• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Just because you're not gaining weight it doesn't mean doing unhealthy things is no longer unhealthy, bro. :lol

Shinjitsu

Banned
Erasus said:
I was born skinny. 182cm 58kg

I can eat tons of sweets until my belly hurts (never doing that much though), get a little bit of fat on my stomach and its gone in a week. <33 my genes & fast metabolism :D

So fucking helpful.

Erasus said:

I can eat tons of sweets until my belly hurts (never doing that much though), get a little bit of fat on my stomach and its gone in a week. <33 my genes & fast metabolism :D

How old are you?

Zoe

Erasus said:

Wow, what an appropriate contribution to the weight loss thread.

Just because you're skinny though doesn't mean your healthy. I've heard of thin people with cholesterol problems.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Erasus said:

Does it make you feel better to come into a thread and pronounce that.

And as someone who used to have your problem, be careful. If you don't learn to eat well and excercize now once your metabolism goes to hell in 5-7 years you will get fat. It happened to me.

Erasus said:
Congratulations, you're skinny for exactly the same reason as everyone else who's skinny at 19: you're not an adult yet, so you can eat whatever you want and your growing body takes care of it. When you hit 25 and you can feel even a single pizza slice growing onto you when you wake up the next morning, you can stop eating shit with the rest of us.

Erasus said:

Hormones are a nice thing when you're a kid, enjoy it while it lasts. Also, skinny = healthy, so you're fine to keep eating trash :D

hsukardi

teh_pwn said:
Another thing to keep in mind is that if you just gained the weight, it's easy to reverse it. But if you're 30+ lbs overweight, you've had it for years, and you're having trouble losing it no matter what you do, you probably have a damaged metabolism. It could be caused by poor leptin/insulin sensitivity. Even after you correct the cause, it could take months for appetite/satiety to accurately reflect what you need.

But if all of those mechanisms are intact, you can drop the weight in a matter of weeks.

Yeah I'm 6'1 and was 165lbs in high school, 187lbs in university and the weight gradually creeped up after I started working and I weighed in 230lbs in June.. I wonder about the status of my bio mechanics. Low carb is taking an effect on me and I'm 210lbs after 4-5 weeks, but I still don't exercise at all. Looking to hit 176lbs by the end of the year though that's a little ambitious :D

I'm really grateful to this thread on GAF. Also thanks to teh_pwn for taking time to answer my questions.

NYR

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Congratulations, you're skinny for exactly the same reason as everyone else who's skinny at 19: you're not an adult yet, so you can eat whatever you want and your growing body takes care of it. When you hit 25 and you can feel even a single pizza slice growing onto you when you wake up the next morning, you can stop eating shit with the rest of us.
Well said!

Gilby

By eating nothing but junk there's also a possibility he'll never grow to his potential. Maybe if he ate more nutrients/vitamins/minerals/whatever he would be a couple inches taller/not go bald at 30/avoid senility/etc.

People shouldn't eat shit just because it doesn't show, just like smoking/drinking/whatever, they will never know what their true potential was.

LFG

Neophyte
i've been cooking alot more now that i'm eating healthy. it's kinda fun. i'll prepare meals for a couple a days ahead of time. one of my new favorite side dishes is squash and broccoli with a little parmesan cheese sprinkled on top. mmm good :D

for water, i'll drink plain water and sometimes use those powder mixes for some flavor. crystal light has one of my favorites, raspberry ice. avoid walmart's great value brand wild strawberry. too sweet. their carbonated water brand "clear american" seems to be too sweet as well. for my soda substitute i've been buying cans of "la croix" sparkling water. at first i didn't like it, but it grows on ya. it is sugar and sweetner free. basically seltzer water with a little natural flavor.

just wanted to put this out there. hope it helps someone.

Fucking heard. Dont buy into the early years of metabolism. Those are the best, now prepare for the worst.

Ive gotten major lovehandle-age which I completely ignored. Gotta work that shit off now :(.

Korey

Erasus said:
I know :3

Oh I know. I do NOT what to see the inside of my body, I´ll probably get diabetes/heart problems too I guess.
Revisit this thread 6 years from now. Lots of us were lucky and could eat anything we wanted and stay lean, but in your mid 20s your body metabolism starts to shut down and you're like what's that on my stomach? Oh...it's a gut.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Gilby said:
Maybe if he ate more nutrients/vitamins/minerals/whatever he would be a couple inches taller/not go bald at 30/avoid senility/etc.

lol

teh_pwn said:
Another thing to keep in mind is that if you just gained the weight, it's easy to reverse it. But if you're 30+ lbs overweight, you've had it for years, and you're having trouble losing it no matter what you do, you probably have a damaged metabolism. It could be caused by poor leptin/insulin sensitivity. Even after you correct the cause, it could take months for appetite/satiety to accurately reflect what you need.

But if all of those mechanisms are intact, you can drop the weight in a matter of weeks.

Hmm.. Well my lowest was 75kg about 2-3 years ago, and the weight slowly crept up. I do feel slightly cursed because I've been eating pretty much healthily for years now.

cress2000

teh_pwn said:
Yes if you're type 2 diabetic with insulin resistance as the cause. Insulin resistance means that lean tissue stops responding to insulin attempting to put blood glucose into them for fuel. So the body tries to compensate by increasing insulin production, and it lingers. Eventually insulin will convert excess blood glucose to fat and store it to body fat.

But what's most important is that insulin is the primary fat storage hormone. If insulin is high, it neutralizes most anabolic hormones that try to pull body fat to use as fuel. So in a type 2 diabetic with severe insulin resistance, your body has chronically high levels of insulin and there's very little time that you're burning body fat.

If that's your situation, you may want to seriously consider a ketogenic diet. At the very least eliminate fructose which induces insulin resistance on the liver itself, which adds a lot of fuel to the fire. You may also want to talk to a doctor about taking a insulin inhibiting drug.

But if you're a type 2 diabetic that is deficient in insulin, that's another story.

Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMzgo932JIw&feature=related

Okay, thanks for the info. I'm not entirely sure what caused my recent plateau and blood sugar wackiness--it happened after a night on a psychedelic drug AND having a pretty major splurge the day after (and being invited out for another splurge a few days afterward probably didn't help). It's since gone back to normal...typically between 115 and 130 two hours after breakfast and 95-110 the rest of the day after I walk a mile.

At any rate, my diet is pretty darn low-carb as it is, and I don't eat much containing fructose. It took some time for my body to adjust to it, but it's doing very well for me.

goldenpp72

Yeah I also have one of those crazy metabolisms from a young age, but it goes away, i'm 24 now :p

While I didn't get fat, I certainly noticed a change in physique and a required dietary change to stop it :(

Korey

goldenpp72 said:
Yeah I also have one of those crazy metabolisms from a young age, but it goes away, i'm 24 now :p

While I didn't get fat, I certainly noticed a change in physique and a required dietary change to stop it :(
I didn't get fat either but I recently discovered I could grab my stomach. Then I had an oh shit moment. So here we are.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Dabookerman said:
Hmm.. Well my lowest was 75kg about 2-3 years ago, and the weight slowly crept up. I do feel slightly cursed because I've been eating pretty much healthily for years now.

Well not all people that have had a lot of extra fat are going to have damaged metabolisms.

It all has to do with how the fat was gained in the first place, and it has to do with the various causes of obesity.

For example, two theories on the cause of obesity:
1. Fructose induced leptin resistance.
2. Direct (autoimmune) or indirect inflammation of the hypothalamus.

Have the implication that the liver/hypothalamus are damaged. The body needs time to repair under the right environment. What worries me the most is #2 autoimmune, because it can take several months to years for the immune system to leg go of antibodies against itself.

But all of this science is early, partially thanks to the government's nutrition religion demanding that all people are fat due to lack of willpower and that all studies investigating otherwise should not be funded. The best we can do is cut sugar/wheat, eat fermented food, exericse and sleep well.

If people have healthy metabolisms and the only thing causing them to retain fat is constant consumption of juice/soda, fixing their diet will result in rapid fat loss.

Jirotrom

talisayNon said:
I'm starting to lend a little more credence to the theory that links gut flora to obesity (teh_pwn's post on prebiotics) .

http://thehealthyskeptic.org/podcasts/THSpodcast_episode1.mp3

I've been working mushrooms/onions/garlic more into my diet and I'm finding myself less and less hungry. The fibers in almonds/other veggies get me hungry after a certain point...but something about the mushrooms/onions/garlic just stops the hunger trigger.

According to that podcast it's prebiotics, specifically inulin that lowers leptin resistance and satiates. Interesting stuff.

Probably going to try and find a way to work radicchio into my diet.
does this guy have a website with a list of good foods?

FLEABttn

Banned
It's been a month since my last post in the thread.

6/25/10: About 200.
7/26/10: About 189.

I'm down from XL shirts to L and from 36W pants to 34W. I bought a bunch a new clothes so I didn't look quite so ridiculous.

LFG

Neophyte
FLEABttn said:
It's been a month since my last post in the thread.

6/25/10: About 200.
7/26/10: About 189.

I'm down from XL shirts to L and from 36W pants to 34W. I bought a bunch a new clothes so I didn't look quite so ridiculous.

congrats! this is what i'm looking forward to the most, buying new clothes. care if i ask how tall you are?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
The fuck...

I'm out of ketosis all of the sudden?

I havent changed my diet for weeks, could it be that I've been drinking soo much water ( because of constipation ) maybe my pee is so diluted that the ketostix can't find any ketones because of said dilution?

edit : and by alot of water I really mean a lot of water

So I thought this would interest this thread. Dr. Lustig of "sugar: the bitter truth" fame, was on a low carb podcast. The interview is quite good. Lustig talks a bit about Taubes, about Fructose, and about why he's not necessarily "low carb". Personally, I think it's clear that Lustig simply doesn't want to be lumped in with atkins style dr's trying to sell books, so he does everything he can to distance himself from the term "low carb" but his research and what he preaches is 99% low carb. Good stuff.

http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes/2112/dr-robert-lustig-episode/

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Corky said:
The fuck...

I havent changed my diet for weeks, could it be that I've been drinking soo much water ( because of constipation ) maybe my pee is so diluted that the ketostix can't find any ketones because of said dilution?

Yeah. What you eat and how much water you have can affect what the Ketostix tell you.

Also, lost another 3lbs in one week. 8lbs lost in 3 weeks thanks to this low-carb lifestyle...
sogood.gif

teh_pwn

elrechazao said:
So I thought this would interest this thread. Dr. Lustig of "sugar: the bitter truth" fame, was on a low carb podcast. The interview is quite good. Lustig talks a bit about Taubes, about Fructose, and about why he's not necessarily "low carb". Personally, I think it's clear that Lustig simply doesn't want to be lumped in with atkins style dr's trying to sell books, so he does everything he can to distance himself from the term "low carb" but his research and what he preaches is 99% low carb. Good stuff.

http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes/2112/dr-robert-lustig-episode/

Yep, that was a good interview. Stephan Guyenet & Kurt Harris were interviewed too.

I recall Lustig not agreeing with low carb, but instead said something like:
-Low fructose
-Low Glycemic load
-Low Glycemic index

Or something like that as his idea to good dieting. Basically that's always low carb unless your 50 grams of carbs are sugar. In fairness, some people on Atkins are like that - they eat lots of protein bars with sugar/sugar alcohol; and some diets can have starches like the Japanese diet and meet those 3 categories. But to be fair to Dr Atkins, he supported vegetables as the carb source.

The fuck...

Water dilutes ketones. If you drink absurd amounts of water, you'll get a barely visible trace. But honestly, work on that bowel health first. Get some yogurt/probiotics, and green veggies.

teh_pwn said:
Water dilutes ketones. If you drink absurd amounts of water, you'll get a barely visible trace. But honestly, work on that bowel health first. Get some yogurt/probiotics, and green veggies.
I looked for some good yogurt the other day and was appalled at how many carbs even the non chocolate pie yoplait kind has. Any suggestions on something they might have at say, wal mart, kroger, giant eagle? I have no trader joe's whole foods style places here.

teh_pwn

elrechazao said:
I looked for some good yogurt the other day and was appalled at how many carbs even the non chocolate pie yoplait kind has. Any suggestions on something they might have at say, wal mart, kroger, giant eagle? I have no trader joe's whole foods style places here.

Probably something like Stonyfield Low fat Plain yogurt is the best you can do, which sucks because it tastes pretty bland.

Generally any whole milk pastured yogurt is best. Has a creamy/sweet taste too it even without the sugar. Austin has a local brand called "White Mountain" that's pretty good.

But if you're left with just yoplait, you're better off just taking pills. They should work just as good in theory, and if you look at reviews on amazon, 90+% of reviews are something like "I had diaherrea blasting all over the place for years, and within 2 days I shat normal for the first time ever". They must be working. You cannot placebo effect that.

teh_pwn said:
Probably something like Stonyfield Low fat Plain yogurt is the best you can do, which sucks because it tastes pretty bland.

Generally any whole milk pastured yogurt is best. Has a creamy/sweet taste too it even without the sugar. Austin has a local brand called "White Mountain" that's pretty good.

But if you're left with just yoplait, you're better off just taking pills. They should work just as good in theory, and if you look at reviews on amazon, 90+% of reviews are something like "I had diaherrea blasting all over the place for years, and within 2 days I shat normal for the first time ever". They must be working. You cannot placebo effect that.
What do I want to see on the ingredients label in terms of culture? Or do I have to see "probiotics" on the label?

teh_pwn

elrechazao said:
What do I want to see on the ingredients label in terms of culture? Or do I have to see "probiotics" on the label?

Bunch of latin is what you should see. Stuff like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bifidobacterium_animalis

A "probiotics" search in amazon should show most of them.

Personally I bought a few different brands that were rated well and decently priced at random. I remember a long time ago reading on consumerlabs (I think) that brands tested generally had what they said they had, but some had lots of inactive cultures. And different brands of a different collection of cultures, so it made sense to me to buy a few different ones both to diversify & lower risk. Oddly similar to my take on retirement investing with index funds.

elrechazao said:

I'd recommend making your own sauerkraut. It sounds daunting, but it's quite easy, inexpensive, and satisfying. Plus, it's always good to diversify your probiotic intake.

I use this recipe: http://www.wildfermentation.com/resources.php?page=sauerkraut

If you have an Ikea nearby, they sell great glass jars of all sizes that are perfect for fermentation.

For yogurt: All of the plain, natural yogurts I was finding for a long time were pretty lame in being high in sugar even for being plain. Like 15-20g sugar for a 4oz serving of plain yogurt is rediculous, it got on my nerves.

Right now I eat "The Greek Gods" traditional greek yogurt, 5g carbs (4g sugar) for 4oz is the best I've been able to find at a regular grocery store. It's plain but I find it tart enough to enjoy eating, add some almonds and you're golden. We don't really have anything like trader joe's or whole foods around here so you might be able to do better.

I found some stonyfield organic greek oikos yogurt. Of the hundreds of varieties at the grocery store, this was the only one with no added sugar. Ingredients were milk, and some other stuff, and 6 active cultures.

Even the other "organic" types ALL had added sugar (listed as "organic sugar" lol).

The one I got tastes a bit bland. Well, really really bland. But I'm only eating a few spoonfuls a day to get the bacteria going.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
a little mini-update

start : june 29th 200 pounds, waist 40"
today, half-way through diet : 175 lbs, waist 35"

august 29th 170-175 lbs, ~10-12% bf, come ooooon

Dorrin

I started a I guess you would call it a lifestyle change back at the first of the year. I'm 5'7'' and was weighing around 183-185. I'm down to 165 this morning, my wife has also started in with me two weeks ago. My immediate goal is 160 by the end of the year, max for healthy weight on the BMI charts and would be were I was when I was 22 and fresh out of college, I'm 33 now.

I really got started as a means to get off of cholestrol medicine, unfortunately its actually gone up 27 points in the past 3 months. I guess I can't get away from the bad family history.

I work out cardio for 45 minutes every other day and have for years but what is making the difference now is the portions of my food. When you hit 30 it just changes everything, I just simply do not need as much food as I was use to. I try to eat decent but I give myself one cheat day a week which consists of chips and a Mr. Goodcents ham and cheese sandwhich. If I have a good day of eating I color in the day on the calendar red, if bad I color it black. So I try to keep as many reds as I can.

I have one vice left, chocolate. I allow myself to eat some chocolate chips when I get home for work and sometimes after the kids go to bed. I go through a bag a week I'm sorry to say which is about 1400 calories. I know it would be a huge win to get rid of that but its damn hard.

FLEABttn

Banned
metamonk said:
congrats! this is what i'm looking forward to the most, buying new clothes. care if i ask how tall you are?

6'1". Lost 46 pounds so far since November, with the bulk of it being lost in the past 4 or 5 months.

teh_pwn

Dorrin said:
I started a I guess you would call it a lifestyle change back at the first of the year. I'm 5'7'' and was weighing around 183-185. I'm down to 165 this morning, my wife has also started in with me two weeks ago. My immediate goal is 160 by the end of the year, max for healthy weight on the BMI charts and would be were I was when I was 22 and fresh out of college, I'm 33 now.

I really got started as a means to get off of cholestrol medicine, unfortunately its actually gone up 27 points in the past 3 months. I guess I can't get away from the bad family history.

I work out cardio for 45 minutes every other day and have for years but what is making the difference now is the portions of my food. When you hit 30 it just changes everything, I just simply do not need as much food as I was use to. I try to eat decent but I give myself one cheat day a week which consists of chips and a Mr. Goodcents ham and cheese sandwhich. If I have a good day of eating I color in the day on the calendar red, if bad I color it black. So I try to keep as many reds as I can.

I have one vice left, chocolate. I allow myself to eat some chocolate chips when I get home for work and sometimes after the kids go to bed. I go through a bag a week I'm sorry to say which is about 1400 calories. I know it would be a huge win to get rid of that but its damn hard.

The cholesterol-heart hypothesis is total nonsense. Read these:

"Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8SSCNaaDcE
http://www.jpands.org/vol10no3/colpo.pdf
http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2010/7/21/statins-and-the-cholesterol-hypothesis-part-i.html
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/ajcn.2009.27725v1

In short, the cause of heart disease is first by injury. Something causes inflammation of the arteries. Then cholesterol tries to repair and it's carried by lipoproteins. When your LDL is small and dense, it has a tendency to oxidize and form scar tissue.

In short:
1. Reduce inflammation in your body.
-Cut out all sugar/fructose
-Cut out grains, especially those high in gluten.
-Eat yogurt or get some probiotics

2. Improve the quality of your dietary fats
-Cut out industrialized oils (seed oils, soy, corn, etc)
-Up good fats (pastured animal fats, fish oil, olive oil, coconut oil)

After all of that your cholesterol is still high, the question is "why does my body think it needs more repair supplies?" and not "how do I lower the serum levels of an essential material in my body?"

The one I got tastes a bit bland. Well, really really bland. But I'm only eating a few spoonfuls a day to get the bacteria going.

Yeah, the difference between good yogurt and the stuff in supermarkets is massive. Real full fat yogurt is very sweet/tart & creamy. The stuff you got tastes like skim milk with a bit of a bitter taste. The difference really is as big as walmart powdered Parmesan cheese and a block of imported Parmesan cheese aged 2 years, imported from Italy.

Alucard

Banned
I'll join in here. Starting in at a massive 267 pounds, which was my weight at around the end of June.

Here was me then...
38846_10150228308495408_679965407_13499327_2163717_n.jpg

I've lost about 5-7 pounds since this pic, and will post a progress report at the end of August. So far, so good, though. Just taking it slow, commuting to work daily, running around with a soccer ball for 30 minutes a day, and not eating late or going for that second helping. Here's hoping I can keep it up.

I was actually down around the 255 mark for a while, until I lost my job and sat on my ass sending off resumes for 2.5 months, at which time I gained back the weight I had lost, plus an extra 2 pounds. Here is a slightly more flattering pic at around 255. I'm 6'1/6'2 btw.

20844_10150193583745174_704735173_13070156_333521_n.jpg

If I can get to 230 before the end of the year, I'd be doing cartwheels.

I've been stuck at 77-78 kg for few weeks now. Trying to do low carb but most of the time I can't keep it under 20g(mostly due to food that's available here). Sometimes I even force myself to eat stuff I don't like :/ Usually around 50g, maybe bit more if I'm really hungry and pick a snack I shouldn't eat(or some dark chocolate, which tastes like shit and is still high in carbs -.-)
I only eat when I'm hungry though and hate overeating and my calorie intake is probably low but I feel full most of times and don't want to eat then.

Bread is my big enemy, most of stuff here is eaten with it and I'm having hard time eating meat without it or removing it completely. Sometimes(like today) I fail and eat some, tho most of battles against it I win I think :p (ate this http://recepti.bosnablog.com/files/2007/04/cevapi.jpg )

Dunno really, should I try reeeeeeeeeally hard and eat all the foods I don't like so I can go under 77 or what should I do hmm

As soon as cooler weather comes(september~) I'll start going back to gym and switching to keto diet from bb forums(when you have a day for eating more carbs, http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61) but until then I want to lose as much weight, or rather fat, as possible hmm

And yeah, I spent shitload of time reading stuff online, foods etc, this topic but I just fail at food stuff.

Well GAF, it's been almost 2 years since I peaked at 186 lbs. I have stabilized around 162-163 lbs. I run 4 times a week right now at least 2 miles. I am also working in a few sets of push ups and sit-ups.

I was at one point 157 lbs. I think i'd like to push back down to 155. I am 5'9". Does this seem about right?

The_Inquisitor said:
Well GAF, it's been almost 2 years since I peaked at 186 lbs. I have stabilized around 162-163 lbs. I run 4 times a week right now at least 2 miles. I am also working in a few sets of push ups and sit-ups.

I was at one point 157 lbs. I think i'd like to push back down to 155. I am 5'9". Does this seem about right?

155 lbs doesn't sound right for 5'9". I don't know what your goals are but I'm the same height and was relatively skinny at that weight.

If your goal was weight loss I'd say you've already made it.

Seth C

TheRagnCajun said:
155 lbs doesn't sound right for 5'9". I don't know what your goals are but I'm the same height and was relatively skinny at that weight.

If your goal was weight loss I'd say you've already made it.

I'm going to bet that you weren't skinny at 155. I'm 158 right now (and right at 6') and still not skinny. Not fat by any means, but I definitely still have plenty of fat left on my love handles and belly.

Seth C said:
I'm going to bet that you weren't skinny at 155. I'm 158 right now (and right at 6') and still not skinny. Not fat by any means, but I definitely still have plenty of fat left on my love handles and belly.

..and what do your arms and legs look like?

You probably have low muscle mass.

Top Bottom