• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Helmholtz

Am I so dumb for not understanding there are 2 timelines after 5 episodes?! I didn't know about this before reading some articles!
I mean all of you knew this only by watching the series or you read this here and on other forums/websites?
I first read about it on GAF. As far as I know it's still just a (likely correct) theory, nothing's been confirmed. If I didn't read about it on the internet I don't think I would have picked up on it, but I'm pretty bad at noticing twists and stuff in general.

While I do believe it it's not guaranteed, still just a theory? And I don't know who first came up with it but I found it on the net and I myself wasn't a big believer until the El Lazo episode.
1) It's still just a theory as of now
2) And the discussion here started after episode 2, after someone shared a post on Reddit comparing the two logos
I first read about it on GAF. As far as I know it's still just a (likely correct) theory, nothing's been confirmed. If I didn't read about it on the internet I don't think I would have picked up on it, but I'm pretty bad at noticing twists and stuff in general.
Thank you guys!
I thought it's an official thing. So it's just a theory, but it's a really good theory, specially after things happened in episode 5. (still haven't seen episode 6)
The only problem is some scenes with Dolores. I should watch them again, but it seems she can see the future! lol For example in that scene she shot a man in the barn, she saw Man in Black! Or maybe that was only editing.

Nodnol

Thank you guys!
I thought it's an official thing. So it's just a theory, but it's a really good theory, specially after things happened in episode 5. (still haven't seen episode 6)
The only problem is some scenes with Dolores. I should watch them again, but it seems she can see the future! lol For example in that scene she shot a man in the barn, she saw Man in Black! Or maybe that was only editing.

It's all editing.

Personally, I buy into atleast 3 timelines being shown from Dolores' perspective.

Rewatch the season again and a lot makes sense...though that may be confirmation bias.

I don't know about you guys, but my hype for this show is slowly dying after each episode. The last two have been terrible, what is this bs with Maeve and the two guys?! The "logic" of the show is all over the place, I feel like I'm watching LOST all over again.

I don't get these comparisons. There is nothing supernatural, no time flash, no trans-dimensional lighthouse mirrors, no unexplained mother god lady, etc etc etc

Although some questions are left unanswered, the answers will likely be grounded in the reality of the show. Sure, why the techs are following Maeve's orders is sloppy writing - but the answer won't be that Maeve was under the control of two feuding God beings that want William to find a cave so he can smash a magic crystal.

No, the two are listening to her because they don't want to be fired and Maeve is a imposing personality whose quick with a scalpel. Again, sloppy because they should theoretically be able to shit her down via iPad - but it's not a LOST level plot hole. Not even close.

No, the two are listening to her because they don't want to be fired and Maeve is a imposing personality whose quick with a scalpel. Again, sloppy because they should theoretically be able to shit her down via iPad - but it's not a LOST level plot hole. Not even close.
That's supposed to be touched on next episode. But I imagine the higher authority that already changed her settings was what prevented them from just shutting her down or lowering her settings below the current levels

It's all editing.

Personally, I buy into atleast 3 timelines being shown from Dolores' perspective.

Rewatch the season again and a lot makes sense...though that may be confirmation bias.

I mean there are def different timelines depicted for the robots. The cycle concept of the park has been revealed. Question is if there are actually 2 timelines for the guests, but so far we havent actually seen characters aging.

That's supposed to be touched on next episode. But I imagine the higher authority that already changed her settings was what prevented them from just shutting her down or lowering her settings below the current levels

Didn't she ask for one of her settings to be lowered? Loyalty I think?

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
What about Maeve's flashback with the kid kinda corresponding to over-acting guy's storyline that got shot down? Going further, that would indicate that Delos went with the Sizemore's story anyway.
I really need to rewatch, but that would kinda imply that the Ford storyline is the past one, and the William one is the present one.

But I dunno, might just be another red herring and Maeve's flashbacks are from another, similar, story.

If the two timeline theory is true, I would assume that they would add in many more obvious hints, otherwise it's going to come from left field for 99% of viewers.

That is some delicious Crichton espionage right there if true, great observation. If it turns out the butchers were forced to comply and act by an unseen manipulator that'd be wonderful.

Speevy

Banned
I think the problem with the last two episodes is that the "real world" seemed far less menacing and oppressive. It sort of breaks the show when they show a human character flirting in daylight.

okay, so before the next episode airs I just want to say I'm willing to bet that whole timeline crap is just nonsense. I am not betting my account, no, that's just silly. Just my pride. Aw my pride!

But on the bright side, if it is the case, then that is one hundred percent where the show ends and is cancelled right away. Nobody wants more of that Lost bullshit. It's 2016, not 2006, times have -thankfully- changed. It's not going to be rewarded for pitching a mystery out of left field for no good reason.
If anything, the election did demonstrate that God is -thank God!- dead in the US as well. And with it, all that fantasy bullshit is rapidly dying off too, so another Lost is dead by default.

I suspect it's going to get cancelled despite current numbers anyway though. Like Iceman analysis suggested, mystery is not a replacement for story, and I doubt the show will survive the messy discussions we're having on it. I mean: we're not even discussing the actual show, we're discussing the equivalent of alt-right conspiracy theory FFS. And when it dies, the show is dead. Watch that happen, kids.
( but then I assured my dad that Clinton had it covered when he somehow felt it was going to be Trump. Might as well flip a coin, you'd be luckier guessing that way. )

okay, so before the next episode airs I just want to say I'm willing to bet that whole timeline crap is just nonsense. I am not betting my account, no, that's just silly. Just my pride. Aw my pride!

But on the bright side, if it is the case, then that is one hundred percent where the show ends and is cancelled right away. Nobody wants more of that Lost bullshit. It's 2016, not 2006, times have -thankfully- changed. It's not going to be rewarded for pitching a mystery out of left field for no good reason.
If anything, the election did demonstrate that God is -thank God!- dead in the US as well. And with it, all that fantasy bullshit is rapidly dying off too, so another Lost is dead by default.

I suspect it's going to get cancelled despite current numbers anyway though. Like Iceman analysis suggested, mystery is not a replacement for story, and I doubt the show will survive the messy discussions we're having on it. I mean: we're not even discussing the actual show, we're discussing the equivalent of alt-right conspiracy theory FFS. And when it dies, the show is dead. Watch that happen, kids.
( but then I assured my dad that Clinton had it covered when he somehow felt it was going to be Trump. Might as well flip a coin, you'd be luckier guessing that way. )

It might not be so clear-cut as it all being 'timelines' but maybe Dolores re-living a dormant memory or something, and to her it's the present even though she's living that memory.

Has anyone noticed that the Westworld logo when William gets off the train in Episode 2 matches the logo on the lab coats during the flash backs in Episode 3? Also, you see a brief glimpse of the host that helps William get ready to enter the park in another flashback that takes place during the same monolog?

It's different than the logo in the modern park. Perhaps another clue that the William storyline is a flash back?

We know he and Delores go way back, she's the oldest host in the park, and evidence seems to point towards William having visited the park way back when it was newish (hence the logo).

Has anyone noticed that the Westworld logo when William gets off the train in Episode 2 matches the logo on the lab coats during the flash backs in Episode 3? Also, you see a brief glimpse of the host that helps William get ready to enter the park in another flashback that takes place during the same monolog?

It's different than the logo in the modern park. Perhaps another clue that the William storyline is a flash back?

We know he and Delores go way back, she's the oldest host in the park, and evidence seems to point towards William having visited the park way back when it was newish (hence the logo).

yes, the logos have been discussed muchly in this thread, miney :> there were some screenshots a few page past, i think... not hard to find, if you have a few minutes to skim and backread ...

a few people still think it's just production mishaps but most are definitely treating them as definitive proof for the two (or multiple) timelines

CHC

I kinda lost interest in this show after like 3.5 episodes but holy shit the timeline thing is still being debated? lol....

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Trompe L'Oeil

Maeve gives an ultimatum to Lutz and Sylvester; Bernard looks for a way out of a precarious situation; Charlotte seeks to reveal critical mistakes in Ford's creations; William, Dolores and Lawrence find themselves in dangerous territory.

I watched the episodes so far andi've been wondering about how the production schedule was.

In one hand there is the intuitive practice of filming one location at a time, but going beyond that, I imagine them filming everything that happens in the same room, and all the variations of the storylines together and then redoing with the changes that occur every day.

So for instance, they 'll be doing at once all the conversations in front of the bar of the whorehouse regardless of episode, rather than film episodes independently.

duckroll

No, episodes are shot independently by different directors sequentially. They use the same sets but they don't overlap. There are different cinematographers for different episodes as well, so the camera crews are different.

Is it just in a big warehouse then?
c1a39c9092eb11fa2efd4d9f2eda139c.jpg

It's outside.

More importantly- that doesn't matter.

No, episodes are shot independently by different directors sequentially. They use the same sets but they don't overlap. There are different cinematographers for different episodes as well, so the camera crews are different.

Yeah that makes sense, it is just that every time I see the wide shot of Dolores' house at night while we hear the gun shot, I think that they could have made the 7 or so variations of that shot one night.

Joni

What about Maeve's flashback with the kid kinda corresponding to over-acting guy's storyline that got shot down? Going further, that would indicate that Delos went with the Sizemore's story anyway.

He can just be using an existing backstory hook. Like the tragic past of Teddy that only got a real story in current time.

No. Wherever it is, it's outside. The sky is real and the geography was terraformed, we know that much.

Nolan referred to the park being terraformed, and you're not going to have robots climbing mountains at night using laser-based satellite uplinks without a real sky.

It's outside.

If it is outside, where are the birds? It is probably inside. Either in a mountain underground, or on a different planet. But it makes very little sense that only flies can get in if the park is not hermetically sealed. It is like the Truman show. It is inside but looks like outside.

Future

I don't get these comparisons. There is nothing supernatural, no time flash, no trans-dimensional lighthouse mirrors, no unexplained mother god lady, etc etc etc

Although some questions are left unanswered, the answers will likely be grounded in the reality of the show. Sure, why the techs are following Maeve's orders is sloppy writing - but the answer won't be that Maeve was under the control of two feuding God beings that want William to find a cave so he can smash a magic crystal.

Lost got a lot of flack for characters that weren't doing what they themselves would do an typical situations. They weren't asking the questions they would ask from a common sense perspective

Maeve's manipulation of the two butchers has been called out as a controversial moment where a lot of the audience wasn't buyin it

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I could buy into Maeve being able to manipulate these two techs in particular. They're experienced with dealing with hosts when they're turned off. If it was one of the behavior programmers, I wouldn't be able to swallow it. But Maeve is programmed to be a manipulator, so two techs with poor social skills and who only real deal with hosts that appear dead... yeah, I could see things going off the track.

FStop7

Banned
Even before the logo thing there were hints. The show begins with a deception, you're led to think that Teddy is a guest who's returned to the park.

When Jimmi Simpson first arrived I thought "this dude is so sugary and naive, is this Ed Harris before he became a cartoon villain?" And I also considered the idea of Ed Harris being some kind of highly respected goody goody IRL who comes to Westworld to live out all his depraved fantasies.

The show had been a mix of intentional swerves and others I think were less intnentional and more due to the reshoots.

If it is outside, where are the birds? It is probably inside. Either in a mountain underground, or on a different planet. But it makes very little sense that only flies can get in if the park is not hermetically sealed. It is like the Truman show. It is inside but looks like outside.
The possibility of robotic hosts is within the realm of possibility in the next 100 years (which it seems like this show takes place) and the ability to keep animals out of a area could probably even exist right now.

The possibility of a terraformed moon/mars or massive grand canyon sized chamber is thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of years away and at that point doesn't fit with the rest of the show timeline in terms of fashion, technology.

What is easier- keeping out animals and building tunnels under ground, or terraforming mars?

Either way I hope the show never addresses this as it'll be a focus on the wrong mysteries.

Joni

The possibility of robotic hosts is within the realm of possibility in the next 100 years (which it seems like this show takes place) and the ability to keep animals out of a area could probably even exist right now.
Only the flies are real. It means there is either a system that affects everything but flies or they are in any enclosed space where they messed up on the flies. Being outside and only having flies doesn't feel right.

You literally can't have laser-based satellite uplinks without an unobstructed, direct line-of-sight to the satellite. It's outside. There are other ways to seal the park.

You literally can't have laser-based satellite uplinks without an unobstructed, direct line-of-sight to the satellite. It's outside. There are other ways to seal the park.

And humans can't be used as a perpetual motion machine as in The Matrix...

Movies and shows violate scientific rules all the freakin' time. Having a satellite uplink work inside is hardly a noteworthy issue by fiction standards

bounchfx

Lost was fucking awesome tho.. minus a few things like the last season. Great tv experience

Plus I donno maybe it's just me, but I seem to have been witnessing a story while watching Westworld. Do you really not?

It's outside.

Sure it does. If it's some enclosed artificial habitat, it begs the question why it can't be outside. Simply to prevent biological contamination from flora and fauna? Is there a reason why this kind of pristine natural environment is a luxury and can't be found outside to place the park?

And humans can't be used as a perpetual motion machine as in The Matrix...

Movies and shows violate scientific rules all the freakin' time. Having a satellite uplink work inside is hardly a noteworthy issue by fiction standards
They explicitly called out that it was using a technology that's entire functionality is built around have a clear, direct line-of-sight. This isn't violating an arbitrary "scientific rule", lol. They could have said literally anything else or not even said anything at all. The host specifically attempted to climb a mountain at night to get an unobstructed connection to a satellite that it was locating visually. That makes no sense otherwise.

Come on man. It's a real sky. Unless this is all ANOTHER "trick", lol.

They explicitly called out that it was using a technology that's entire functionality is built around have a clear, direct line-of-sight. This isn't violating an arbitrary "scientific rule", lol. They could have said literally anything else or not even said anything at all. The host specifically attempted to climb a mountain at night to get an unobstructed connection to a satellite that it was locating visually. That makes no sense otherwise.

Come on man. It's a real sky. Unless this is all ANOTHER "trick", lol.

It's all part of the game, man.

I had forgotten the exact terminologically so I agree that it's less likely at this point. But I'm not ruling anything out in a show where we may not even know who's who and what's what, or who exactly knows what.

Regardless, you could dial back the condescension a bit, especially considering we're talking about a fictitious show that's literally about a world where anything goes

It's not condescension, just exasperation at the sheer volume of things in this topic that eventually get described as either mistakes/inaccuracies or outright tricks in order to push theories.

It's not condescension, just exasperation at the sheer volume of things in this topic that eventually get described as either mistakes/inaccuracies or outright tricks in order to push theories.

Whether you intended it or not, it comes across as condescension, with your "laughing out loud" at mere suggestions to the contrary.

Hell, I've barely participated in the thread, so it's even odder that you decided to take that tone with me

Whether you intended it or not, it comes across that way, with your "laughing out loud" at mere suggestions to the contrary.

Hell, I've barely participated in the thread, so it's even odder that you decided to take that tone with me
I get you, and I apologize if I was rude. I do have a tendency to "talk" in a way that comes off as such in text and that's on me.

I do get disproportionately irked by elements being dismissed as "it's just fiction, anything goes so whatever" though. To me, once you say that you've completely nullified the entire point of talking about any of this to begin with. Why even bother speculating at all if you can just assume/assert that "well it's a mistake or they're just fucking with us" at every single corner? So I get annoyed when it inevitably pops up into any story discussion, and in this topic it's become half the discussion.

Joni

If it is outside, they have invented a technique to block all life except flies which got in somehow. But laser-based satellite communication is mostly useful in space, because Earth-Space Satellite communication only succeeded last month. An outside location would also make a decompression chamber strange as that implies it having a different atmosphere, would make it silly for staff members to stay on-site for months at a time, possible to block all outside communication, ... The location must be special. In any case, they promised we will know by the end of the season.

Top Bottom