• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

As an aside, have we ever really discussed just who exactly the photo is of? Will that ever be relevant or is the who (stop fucking capitalizing The Who you damn phone) incidental here?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
My only hope is that, when HBO renews the show, the good-but-not-earth-shattering ratings don't lead them to slash the budget.

Now that they have all these huge sets and costumes and props, assuming the second season is still set in the park, they won't necessarily need as big of a budget anyway!
;\

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Was it ever mentioned if Abernathy was a legacy host or not? If he is, he could have simply been modified by the transmitter. The reason being that he wanted to use Dolores, but as mentioned "she is practically brand new", so the code phrase was used instead. The photograph simply being a side effect of increased paranoia stat.

He shows up in the flashback I believe, as one of the first hosts.

Bakkus

I just watched the first episode, and many things left me confused. Is Ed Harris real or robot? What is up with all the tourists repeating the tour should they die? And last but not least that British dude is a horrible actor, does he get better later on?

I just watched the first episode, and many things left me confused. Is Ed Harris real or robot? What is up with all the tourists repeating the tour should they die? And last but not least that British dude is a horrible actor, does he get better later on?
Ed Harris is a human. And no tourists have died. The ones that died and repeated are all hosts, who had their daily loops reset.

Ed Harris is a human.
Only the robots can die. Some robots ride the train with humans.
No.

Bakkus

Thanks, by the British guy i'm of course not talking about Hopkins, but that other one I can't believe how poor acting it was when he ranted about how they couldn't just remove all the newly modded robots from the simulation, he should have looked angry, but instead you could see he was close to laughing.

Oh, one last question, where are the visitors held, when they're in the simulation? That didn't seem to be explained.

PolishQ

Thanks, by the British guy i'm of course not talking about Hopkins, but that other one I can't believe how poor acting it was when he ranted about how they couldn't just remove all the newly modded robots from the simulation, he should have looked angry, but instead you could see he was close to laughing.

Oh, one last question, where are the visitors held, when they're in the simulation? That didn't seem to be explained.

It's not a simulation. The park is a real, physical space.

Nodnol

As an aside, have we ever really discussed just who exactly the photo is of? Will that ever be relevant or is the who (stop fucking capitalizing The Who you damn phone) incidental here?

Can't see it being relevant. The only relevance is it's of a scene the hosts aren't programmed to relate to or recognize.

Anyway, in terms of what triggers Abernathy's breakdown, I'd say it's a combination of Ford's update and the photo. Whatever was causing the reveries also was causing them to link together timelines and expands their cognitive function, so to speak. They could start comprehending things on a deeper level, and the photo was the catalyst.

Abernathy then says something to Dolores, who only then shows signs of abnormal behavior. Dolores then speaks to Maeve.

In the pilot, Dolores and Maeve aren't shown to be part of the recall effected by the reverie update. When Hector rolls into town and the updated narrative has been tweaked to kill more hosts, allowing a less disruptive recall, Maeve and Dolores are not targeted, therefore you can assume they were not subjected to the update.

Thus, the trigger phrase activated Arnold's dormant code in Dolores and Maeve, whilst Ford's update merely started the reaction in other hosts that lead to Dolores being "woken".

He might just be one of the worst characters on television currently. I hate him. I hope he's the first to die in the upcoming robot revolt.

Matty77

Not just the photo and the bad update, but didn't they say the stolen info was being relayed through the first gen systems that were part of Arnold's original design?

Not sure on this but if so that might have caused some shit too.

Nodnol

Abernathy is the patient zero then... But he's the only one who didn't need the phrase to act different, strange.

Not just the photo and the bad update, but didn't they say the stolen info was being relayed through the first gen systems that were part of Arnold's original design?

Not sure on this but if so that might have caused some shit too.

We don't really know how the corporate espionage, if that's even what it is, is actually that widespread. All we know is the woodcutter was implanted with that laser pointer and was drawing a target on his wood carvings.

We haven't seen any other host display that sort of behavior. Whilst we know they were using the old gen relays, we don't know how wide spread it is.

I'd say that Arnold's influence lies buried in their coding (as hinted at by Ford), and the reverie update allowed a lot of hosts to tap into that layer of their programming. The photo fucked Abernathy up; maybe a case of too much too soon? We saw Maeve effectively crash because she couldn't quite comprehend what she was seeing.

I don't think for one second what we are seeing is a virus or an emergence of something new, but rather the re-awakening of what Arnold started.

okdakor

I don't think for one second what we are seeing is a virus or an emergence of something new, but rather the re-awakening of what Arnold started.

Not a virus, but when a host is "infected" by the dormant code, he says the phrase to other(s)... I agree, Abernathy crashed because he found something that he could'nt process after being awakened. But still, the others seem to need the phrase to start their evolution. If that's the case, who said it to Abernathy ?

Nodnol

Not a virus, but when a host is "infected" by the dormant code, he says the phrase to other(s)... I agree, Abernathy crashed because he found something that he could'nt process after being awakened. But still, the others seem to need the phrase to start their evolution. If that's the case, who said it to Abernathy ?

I'd say it's either Arnold talking to the hosts via the old relay, either directly (IE he's still "alive" in the system) or through some sort of trigger, or it's simply the reverie update combined with the existential crisis caused by the photo.

I'm sure we will learn more about Arnold, what happened to him, what he was trying to accomplish and how, and what exactly the ghost in the machine is.

deleted

I find it really interesting what's going on with Fords character.
He spends lots of effort to make a point that he's not sentimental and has no sympathy or feelings towards the hosts, only to act differently in the next shot/episode.

e.g. He clearly feels nostalgic and sentimental towards his 'family' of hosts that are off the map and his new storyline.

Huge speculation that's probably way off, but could it be Arnold is a host himself created by Ford? They shared the same ideals for a while but when it came to the park, Arnold felt too sympathetic for the other hosts and tried to shut it down at all costs..

Here's a question: Why hasn't Maeve spread the "virus"? Or for that matter, why did Dolores stop with just Maeve? Is there a specific "protocol" on who to spread it to? Or perhaps a certain situation required to trigger usage of the keyword? Or is it semi-random or based on host digression?

Jasoneyu

Here's a question: Why hasn't Maeve spread the "virus"? Or for that matter, why did Dolores stop with just Maeve? Is there a specific "protocol" on who to spread it to? Or perhaps a certain situation required to trigger usage of the keyword? Or is it semi-random or based on host digression?

I have a feeling it has something to do the possibility these are all older generation hosts that were updated

So during the "yul brynner" cameo, the music playing was also taking cues from the original movie right? Been a while since I watched it, but it sounded like they were taking cues from the original soundtrack.

Used-ID

A couple of thoughts:

The old relay system. I have a feeling that it was originally used by the park to send interaction instructions to the hosts. Think client-server model, like the original hosts could only process so much and required a link to a larger computer or AI to fully interact with guests.

That picture of Ford and Abernathy... It looks to me like some one was edited out. A few pages back someone posted it and thought it looked like two photos posted together even adding a red line to show where. To me, there is a off color shadow like some one was standing there, the red line marks right side of what would be a person's leg.

Is Arnold a single entity? Could Arnold be another business or group that helped start the park? If it was a company or organization there wouldn't be a picture of Arnold, and would be easy to make an organization disappear with enough money/lawyers.

Could Arnold be a proto-AI? Basically the first AI that was made. Not only could it have assisted in host design/production, but also could have ran the original hosts via the relay system before hosts could house there own AI. Then when the newer model hosts were made the proto-AI code could be used as a base with modifications made for each hosts own "personality".

Or simply Arnold made everything, created a host that gained awareness which in turn killed him and has been running the park ever since.

His acting is ok but I think they made him over-the-top and that makes him seem like he's over-acting when I think he's just playing the character they want.

You have to expect a fairly eccentric guy given his job but he needs to be dialed down a bit. There's one scene where he's yelling at a designer and it's hard to imagine that someone would be that obscene in that kind of professional environment and not lose their job.

Beardz

I don't know about you guys, but my hype for this show is slowly dying after each episode. The last two have been terrible, what is this bs with Maeve and the two guys?! The "logic" of the show is all over the place, I feel like I'm watching LOST all over again.

so people are floating the idea than ed harrison
is the older self of the guy
from house of cards.
I have one question: When they tried to find out why blondie was so far off her normal narrative (when she was with william in that town with the little girl) they sent that sheriff to check on her, right?
But the people who sent the sheriff, aren't those the same people that work for the park in the ed harrison timeline?
I'm not sure about this, but that would make that theory unrealistic, or am I off here?

Ferrio

Banned
so people are floating the idea than ed harrison
is the older self of the guy
from house of cards.
I have one question: When they tried to find out why blondie was so far off her normal narrative (when she was with william in that town with the little girl) they sent that sheriff to check on her, right?
But the people who sent the sheriff, aren't those the same people that work for the park in the ed harrison timeline?
I'm not sure about this, but that would make that theory unrealistic, or am I off here?

A red herring. They talk about Dolores in the present because she's off her narrative and they assume she's with a guest. The next scene when it's the past timeline they show you a guy trying to take her away, he never says why though or even try to talk to William (which is really odd). The audience will just naturally assume he was sent by the park because of the prior scene, but we really don't know. He could have just be a random host or maybe he was someone sent 30 years ago for the same reason.

A red herring. They talk about Dolores in the present because she's off her narrative and they assume she's with a guest. The next scene when it's the past timeline they show you a guy trying to take her away, he never says why though or even try to talk to William (which is really odd). The audience will just naturally assume he was sent by the park because of the prior scene, but we really don't know. He could have just be a random host or maybe he was someone sent 30 years ago for the same reason.

I mean yeah that could be an explanation, but its kinda weird they would do it that way. At that time no one expected there would be
two timelines
yet, as far as i remember correctlly. At least there were fewer indications for it. But i can buy it.
On the other hand it is kind of misleading (well obviously this could be on purpose) that the sheriff let's off her, after he noticed she is with a guest, basically exactly what they wanted to check for. yeah well

Ferrio

Banned
I think most of us can safely say the show is not being very honest about things. Whether that particular bit was one of them, who knows but I wouldn't put it past them.

Not sure if it has already been mentioned, but up to what I have read in the thread so far, people were questioning everything about Mayve in the latest episode. Part of that was the fact someone already changed her settings from much higher up. Currently re watching episode 2 and someone who the camera doesn't show does exactly that because she glitches out mid conversation and puts a potential brothel guest off. Also, the logo in the setup room that is in question with William is the same one he sees on the escalator going into the facility

Edit: also, if the MIB = William theory is true, maybe they give him free reign because a host kills the other dude he is with and Westworld wants to keep it quiet

Joni

Not sure if it has already been mentioned, but up to what I have read in the thread so far, people were questioning everything about Mayve in the latest episode. Part of that was the fact someone already changed her settings from much higher up. Currently re watching episode 2 and someone who the camera doesn't show does exactly that because she glitches out mid conversation and puts a potential brothel guest off. Also, the logo in the setup room that is in question with William is the same one he sees on the escalator going into the facility

Edit: also, if the MIB = William theory is true, maybe they give him free reign because a host kills the other dude he is with and Westworld wants to keep it quiet

Someone seems to be changing it at the midst of their convo, and changing the intelligence requires higher approval. So it might not be the same person.

FStop7

Banned
I don't know about you guys, but my hype for this show is slowly dying after each episode. The last two have been terrible, what is this bs with Maeve and the two guys?! The "logic" of the show is all over the place, I feel like I'm watching LOST all over again.

Someone let Lindelof sneak in through the back entrance of the studio.

Can anybody clarify something for me please?

At the end of the second to last episode we see Maeve wake up and the bird lands on her finger, in the last episode we see her deliberately getting killed and waking up in the tech room with no bird.

What am I missing?

Can anybody clarify something for me please?

At the end of the second to last episode we see Maeve wake up and the bird lands on her finger, in the last episode we see her deliberately getting killed and waking up in the tech room with no bird.

What am I missing?

Passage of time.

After the bird thing they finished up with her and put her back into the park. Then she got herself killed again so she'd be pulled out and serviced again so she could talk more. It's possible she had even done that multiple times in between.

Is that it?

So what happened after she woke up with the robot bird?

Edited the above post, but presumably they talked a bit, then Felix told her she had to go back to the park, so he shut her down, finished servicing her, and sent he back in. Then she got herself killed again so she could come back out and learn more. It's possible this even happened several times between episodes as well, though I personally think this was her first time back after that.

Edited the above post, but presumably they talked a bit, then Felix told her she had to go back to the park, so he shut her down, finished servicing her, and sent he back in. Then she got herself killed again so she could come back out and learn more. It's possible this even happened several times between episodes as well, though I personally think this was her first time back after that.

Yeah, it's very confusing the way some scenes 'jump' for want of a better word.

I mean Felix looked like he'd shit himself when Maeve woke up with the bird and it's strange that we didn't see a continuation of that scene.

The jump is there so the viewer doesn't have time to question the utter stupidity of the situation. "Okay, now that she's out again let's get this taken care of forreal what the fuck was that?"

Parch

So during the "yul brynner" cameo, the music playing was also taking cues from the original movie right? Been a while since I watched it, but it sounded like they were taking cues from the original soundtrack.
There's a Yul Brynner cameo? I gotta see the that. He did a lot of stuff, but the Westworld role is probably the most iconic.

I saw Yul Brynner on stage during one of his last performances in The King And I, shortly before he died.

There's a Yul Brynner cameo? I gotta see the that. He did a lot of stuff, but the Westworld role is probably the most iconic.

I saw Yul Brynner on stage during one of his last performances in The King And I, shortly before he died.

Here ya go:

Screen-Shot-2016-11-02-at-10.47.16-PM.png

westworld_town.jpg

Parch

Thanks for that. I need to catch up on the series. It's really good so far.

Yul Brynner is probably as famous for his PSA commercials against smoking. He died of lung cancer and his final days on TV advocating non smoking is some haunting stuff.

Am I so dumb for not understanding there are 2 timelines after 5 episodes?! I didn't know about this before reading some articles!
I mean all of you knew this only by watching the series or you read this here and on other forums/websites?

Matty77

Am I so dumb for not understanding there are 2 timelines after 5 episodes?! I didn't know about this before reading some articles!
I mean all of you knew this only by watching the series or you read this here and on other forums/websites?
While I do believe it it's not guaranteed, still just a theory? And I don't know who first came up with it but I found it on the net and I myself wasn't a big believer until the El Lazo episode.

1) It's still just a theory as of now
2) And the discussion here started after episode 2, after someone shared a post on Reddit comparing the two logos

Top Bottom