• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Daemul

I suspected that Bernard was a host but the reveal still left me legit shook.

From now on I'm just going to automatically assume that everyone on this show is a host. Ford has clearly been playing his game of 4th dimensional chess for a long while now and has probably even infiltrated the board with his host plants.

MoeDabs

I mean, the way they're just randomly switching between different timelines/flashbacks without any apparent rhyme or reason, besides keeping the audience in the dark for reasons.

I guess maybe it'll make more sense and appear better fit together on a rewatch after the finale. I do hope they get it over with the reveals this season, if this show is even going to get multiple seasons.

I wouldn't say it is random, just designed to be misleading. It's actually pretty easy to see it come together if you pick a pet theory and stick with it, but that requires investment into it being a mystery centric puzzle box show. It canbe frustrating.

I don't expect the style to change in future seasons either. This is how Nolan writes. Each season will just have different central mysteries.

I feel like the show has been very deliberate in its use of editing. Like duckroll said, picking a theory and watching it develop helps, but I still never had a problem with it.

Solo

I think (and I sure as hell hope) there won't be any more character-we-thought-was-human-was-actually-a-host reveals. I feel like you can only play that card once for it to be effective. Doing it with Bernard made sense, especially if he's Arnold. In any other future case it will just look like a parlour trick.

Elandyll

Banned
Great ep.

With everybody focusing on the Bernard reveal and Teresa's fate, I wanted to touch a bit about DOlores' and William's story arc.

Anyone else reminded of Teddy's story arc when William was saying he had to go back because he has a fiance?

How weird would 8t be if William=MiB is confirmed, that Teddy's narrative (hinted at since the dropped can event) is entirely based on your own person. Would you hate the robot portraying yourself (as MiB seemingly does, although he seems to be warming up, specially in the light of "I don't know you as well as I thought".

"What's behind this door"

"What door"

Let out an "o shit" after that
That was me. My eyes grew twice their size at that moment, with the thought of him being a host almost a certainty. Ending was incredible, I loved it. Having the man she likely loved IMO kill her is such a fucked up way to screw with someone. Really messed up, makes for great writing though.

If he makes Theresa, that would be even more messed up lol..

Westworld (the place) seems like the biggest money sink in human history.

If it were a movie, it would be 800 billion dollars over budget.

This ep made it clear Delos cares much more about the Westworld IP and storylines than the park itself. All of this shit with the board is to get Ford out before he hits the delete key on a bunch of content. It's really a brilliant commentary on the "content is king" corporate culture we live in. Except the content creator in this case currently enjoys substantial control, which is the real fantasy of the show.

Ford is Kojima, Westworld is MGSV, and Delos wants to get Ford away from his creations to make Westworld slot machines.

Solo

This ep made it clear Delos cares much more about the Westworld IP and storylines than the park itself.

Are you sure? The way I read into it was that they didn't care at all about the hosts, storylines, IP or the park. What they did care about was the AI and tech.

Matty77

I think that Bernard is definitely a robot version of Arnold, that much is clear.

What if Dolores of the past does something on her quest with William that gets Arnold killed? Maybe it's not Ford who offs him, but Dolores? Then he builds robo-Arbold (Bernard) out of grief.

This would shed a lot of light on the scene with Dolores where she asks Ford if they were old friends, and he gives a replies that he definitely doesn't think of her as a friend. The subtext of that scene for me was that Dolores had caused him some great harm in the past.
Arnold was already dead by the time William gets to the park, even if it was 30 years ago.

Arnold died 34, years ago, and part of the reason they are their is Logan tells him the park was created by partners but one died mysteriously and they are bleeding money and ripe for a takeover.

Plus Dolores was Arnold's plan to destroy the park after his death.

I mean, the way they're just randomly switching between different timelines/flashbacks without any apparent rhyme or reason, besides keeping the audience in the dark for reasons.

I guess maybe it'll make more sense and appear better fit together on a rewatch after the finale. I do hope they get it over with the reveals this season, if this show is even going to get multiple seasons.

Woah...you really think there's no rhyme or reason to the editing? Look closer. Most of the time scenes usually lead to one another and offer hints/insights to some mysteries.

Nodnol

I know Hopkins played it brilliantly sinister, but I don't get the "Ford is evil" thing.

I'm rooting for the robot uprising, and Ford wanting to stick it to the man is fine by me in the mean time.

Are you sure? The way I read into it was that they didn't care at all about the hosts, storylines, IP or the park. What they did care about was the AI and tech.

Maybe I missed something, but the impression I felt was that Ford is obsessed with story telling. That's the only thing Ford could potentially "destroy" at any given moment. AI and tech is something a company like Delos would be already able to exploit if they wanted as they own the park. An employee like Elsie would take a promotion and work without Ford and essentially do whatever Delos asks wherever they ask her.

I wonder if Bernard was really doing coding and creative work, or if that was Ford behind the scenes. Because making machines that can make better machines is the tipping point for an AI takeover.

Pooya

Ford probably uploaded his brain to a host too and pushed all the attributes to max, why wouldn't he? they're superior right.

I'm not sure why Ford would capture Elsie though, she was looking into Delos dirt not Ford. hmm. She's not a host... yet.

MoeDabs

I know Hopkins played it brilliantly sinister, but I don't get the "Ford is evil" thing.

I'm rooting for the robot uprising, and Ford wanting to stick it to the man is fine by me in the mean time.

Not evil? He just had his coworker murdered, possibly even replacing her with a host.

Maybe I missed something, but the impression I felt was that Ford is obsessed with story telling. That's the only thing Ford could potentially "destroy" at any given moment. AI and tech is something a company like Delos would be already able to exploit if they wanted as they own the park. An employee like Elsie would take a promotion and work without Ford and essentially do whatever Delos asks wherever they ask to her.

Pretty sure Delos just wants the code/AI. They give no fucks about Fords storyline other than its using a bunch of Delos resources.

Matty77

Maybe I missed something, but the impression I felt was that Ford is obsessed with story telling. That's the only thing Ford could potentially "destroy" at any given moment. AI and tech is something a company like Delos would be already able to exploit if they wanted as they own the park. An employee like Elsie would take a promotion and work without Ford and essentially do whatever Delos asks wherever they ask to her.
It's the tech and AI they want the reason they are afraid of Ford destroying everything is because the code is all in the park, hence the stealing code. They even say in the episode they have no clue how the hosts work so they need to placate Ford without him destroying all his work so they can actually be in control and figure out the code that drives the tech and A.I.

I think you will find the kicker is Ford doesn't really know either, the secret of how it all really works died with Arnold.

KingKong

The annoying thing about the twist is that the things that seemed like clever metaphors (our past defining us like how it defines hosts, facial expressions betraying what we're thinking) just turned out to be because Bernard was a robot all along

duckroll

Maybe I missed something, but the impression I felt was that Ford is obsessed with story telling. That's the only thing Ford could potentially "destroy" at any given moment. AI and tech is something a company like Delos would be already able to exploit if they wanted as they own the park. An employee like Elsie would take a promotion and work without Ford and essentially do whatever Delos asks wherever they ask her.

AI tech doesn't quite work like that. Elsie's experience is relatively useless without the actual code. AI matures over when allowed to develop and iterate and learn. Ford has some deal which locks all the code inside the park itself.

I want Jeffrey Wright and Anthony Hopkins and Evan Rachel Wood to win all the awards.
Jeffrey Wright is at the top of his game. I love every scene he's in. Hopkins is, of course, fantastic. Evan is mesmerizing.

Hell, Jimmi Simpson is also great. Ed Harris. Thandie.

The list goes on and on. This cast is perfect.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The Bernard-Dolores interactions does have Bernard wearing that black trenchcoat thing, which might suggest it's actually Arnold. We shall see.

So does this mean there are at least THREE timelines?

1. Arnold coaching Dolores
2. The Adventures of McPoyle and Dolores
3. Maeve/MiB/Mad scientist Ford/Bernard

Pretty cheap to have editing tricks obscure three timelines like this just for shock value at the end of the season.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
At least it explains why they don't just make robots outside the park and have them be soldiers or servants or whatever you'd use them for. Imagine catering to the whims of a crazy man for 30 years in hopes that you can finally cash in on the technology after he dies.

X-Frame

Regarding the MiB = young William theory, it all makes sense to me except how if true then Dolores has been close to questioning her reality for 30+ years? Or was that how she was designed and programmed by Arnold?

So then she was able to shoot someone back then with young William and then again in the "present" in the barn.

duckroll

So for the season finale, what do you think we'll be looking at? It's 91 minutes, so basically a TV movie finale.

I'm thinking:
- Dolores/William get into the deepest part of the park (PAST)
- Dolores/MiB get into the deepest part of the park (PRESENT)
- Maeve leads her rebellion and breaks out, showing us a glimpse of where Westworld really is
- Both the parties going IN and OUT are playing into Ford's masterplan which he has been setting up, to draw Arnold out
- Bernard comes to terms with the truth behind Arnold

Am I right in thinking its actually Arnold interviewing Dolores in the past, and everything else is Bernard in the present?
It never made sense when she was interviewed but then a few scenes later she was out with William and Logan.

Mariolee

So, theory time. Bernard was a real person once, but Ford killed him because he was getting in the way of his motives. That person? Arnold. The host Bernard is just a recreation of Arnold and that picture that Ford showed to him, had him in it but he could not see himself because he is a host copy of Arnold and if he could, seeing himself there would fuck host Arnold-Bernard up pretty badly.

Also Ford is about to make a host replicant of Theresa and that's the host that he was printing in this secret room.

Thank you for catching up to the last five pages of theories. :)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm kind of assuming the situation is something like this:

1 Arnold and Ford brainstorm lifelike androids, with Arnold being the programmer who designs a strategy for lifelike AI and Ford being the engineer and designer for the hosts physically and planner for the park.

2 Arnold becomes obsessed with making strong AI and like a lot of obsessives he doesn't share everything with Ford, particularly if Ford thought it was a waste of time. Arnold dies, and Ford discovers the source, or what have you, for the base program in the hosts' digital brains can't be found. They can obviously copy and distribute it since brand new hosts can be printed from scratch. But they can't modify it past a certain point and don't know how it works.

3 Delos came up with ideas for how the technology could be valuable beyond entertainment and consider the park live research and development. An ongoing public beta test where the guests don't know they're testers. Ford simultaneously spars with Delos for control, and becomes fixated on what Arnold was trying to do. Perhaps he knows Dolores is special, the focus of Arnold's experiment. Maybe Bernard was created in part so that Ford could examine the interaction of one AI interrogating other AIs, looking for clues as to how the hosts actually work.

4 The "new storyline" Ford is planning might be the culmination of Ford's observations of how the hosts think. Maybe he wants to create a scenario that finally brings something out, or reveals secrets doesn't know. Perhaps Ford thinks "The Maze" leads to a back door Arnold built into the base programming. Or perhaps he suspects it is part of an experiment Dolores was designed to run and Ford wants to see its conclusion.

boxter432

So for the season finale, what do you think we'll be looking at? It's 91 minutes, so basically a TV movie finale.

I'm thinking:
- Dolores/William get into the deepest part of the park (PAST)
- Dolores/MiB get into the deepest part of the park (PRESENT)
- Maeve leads her rebellion and breaks out, showing us a glimpse of where Westworld really is
- Both the parties going IN and OUT are playing into Ford's masterplan which he has been setting up, to draw Arnold out
- Bernard comes to terms with the truth behind Arnold

do you mean Teddy/MiB? where's Dolores in the Teddy badass timeline?

Still weird to me that HBO hasn't renewed this. They renew everything ASAP, even shows with miserable ratings like Luck (even though it was cancelled eventually for other reasons). Maybe this is a one-season-only show?
I still remain very confident that they're going to renew it, but I'm also surprised that they haven't done it yet. I think a lot of it comes down to HBO having new management, and they're being a little more cautious about renewing programming. Particularly in this case because it represents a huge investment for them. (Last I checked, estimates had Westworld at ~10% of their production budget.) The only other show they're spending that much on is GoT, and that's clearly a winner that drives their subscription base.

Perhaps they just want more information before officially making the decision about it. The Sunday night timeslot has been littered with high profile competition this Fall (The Walking Dead, presidential debate, NFL, etc...), and HBO wants to get a better idea of the time-shifted numbers and staying power for Westworld. We don't have access to much of that information, so it's tricky to say how the show is performing aside from the same day numbers holding up pretty well so far.

Also, note that Bloys, the new HBO president, has spoken favorably about the show's ratings:
Bloys said:
I want to get a very complete picture of the ratings, which seem to be doing very well, so we’re happy with that. [The executive producers are] going to talk to us about what they envision a second season being. But right now I would say it’s looking really good. We’re very pleased with how it’s doing.
In addition, a few of the cast and the producers have said similar things about Season 2.

Back to waiting...

Top Bottom