amount of fun stuff I ate. Stop when I'm no longer hungry, rather than when I'm full/stuffed. Just keep the hunger at bay.

Arksy

Yep. Worth it.

Watch this.

Saw it on Reddit yesterday, and it's almost exactly what I did to lose 100 lbs over the last two years.

Cutting calories is more important than working out. I'm a hobbyist in the kitchen as well, and the way I still enjoyed it is by simply reducing the amount of fun stuff I ate. Stop when I'm no longer hungry, rather than when I'm full/stuffed. Just keep the hunger at bay.

So you linked me a video where a neuroscientist tells us that losing weight is no longer a valid public policy target because changing the bodies set point is basically impossible, so we should stop the next generation getting overweight in the first place?

Fantastic. Just what I needed to see. :p

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So you linked me a video where a neuroscientist tells us that losing weight is no longer a valid public policy target because changing the bodies set point is basically impossible, so we should stop the next generation getting overweight in the first place?

She may be right from a statistical perspective, but that says more about the methodology and common dogma that is spread around than any individual human's actual capability to lose weight and keep it off.

When just about everyone is going about it the wrong way, I don't think it's fair to declare it impossible when almost all of them end up failing.

mkenyon

Banned

Not losing weight. Dieting, in the sense of obsessing about food and what you are eating.

She's saying it's really hard to keep off, but it's certainly possible if you keep it up. Eat sensibly, listen to your body, and only eat until you are full (as in, no longer hungry). Look at the folks in this thread!

I originally started losing weight about 2.5 years ago, have kept off more than 75 for a year and a half, 100 for a year.

n0n44m

My personal experience definitely reflects that TED talk. One week of holiday feasting is all it takes for my body & mind to go all "FINALLY SOME CALORIES! MOAR PLS!".

It's not like I ate more on those days than I had on certain days during the past months, but the calories on those latter days were always offset by either exercise the same day or eating in greater moderation the next day or two. Just seven days of more eating with less exercise was enough to bring back bad habits for another week. Stupid primal instincts.

So clearly my current "eat less, exercise more" regimen is something I'll have to stick with for the rest of my life to have a lasting effect.

The "don't obsess about food, but eat in moderation" definitely works best for me for the eating part of my regimen. Keeping up the exercise is also easier once you get over a threshold; I'm now even starting to experience some sort of "runners high" after long sessions of rowing. (hmm endorphins)

So I need to lose 50lbs.

So as a wannabe hobby chef myself I just tell myself I can eat whatever I want in terms of contents. Instead I focus on keeping the amount I eat sensible, and I always try to offset a less healthy meal with either/or (a) smaller, healthier meals in the other parts of the day (b) smaller, healthier meals the next day(s) (c) intense cardio exercise. The small snacks I use when I feel somewhat hungry between meals are a few cashew nuts (no more!) or a banana. (Drink lots of water as well, I always have a bottle around)

I very much agree with the notion that eating is the most important part of weight loss, but exercise definitely helped me too. More importantly, exercise made keeping up my new eating regimen more doable and even enjoyable as it gave other benefits besides the weight loss (strength&endurance mainly).

I favor long (30~60 minutes) cardio sessions at a high intensity, as they will burn the most calories and build the greatest endurance, which is something most overweight people lack the most ! (example: last few years when we went hiking I was always struggling to keep up in the uphill sections, now after 6 months of rowing and losing weight I was basically leading our group)

So for that end I bought a rowing machine (Concept2), which you should find in pretty much any gym as well. Nice intense exercise using pretty much all major muscles, without any stress on joints so pretty much risk free in terms of injuries (!). Swimming will work just as well in terms of calories burned/hour. Other types of good exercise would be (indoor) cycling, ellipticals, those climbing machines and just plain old running :)

What is most important in my opinion is to find some sort of exercise (or a combination of exercises) you like and stick with it!

I don't really love exercise. Yet I try to do 30+ minute sessions five times a week. To make that enjoyable for myself, I always have either music on or some TV/Internet stream I can watch while exercising, I use some fans to keep the sweating reasonable and I use the tools available from Concept2 (tablet integration) to log all my efforts so I can document my progress. If you're at a gym, look into sweat-proof earphones. If you're running/cycling outdoors, like into smartphone apps like Strava. Just make sure you take away as many barriers to exercise as possible :)

Other important tips for starting intense cardio are to start in moderation; give yourself around a month of lower intensity exercise at the same duration to get used to the motions/techniques and build a base level of fitness. You can use a heart-rate monitor to keep yourself from exceeding 70% of your max heart rate during this period. Furthermore, eating is actually important ! Exercise at high intensity (heart rates) for long periods of time without having eaten anything will probably lead to binge eating afterwards as your body screams for fuel. So don't skip breakfast, or reduce the intensity level if you haven't eaten as much as needed. Also, depending on the exercise you might also increase your muscle mass as well, which causes you to actually gain weight on the scale initially so don't freak out.

TLDR summary would be (1) don't obsess about food (2) eat in moderation, stop when you've had enough (3) compensate for the worst meals (4) find out which exercise(s) you like and take away all barriers (5) exercise around 3 hours a week

Finally keep in mind it's a (life long) marathon, not a race. Losing 30 lbs took me 6 months, losing another 20 will probably take me another 6 months.
The confrontation of weighing myself daily (and keeping a spreadsheet) has been a good way for me to keep track of my goals and stick to my plans, just keep in mind there will be significant differences between consecutive days for all sorts of reasons !

Arksy

I'm starting my weights training regime today.

I'm doing 30 mins of cardio about 3-4 times a week but once I get into the habit I'm going to be bumping that up to an hour or so.

I'm trying to learn a second language so I've basically been taking study CDs with me to learn as I'm on the elliptical or bike.

Horseticuffs

I'm starting my weights training regime today.

I'm doing 30 mins of cardio about 3-4 times a week but once I get into the habit I'm going to be bumping that up to an hour or so.

I'm trying to learn a second language so I've basically been taking study CDs with me to learn as I'm on the elliptical or bike.

Awesome plan, I hope you have fun with it! I've found that, while it of course takes forever and tons of effort and education to get really "ripped", you do start finding pretty substantial differences after only a few months of strength training. It's been very encouraging.

On the other end of the spectrum I've been having a hard time lately. I guess on the plus side my metabolism has sped up because I haven't been gaining weight, but I know if I don't get my shit straight that will change. I've been hovering between 170-175 for like 8 months now and my issue is I don't sleep much so I get into situations where I've got like 600 calories in my allowance to last from like 10am until, well it's after midnight now!

I did alright until I got home from work and just fucked it all to hell. Now I've got to fast tomorrow. I find myself needing to do this more and more. I'll do fine and then, almost inexplicably I'll just go fucking nuts, and then I'll have to work out like mad and fast the next day to make it right. It isn't healthy.

Sure, a cheat day once in a blue moon can be even beneficial but I'm spending a few days a week like this and it's bullshit. I've lost nearly 200 pounds now through diligent diet and getting committed to fitness and I don't know WHY, NOW I'm starting to get weak-willed.

It's like "WTF, bro?". Very discouraging. I know that I'm the one making these awful choices, but sometimes I really do feel compelled. It's something I haven't felt in years and it's terrifying. I was looking at old pics on Facebook this evening and I don't want to live like that again :(

I keep thinking to myself that maybe I need to make the commitment to not eat until noon at the earliest, that way I won't "need" to gorge and ruin my calorie allowance at night because I'm hungry/bored/depressed.

Arksy

Whoever does it should compile a list of success stories from this thread and show all the befores/afters in a links section or something.

There's really nothing more motivating than seeing real people (people on forums posting their own stories) as opposed to seeing people in print media or plastered all over gym walls.

I gained 20 pounds over the holidays when I already needed to lose a lot of weight. I went up to 195lbs from 175. This on my short 5'6 or 5'7 frame. Almost two hundred pounds!

The good news is I think this was my tipping point. Over the past two weeks I have been eating clean and working out religiously. I've lost nine pounds and feel really good. I've tried losing weight before and failed but it feels different this time. It feels like I have some momentum this time. Wish me luck! My ultimate goal would be around 160-165 mid summer.

I gained 20 pounds over the holidays when I already needed to lose a lot of weight. I went up to 195lbs from 175. This on my short 5'6 or 5'7 frame. Almost two hundred pounds!

The good news is I think this was my tipping point. Over the past two weeks I have been eating clean and working out religiously. I've lost nine pounds and feel really good. I've tried losing weight before and failed but it feels different this time. It feels like I have some momentum this time. Wish me luck! My ultimate goal would be around 160-165 mid summer.

Hey, VicDaMoan03, head over to the new thread here. Grats on losing the weight!

i-Lo

Left: ~168lbs
Right: ~126lbs

Now:

So far: <113lbs

*Warning* It's not all sunshine however. A great price was paid for what you see. My physician has put me on a queue to visit a dietitian and a psychologist to make me gain back weight to at least 120lbs.

Hackbert

Left: ~168lbs
Right: ~126lbs

Now:

So far: <113lbs

*Warning* It's not all sunshine however. A great price was paid for what you see. My physician has put me on a queue to visit a dietitian and a psychologist to make me gain back weight to at least 120lbs.

congrats firsts, questions after : Why did you push yourself under 120 lbs? or did it just happen due to your routine? Great progress and yeah you look IMO best in the second picture. Also your nose has gotten wider XD

TCRS

Banned
^awsome, how did you do that?

I started working out about half a year ago. Recently, I started to feel like it was starting to show. I would look in the mirror while training and get impressed and feel good about myself. With that came confidence and the will to train more. I started to feel that my clothes were getting looser, my stretch-marks seemed to become less and less visible and my frame started to look smaller. My muscles are starting to look more pronounced, I'm upping the weights every week and making progress while my cardio is getting better and better.

And yet, I weigh exactly the same as when I started. I stopped caring about weight since I know that there's more to becoming thin than just weighing less. But then I decided to measure my waist, and realized it's the exact same size as it was 1.5 months back.

I really don't get how. I feel like I look smaller, I've had several people tell me I look smaller and I feel better, and yet I feel like a total failure.

I'm definitely not going to give up and I'm going to eat better, but I just can't shake off this feeling if I've failed or not. Some signs point towards progress especially the ones pertaining to the weights I can handle, but everything else feels like it could be an illusion that I'm just imagining.

Has anyone else been in the same situation? :(

I swear that's how I'm feeling right now. I've been lifting for about three months now and I can see the progress in the mirror, I look thinner, have bigger muscles etc.

But on the scale things are going the other way. When I initially started lifting it wasn't very intense and I lost about 5.5 kg. Ever since I've started lifting properly I'm gaining weight. Added 0.4 kg since last week. I know you don't lose weight as quick when you're lifting, but it's not supposed to go the other way! Now I'm starting to think that's I'm just imagining my thinner frame..

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I've been thinking of cutting ice cream from my diet, although I manage to limit my carb intake at around 100g even with the ice cream. And I'm lifting so I need carbs. I don't eat post workout carbs however, maybe that's what I'm doing wrong? Google is no help since there are thousands of different opinions.

In case you're wondering, my daily diet and exercise look like this:

- Breakfast: Tea (usually with sweetener, sometimes with ~8g of sugar) and two eggs
- Lunch: here is where I eat high carb since I want to lift afterwards. It usually consists of something with bread (sandwiches etc.), chicken nuggets, fish fingers and that sort of thing. no pasta, no rice. once a week I'll eat vegetables (not a big fan of those). after the main meal I'll have some ice cream.
- 2-3 hours after lunch I start my weight lifting. every two days I also do some HIIT by running on the spot. I don't yet have the confidence to do it outside.
- after workout I'll eat something like cucumber slices or if I have fruit, I'll eat fruit though nowadays I'm avoiding them because of the sugar.
- inbetween maybe a snack, something like seeds or nuts
- diner: sausages and then ice cream again.
- I also drink a lot of zero sugar fizzy drinks, I'm thinking of cutting back there. In my initial phase of losing weight (when I went from 108 to 84 kg) they helped me a lot with my cravings for sweets.

hm.. writing this down I think I'm realising that there's too much ice cream in my diet. so I'll cut that. but what else? anyone?

i-Lo

congrats firsts, questions after : Why did you push yourself under 120 lbs? or did it just happen due to your routine? Great progress and yeah you look IMO best in the second picture. Also your nose has gotten wider XD

^awsome, how did you do that?

I will answer both questions together with regards how I did it.

The first change (as portrayed in the first picture) came purely from cutting down on calories (progressively got more stringent to the point where the daily intake was less than 1000 Cal/day) when I was away for studies.

In December when I came back home, I started going on treadmill while increasing my calorie intake but not beyond 1500 Cal/day. In addition, I started standing more often than sitting.

When I came back for my new semester in January, I kept on eating the same food every day (because it's the limited life of a student who is too lazy to cook) to between 1300-1500/day Cal while going on treadmill (transitioned from walking at an incline to running @6.4-6.7mph for 12 minutes at least) and standing every moment (even while eating) I could (and moving around in general; I am like a shark in water). I did not realize that I had supercharged my metabolism and saw a little weight crash. In the last few weeks I have eaten between 1800 and 2300 Cal, stopped going on treadmill (doctor's orders) and still lost weight even though I had the opposite intention (did not sit all the time however).

Psychologically, you know things have gone wrong somewhere when eating a chocolate and sitting down make you feel guilty and like drowning respectively.

PS: The nose widens when I smile :p

Solidsoul

Banned
Alright GAF, I've been pretty inspired for months now.

I am 6 Foot 4 inches tall, and i weigh 205 pounds.

I've been that height for years and my weights always been around 185 and i had a little to lose at that weight. My current goal is to get down to 180. I've got a skinny build, not much muscle. I'm not looking to gain muscle, i just wanna slim down.

My average day i was probably eating 4,000 + Calories, on top of that i went on a business trip last summer for 3 months with unlimited food expenses. I ate ALOT of Texas Roadhouse.

I started a week ago with MyFitnessPal. It recommends me 2,100 calories a day and then i walk the treadmill for 1 hour a day which gives me 425 calories off. So 2,525 calories a day to eat. I've been going for a week straight with absolutely no slip ups. MFP says i should lose 1.5 pounds a week.

Do you think what i am doing is sufficient enough to get down to 180 over time? Thanks GAF!

rokkerkory

Also posted in FitGAf but I have lost 11lbs in 7 weeks, working out each day and eating right. Been consistently working out and have nutrition for 1.5 years now. Taking health seriously. Have gone through 2 cycles of cutting and 1 cycle of bulking.

2 years ago: ~162lbs waist size 31, was what you'd call skinny fat with 20% BF and barely any muscles.
164166_10150090618018758_3700180_n.jpg

Last week: ~150lbs waist size 29, ~9-10% BF
1535391_10152299595603758_7797054041178496230_n.jpg

1237860_10152299595443758_7786830447173064999_n.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta love how kory's starting point is where a lot of people would love to be even as an end game scenario. Nice progress, though!

^Cool!

Is Atkins diet ok?

Like all low-carb diets, it's efficient to a certain degree, but then it can flip back on you.

I did LCHF for about a year, and I was only efficiently losing weight for the first three months. The remainder of that year, I had too many binge-days to compensate for the boredom in eating almost nothing but protein and fat.

So you can try it for a couple of months, but the second you can't go two weeks without gorging on everything unhealthy you can think of, stop and just go on a more normal diet.

Arksy

It's a bit hardcore and poor in some macros. It was pretty revolutionary for it;s time, but now we have better ones like Primal (for long term) or ketogenic (for short term, but very fast weight loss)

Primal might be good but the arguments for primal are bullshit. Bread is bad, mm'kay. I just can't respect an argument which can be proven demonstrably false at such a massive scale. Bread has been consumed for hundreds of years without any contraindications found at all in mainstream medical literature.

Saying that ingesting large amounts of carbohydrates might be bad, but that's a different argument to 'lol grains'.

Wiktor

Primal might be good but the arguments for primal are bullshit. Bread is bad, mm'kay. I just can't respect an argument which can be proven demonstrably false at such a massive scale. Bread has been consumed for hundreds of years without any contraindications found at all in mainstream medical literature.

Saying that ingesting large amounts of carbohydrates might be bad, but that's a different argument to 'lol grains'.

For weight loss? Bread is factually bad. It's high on calories and has little actual nutrients. Eating similiar ammount of calories through meat or vegetables will give you a lot more valuable macros. Grains are pretty much useless calories. If you're just living your life then it's fine, but when loosing weight you need to limit the calories intake. When faces with much less calories to eat each day it only makes sense to ensure that the food you use them up on actually provides your body with more than just sugar.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
If you do grain on a weight loss plan it should be multigrain/whole wheat. Or brown rice.

Top Bottom