• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Western black rhino declared extinct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Espresso

Banned
111110012209-black-rhino-extinct-conservation-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Africa's western black rhino is now officially extinct according the latest review of animals and plants by the world's largest conservation network.

The subspecies of the black rhino -- which is classified as "critically endangered" by the International Union for Conservation of Nature's (IUCN) Red List of Threatened Species -- was last seen in western Africa in 2006.

The IUCN warns that other rhinos could follow saying Africa's northern white rhino is "teetering on the brink of extinction" while Asia's Javan rhino is "making its last stand" due to continued poaching and lack of conservation.

"In the case of the western black rhino and the northern white rhino the situation could have had very different results if the suggested conservation measures had been implemented," Simon Stuart, chair of the IUCN species survival commission said in a statement.​

Source: CNN

Valnen

Fuck. Night legitimately ruined. Why isn't poaching taken more seriously? It's too fucking late now.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Not to worry, economics will save it. As they become more rare the demand will get more expensive and it'll reduce poaching.

Oh wait.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
this is the 3rd time this came up, are they reporting this everytime they find that one final black rhino?

AMUSIX

this is the 3rd time this came up, are they reporting this everytime they find that one final black rhino?

no, the article is from two years ago.

Oh, and for anyone who wants to see them before they die out completely, there exist a few at zoos around the world. I know San Diego has two of them.

J_Lee

Banned
I think we should vote to just start shooting poachers no trial or anything just right there in the middle of the wild this shit would stop.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Thanks a lot Asian people still practicing dumbass cultural myths :/

Thanks a lot so called "hunters" and sportsmen" for being reckless cowards.

next stop, african Elephants.... til the Ivory well is dry

AMUSIX

I wish scientists would save ova and sperm.

They do, as well as other cells. San Diego Zoo has a massive "Frozen Zoo" facility:

It is remarkable that our Frozen Zoo® now contains frozen cell cultures of more than 9,000 individual birds, reptiles, amphibians, mammals and, even, fish. Adding in the number of frozen biopsies that may be expanded to produce cell cultures, the Frozen Zoo® contains more than 10,000 individual animals of over 1,000 species. Nowhere else does such an amazing collection exist.

from: http://www.sandiegozooglobal.org/wh...em_cell_science_offers_hope_for_conservation/

I've said it before, i'll say it again. Westen Governments should just go in there and take the lot. The Elephants, Rhinos, everything. And stick them in Australia or Nevada or something.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
How could we even recreate a whole species? We'd need a lot of different DNA samples to have a species which can manage to be repopulated no?

Polar bear, tiger, elephants, lions, whales, dolphins, :(

Hunter S.

They do, as well as other cells. San Diego Zoo has a massive "Frozen Zoo" facility:

It is remarkable that our Frozen Zoo® now contains frozen cell cultures of more than 9,000 individual birds, reptiles, amphibians, mammals and, even, fish. Adding in the number of frozen biopsies that may be expanded to produce cell cultures, the Frozen Zoo® contains more than 10,000 individual animals of over 1,000 species. Nowhere else does such an amazing collection exist.

from: http://www.sandiegozooglobal.org/wh...em_cell_science_offers_hope_for_conservation/

Thanks for an informative post of something positive !

Lamel

Banned
Wow, just like that, the last member of this species died out. Terrifying to think of. Weird thing is that it was declared extinct in 2011 though.

I really hope tigers and lions don't go this way; it's good to know there are more conservation efforts for them.

Yes I know, it is technically part of nature, but still sad nonetheless.

I've said it before, i'll say it again. Westen Governments should just go in there and take the lot. The Elephants, Rhinos, everything. And stick them in Australia or Nevada or something.

This is stupid.

jerry1594

You never know what will happen in the future so the word seems appropriate.

I'm not referring to that at all. I'm just annoyed with all these disciplines being crammed together under the science term. It's become a thing since everyone started felting Neil Tyson. Like "new protein discovered" "yeah science bitch!" "engineers design self-fixing bridge" "science bitch!". To me, a comparable example would be if a really good game came out, and someone said "entertainment is so good", or if people were talking about the latest bestseller and someone says "fuck yeah art!". Technically not incorrect but it's annoying. Just a pet peeve I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom