• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome to Toronto: Thread of TTC Fare Hikes and Blunders

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It's going to be crazy around Toronto for the next couple of months when it comes to the TTC. Let's bitch and complain about it in this thread.

npp385.jpg

Who: Toronto Transit Commission
What: A fare hike on all tokens, cash fares and metro passes, the first since 2006.
Where: Toronto.
When: Fares will be approved on November 17th, and effective January 3rd, 2010.

Why: The TTC is short on revenue. They claim the Metropass is a huge thorn in their side, as more and more riders choose to buy it than use tokens/cash fare. Lack of money from federal government for a larger transit system is another cry (although they receive plenty from the city). And of course, they must cover the cost of their new 2020 project (street car expansions), and the new streetcars themselves.

REALLY, Why: Because the TTC refuses to move forward with anything sensible. Automated trains? I think not! Electronic payment with the requirement of having an $125,000 per year ticket booth collector on hand? The union laughs at such notions!

They would rather spend millions on new projects they can't afford, the claim life is so tough, they simply must raise the fares. Don't worry though, this won't stop transit workers from striking in the next year, or two. Three weeks worth of sick days per year (thanks to the 'high stress' of their job), simply won't do.

The (Proposed) Hike
30m1gkp.jpg

Other complaints: Wow. They did the impossible. They screwed up the 501 Queen Streetcar even more. Now on weekdays coming home, I have to wait upwards of half an hour (not unusual before), but now when a streetcar does come.. it's always a short-turn. Bathurst, Shaw, Roncesvalles; it can take forever to find a Humber. God help whoever has to go beyond Humber.

Their 'experiment' to increase flow is miserable. Cars are still backed up, three to four at a time. One really full one, and a few empty ones. Genius. They better vote against this, because it's improving nothing. Even the flow of traffic 'downtown', between Broadview and Shaw is not improved. And most people commute in from further out than that.

Streetcars are neat, and people love them, but they require right-of-way (ala, Spadina), or they're slowed by traffic.. and slow traffic themselves.

References:

1,150 TTC Employees make over $100k per year, and 400 more by overtime: http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...-ttc-ticket-collectors-earning-over-100k.aspx

TTC Limiting Tokens, Avoiding Hoarding: http://www.blogto.com/city/2009/11/ttc_token_hoarding_prompts_strict_anti-hoarding_measures/

TTC $100,000,000 over budget, Fare Hike, Ahoy: http://www.blogto.com/city/2009/11/ttc_may_raise_fares_in_early_2010/

Median

Wow, an adult Metropass is creeping up on my monthly GO student pass. I'm paying $166 to come in from Brampton now. Thank God I'm not working or going to school uptown, this is getting a little ridiculous.

Blackface

Banned
I took the TTC for 10 years every day. rain, snow, shine whatever. Subways, streetcars, buses you name it. Though I think the system is good, and expanding, they do some shady shady shit. I was going to type it all out, but I can't be bothered.

Whats even worse is that the city is becoming so over-populated, that even if you have a car it's simply not feasible to use it if you work downtown.

Firestorm

1,150 TTC Employees make over $100k per year, and 400 more by overtime:
wat

Also, I'm guessing TTC doesn't have a partnership with the schools in the area? Translink in BC had a deal with UBC and SFU before. Now includes UBC, SFU, Langara College, and some other schools which gives us a U-Pass for about $110 a semester. Every student in the schools is required to get one as part of student fees. Unlimited travel on transit (Bus, Skytrain, Seabus) across all three zones that Metro Vancouver is split into.

Otherwise it would cost me $10 a day to commute!

Canova

Banned
FUCK YOU TTC!!!!

I swear if I ever meet Adam Giambirone and the union boss personally , I'd break their faces!!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Firestorm said:
wat

Also, I'm guessing TTC doesn't have a partnership with the schools in the area? Translink in BC had a deal with UBC and SFU before. Now includes UBC, SFU, Langara College, and some other schools which gives us a U-Pass for about $110 a semester. Every student in the schools is required to get one as part of student fees. Unlimited travel on transit (Bus, Skytrain, Seabus) across all three zones that Metro Vancouver is split into.

Otherwise it would cost me $10 a day to commute!

They do have an agreement - it's been years, but University students get to buy metropasses at the "Student" rate instead of the "Adult" rate.

Still, huge hike on the passes. Geez.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

cbox

Honestly, fuck the TTC. They're too comfortable with their jobs, so nothing will change. Plus Adam is such a prick.

What pisses me off even more, is that the rest of the regions in ontario hike their prices to match the TTC. I mean it costs 2.75 to get on Brampton transit... and they have 2 buses every 3 hours where I live. What the fuck is up with that?

St. Clair is a mess. The dedicated street car line was supposed to be done months ago and it's nowhere close. Not to mention something like a few hundred thousand over budget. It's hilarious passing by keele st and seeing a sign stating that section is to be done by last September and they only just started there.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
canova said:
holy shit that show looks stupid, why even bother?

It's suppose to allow the public the chance to ask questions, voice concerns. But it's more about the TTC wanting to stem public concern about yearly rate hikes, and why service sucks. The fact that they have the balls to actually film in on a street car (that won't let people on), down busy Queen St is a good laugh.

Firestorm

firehawk12 said:
They do have an agreement - it's been years, but University students get to buy metropasses at the "Student" rate instead of the "Adult" rate.

Still, huge hike on the passes. Geez.
Is that the fee for one month though? That's huge ._. I pay your weekly student rate per month. We have students who take courses, wait until they get their pass, then drop them just to get the pass during semesters they're not in school =P This is with the $50 fee for dropping a course that late.

Canova

Banned
I wonder what Londoners (UK) or New Yorkers pay for their subway system, at least they got 10X the size of the transit network

Barrage

Speaking from Ottawa, that looks like a bargain to me. Especially since you HAVE a student rate (and didn't have to sit through a miserable winter with no transit to get it).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
canova said:
I wonder what Londoners (UK) or New Yorkers pay for their subway system, at least they got 10X the size of the transit network

TTC loves to tout its service. Yeah, it's expansive, but it's broken. When I have to wait 40 minutes for an Ossington bus, only to have 4 of them come in a row, or twenty minutes for a street car.. only to see they're all short turning very soon.. that's not good service.

People have to stop with the NIMBY attitude though, especially downtown. Streetcars having a right of away, ala Spadina, on King is a start. Queen is just too crowded for it all, really.

You'd think they'd want to fix their current issues, rather than start on this; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MoveOntario_2020

As a poster said previously, St Clair has been a mess for years. I can't wait for 30 years of consistent construction on new projects, while old routes continue to degrade.

datruth29

canova said:
For New York, I know a single ride is $2.25. A monthly I think is like, $90, give or take a few cents. I will say that looking at the prices the TTC is charging you guys gives me a whole new appreciation for our own overpriced transit system :lol :lol :lol

Azih

the TTC is funded 70% by fares and 30% by taxes, the rate for NYC is like 50%-50%.

The TTC froze rates for 2009 is hiking them in 2010
Mississauga transit hiked in 2009 and is freezing for 2010.

Mississauga and Ottawa are just as expensive if not more so for smaller and less frequent services.

This is bad news but it's not unexpected and this problem is not Toronto specific. Edit: It just causes mass hysteria in the city.

Blackface

Banned
EvilMario said:
TTC loves to tout its service. Yeah, it's expansive, but it's broken. When I have to wait 40 minutes for an Ossington bus, only to have 4 of them come in a row, or twenty minutes for a street car.. only to see they're all short turning very soon.. that's not good service.

People have to stop with the NIMBY attitude though, especially downtown. Streetcars having a right of away, ala Spadina, on King is a start. Queen is just too crowded for it all, really.

You'd think they'd want to fix their current issues, rather than start on this; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MoveOntario_2020

As a poster said previously, St Clair has been a mess for years. I can't wait for 30 years of consistent construction on new projects, while old routes continue to degrade.

What we have is good, and they are updating the Subways and the Streetcars. The move Ontario plan is also good. As the city grows the service needs to expand.

People coming in here and saying "I feel bad for what you pay etc.." I think don't comprehend something.

Toronto's public transportation system, which the TTC operates, is the third largest and most used in North America. The city is massive, and the system is under constant repair, construction and expansion.

So yes, we are going to pay more. It also makes sense we pay more then New York, as a majority of their expansion is already finished.

However, it should also not be on US to pay for it. It should be on the governments to do so. Seeing as we are taxed out of our asses and most of it is wasted each year. There is also no excuse for late buses, 40 minute waits, or service delays every day.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
canova said:

I <3 you for making the (UK) Distinction in a Toronto thread :D

the LTC is going on strike come Monday, no transit service at all until their insane demands are met.. this should be a fun ride (or lack thereof.. lol)

www.londontransit.ca

Azih

The crazy thing is that every transit system in the freaking country is underserved and underfinanced but Toronto gets used as some sort of unique whipping boy. Other countries spend far more of their tax revenue on their public transit infrastructure than we do plain and simple. Unions suck and are leeches but they're a scapegoat in this situation.

TransitCity and MoveOntario 2020 are fucking necessities.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
DrEvil said:

the LTC is going on strike come Monday, no transit service at all until their insane demands are met.. this should be a fun ride (or lack thereof.. lol)

www.londontransit.ca
My friends who go to Western are going ballistic over the strike. It completely screws up the commute for thousands of students and they're approaching their finals' time.

Glad I graduated and moved the hell away from that place. LTC is shit.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Screw the TTC.

I was so happy when I realized I could take the GO bus instead of the TTC for a new school term. It might have been a bit more expensive, but they were far faster, more comfortable, and they were actually fucking competent. For once, I was riding a mass transit system that was actually on time. I wasn't regularly waiting for over an hour at the same bus stop only to see three busses show up back to back for their "average time for a bus to show up" bullshit.

IMO the low sanity cost of taking the GO bus more than made up for the slightly higher financial cost.

Threi said:
Thank god i have a car-

oh wait school parking is $5 per day, even for 1 class...

fucking TTC

Ride a motorcycle, parking for bikes is free in Toronto and you can always find some place small enough to wedge a bike into.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Blackface said:
What we have is good, and they are updating the Subways and the Streetcars. The move Ontario plan is also good. As the city grows the service needs to expand.

People coming in here and saying "I feel bad for what you pay etc.." I think don't comprehend something.

Toronto's public transportation system, which the TTC operates, is the third largest and most used in North America. The city is massive, and the system is under constant repair, construction and expansion.

So yes, we are going to pay more. It also makes sense we pay more then New York, as a majority of their expansion is already finished.

However, it should also not be on US to pay for it. It should be on the governments to do so. Seeing as we are taxed out of our asses and most of it is wasted each year. There is also no excuse for late buses, 40 minute waits, or service delays every day.

Yeah, the expansions are very nice in theory. Maybe the TTC shouldn't begin projects with limited funding and obvious understated cost when other parts of the systems are failing. How does starting five new projects help any of the current problems, ie; giving streetcars, buses, the right-of-away, expanding the subway instead of of shoving streetcar traffic down everyone's throat. How about spending the few hundred thousand from one of those projects to install an automated subway that would increase flow, and cost from wages.

New streetcars are nice, but they won't do anything to improve the problem which is the cars group together, because they have to share the road with cars. Street cars are insane on Queen St; it should be a subway. Or at least the streetcars should dip underground from Parliament to Shaw, to avoid the traffic. That alone would help with transit more than all these LRTs and streetcar expansions.

TTC has good coverage for a city the size of Toronto; you really are only a few minutes from transit in this city at every corner. But, the issue is the TTC continues to toss money at projects it has no business starting. You're drinking the Kool-Aid if you think they're going to improve anything; they're just more messes for the TTC to have to fix in years to come, while we end up paying $7.50 per trip by 2020.

I mean, things like the Museum Subway renovation are lovely. But it's like a hospital building a huge new glorious lobby, when their current equipment and patients rooms are falling apart.

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
Look, you guys have it good. I just put up with a week long SEPTA strike.

No worries, I'm sure 2011 looks like a good year for a wildcat strike of us too. :lol

neptunes

Torontonians are such drama queens, you guys are complaining over 3.00 cash fare?

Mississauga resident has have been getting screwed for the longest time now, we've been @ $3.00 for over a year now, and still have money left over to "help" your city.

eternal prize said:
Honestly, fuck the TTC. They're too comfortable with their jobs, so nothing will change. Plus Adam is such a prick.

What pisses me off even more, is that the rest of the regions in ontario hike their prices to match the TTC. I mean it costs 2.75 to get on Brampton transit... and they have 2 buses every 3 hours where I live. What the fuck is up with that?
Nah dude, Brampton transit is and has been $3 for a while.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
NetMapel said:
My friends who go to Western are going ballistic over the strike. It completely screws up the commute for thousands of students and they're approaching their finals' time.

Glad I graduated and moved the hell away from that place. LTC is shit.

My GF goes to Brescia (it's on western campus), and they've all been told that even if the LTC strikes, they still HAVE to get to the school to do their midterms/exams, and the only acceptable excuse is a doctors note.

Gonna suck for those students to have to grab a cab or carpool at a minute's notice.

edit: btw, cash fare in London is $2.50 for the bus; and our city is only 350k people... by comparison, our fares are high when you look at the cost and population of Toronto.

The proposed Metropass increase is idiotic, but the $3.00 fare is fair. Bus fare in Oakville and Mississauga is already $3.00, and York Region is $3.25

neptunes

Compared to Mississauga/Brampton I'd gladly pay $3.25 if I could get buses as frequent and as accessible as the TTC. Seriously there are times where you are waiting +35 mins for a bus that runs on a major street.

Canova

Banned
DrEvil said:

www.londontransit.ca

oh we got threats of transit strike pretty much every single year

neptunes said:
Compared to Mississauga/Brampton I'd gladly pay $3.25 if I could get buses as frequent and as accessible as the TTC. Seriously there are times where you are waiting +35 mins for a bus that runs on a major street.

You act like that never happens downtown.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
neptunes said:

All GTA transit systems are a joke, really. Mississauga eyes TTC fare hiking, or wage hiking for their employees; BAM! They must do it as well. Of course, you do live in Mississauga, so I would hope you'd have a car! At least if you don't, you can avoid the new emissions tax when you come downtown. :lol

Dyno

I live on Church St. and they're tearing it up right now for new subway tracks. I never even see a street car on Church St.

On St. Clair the LRT line is already getting abused and messed up. I bet if the trains were running and of use to people they wouldn't be vandalized so much.

Azih

EvilMario said:
Yeah, the expansions are very nice in theory. Maybe the TTC shouldn't begin projects with limited funding and obvious understated cost when other parts of the systems are failing. How does starting five new projects help any of the current problems, ie; giving streetcars, buses, the right-of-away,
The new streetcar lines in TransitCity are being built expressly to give street cars the right of way as they are set apart from traffic. Same thing they're doing with St Clair. Giving right of way effectively is a big huge messy construction deal and it's been happening.
expanding the subway instead of of shoving streetcar traffic down everyone's throat.
After the Eglinton subway line started getting built but then Mike Harris got elected and not only did he shut it down but FILLED IT BACK IN how the hell do you expect Toronto to get provincial and federal funding for subway expansion outside of winning something like the Olympics? Not going to happen
How about spending the few hundred thousand from one of those projects to install an automated subway that would increase flow, and cost from wages.
The new subway trains they ordered get us a step closer to that:
http://www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Projects_and_initiatives/New_Subway_Train/index.jsp
And the signalling system across all the lines have to be upgraded to allow for this which is more construction and more captial funding requirements.

New streetcars are nice, but they won't do anything to improve the problem which is the cars group together, because they have to share the road with cars.
Which is why TransitCity streetcar lines are isolated from traffic with their own right of way.
Street cars are insane on Queen St; it should be a subway.
Please see what happend with the Eglinton subway and also the fact that Canada spends almost nothing on investing in public transit outside of major events like the Olympics. Thank God we got the Pan AM games and Go lines will be upgraded to move athletes around the horsehoe easier and we'll get to use the upgraded facilities after they leave.

I mean, things like the Museum Subway renovation are lovely. But it's like a hospital building a huge new glorious lobby, when their current equipment and patients rooms are falling apart.
The rationale there was that the station needed to be renovated anyway and it didn't cost a whole lot more to do it pretty while they were at it. Don't know the figures there though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom