• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Dmax3901

So, theory time. Bernard was a real person once, but Ford killed him because he was getting in the way of his motives. That person? Arnold. The host Bernard is just a recreation of Arnold and that picture that Ford showed to him, had him in it but he could not see himself because he is a host copy of Arnold and if he could, seeing himself there would fuck host Arnold-Bernard up pretty badly.

Also Ford is about to make a host replicant of Theresa and that's the host that he was printing in this secret room.

I just relayed this theory to my housemate and she literally screamed.

LifEndz

Delores: Have I done something wrong?
Bernard: No.
Delores: Have you?

I wonder if Delores was aware that Bernard is a host. And if so, does that mean other hosts will be able to see the same?

I have thoughts about Bernard being a robot after those dreams about his son, but wow! The last 10 minutes of this episode were outstanding.
And Anthony Hopkins is AMAZING!

The Mule

So maybe the Westworld location is out in the huge deserts in western China, or the Gobi desert in Mongolia. That would be remote even from major Chinese cities, and extremely remote for travelers/employees from the US. And if you were going to try a crazy huge project like this, China is probably one of the few plausible countries that would allow it.

Wasn't there a scene where Theresa was in a conference with someone speaking Chinese?

I think it's a bit of stretch to say the park is in China, but I wouldn't be surprised if China was THE super power of Earth and Delos is a Chinese owned company.

Also Ford is about to make a host replicant of Theresa and that's the host that he was printing in this secret room.
oh shit

It was interesting that when Bernard was giving the self awareness test to Hector, the city in the picture was Shanghai. The other pictures were a tech in a bunny suit and a high speed train, both images also potentially associated with China.

So maybe the Westworld location is out in the huge deserts in western China, or the Gobi desert in Mongolia. That would be remote even from major Chinese cities, and extremely remote for travelers/employees from the US. And if you were going to try a crazy huge project like this, China is probably one of the few plausible countries that would allow it.
I wonder if that test is after the escape of Maeve, with the rail being the connection to the nearest city shown? A sort of testing if any of the hosts will escape

i liked parts of that episode

hopkins slayed, as usual. tbh, his bits elevated the show by a marked distinction.

bernard's arc is as predicted by many. but he acted and delivered it well, i think

wasn't feeling dolores and william at all this week, their part feels somewhat weaker in comparison to ford/bernard/theresa/miss hale stuff

and still not quite buying maeve's arc. i donno. elsie has picked up on recording of some tech having sex with the hosts but maeve seems to have been up and down to the butcher's room and no one ever picked up? maybe if it was once or twice, okay, but seems like there's longer duration of time and frequency for her abberations with the butchers to have been at least detected by someone.

also i noticed that the two butchers' names are based on cartoon cats. felix the cat and sylvester from tweety and sylvester. kinda lol.

good episode. hopkins is such a treat <3

Speevy

Banned
Westworld (the place) seems like the biggest money sink in human history.

If it were a movie, it would be 800 billion dollars over budget.

Westworld (the place) seems like the biggest money sink in human history.

If it were a movie, it would be 800 billion dollars over budget.

it seems to be situated on a land size as big as a natural park. probably would cost a pretty penny. the maintenance and upkeep alone would be quite staggering, i think.

....pretty, though

The Mule

I really didn't enjoy the acting or writing for the board member this episode. She oozes sex appeal, but it was a wholly unlikeable performance. It was cartoon like.

Khoryos

I'm just going to point out that MiB mentioned fighting Ghost Nation braves with Lawrence when he saved him from the gallows.

Ford used the exact same term, "The situation demands a blood sacrifice" as the inspector lady did. She said, "The gods demand a blood sacrifice".

She got played and she knew she got played as that's exactly when she started freaking out.

That doesn't necessarily mean she's a host. It could mean all the rooms are bugged, or even when the hosts are deactivated he can still listen in.

duckroll

So, when Hale said that because of one of her predecessors Ford has managed to maintain control of the code, keeping it physically within the park for all these decades. Someone made a personal deal with him? Was it William?

The butchers seem heavily limited in their possibilities. They hardly have permissions, so they only see the bodies while it is the programming that seems mostly to be protected.

It sounded like the whole package to me. With that line about 'the skin on your back' being telling about what would happen to Maeve if she were to leave (probably dissolve or some other precaution against rogue hosts).

But why hide it? We saw Ford using robots as straight up slave labor on his agave plantation and in constructing a ~new story~. If you're going to have a robo workforce, just have a robo workforce.

Tthere would be no good reason why management would hire horny young men to do what hosts could do too. Oh wait, I just figured what the reason is: the hosts would question their dream if they were in that position, like Maeve has. So, at least we know that the butchers must be humans then.

I know it would be on the nose, but something should probably have established that more rigidly. The only thing they had was the one butcher say "I'm human" in dialogue, but that's not really enough to set the rule, I think.

@China stuff: that's probably more a Crichton reference than a location clue. Crichton believed back in the 70's and 80's that Japan would basically be taking over global economy and inserted that in pretty much every book of his, until the Japanese economy tanked in the 90's.

It's not on Earth, due to the fact that "there are no animals in Westword, except flies". And if it were on Earth, as Crichton did point out, life would find a way. Flies that may travel along with humans on their skin and / or clothing have entered Westworld (probably in the early stage), but the notable exclusion of human co-travelers such as rats, mice, lice (and everything nice! :D ), cats, plants, fungi, and so on, must mean it's not an Earth location. It's kind of like water management on sea levels: you can build a wall all you want, but it doesn't keep it out. It finds a way.

Kerned

Banned
I think that Bernard is definitely a robot version of Arnold, that much is clear.

What if Dolores of the past does something on her quest with William that gets Arnold killed? Maybe it's not Ford who offs him, but Dolores? Then he builds robo-Arbold (Bernard) out of grief.

This would shed a lot of light on the scene with Dolores where she asks Ford if they were old friends, and he gives a replies that he definitely doesn't think of her as a friend. The subtext of that scene for me was that Dolores had caused him some great harm in the past.

cLOUDo

So, if Bernard is a host that mean that in the picture with Ford and "Arnold" could be a third person and Bernard doesn't saw it as the same way he doesn't saw the door.

This would be another hint to the Bernard/arnorld theory, right?

Delores: Have I done something wrong?
Bernard: No.
Delores: Have you?

I wonder if Delores was aware that Bernard is a host. And if so, does that mean other hosts will be able to see the same?

This Scene Is A Flashforward, is After Theresa's Death

Third Timeline Confirmed
Boom.gif

So, if Bernard is a host that mean that in the picture with Ford and "Arnold" could be a third person and Bernard doesn't saw it as the same way he doesn't saw the door.
Correct. I'm thinking that Arnold's in that photo, and since Bernard is the host of Arnold, he's not able to see himself. I can't think of another explanation for why the photo is off center like that, and so much focus was placed on it.

duckroll

This would be another hint to the Bernard/arnorld theory, right?

Doesn't seem like anything to me.

MoeDabs

Correct. I'm thinking that Arnold's in that photo, and since Bernard is the host of Arnold, he's not able to see himself. I can't think of another explanation for why the photo is off center like that, and so much focus was placed on it.

I said it last week but...Bernard Lowe is an anagram of Arnold Weber. Seemed far fetched last week but Bernard being an original design and not knowing Arnold seems like an obvious hint.

jett

D-Member
I have to be honest, I'm not sure how much sense Bernard being a host makes. Then again, I just don't like the idea of Bernard not being real. I guess he killed Elsie too.

Anthony Hopkins being the real villain of the show is pretty cool though.

Haha Ford is one evil son of a bitch. I like it.
Anthony Hopkins is great at these kinds of roles. I'm glad they got him to do this.

He really is great in this. The robot fight scene and him just standing there observing is quite intense while the bernard reveal scene and the extreme close up of his face/expression as he menaces Theresa . He's really really is great in Westworld

Amazing show continues to churn out episode after episode filled with intrigue and tension.

jett

D-Member
Still weird to me that HBO hasn't renewed this. They renew everything ASAP, even shows with miserable ratings like Luck (even though it was cancelled eventually for other reasons). Maybe this is a one-season-only show?

Honestly, I don't think I liked this episode much at all. There were a lot of scenes with a whole lot of nothing in them. The corporate plot seems like it was just injected into the narrative started last week, I don't find it interesting or well written so far, and the Bernard reveal is just lol. I know it was foreshadowed, I know it's plausible, but it's still pretty stupid. There was some nice tension in the last scenes because Hopkins is fucking god-tier though, and the "what door" and "that doesn't seem anything to me" lines were pretty good, but at this point I just want the "reveals" to be over with so we can get to stuff moving forward. Maeve's "plan" totally stalled this week she went from going "I wanna make some changes" last week to "I wanna make some changes" this week. Padding is a pet peeve of mine in writing and this week was just filled with it. Everything was framed around the big reveal at the end and I think the rest of the episode suffered for it.

I think as this show advances I like it less. I also want it to get it over with the mysteries. It's not interesting, it's frustrating.

This is Lost all over again.

If it's revealed that it's indeed Arnold (not Bernard) that has been talking to Dolores throughout the show...then this show is just a mess to me in terms of juggling timelines. None of how it's edited makes any sense. Like duckroll said, it's purposefully (and pointlessly) dishonest.

jett

D-Member
You know the bad thing about writing a twist like this? It continues to highlight the artificiality of writing stories with large time gaps between two major events. So Dolores has been doing her loop for 30 years or so without any deviation, until -now- because the story requires it. Arnold somehow doesn't act for 30 years for some reason? But that's okay. It's more believable that something triggered Arnold to start acting now.

But isn't this in the past, with a young MIB/William lol?

What is Dolores doing in the present-time anyway. We haven't seen her at all.

blakep267

Still weird to me that HBO hasn't renewed this. They renew everything ASAP, even shows with miserable ratings like Luck (even though it was cancelled eventually for other reasons). Maybe this is a one-season-only show?

I think as this show advances I like it less. I also want it to get it over with the mysteries. It's not interesting, it's frustrating.

If it's revealed that it's indeed Arnold (not Bernard) that has been talking to Dolores throughout the show...then this show is just a mess to me in terms of juggling timelines. None of how it's edited makes any sense. Like duckroll said, it's purposefully (and pointlessly) dishonest.
Yes it could be just one season. I mean it doesn't scream a show that needs 5 seasons to tell the story etc. the mib will likely find whatever he is looking for by seasons end, things will be resolved with Dolores and William, Maeve might escape or whatever, and Bernard and ford will have their stories end. There aren't a ton of things to wrap up

MoeDabs

The editing has purposely been misleading. I have been saying this for awhile now. What part do you take issue with?

duckroll

So Nolan seems convinced they will be renewed at least... plus... no oxygen... spacenoids confirmed?!

Finally, a couple of host-mechanics questions I’ve wondering about, that seem like they might be increasingly relevant: Can you say how are the hosts powered? Like do they need to recharge? Do they eat?

Nolan: Their construction and their power source is something we’re really going to get into during season 2. So we’d like to keep that mysterious. They’re closer to biological than they are to mechanical, but they don’t suffer brain death the same way we do. They’re largely indistinguishable from a human beings, but their brains don’t require oxygen — which opens up interesting possibilities. Their brains are not as fragile as ours. On one hand, their cognition is controllable and malleable, but on a structural level they can’t be killed in the same way you and I can. There are advantages and disadvantages to being a host. Season 2 we’ll be exploring more the nuts and bolts of what they are— as the hosts themselves are trying to understand.

cLOUDo

About Elsie...
there is an image in the trailer in where she kiss Maeve's worker (forget his name)
so i suppose she is fine (at least she is replaced with a host :p

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
it seems to be situated on a land size as big as a natural park. probably would cost a pretty penny. the maintenance and upkeep alone would be quite staggering, i think.

....pretty, though

When you have enough human-level AIs to make a small army just for fun, they can probably handle the upkeep and maintenance.

jett

D-Member
All of the editing? That's unfortunate

I mean, the way they're just randomly switching between different timelines/flashbacks without any apparent rhyme or reason, besides keeping the audience in the dark for reasons.

I guess maybe it'll make more sense and appear better fit together on a rewatch after the finale. I do hope they get it over with the reveals this season, if this show is even going to get multiple seasons.

MZoon

Neo Member
As much as I love Maeve's performance and character, these two idiots with her are really hurting the show. WTF is this writing? even if they're hosts and their idiocy has a reason it still doesn't make a sense. Really unfortunate considering everything else is amazing.
Also I'm not excited about multiple seasons. Was hoping it would just have a great contained story.

jett

D-Member
As much as I love Maeve's performance and character, these two idiots with her are really hurting the show. WTF is this writing? even if they're hosts and their idiocy has a reason it still doesn't make a sense. Really unfortunate considering everything else is amazing.
Also I'm not excited about multiple seasons. Was hoping it would just have a great contained story.

Those two goons are easily the lowest part of the show.

Qvoth

just saw the episode
motherfucking shit
hoooooly fuck
funny thing is, i read this exact same theory last week but nothing came up then so i dismissed it

duckroll

I mean, the way they're just randomly switching between different timelines/flashbacks without any apparent rhyme or reason, besides keeping the audience in the dark for reasons.

I guess maybe it'll make more sense and appear better fit together on a rewatch after the finale. I do hope they get it over with the reveals this season, if this show is even going to get multiple seasons.

I wouldn't say it is random, just designed to be misleading. It's actually pretty easy to see it come together if you pick a pet theory and stick with it, but that requires investment into it being a mystery centric puzzle box show. It canbe frustrating.

I don't expect the style to change in future seasons either. This is how Nolan writes. Each season will just have different central mysteries.

Solo

Saw the Bernard twist coming a mile away but as soon as he said "what door?" I still got the chills. That scene was so well done.

To be fair, "what door" was the twist. That's when you knew he was a host.

Also, related to that scene, I recall last week people were grumbling about Ford seemingly appearing out of nowhere when Bernard discovered the cabin. Some were calling it a production error or sloppy editing. Turns out he just slipped in through the door that Bernard wasn't programmed to see.

It also explains why Ford was never really worried about any of Bernard's digging or discoveries, as he controlled Bernard.

When you have enough human-level AIs to make a small army just for fun, they can probably handle the upkeep and maintenance.

i guess?

i donno how money even works anymore in their future. so i guess, yeah, another thing i will roll with, for ww to hold plausibility :3

Ruruja

"What door?"

giphy.gif

Top Bottom