• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Western Digital Easystore 4TB USB 3.0 external HDD - $89.99 - Best Buy (U.S.)

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I wasn't sure if anyone posted this, or if I could post this here. I needed an external for my PS4 and think this one might be decent. Any thoughts/criticisms for this model?

Best Buy is selling the WD Eastystore 4TB USB 3.0 external HDD (Discontinued model) for $89.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easy...-3-0-hard-drive-black/5792400.p?skuId=5792400

5792400_sd.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642

DayEnder

It supports USB 3.0 so it will be compatible with PS4/Xbox One. Expect a 5400rpm drive inside the enclosure though so performance likely won't be much different than the stock one in the system. I like WD drives, 4TB is a good amount of space, and the price is solid.

DayEnder

That would be like $20 more I think.. if I'm looking at the right model. I think I'd rather save the $20.

If you aren't bothered by the load times of games currently with the stock internal drive then save yourself the $20. If money is an important factor then this is a good drive with a great price.

Darklor01

If you aren't bothered by the load times of games currently with the stock internal drive then save yourself the $20. If money is an important factor then this is a good drive with a great price.

Yeah,. unfortunately for me.. money is a bit of a factor. Trying to tighten the financial belt. :|

DayEnder

Yeah,. unfortunately for me.. money is a bit of a factor. Trying to tighten the financial belt. :|

Nothing wrong with that, not everyone is in financial position that allows for unlimited entertainment budgets. Go with what you can afford or are willing to spend.

DayEnder

Hmm. I do need a new hard drive for my Airport Extreme Time Machine. Is this a pretty good deal?

The drive on its own is ~$120. So the drive plus enclosure for $90 is a really solid deal. Canadian here and to get the same drive would be about $179 without the enclosure.

Zeneric

WD is a great brand. WD 4TB HDD for $90 USD is a sweet deal. You could get the HDD out of the enclosure and install it in your PC.

Darklor01

Dunno if this is a frankendrive that you can't just pop open and throw inside your pc case.

Credit: Slickdeals
Here are some links to the posts that say they are standard SATA drives inside
https://slickdeals.net/f/10049636-4...k-89-99-free-shipping?p=98863908#post98863908

First drive in NAS, everything is good, just like the 5TB mybook I used a year ago. Nothing surprise once opened, removed the board and it's just SATA. Did have to remove the existing WD volume before my NAS can use it. Used one of those usb sata terminal cleaned it up.

https://slickdeals.net/f/10049636-4...k-89-99-free-shipping?p=98865132#post98865132

Just got it opened and out and it's Red! Just pure beauty to my eyes. Going to go back and get two more. Thanks again for your help. I did test it and it works in my Synology NAS.

https://slickdeals.net/f/10049636-4...k-89-99-free-shipping?p=98859472#post98859472

someone on reddit confirmed that inside is just a plain SATA drive. https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc...e/dg8fqib/
I bought this exact drive today there is an interface that is connected to the sata ports that is easily removed by unscrewing one screw http://i.imgur.com/DOxnEJt.jpg

Darklor01

There's a reviewer on Best Buy's site that claims he bought five of these a while back and they have this model WD Red HDD inside "WD40EFRX"

Newegg & B&H have that at $139.99 USD. If that's true, that's a solid deal.

AdamMPSP

So can I just pop this baby open and put it INSIDE of my computer? Not sure that's what I want to do, but I excitedly ordered one and now I've gotta figure out what to do with it.

Darklor01

So can I just pop this baby open and put it INSIDE of my computer? Not sure that's what I want to do, but I excitedly ordered one and now I've gotta figure out what to do with it.

Might require work to get it open and to take the controller chip off, but allegedly yes. Might need to change formatting or sectors, but I hear that's a yes.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Be aware this requires AC power, it will not be powered over USB.

This answered a question I had.

Getting a harddrive upgrade kit for my PS4, it was a tiny case for the laptop size drive. I would rather have those because they are smaller. And powered over USB.

FYI, I got one of these last week from BB and put it on my Xbox One. If you don't set startup function to energy-efficient, the drive continues spinning even when the Xbox is sleeping. Make sure to change to energy-efficient, or your drive will die prematurely.

Oh man, I've been looking at picking up a 1 or 2 TB external drive fory ps4 so this is mighty tempting.

I see it needs ac power. Not a problem, but should it still work well with a console?

Fisty

Just picked one up at my local BB, probably should have thought it through a bit more since it's not USB powered. Hopefully it's wake-on-demand at least, I don't want this monster clocking all day

FYI, I got one of these last week from BB and put it on my Xbox One. If you don't set startup function to energy-efficient, the drive continues spinning even when the Xbox is sleeping. Make sure to change to energy-efficient, or your drive will die prematurely.

Yes this is what I'm worried about. How do you switch it over? With the software?

Just picked one up at my local BB, probably should have thought it through a bit more since it's not USB powered. Hopefully it's wake-on-demand at least, I don't want this monster clocking all day

Yes this is what I'm worried about. How do you switch it over? With the software?

Sorry, I should have explained better. The drive is fine, it's the Xbox startup option you need to set to energy-efficient.

I assume PS4 has this option too no?

Yes, it's just the difference between a full shutdown of the PS4 and putting it into rest mode. But I also don't know if PS4 rest mode actually keeps this drive spinning (it may not). I installed a 2TB internal drive in my PS4 years ago and haven't felt the need to supplement with an external on it yet.

Darklor01

Yes, it's just the difference between a full shutdown of the PS4 and putting it into rest mode. But I also don't know if PS4 rest mode actually keeps this drive spinning (it may not). I installed a 2TB internal drive in my PS4 years ago and haven't felt the need to supplement with an external on it yet.

Guess I'll find out when I try it. I figure I won't touch a 4TB at this price for a while and with all the games being bought like ESO: Morrowind and Destiny 2, RDR2... etc, going to need that space.

Does anyone have experience with ac-powered externals and ps4s rest mode? Snapped this up and regretting it a bit because of things im reading online. Really dont want to have to do a full shut down every time.

So after being away for the weekened, I got this set up and hooked up to the PS4 and did some installing. I pretty much always use rest mode, so I was interested to see if this drive powers down when not in use.

It kept installing stuff if I had a download going while in rest mode, which is good. And from the couple of times downloads have finished, it does appear that it doens't keep working when the PS4 isn't doing anything with it in rest mode. I came down this morning after some games finished downloading overnight and it was on standby. So that takes care of my concerns about that for the moment. Will have to see if it handles fetching patches well when in rest mode, but I don't know why it wouldn't.

But yea so far so good.

Edit: Though I haven't checked to see what happens if a game is on standby while in rest mode. Will have to see

Top Bottom