• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weight Loss Before/After Thread! (with pics)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
1stStrike said:
Hmm, I drink simply orange though an not anything like minute maid and such. I thought that was supposed to have less garbage in it?

The problem with orange juice is the sugar. Specifically the fructose, as sugar is a bond between fructose-glucose. The problem is that fructose can only be metabolized by the liver, and the metabolism of fructose has negative side effects. The liver can handle some fructose over time without any problems, and the threshold of being overloaded seems to differ between people. But in general liquid sugar can overload the liver for many people. Over time the chronic effect is that the liver becomes resistant to insulin. Because the liver has to handle lots of glucose with insulin, the resistance to include causes a body wide increase in insulin. Studies have shown this causes a chain of events that causes leptin resistance. When you're leptin resistant, your body thinks it's starving. It will conserve energy and drive up hunger, making fat loss more difficult but still possible.

In short, sugar can break satiety mechanisms in the body and orange juice is no exception.

When you eat whole fruit, there is fiber to slow down the digestion of fructose. And the load of fructose is lower. Kind of like drinking 2 beers on an empty stomach versus 1 beer after eating a large meal. (The analogy goes even further than that because alcohol is fermented fructose and it have very similar metabolic paths in the liver.)

1stStrike

Banned
teh_pwn said:
The problem with orange juice is the sugar. Specifically the fructose, as sugar is a bond between fructose-glucose. The problem is that fructose can only be metabolized by the liver, and the metabolism of fructose has negative side effects. The liver can handle some fructose over time without any problems, and the threshold of being overloaded seems to differ between people. But in general liquid sugar can overload the liver for many people. Over time the chronic effect is that the liver becomes resistant to insulin. Because the liver has to handle lots of glucose with insulin, the resistance to include causes a body wide increase in insulin. Studies have shown this causes a chain of events that causes leptin resistance. When you're leptin resistant, your body thinks it's starving. It will conserve energy and drive up hunger, making fat loss more difficult but still possible.

In short, sugar can break satiety mechanisms in the body and orange juice is no exception.

When you eat whole fruit, there is fiber to slow down the digestion of fructose. And the load of fructose is lower. Kind of like drinking 2 beers on an empty stomach versus 1 beer after eating a large meal. (The analogy goes even further than that because alcohol is fermented fructose and it have very similar metabolic paths in the liver.)

Shit. I've been drinking a lot of orange juice over the years. Definitely wasn't aware of that. Should I cut it out of my diet entirely?

Also, how about milk? I've been drinking organic milk if that makes a difference.

nara

Banned
1stStrike said:
Shit. I've been drinking a lot of orange juice over the years. Definitely wasn't aware of that. Should I cut it out of my diet entirely?

Also, how about milk? I've been drinking organic milk if that makes a difference.

Well, milk has protein and calcium/vitamin D, which helps promote good muscle and bone development/maintenance.

teh_pwn

1stStrike said:

Here's an explanation of fructose in case you're interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM#t=56m30s

Milk is probably fine if you're not lactose intolerant. Great source of protein as a whole. Cow's milk does increase IGF-1 which can promote cancer cell growth when insulin is high. If you keep sugar in your diet normal/low (as in levels in human history up until about the 1960s), IGF-1 is fine.

I recently moved to NYC about 4 months ago and have subsequently lost a pretty large amount of weight. I didn't plan to (not that it's a bad thing) but I think the fact that I'm broke now combined with the dramatic increase in walking around the city has contributed heavily. I can't even tell you guys how much I lost because I don't have a scale but for reference I went from size 38 jeans to size 32 and from Large/X-Large to Medium shirts. Just the other day I bought a new pair of house/pajama pants and I had to get Small since my Large ones won't barely stay on. I'm assuming I lost about 25 - 30 pounds.

Problem is I don't know much about nutrition... I kind of just eat light because I can't afford to go out all the time anymore like when I lived in Florida. I started eating breakfast to, I've been switching back and forth between Special K cereal and Cheerios - usually with either a banana or a pear (though I heard somewhere pears aren't really that good for you). For lunch I usually eat fast food or slice of pizza since I'm out in the day, and for dinner I all too often eat a bowl of Ramen and some Beef Stew or a bowl of Pork dumplings I boil up. I drink very little soda and when I do it's coke zero, 90% of the time I drink hot tea with a splash of 2% milk and a Sweet'N Low. I drink beer but probably only the equivalent of one bottle per day and occasionally indulge in a slice of cake or cookie from a bakery.

Is this a dangerous path or is my eating pretty standard fare?

1stStrike

Banned
So, how am I doing so far? After my meager breakfast I had a chicken salad with low fat newman's own dressing (light) with a side of 100 calorie yogurt and for dinner i'm having organic chili and green beans.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I'm hoping to go from 257 to 215-210 in the next several months. I've been eating less and I started using EA Sports Active 2 last night. I was surprised that it kicked my ass. As soon as it warms up and the days get a little longer I'm going to start riding my bike to work again, that should help too. That 210-215 range is ideal for me. I won't ever be skinny, but my belly has gotten too big. Anyway, here are some reference pictures for where I'm starting at:
RpNnz.jpg

oJwjp.jpg

cryptic

teh_pwn said:
You may have some psychological conditions, but there's a good chance that your overeating isn't psychological. It's probably physiological. If simply telling yourself at a conscious level to undereat worked long term, most people wouldn't be overweight in the United States. People certainly try as the booming fitness industry and commercials this time of year tell us. They just can't sustain it for reasons similar that sexual abstinence isn't sustainable for most people. Lots of people instead get transient fat loss followed by rapid fat gain as soon as they return to their old ways. It's because they're body fat setpoint in the hypothalamus is high. That's what you should work on correcting.

It's also possible there are other causes of fat gain as funding for this sort of science is low because the government is so damn sure people overeat for the sake of overeating, despite all of aspects of obesity that reduce the quality of life and deter people from wanting to overeat.

Here are some recipes:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-recipes/

They aren't necessarily low carb. They're sort of a hybrid of paleo and low carb. Potatoes are probably fine though.

As far as missing some of the foods we grew up with, I agree with you on pizza. I'm going to try this in the next couple of days.

The Primal Blueprint Cookbook by Mark Sisson has some good stuff. I like the Transylvanian Stockpot, Bison chili, and 5 spice broccoli beef. Tons more I'll probably like but I just haven't tried them yet.

If you're one of those people that sees food in TV ads and gets cravings, I would recommend a DVR and netflix. There is actually some research showing some people get addicted to sugar and wheat in the reward pathways of the prefrontal cortex. As soon as they see the food, insulin starts releasing. These sorts of people will constantly think about leftovers in the fridge and eat it until it's gone. Only when it's gone will the cravings stop. So you may want to clear out your fridge when you've decided to do whatever diet you end up with.

Some resources:
Gary Taubes Web Seminar (refutes lack of calorie counting as causation, talks about insulin)
Sugar: The Bitter Truth (Talks about fructose induced leptin resistance, hypertension, fatty liver)

Lectins & Leptin resistance:
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2008/04/leptin-and-lectins.html
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2008/04/leptin-and-lectins-part-ii.html
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2008/04/leptin-and-lectins-part-iii.html

I think this science paper is what Stephan started with:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6823/5/10
Thanks for your help. I'm losing my mind , just put on the weight I lost yesterday after a post workout binge and now am off to workout again. Wish me luck. Gained 7 pounds in three days.

Seanspeed

Banned
Houston3000 said:
Problem is I don't know much about nutrition... I kind of just eat light because I can't afford to go out all the time anymore like when I lived in Florida. I started eating breakfast to, I've been switching back and forth between Special K cereal and Cheerios - usually with either a banana or a pear (though I heard somewhere pears aren't really that good for you). For lunch I usually eat fast food or slice of pizza since I'm out in the day, and for dinner I all too often eat a bowl of Ramen and some Beef Stew or a bowl of Pork dumplings I boil up. I drink very little soda and when I do it's coke zero, 90% of the time I drink hot tea with a splash of 2% milk and a Sweet'N Low. I drink beer but probably only the equivalent of one bottle per day and occasionally indulge in a slice of cake or cookie from a bakery.

Is this a dangerous path or is my eating pretty standard fare?
Its not horrible at all, but you could do better. The fast food and pizza for lunch isn't good everyday, and the ramen is pretty terrible. Really, you're losing weight because you're burning more calories than you're taking in, not because you're eating healthy. I mean, you can lose weight this way, but if you're in it for more than just the weight loss than you could definitely make some changes.

The main concern would be what happens if your financial situation becomes more secure, though? So long as you stay in the habit of eating 'lighter', you're fine, but you dont want to start pigging out just cuz you can.

1stStrike said:
So, how am I doing so far? After my meager breakfast I had a chicken salad with low fat newman's own dressing (light) with a side of 100 calorie yogurt and for dinner i'm having organic chili and green beans.
Better, but even with a more substantial breakfast, it doesn't sound like you're hitting more than 1200 calories, if even that if you're not eating big portions. Good foods to eat, though. Try adding another meal like one of those in somewhere during the day.

KJTB

Managed to lose a pound by going to TAO in LA, woot! :D

My weight is pretty much cemented around 157-160 now, I've been eating a bit less healthy over this last week and it doesn't seem to affect me that much. So basically my weight loss was 30-33 pounds.

It was really nice seeing some of my friends in LA who haven't seen me since summer (we're all on winter break now) and having them hardly recognize me. Really showed me that all the training that I forced myself to do was completely worth it.

Seanspeed said:
Its not horrible at all, but you could do better. The fast food and pizza for lunch isn't good everyday, and the ramen is pretty terrible. Really, you're losing weight because you're burning more calories than you're taking in, not because you're eating healthy. I mean, you can lose weight this way, but if you're in it for more than just the weight loss than you could definitely make some changes.

The main concern would be what happens if your financial situation becomes more secure, though? So long as you stay in the habit of eating 'lighter', you're fine, but you dont want to start pigging out just cuz you can.
Yeah, like I said the excessive walking combined with the low amount of food I eat is surely causing it. Plus today I had to shovel snow for an hour or so just to move my car. I know the Ramen isn't good but it's sooo cheap... a whole entire bowl is only 30 cents :lol . My appetite has been lowered though as well, even if I made more money I don't think I'd buy more just healthier (good full mixed soups / salads instead of ramen for example).

1stStrike

Banned
Seanspeed said:
Better, but even with a more substantial breakfast, it doesn't sound like you're hitting more than 1200 calories, if even that if you're not eating big portions. Good foods to eat, though. Try adding another meal like one of those in somewhere during the day.

I'm going shopping tomorrow, so I'll look for some breakfast stuff. Recommendations on stuff besides eggs? Also, what bread would you recommend? Multigrain? Wheat? Something else?

Also, should I be buying pasta and stuff or should I stick to like chicken/vegetables/fish?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Hey guys, what's the consensus on the 4-hour-body? I just bought this book and love it so much. I'm pretty pumped to start tomorrow.

agentxricky

Neo Member
Captain Pants said:
I'm hoping to go from 257 to 215-210 in the next several months. I've been eating less and I started using EA Sports Active 2 last night. I was surprised that it kicked my ass. As soon as it warms up and the days get a little longer I'm going to start riding my bike to work again, that should help too. That 210-215 range is ideal for me. I won't ever be skinny, but my belly has gotten too big. Anyway, here are some reference pictures for where I'm starting at:
RpNnz.jpg

oJwjp.jpg

You got this man. I lost about the same amount of weight in March to about July of 2010. You're going to look great at the end of it, just keep that in mind if your motivation wanes.

Fox1304

So ... As a thank you to this thread, which has helped me a lot to get the initial motivation to loose weight, I finally decided to take some time to show the results of my diet.

Warning, long post incomming with lot of picture :D

This was the starting point :

Weighted about 95kgs (210lbs).
Had no real physical problem, was a pretty sporty guy, and didn't feel bad in my body at all.

This was me before :

UdIrJ.jpg

And a full body shot :

l4SMg.jpg

Started a diet about 6 months ago, in full summer (found it way easier).
That's an split diet between full protein and protein with vegetables phases, with no fats.
It's called the Dukan Diet, and is having a looooot of success those days in France.

Basically, there's a list of authorized foods, and forbidden foods.
You can eat as much as you want, but only if it's in the go-list.

Furthermore, there are a few more requirements, such as 2 spoons of oat bran a day, the usual sports and water found in nearly all diets and a few others.

For the oat bran, I chose to do every breakfast with those.
Found and improved two recipes of pancakes and waffles.

The mentionned lovely breakfast savers :
ZWX8K.jpg

c5zTv.jpg

Eating this every morning was a true blessing for the moral.
And it made a lot of my family jealous since it was sooooo yummy :lol

During the diet, I found a lot of really interesting recipes, which allowed me to do a lot of normally forbidden dishes, such as milk bread or cookies, only replacing forbidden ingredients with allowed ones.

NWR9C.jpg

For the sports part, I chose to do a daily hour of house-biking. Easy to organize, and no waste of time since I could do something else during my biking (TV-shows, web browsing or else (<3 iPad on the bike )).
Coupled with a few running sessions, some basic weight lifting, it did very well.

Stick perfectly with the diet, thanks to my awesome girlfriend which has helped me a lot.
Can't recommend enough having someone to stick with you during the diet, since it helps a lot for keeping up the motivation and having time to cook specific dishes.

This was my progression :

HItKb.png

Lost about 1,5kg/week (3,3lbs/week) steadily.
Made a few exceptions, with a wedding or a birthday party, which had no results on the weight loss.

At the end, had lost 25kgs (55lbs).

And here's the result, taken during those holidays :

RXgfi.jpg

And a close-up to the half-of-my-old face :

M0Bzz.jpg

Still have to gain a bit more muscle and loose some "dead fat" to complete everything, but I'm feeling terrific, and it's a real joy to be able to go in a store, try nearly every clothes, and see that they all fit well :D

Kozak

Banned
wtf, you didn't just shed weight, you shed at least 10 years age! :lol

shit, that is truly amazing. Congratulations!

How old are you???

Helmholtz

Hey fitnessGAF, I'm starting to get back to using my treadmill again, running for around 30 minutes a day. I'm mainly just trying to be healthier, not really aiming for any major weight loss. I'm around 217 pounds and about 6'1".

Anyway, a few questions.
1. Is it better to run in the morning after I wake up, or later in the day? (or does it even matter?).
2. Should I run on an empty stomach, or should I eat prior to running?
3. Is it okay to run everyday, or should I take a few days off? Any recommendations?
Thanks!

teh_pwn

Helmholtz said:
Hey fitnessGAF, I'm starting to get back to using my treadmill again, running for around 30 minutes a day. I'm mainly just trying to be healthier, not really aiming for any major weight loss. I'm around 217 pounds and about 6'1".

Anyway, a few questions.
1. Is it better to run in the morning after I wake up, or later in the day? (or does it even matter?).
2. Should I run on an empty stomach, or should I eat prior to running?
3. Is it okay to run everyday, or should I take a few days off? Any recommendations?
Thanks!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=328670

You'll probably get several different answers, but I think most people will agree not to stuff your face before running.

1stStrike

Banned
Fox1304 said:
Started a diet about 6 months ago, in full summer (found it way easier).
That's an split diet between full protein and protein with vegetables phases, with no fats.
It's called the Dukan Diet, and is having a looooot of success those days in France.

Basically, there's a list of authorized foods, and forbidden foods.
You can eat as much as you want, but only if it's in the go-list.

Furthermore, there are a few more requirements, such as 2 spoons of oat bran a day, the usual sports and water found in nearly all diets and a few others.

For the oat bran, I chose to do every breakfast with those.
Found and improved two recipes of pancakes and waffles.

I looked into this and decided to give it a shot. My first day will be tomorrow. Any tips?

jts

...hate me...
Fox1304, that is absolutely spectacular. Kudos!

Do you have any recommended reading on that Dukan Diet?

Fox1304

For Dukan there's a french book (Dukan is french) that contains everything needed. It's titled " La méthode Dukan ". No idea if the method has crossed the frontaries of France though.

Now about the tips ... Try to cook! There is a lot of recipes and ingredients to play with, to keep the motivation running. And as I said, pancakes and waffles are blessed for breakfast since they contain the daily dose of necessary oat.

If you like meat ... You'll be in heaven. Essentially beef and white meat, but you can eat (nearly) as much as you want

I found this diet easy to follow if you stick to the rules and keep some variety in your meals.
The only drawback is that some of the replacing-ingredients may be hard to find, such as fat-less chocolate in powder form or oat bran.

If you need precisions, just ask, I'm expert now :D

I'll put my recipes for the breakfasts later ;)

Edit : forgot something essential ... Try to do sport on a daily basis, and stick with it. Half an hour is a minimum. It'll be very efficient with the protein aspect of the diet.

Fox1304

I forgot to tell that I absolutely didn't follow any of the pre-made menu that one may find about Dukan. Made my own menus picking in the allowed ingredients.
Also, the second phase is an alternated phase, which is often forgotten on web descriptions of this diet.

Basically, you choose a rythm in days ( from one to five, which is from easiest to hardest ), and every occuration you change between full protein ( like in the first phase ) and protein + allowed vegetables.

I went with 5 days, which is known as the hardest, and didn't find it really hard.

Rythm is really important and must be followed striclty, since its goal is to "surprise" the organism with each protein phase and induct a fat and weight loosing period.

Accordinlgy, you won't necessarly loose weight during the vegetable+proteins moments, that's normal and it mustn't discourage you ;)

Seanspeed

Banned
1stStrike said:
I'm going shopping tomorrow, so I'll look for some breakfast stuff. Recommendations on stuff besides eggs? Also, what bread would you recommend? Multigrain? Wheat? Something else?

Also, should I be buying pasta and stuff or should I stick to like chicken/vegetables/fish?
Breakfast is easy.

I have a few different tasty breakfasts:

1) Oatmeal. Quick as a bitch, and good for ya. Pick the no/lower sugar stuff and its guilt-free. Its pretty filling as well.

2) Bacon/eggs/toast. My favorite, but I need a few minutes to make it. Just a few, though. I take some turkey bacon(regular bacon is fine), cook it in the microwave while simultaneously cooking up a fried egg and having some toast(just one nice thick slice of multigrain) in the toaster. Eat it all seperate, or make an open-faced sandwich of it. Either way, its awesome.

3) Some whole grain cereal with almond milk. Also very quick. A little high in sugar for the most part, but its not 'bad', ya know? And I like cereal.

4) Scrambled eggs. I take 3 eggs, mix em up in a cup with a dash of salt and its done in like 2 minutes. A piece of toast(again, multigrain) goes well with it if you're in the mood.

5) Cottage cheese with fruits. Not much of an explanation needed. Buy some frozen blueberries and heat em up in the microwave and throw em on a bowl of cottage cheese. Or bananas. Or whatever. Shits good and easy.

Probably my favorite meal of the day, really. I eat light at night, so I'm always hungry in the morning and look forward to breakfast pretty much every day.

As far as the pasta goes, its fine every once in a while. Eat whole grain pasta, though. Use some lower sugar sauce, though. Spaghetti sauce is suprisingly high in carbs/sugar. Fish and vegetables is my go-to dinner. So easy, so good, and SO healthy. Eat that and chicken and stuff for the most part.

1stStrike

Banned
Thanks for the tips. I went and did my shopping tonight and will be starting tomorrow off with two oat bran pancakes and a greek non-fat yogurt.

I signed up for the program as well. Starting at 235 pounds, so I'll let you guys know how it goes over the weeks/months that I'm doing this.

Alucrid

Banned
Fox1304 said:
I'm 23.
And that's funny, some people told me that I looked younger, and others older. Wtf is going ooooon :lol

Shit dude. In the second picture you look like a middle aged guy, in the last you look 18. Awesome job.

Fox1304

1stStrike said:
Thanks for the tips. I went and did my shopping tonight and will be starting tomorrow off with two oat bran pancakes and a greek non-fat yogurt.

I signed up for the program as well. Starting at 235 pounds, so I'll let you guys know how it goes over the weeks/months that I'm doing this.

You'll see, the pancakes are very good :D
I usually make 4/5 pancakes with the daily doses of oat bran.
Don't hesitate to buy some liquid flavors (like Speculoos or Nuts), you can use them to vary the taste and some of them are delicious (Speculooooooos again).

You can even make some Nutella (don't know if this brand is known in the world, it's a hazelnut/chocolate flavored sweet spread) with some fat-less chocolate and an egg.

Alucrid said:
Shit dude. In the second picture you look like a middle aged guy, in the last you look 18. Awesome job.

I think the pictures help a lot :D
And ... Thanks !

People! Stop the presses!

Gary Taubes, of Good Calories Bad Calories fame has a new book.

good_calories_bad_calories.jpg

This book's is a must read for anyone interested in nutrition and the world of nutrition. It is an extensive and comprehensive look at nutrition, the science of nutrition and it's problems and the politics behind the funding of nutrition research. It's a great read and contains information many of us MUST know, especially about how we came to be as misinformed as we are now.

The problem is that this book is such an extensive piece, that only science oriented people like teh_pawn can handle it.

IT'S JUST TOO BIG

To address this issue, Taubes has launched a much more lighter book which goes on the same ground but with a reader conscious style. It's the Good Calories, Bad Calories for the layman. I haven't read it, but it's high on my priority list and I suggest anyone interested in knowing WHY they are fat and WHY many diets don't work, have a look at this book.

Taubes+why+we+get+fat.jpg

http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/11-01-05/

eSkeptic just did a review on that, finally addressing a fellow who has a good scientific head on his shoulders

BronzeWolf said:
People! Stop the presses!

Gary Taubes, of Good Calories Bad Calories fame has a new book.

I'm making my way through it at the moment. I'm really glad Taubes did this, as GCBC is quite intimidating for a novice reader

agentxricky

Neo Member
Skeptics Guide to the Universe kind of tore Good Calories, Bad Calories to shreds a little while ago, so I tend to take that book with a grain of salt.

agentxricky said:
Skeptics Guide to the Universe kind of tore Good Calories, Bad Calories to shreds a little while ago, so I tend to take that book with a grain of salt.

Someone mentioned this pages back. Wasn't the consensus that they didn't "rip it to shreds"?

The most important part of GCBC was his destruction of the lipid hypothesis of chronic disease. Taubes has a few major blindspots (leptin, linoleic acid, lectins in grains, quality v quantity of carbohydrate) but it was a supremely important book for the aforementioned reason if nothing else - and if most overweight people followed his basic outline and reduced carbs, they'll generally be successful.

teh_pwn

Pretty much agreed with Prince Dalton.

How did the Skeptics Guide to the Universe tear up GCBC? I mean specifically what did it do, and does it have references to back it up? Skepticism is the foundation of the scientific method, but it has to have evidence to support the skepticism.

agentxricky said:

Skeptics Guide to the universe never even mentioned "taubes" name. It was a cometary about the twinky diet.

I was excited to listen to the podcast and it actually came down to this:

- Dude loses weight on Twinkies
- Calories are calories is physics
- Some guy was trying to sell snake oil based on the whole "Doesn't matter how much you eat, but what you eat"
- They discussed how practical a heavily controlled diet could be for the masses
- Final comment about eating a lot

teh_pwn said:
Pretty much agreed with Prince Dalton.

How did the Skeptics Guide to the Universe tear up GCBC? I mean specifically what did it do, and does it have references to back it up? Skepticism is the foundation of the scientific method, but it has to have evidence to support the skepticism.

They actually didn't discuss Taubes at all. They mentioned that calorie in + calories out thing, but never actually discussed what the book talks about. It was merely a discussion about the Twinkie diet.

teh_pwn

BronzeWolf said:
They actually didn't discuss Taubes at all. They mentioned that calorie in + calories out thing, but never actually discussed what the book talks about. It was merely a discussion about the Twinkie diet.

Well then that's really not making a dent into GCBC. Taubes spent at least 50 pages going over dozens of clinical semi-starvation (caloric restriction) diets from the 1940s-2007. Nearly every subject long term gains the weight back. They indeed see significant transient fat loss, which is also what the twinkie diet guy saw. Stephan Guyenet went over the the Twinkie diet guy's health stats and he lost primarily muscle and was still obese at the end. Without a doubt that guy will either have to semi-starve for life or he will gain the weight back.

A real broken chain in Taubes's argument is the more recent potato diet. Dude lost primarily fat and lipid stats improved.

Taubes book has flaws, but if their idea of being a science based skeptic is what you're describing, they're idiots. There's got to be something else. They clearly didn't read the book because it painfully went over these caloric restriction trials.

Edit: Oh I get it now. They never discussed GCBC. Posters on GAF thought that their discussion of the Twinkie diet was a good refutation.

Back on the low carb band wagon 2 days ago.

Started in Sept 2010 at 93kg and got to about 87kg by start of November.

Hovered around 87kg for November but stopped strict low carb dieting but kept exercise up. In December I stopped exercise as well and are now back up to around 90kg after lots of drinking and eating during the christmas period.

Just been to the butcher and bought some steaks and sausages. Also ran a couple of time in the last couple of days and went for a swim today.

Its amazing that in the last two and a half days I feel so much better already. I have yet to hit real low carb dieting yet (probably around 80-100gm of carbs a day) but that is because I have been eating heaps of veggies to make the transition into the full low carb diet easier.

grumble

GCBC's greatest value was its discussion of the lipid hypothesis, for sure. His stuff afterwards was somewhat questionable, but the first part of the book was fantastic.

cryptic

I think my diet problems may have to do with sleep deprivation somewhat and a relapse into sugar addiction.. I find myself unable to sleep, craving sugar, binging, then being unable to sleep due to guilt. I'll then stay up all night or exercise immediately after. What type of diet should I be looking into? When I first started my diet, I ate nothing but shredded wheat, bananas, nuts, eggs, potatoes, and vegetables in addition to other fruits. Just recently I've limited myself to a low carb diet after having some brief relapses into sugary foods but that's only got me to where I am now. Any help or suggestions. I'm gaining back the weight I spent the whole summer working to burn off and I'm not getting any sleep. Plus I just had two intense bloody noses that lasted about thirty minutes each. Please help.

Akim

Banned
Door2Dawn said:
Just ate a big mac for dinner. I'm so weak :(

I wanted a burger today...so this is what I did.

Carl's JR. low carb burger (just a burger wrapped in lettuce)
no ketchup
no tomato
Then I added my own low carb, no sugar added ketchup.

3 net carbs, and not that bad for you really.

Top Bottom