• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

welcome to the carnival of stupid

HiResDes said:
Yes, if movies can be art why not games, now there are different levels of art...I'm sure we'd all agree that certain games are lower representations of art while some are high, the same way we'd compare a piece of crap like Disaster Movie versus something like American Beauty.

conker_live_and_reloaded.jpg

Fersis said:
My sarcasm meter is broken but i think you are being serious so:
I am.

Yeah, i learned by the wrong way to code, i never had any class or study about programming (Which is a big mistake,stay on school kids)
Learning it by the book and through study isn't all that better if you don't have practical experience, I'm speaking out of experience.

Hy_

I'd be disappointed if they made Metal Gear Solid 5. The story was wrapped up nicely as well as they could have. Lets not add another layer and water it down. Remaking/revisiting Big Boss' story would be neat.

Big-E

WTF! I go to bed after this thread is like 7 pages and it balloons to 45? WTF happened? As for the announcement, I do hope its a continuation of the AC!D games if it is a hand held game. I feel that the two AC!DS are far superior to Portable Ops.

Stillmatic

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I can think of a number of games with good art direction(Metal Black, SOTC, etc), good artwork and soundtrack(many many titles), hell I could even argue the idea that great game design could be something of an artform.

But as a whole I can't think of a single game that qualifies as art.

If the image on your screen that you're viewing while playing is comprised entirely of art, how is any game not art in one way or another?

Games are most definitely art.

After all, you're seeing a bunch of pictures/images made up of art assets pumped out at a certain framerate.

DrPirate

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
I can think of a number of games with good art direction(Metal Black, SOTC, etc), good artwork and soundtrack(many many titles), hell I could even argue the idea that great game design could be something of an artform.

But as a whole I can't think of a single game that qualifies as art.

This.

There are artistic elements in game given that they are created in the vision of a person/group.

But the game itself is not the art product. The assets/story/direction are artistic.

Edit: I just realized my point doesn't even making any fucking sense. Who the hell am I kidding. Games are art....But in some ways, it's the product of art.....

I don't know, I'm conflicted on this subject. I should have never answered.

Neiteio

You notice the ! flips? Flipping = 180.

Flipping twice = (180 + 180) = 360.

Plus, the power symbol in that shade of green is 360's brand equity.

The writing's on the wall. I say this as a PSWii owner. Sure I want to feel justified in my new PS3 purchase, but the more people who get to experience MGS, the merrier.

HiResDes

LiK said:
i like how this went from a PR teaser to power button chat to discussing if MGS is art. oh GAF...
sorry for opening my trap
Edit: Actually I'm not sorry as the discussion that was taking place before was just about the stupidest shit I've heard since I watched Idiocracy:

Pvt. Joe Bowers: What *are* these electrolytes? Do you even know?
Secretary of State: They're... what they use to make Brawndo!
Pvt. Joe Bowers: But *why* do they use them to make Brawndo?
Secretary of Defense: [raises hand after a pause] Because Brawndo's got electrolytes.

Just replace Brawndo with power button, and electrolytes with green

Neiteio said:

The writing's on the wall. I say this as a PSWii owner. Sure I want to feel justified in my purchase, but if more people get to experience MGS, that's great.

Your comment is 20+ pages too late :lol

Hy_

Neiteio said:

The writing's on the wall. I say this as a PSWii owner. Sure I want to feel justified in my purchase, but if more people get to experience MGS, that's great.

That's a new one I think!

dacuk

Neiteio said:

Yup.
I do not remember the Internet going down in flames when MGS: Twin Snakes and MG: Ghost Babel were released.

This franchise deserves to be played by all gamers, no matter the device.

Neiteio

Also, the 't' in MGST is simply "teaser." Don't overthink what the webmaster jotted down to quickly identify the teaser pic's file.

Garcia

DrPirate said:
This.

There are artistic elements in game given that they are created in the vision of a person/group.

But the game itself is not the art product. The assets/story/direction are artistic.

Edit: I just realized my point doesn't even making any fucking sense. Who the hell am I kidding. Games are art....But in some ways, it's the product of art.....

I don't know, I'm conflicted on this subject. I should have never answered.

Dude. Gigantic plastic turds are considered contemporary art.

Do you think it's that big of a sin to consider a beautiful game a work of art?

If so, you're giving it way too much thought.

If you're deeply affected in any kind of way, then you are in front of a piece of art, regardless it's origin.

Yes, it's THAT simple.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I've seen some stuff revered as "art" that is downright pathetic--my kid brother could draw better than that. If any game can be considered an art form, it's MGS. Not only that, but comparing it to a single art form is stupid b/c here you have the Total Package of drawings (models, backgrounds, etc.) + animation + storytelling + dramatic tone etc.

Can't believe people are still debating this, especially with reference to MGS. Not every video game is Carnival Games over Banjo & Kazooie, folks.

So uh... If that is the Xbox symbol (glows green when you mouse over it at least)

All that means is that the next Metal Gear game will be multiplatform?

Would that seriously be a surprise to anyone at all? Metal Gear is not specifically a Sony product, it's already moved from MSX2 to NES to Gameboy to Playstation 1, 2, and 3, was on Gamecube, PC, and Xbox. Metal Gear Solid 3 and the PSP iterations were the only exclusive 'Playstation' games - there's no telling if MGS4 is going to be a full out Playstation 3 exclusive, just like Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2 it could easily go multiplatform after a few months. NOT SURPRISING.

Also, it says specifically "The Next Metal Gear" not "Metal Gear Solid 4" or even "The next Metal Gear Solid". There is little to suggest this has anything to do with Metal Gear Solid 4 specifically, especially in regards to a rerelease.

Evlar

Banned
Thread was powering along just fine and then we had to wander into the "games as art" wilderness. You disappoint me.

Rorschach

Sweet. Now Xbots can stop hating on it. Same thing happened when HL2 came out on 360. People stopped hating on it after playing it. Do eet!

Plus, the Sonybot (PSyborg?) meltdown is the cherry on top.

...or maybe the next MGS is in a nuked Mexico!

fin

Neiteio said:

The writing's on the wall. I say this as a PSWii owner. Sure I want to feel justified in my new PS3 purchase, but the more people who get to experience MGS, the merrier.

We have a WINNER!!!!

HiResDes

Houston3000 said:
So uh... If that is the Xbox symbol (glows green when you mouse over it at least)

All that means is that the next Metal Gear game will be multiplatform?

Would that seriously be a surprise to anyone at all? Metal Gear is not specifically a Sony product, it's already moved from MSX2 to NES to Gameboy to Playstation 1, 2, and 3, was on Gamecube, PC, and Xbox. Metal Gear Solid 3 and the PSP iterations were the only exclusive 'Playstation' games - there's no telling if MGS4 is going to be a full out Playstation 3 exclusive, just like Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2 it could easily go multiplatform after a few months. NOT SURPRISING.

Also, it says specifically "The Next Metal Gear" not "Metal Gear Solid 4" or even "The next Metal Gear Solid". There is little to suggest this has anything to do with Metal Gear Solid 4 specifically, especially in regards to a rerelease.
Well it says A Metal Gear, which signifies that may or may not even be Metal Gear Solid, being that "a" is a non-definitive article ...The wording is definitely part of puzzle, for those of you that want to continue playing Sherlock Holmes, no excuse me Phoenix Wright.

Anyway the major thing I consider is that the problem with videogames as an art is that your major involvement in a game is typically with playing the game itself. Whether you're punching people or shooting them you're not focused on the artistic elements. Thus unlike a painting where you can look at it and achieve the focus or a book you can simply read the game requires you to do things that won't leave you with an appreciation of the artwork held within.

Sure one could argue that you could simply watch a playthrough of the game but most of the time when people make a playthrough they do it show how a game is played exceptionally well. And by playing a game exceptionally well you tend to ignore all of the artistic elements that the game tries to show. And even if you were to watch videos of a game you're still only seeing a piece of the actual work. It's the equivalent of hearing a movie off of a CD or a friend telling you all about a book he or she read.

Thing is what makes a videogame whole is precisely what keeps it from being art. Taking the elements apart can make all the difference.

But this is all just IMO. Results will vary, YMMV, see store for details, etc.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
AstroLad said:
I've seen some stuff revered as "art" that is downright pathetic--my kid brother could draw better than that. If any game can be considered an art form, it's MGS. Not only that, but comparing it to a single art form is stupid b/c here you have the Total Package of drawings (models, backgrounds, etc.) + animation + storytelling + dramatic tone etc.

Plus music! Don't forget the awesome music.

AstroLad said:
Can't believe people are still debating this, especially with reference to MGS. Not every video game is Carnival Games over Banjo & Kazooie, folks.

Oh I would argue even things like Carnival Games are art.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Anyway the major thing I consider is that the problem with videogames as an art is that your major involvement in a game is typically with playing the game itself. Whether you're punching people or shooting them you're not focused on the artistic elements. Thus unlike a painting where you can look at it and achieve the focus or a book you can simply read the game requires you to do things that won't leave you with an appreciation of the artwork held within.

I dunno, I actually take time to admire the models, textures and music in games. It's taken me forever to beat Gears of War 2 because I spend so much time just looking around at the environments.

Kauza

This shit is so obvious. The inverted exclamation points imply that what's up is down, and what's down is up. The only logical conclusion from this is weightlessness.

Metal Gear Solid in Space

Baryn

Banned
I just want to say. Games are art.

If they aren't, what the fuck are you doing at NeoGAF? Spend your time on something more meaningful. You waste of sperm.

Ashhong

no mention of Solid at all though. so maybe a spinoff or metal gear online?

btw, wtf is wrong with people. of course games are art. art has a very loose definition.

art 1 |ärt|
noun
1 the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power

now move on

Goldrusher said:
No matter how you position the Xbox, the ring looks the same. Unless ofcourse you tilt your head.
But keep trolling. Great avatar too.

like an hour later....

What you point out is interesting though. The 360 knows which way is upright? If I turn a 360 upside down and make it RRoD, will the upper left ring be off?

Nothing better to do in this thread btw. If you haven't noticed, this thread has gone about 22 pages of weird interpretations of PR. The Nintendo On was lol tho.

Top Bottom