• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome to Toronto: Thread of TTC Fare Hikes and Blunders

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
In related news, Giambrone is out of the race for mayor of Toronto, after his personal life entered the fray. It will be interesting to see if he keeps his foot to the pedal on TTC improvements, especially customer service wise, like he was promising when he was likely going to resign his position in favor of running for mayor.

Probably the right move for him. He's already hated, and this scandal would be the focus of his entire campaign.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/cri...attled-adam-giambrone-quits-mayor-s-race?bn=1

Manics

Banned
EvilMario said:
In related news, Giambrone is out of the race for mayor of Toronto, after his personal life entered the fray. It will be interesting to see if he keeps his foot to the pedal on TTC improvements, especially customer service wise, like he was promising when he was likely going to resign his position in favor of running for mayor.

Probably the right move for him. He's already hated, and this scandal would be the focus of his entire campaign.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/cri...attled-adam-giambrone-quits-mayor-s-race?bn=1

Dude is a total jabroni. Perfect last name for him. :lol :lol

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I still can't believe Canada's biggest city have such a crappy transit system compared to Canada's other big cities. It makes Vancouver's Tranlink seem light years ahead and that's a pretty hard thing to do :O

firehawk12 said:
The Union put out a PR telling people to stop harassing TTC employees.

You know who you are! :lol
:lol
Probably thousands of university students .

I am happy that he got caught hope fully he will resign from ttc chair too.

EvilMario said:

"his personal life entered the fray" doesn't do justice to the magnitude of hurt that he put on his common-law girlfriend and family. Dude couldn't keep it in his pants, defiled his office, and then decided it would be smarter to try to lie to the press, as if his raunchy text messages would somehow evaporate.

There are no words I have to describe this ...thing... that wouldn't get me arrested.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
BladeWorker said:
"his personal life entered the fray" doesn't do justice to the magnitude of hurt that he put on his common-law girlfriend and family. Dude couldn't keep it in his pants, defiled his office, and then decided it would be smarter to try to lie to the press, as if his raunchy text messages would somehow evaporate.

There are no words I have to describe this ...thing... that wouldn't get me arrested.

The most disturbing part is that he was having sex, in his City Hall office. Haha.. beautiful. And after he couldn't take the heat, he 'left the country to clear his head'. Yeah, this 'kid' was not ready to be mayor, TTC Chair, or any other position that requires leadership qualities.

On an off note from the TTC, Toronto is raising fares for a lot of the city programs this year. Most of the community centre programs are aimed at lower-income families, so this will hurt them all the more. Toronto is in desperate need for cash, per usual, after years of ill-advised spending.

Apparently there is a water-fee being proposed as well. Estimates come in at $50/m for fresh water from the tap. The money would be used to replace the ancient piping throughout the city. The guy proposing it thinks 'most family can afford $50/m, it's the cost of high speed internet'. Yesseh, $50/m is a lot for some families.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
EvilMario said:
The most disturbing part is that he was having sex, in his City Hall office. Haha.. beautiful. And after he couldn't take the heat, he 'left the country to clear his head'. Yeah, this 'kid' was not ready to be mayor, TTC Chair, or any other position that requires leadership qualities.

On an off note from the TTC, Toronto is raising fares for a lot of the city programs this year. Most of the community centre programs are aimed at lower-income families, so this will hurt them all the more. Toronto is in desperate need for cash, per usual, after years of ill-advised spending.

Apparently there is a water-fee being proposed as well. Estimates come in at $50/m for fresh water from the tap. The money would be used to replace the ancient piping throughout the city. The guy proposing it thinks 'most family can afford $50/m, it's the cost of high speed internet'. Yesseh, $50/m is a lot for some families.
Curious as to what are some of those ill-advised spending ? Why is Toronto and Ontario in such bad financial shape ? The thing I don't get is, given its bad financial shape, why did the province increase its tax credits in film productions significantly. I mean, that doesn't help with the province's massive deficit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
NetMapel said:
Curious as to what are some of those ill-advised spending ? Why is Toronto and Ontario in such bad financial shape ? The thing I don't get is, given its bad financial shape, why did the province increase its tax credits in film productions significantly. I mean, that doesn't help with the province's massive deficit.

Harris government man. The Conservatives were basically riding the good times and selling shit off to maintain the facade of a balanced budget.

Remember that when the NDP were in charge (and before then, I assume), the provincial government supported the TTC and many other city services.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
NetMapel said:

For instance, city is all about the here and now.. so even though increased taxes means losing business in the future, the next year.. we'll see the cash.

And of course, why would they refuse raises. Not like they even have to file reports on their expenditures either. And when they are audited it's a small talking to, then we forget about it; http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2009/01/29/8184256-sun.html
http://www.thestar.com/article/282265

And.. what the City itself sticks into the TTC, as the province, with issues of its own, won't help out. TTC is a blackhole for cash long term. Transit City is a nightmare. smh, at the governments love for streetcars, when we should be building subways. We have to rip up nearly every road in downtown already, thanks to the ancient water system and pipes. We seem to have enough money for a billion dollars in streetcars, but never mind any of the other issues (hello, eHealth)

There is a lot of talk of the City selling assets, like Hydro, to cover the $400 million dollar deficit they're projecting already.. but that's just another bandage on a gaping wound (see the street lights above). http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/art...ronto-street-lights-will-top-400-million?bn=1

You can look back to the garbage strike as an example of unions, and how wage controlling is effecting the city's budget too. Toronto Police receive a 5% budget increase (need those by-law officers), and it's impossible to lay any of them off. http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/759018--police-layoffs-not-in-this-town

Anyways, lots of issues culminating in this huge problem. And that's just the local government, don't let me start on things like CRTC. :lol

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Stop harassing TTC employees?

Do your FUCKING job!

This is the huge problem with unions: they protect the bad apples because they're "one of them". Do they not realize they make the rest of them look bad? I understand even the asses pay into the union, but there's gotta be some discipline amongst them. I don't think any of them have any fear of being fired. When was the last time there was a shake-up at the union or TTC? They should be giving quality service because that's their job! If you come here, you'll more than likely experience the apathy and laziness as well. It's a goddamn embarrassment considering I've been to other cities the same size and bigger AND their fares are not only cheaper, their service is better and their operators are friendlier and harder working.

I'm usually against competition for public transportation, but I'll accept anything at this point to get rid of the TTC.

Adam Giambrone is a fucking louse. I'm surprised he got as far as he did considering he did very little for the TTC itself. Under his reign now, I believe we've had the biggest fare hike ever, we have these stupid structures on the front of the TTC streetcar that cost us millions (that nobody ever fucking uses and are worthless in the winter), we broke the queen streetcar line into two and fucked over the entire line as I see even MORE empty streetcars coming then bursting to the seams streetcars, we have a sheppard line that goes nowhere and that is rarely used (not entirely Giambrone's fault, but he hasn't made it any better).

Why is this guy still around? Why do young politicians look up to him? He's smart? The "youngest" ever? I'd argue it's BECAUSE he's the youngest ever, that he's simply not ready for the job. His own fucking union employees turned against him and voted down a city deal after he advised them to take it.

Toronto itself has become more and more expensive the longer I live here. Stupid things like the 5 cents for plastic bags, increased taxi fares, the HST, higher property taxes, electronic tax etc etc. Seems to be more like a city for the rich. As for 'where' the money is being spent, we lose a lot of money since we pay out a hell of a lot more than we get back. Sure, helps the smaller cities up north, but it doesn't help when we're the ones financing them and get nothing in return. We have a ton of mismanagement and we DESPERATELY need an audit and a cleaning out of city hall. It was only a month ago when a news story broke that city employees were using city-issued credit cards for personal use. Few months before that, the Catholic District School board did the same thing: using city funds for personal use. It also hasn't helped that Toronto and Ontario have had high rates of unemployment and that the government has been paying the price as fewer people are paying taxes and more are collecting EI. Still, the gun registry, the ehealth program, we take mis-spending to whole new levels.

:( Maybe it's time to move to the Prairies or something...

Apoc29

The guy who got caught sleeping on the job died of embarrassment:
http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/article/897922--ttc-mourns-death-of-napping-employee?bn=1
FA0ck.jpg

The real blunder here is that of the Toronto Star, who, knowing that the photograph was the bane of the man's existence, decided to honour him by SHOWING THE PHOTO AGAIN in the printed article.

Yeah, I'm no better by showing the photo here, but it's not like GAF is going to sully his memory any further...

Blackface

Banned
Everyone has slacked off at work at some point. Anyone who says otherwise should be taken to the top of the CN Tower and dropped off of it. I love the fact people are so offended by that photo, as they read their paper before they go to work, where they will browse facebook all day.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Blackface said:
Everyone has slacked off at work at some point. Anyone who says otherwise should be taken to the top of the CN Tower and dropped off of it. I love the fact people are so offended by that photo, as they read their paper before they go to work, where they will browse facebook all day.

How many people sleep at work? I wish I had nap time! The worker (RIP) should have blamed the origination for causing the public to be on edge, and quick to point out any incident they noticed.

And slacking off is really nothing compared to the attitude you'll receive from most of the TTC staff. Their are definitely a few good apples in the bunch that help people, smile, and are overall pleasant. They are the minority though.

Regardless, this issue struck a cord with people at the time because the TTC was fucking up left and right. Raising fairs, horrific management of streetcars and buses, Giambrone shown to be using thousands per year in tax payer money to take taxis when he tries to prompt 'the better way', and the unwillingness of the TTC to upgrade their system ($100k workers in booths collecting tokens, and look at transfers).

Transit City is a mess now, but something the city could use for the most part. We can look forward to it not moving forward as planned though, but we'll see what that means. Ford and Ottawa have already said they'll talk things over in regards to it. Maybe we just lose a couple of the LRTs, but we'll see.

TTC is outdated, and it waste money left and right, as they complain they're not turning a profit and raise fares.

They have brilliant marketing too; http://www.blogto.com/city/2007/03/ttc_to_riders_its_your_fault/

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
How can the TTC can be managed so badly? I mean the STM just won the best transit service in North America. I was in Toronto last weekend and couldn't believe that the driver has a bullet-proof protection glass between the riders and him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom