• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

welcome to the carnival of stupid

duk

Banned
lollercaust said:
f_jack2m_ca216d3.gif

:lol

thread of the week for sure

Shaheed79 said:
Some of you are way too old for getting giddy and being hurt over lost exclusives. It's actually pretty sad to watch since a lot of you are in your late 20's to early 30's. Some of you even work in the industry with hard nipples over this and not because you finally get to play MGS4 but rather for bragging rights.

If growing up means I have to stop caring about inconsequential shit, then sir, I do not want to grow up.

Angst

Hellcrow said:
"Har gått bananas" = "Has gone bananas"

Don't americans use the word "bananas" for going crazy and out of control? They should.

Surprisingly norwegian isn't exactly an international language. Sadly. :D

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Hellcrow said:
Norwegian newspapers usually write in norwegian.

Pronouncing har gått?....

Har sounds abit like "are" with an h infront. Not hare as in hair, but are with an h infront.
Gått is hard to describe, as english doesn't really have anything that sounds like it, but the ått part sounds abit like "lot" pronounced fast. Change the l with a g. Damnit, this is hard.

I honestly didn't know "Norwegian" was a language, I thought they spoke Dutch, I dunno why. American ignorance I suppose.

So it sounds like it looks, "hahr gaht." Thanks. I kinda wonder what the difference is between A and å but I understand if it's hard to explain. =)

[edit] BTW Americans do say that something is "bananas" when they mean it's crazy. I'm surprised Norwegian uses the word "bananas" that way as well, spelled the same way as in Spanish and English!

David H Wong said:
If growing up means I have to stop caring about inconsequential shit, then sir, I do not want to grow up.

Besides Shaheed who are you to talk? You're thinking about sweaty guys with bad hair and tight nintendo shirts getting hard nipples.

Gross..

I don't know how pedantic marketing departments are but if this is meant to be promotion for Microsoft wouldn't they ask for the green colour to be the one associated with the 360 which is a lot lighter? and if it's apple or nintendo they'd use the correct lettering?

I don't know maybe Kojima just knocked this up in macromedia and stuck it up there, but if it has an association with any other company I'd have thought they'd have to speak to them and have got the colours/typefont correct.

Angst

Danthrax said:
I honestly didn't know "Norwegian" was a language, I thought they spoke Dutch, I dunno why. American ignorance I suppose.

So it sounds like it looks, "hahr gaht." Thanks. I kinda wonder what the difference is between A and å but I understand if it's hard to explain. =)

Thankfully you put the "American ignorance" in there yourself... lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Kojima SAYS his games are not art. They're entertaining animes that can draw people's attention to subjects Kojima feels are socially or politically important but should not wholly inform a person's perspective on those subjects.

The only time I see this debate so heated is when somebody goes, "game is crap, movie sux," and the other side replies with, "how dare you comment on kojima-sama's artistic triumphs." who cares. art or not, his games are incredibly successful and entertaining. And if you don't think so, you're probably in the thread "for the lulz" anyway, so bugger off.

Hellcrow

Atleast this thread has done one positive thing. Enlightening many Gaffers that the power button symbol is universally applied to many different electronic devices and not exclusive to the 360.

Hellcrow said:
Atleast this thread has done one positive thing. Enlightening many Gaffers that the power button symbol is universally applied to many different electronic devices and not exclusive to the 360.

but it's GREEEEEEN

travisbickle said:
I don't know how pedantic marketing departments are but if this is meant to be promotion for Microsoft wouldn't they ask for the green colour to be the one associated with the 360 which is a lot lighter? and if it's apple or nintendo they'd use the correct lettering?

I don't know maybe Kojima just knocked this up in macromedia and stuck it up there, but if it has an association with any other company I'd have thought they'd have to speak to them and have got the colours/typefont correct.

Konami could have also simply put out a PR release or made some other kind of announcement that explained everything clear as day.

But that'd be too easy wouldn't it?

My6cats

Banned
If a METAL GEAR game come to the 360 what is the big deal. METAL GEAR 4 is already on the PS3. if the 360 gets a new METAL GEAR or a remake of METAL GEAR 4 that all good. more people can play it. as a PS3 - 360 onwer I was not upset about BioShock coming to the PS3. If a METAL GEAR game comes to the 360 i would happy. the only people that would be upset are fanboys are system war people.

Hellcrow

Danthrax said:

[edit] BTW Americans do say that something is "bananas" when they mean it's crazy. I'm surprised Norwegian uses the word "bananas" that way as well, spelled the same way as in Spanish and English!

Wikipedia to the rescue!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Å

Even shows a picture of how my keyboard looks like.
Also, scandinavian countries say "banan", not "banana." I believe "bananas" is a spanish or english word we've adopted.

I would be partial to a Portable Ops remake as well.

Tried the PSP version but I got sick of slowly hauling people to my truck and finding a camera angle to actually see what's going on.

dfyb

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Makes sense but uh...
MGS is art?
absolutely -- games are an aggregate art form with aspects of scultpure, film, and more all rolled into one. you can call it interactive art. and MGS4 isn't alone.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Hellcrow said:
Wikipedia to the rescue!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Å

Even shows a picture of how my keyboard looks like.
Also, scandinavian countries say "banan", not "banana." I believe "bananas" is a spanish or english word we've adopted.

Yeah I think it's Spanish in origin and the rest of our languages have stole it from there.

Alts

Danthrax said:
Yeah I think it's Spanish in origin and the rest of our languages have stole it from there.

Courtesy of Dictionary.com:

banana
1597, borrowed by Sp. or Port. from a W. African word, possibly Wolof banana.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Alts said:
Courtesy of Dictionary.com:

banana
1597, borrowed by Sp. or Port. from a W. African word, possibly Wolof banana.

Wow, so it's actually a West African word. This thread has proven its worth.

Threi

notag
Yes Boss! said:
I'm not going to comb the thread but this was the first thing that game to my mind:

IMG_0037.jpg
so with a teaser with green exclamation marks, green I's and a green power button, the first thing that came to your mind was a shut-off dialog against an orange background?

Loudninja

Threi said:
so with a teaser with green exclamation marks, green I's and a green power button, the first thing that came to your mind was a shut-off dialog against an orange background?

You don't even know if it is a power button :lol

szherk.png

"NeoGAF, twenty pages ago. We had classified intelligence that a new type of Metal Gear was scheduled for release. The whole thing stank, but our noses had been out in the cold too long."

Top Bottom