• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Hidden door magically materializing in front of viewers prove that they've been giving us skewed perspective all along. Can't trust anything you've seen from a host perspective, even if you didn't know they were a host. Makes me want to go back and watch every Bernard scene again

It almost works on some deeper level, giving the viewer the frustrations that would exist as a host if you cannot trust your own eyes
The picture

tmg-article_tall.jpg

Now it's pretty clear it's himself/Arnold standing in that blank space, just like he couldnt see the host blueprint of himself in this episode

Kraftwerk

One of the signs says "Westworld: A Delos Experience" or something like that, so perhaps there are other "experiences" out there.

But for pure dollars and cents, no way is HBO going to sink another $100M into a medieval theme or whatever when they've got all those existing western sets/costumes built.

Yeha I think you're right. They would have to spend a ton. The sets from Deadwood and Rome are definitely long gone.

I'm really curious where the show goes season 2.

The picture of the futuristic world they showed that host intrigued me. I dunno if that was the outdoor world and how the cities look like or if it was futureworld.

Arkeband

Banned
The reveal of Bernard was perfect because there are two kinds of viewers:

A) Those who suspected Bernard was a host
B) Those who didn't

When Bernard entered the house and Theresa pointed out the door and he said "what door", that was a nod to Group A. Because he then walked through the door and continued talking about the basement, so it's still not conclusive - maybe he was saying that just to get her to go through it because neither of them should be there.

But then when the papers showing Bernard are revealed, that is the conclusive reveal for both A and B, with the gut punch line "It doesn't look like anything to me."

So they rewarded perceptive viewers with a tease that then is confirmed for everyone roughly one minute later.

I'm excited to see how the other reveals are done.

Violet_0

Banned
Alternatively Kissy having the maze tattoo on the inside of his scalp might suggest Ford is controlling all aspects of the maze but that's boring to me so I'll ship my own theory on it. Either kissy is an original or Arnold has can influence the creation of new hosts somehow [Ghost in the machine style]

Ford seemed genuinely surprised when he saw the maze symbol on the poker table in the Mexican village. I think it's safe to assume the maze is Arnold's invention, not Ford's

B) Those who didn't

When Bernard entered the house and Theresa pointed out the door and he said "what door", that was a nod to Group A. Because he then walked through the door and continued talking about the basement, so it's still not conclusive - maybe he was saying that just to get her to go through it because neither of them should be there.

But then when the papers showing Bernard are revealed, that is the conclusive reveal for both A and B, with the gut punch line "It doesn't look like anything to me."

So they rewarded perceptive viewers with a tease that then is confirmed for everyone roughly one minute later.

I'm excited to see how the other reveals are done.
It was haunting, tense, and heartbreaking when it could have been corny and cheap. Maybe it is cheap but it's been telegraphed for episodes now especially when you go back and rewatch scenes especially between him and Ford.

I have hope that Bernard = Arnold/William = MIB/flashbacks will be treated with such craft as well

Pooya

The basement, is the same as the one where he talks to Dolores too. He's been there before and we've been told that Arnold built the house and those hosts in it, Bernard is hundred percent Arnold as it appears.

The thing is, why Ford risked making him when everyone knows Arnold is dead. Maybe someone has seen Arnold or maybe Arnold wasn't exactly a person. No one has seen him, even a picture of him you overhear in one of the earlier episodes then they show that picture at the same time. Something is up. You can bet someone else has seen the picture in Ford's office too but they just assumed it was Bernard? Bernard they say has been here forever too but what about his age and appearance? He doesn't age I take it.

I'm going to guess Arnold was always a program, not a guy, that's how Ford claims I built everything here, including Arnold.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Still weird to me that HBO hasn't renewed this. They renew everything ASAP, even shows with miserable ratings like Luck (even though it was cancelled eventually for other reasons). Maybe this is a one-season-only show?

I think as this show advances I like it less. I also want it to get it over with the mysteries. It's not interesting, it's frustrating.

This is Lost all over again.

If it's revealed that it's indeed Arnold (not Bernard) that has been talking to Dolores throughout the show...then this show is just a mess to me in terms of juggling timelines. None of how it's edited makes any sense. Like duckroll said, it's purposefully (and pointlessly) dishonest.

It's a show that costs as much to film as Game of Thrones but doesn't justify it with Game of Thrones ratings. It will probably get a renewal, but unless the last three episodes are so crazy good that the buzz gets way higher, there's always a chance it might not.

I'm going to guess Arnold was always a program, not a guy, that's how Ford claims I built everything here, including Arnold.

That would certainly work thematically and even tie into the movie.

Would also explain how it appears that no one, not even Ford truly understands how the hosts work.

Still weird to me that HBO hasn't renewed this. They renew everything ASAP, even shows with miserable ratings like Luck (even though it was cancelled eventually for other reasons). Maybe this is a one-season-only show?

I think as this show advances I like it less. I also want it to get it over with the mysteries. It's not interesting, it's frustrating.

This is Lost all over again.

If it's revealed that it's indeed Arnold (not Bernard) that has been talking to Dolores throughout the show...then this show is just a mess to me in terms of juggling timelines. None of how it's edited makes any sense. Like duckroll said, it's purposefully (and pointlessly) dishonest.

HBO likes to give basically everything two seasons. BUT: they got burned HARD by renewing Vinyl and then having to cancel it (because it sucked). So as of fairly recently, they're much much more cautious about renewing shows.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I just think the "what door?" moment was super cleverly done because of how it catered to people who were following along really well, but it also didn't matter if you were a more casual viewer who missed the potential significance of the line because they actually resolved it ~2 minutes later.

If this were an episode of Lost, he's have said it, then gone through the door when Theresa forced him to, and then it would have flashed to black and said LOST when they saw the lab. And then the resolution with Ford wouldn't have happened until there were 30 minutes of flashbacks in the next episode.

duckroll

It's a show that costs as much to film as Game of Thrones but doesn't justify it with Game of Thrones ratings. It will probably get a renewal, but unless the last three episodes are so crazy good that the buzz gets way higher, there's always a chance it might not.

Wrong way of looking at it. A network like HBO isn't looking at the money they're spending and expecting a specific equal result compared to something else. What they're looking for is a successful show for a given demographic range. It only becomes competitive if there is a ton of other stuff HBO could spend their money on to go after that same demographic instead. They don't. The network is low on on production value nerd shows. They have Game of Thrones and that's it. It's ending in 2 years no matter what. They want something else that can keep at least a portion of that audience happy.

If Westworld is tanking hard (< 1 million viewers) then it is certainly at risk. But it's doing way better than Vinyl, actually has solid critical reception, and is generating a lot of water cooler buzz online. That sort of thing is very valuation to HBO as it competes with other pay networks with premium series like Netflix and Amazon.

The chance of it not getting renewed are very, very slim, simply because HBO is really lacking in options for dramas to begin with.

If this were an episode of Lost, he's have said it, then gone through the door when Theresa forced him to, and then it would have flashed to black and said LOST when they saw the lab. And then the resolution with Ford wouldn't have happened until there were 30 minutes of flashbacks in the next episode.

Well yes, actually that's exactly what would happen if this were an episode of Lost, because the episode would be 45 minutes long instead of an hour. Lol! :D

B) Those who didn't

I actually didn't suspect it at all until he said "What door?" At which point I was just going over it in my head until it was revealed. I thought they did a good job with it.

Solo

So......if hosts are programmed to not see things that will hurt them, as we now know, who tinkered with Papa Abernathy's code to let him see the picture he dug up, and for what purpose?

Combine that with Bernard (Arnold?) whispering something to him before he went into cold storage, and one has to wonder....

Angry Grimace

Wrong way of looking at it. A network like HBO isn't looking at the money they're spending and expecting a specific equal result compared to something else. What they're looking for is a successful show for a given demographic range. It only becomes competitive if there is a ton of other stuff HBO could spend their money on to go after that same demographic instead. They don't. The network is low on on production value nerd shows. They have Game of Thrones and that's it. It's ending in 2 years no matter what. They want something else that can keep at least a portion of that audience happy.

If Westworld is tanking hard (< 1 million viewers) then it is certainly at risk. But it's doing way better than Vinyl, actually has solid critical reception, and is generating a lot of water cooler buzz online. That sort of thing is very valuation to HBO as it competes with other pay networks with premium series like Netflix and Amazon.

The chance of it not getting renewed are very, very slim, simply because HBO is really lacking in options for dramas to begin with.

Casey Bloys: "Okay, we have to make the decision on what we're going to renew. What do the Westworld ratings look like?"
Board Member: "Here's the ratings for the show over the season."
Bloys: "...it doesn't look like anything."

CANCELLED

LOST

Well yes, actually that's exactly what would happen if this were an episode of Lost, because the episode would be 45 minutes long instead of an hour. Lol! :D
Actually, it wouldn't even be the next episode. The next episode would just be a day-in-the-life episode for Luke Hemsworth and some meaningless part of his backstory before they ever got back to the resolution of the cliffhanger.

So the picture is bothering me a bit. I rewatched the scene, I think we all assume Arnold is in the blank space on the left and Bernard couldn't see him. But that picture was just casually sitting on Ford's desk. Wouldn't a secret that gigantic require a little extra caution than just leaving proof around that Bernard is a robot on your desk. Also that picture shows his robot dad which is supposed to be a secret as well. Just there out in the open for anyone to see.

Solo

I'm also even more intrigued by Abernathy's "I'll exact such revenges on you.....both of you" line as he looked at Ford and then Bernard in the pilot this week, as it does seem that Bernard is Arnold.

At the end of episode 1 or somewhere in episode 2 Bernard tells Ford they retired the two malfunctioning hosts. One is Mr. Abernathy, who the hell is the other? Milk guy is seen again later on? Head of the bounty group is seen later. Dolores?

I'm also even more intrigued by Abernathy's "I'll exact such revenges on you.....both of you" line as he looked at Ford and then Bernard in the pilot this week, as it does seem that Bernard is Arnold.
Seriously, they've been laying the groundwork for this since episode 1

Paganmoon

I hate that HBONow for PS3/PS4 doesn't support 5.1 and it isn't worth bringing the Apple TV from the bedroom just for that reason.

Strange, HBO Nordic app on the PS4 has 5.1 option (but other than that, it's a shit app, with a shit interface, and shit subtitles that can't be color changed, or have shadows added to them, so white background scenes = no subtitles).

is that the room where Bernard's been talking to Dolores?

Definitely looks like it.

so was Delos rep lady a host, too?

Thought Ford repeating "demands a blood sacrifice" sort of confirmed it. Though, I'm not sure if that would suggest For has hosts out in the wild. Then again, could be he caught that bit of dialog from Hector, but yeah, the scene dis suggest it at least.

Angry Grimace

Rewatched it and the ending made me so sad for Bernard. Talking about his son, the dreams. :(

I suspect that going forward the revelation is a lot more interesting for Bernard's character arc since I hardly expect him to be Ford's puppet for terribly long.

In fact, I don't suspect Ford makes it through the season.

Thought Ford repeating "demands a blood sacrifice" sort of confirmed it. Though, I'm not sure if that would suggest For has hosts out in the wild. Then again, could be he caught that bit of dialog from Hector, but yeah, the scene dis suggest it at least.

Nah, I think the implication is that he was able to listen in via Hector.

So......if hosts are programmed to not see things that will hurt them, as we now know, who tinkered with Papa Abernathy's code to let him see the picture he dug up, and for what purpose?

Combine that with Bernard (Arnold?) whispering something to him before he went into cold storage, and one has to wonder....

I think it was last episode? Maybe the one before that, where Ford is talking to child Ford Host after they find the dead dog. Ford Host admits in analysis that he killed the dog because a voice told him to which seemed to surprise Ford so unless Ford has multiple personalities it seems there is another character controlling things from the shadows who knows about Fords Host family which is a big secret. The only one who comes to mind is Arnold but not Bernard-Arnold, a separate character or consciousness controlling things from the shadows, messing with Ford from the shadows.

Arnold is likely the one who influenced Abernathy

Arkeband

Banned
So the picture is bothering me a bit. I rewatched the scene, I think we all assume Arnold is in the blank space on the left and Bernard couldn't see him. But that picture was just casually sitting on Ford's desk. Wouldn't a secret that gigantic require a little extra caution than just leaving proof around that Bernard is a robot on your desk. Also that picture shows his robot dad which is supposed to be a secret as well. Just there out in the open for anyone to see.

Well no one knows the existence of the robot dad so it doesn't really matter who he is in the photograph (unless they found the robot dad, at which point Ford's in trouble regardless).

But yeah, Bernard being in the picture with young Robert Ford would be suspicious AF.

I suspect that going forward the revelation is a lot more interesting for Bernard's character arc since I hardly expect him to be Ford's puppet for terribly long.

He is in a prison of his own sins, as papa Abernathy said. I think it would only be fitting that Ford's home made kingdom rebels and bites him in the ass.

Violet_0

Banned

he's #2 on my "will probably die" list, right after Ed Harris

John_B

That "what door" moment was heartbreaking. Brilliant reveal. I think "hold the door" still tops it for best door scene though.

Hopkins is killing it. Murdering everyone else except for Harris. It would be a mistake to not have him on for a couple of more seasons.

Angry Grimace

The problem with Bernard being a host-clone of Arnold is that it would make Ford the biggest idiot of all time. What would Ford possibly have to gain by making Bernard look just like Arnold?

I don't suspect that Ford's motivations are being a generic bad guy who does evil shit for the lolz.

So Arnold is most likely Bernard, after rewatching his scenes with Dolores you can see his demeanor is different when he is in the basement room with Dolores and the line of question definetly lines up with what Arnold believed in.

But for that to work literally everyone that knew who Arnold was had to have died. Meaning every single person who worked at the park was killed. How does a park survive after that?

Clearly no one has any info on Arnold. Everyone references him as some mystery with no name or concrete info just that "he died". So what kind of events could happen for the co owner and programmer of one of the most advanced theme park ever built to basically be erased.

CassSept

'I hope you will be careful with Bernard. He has a.... sensitive disposition'

AdmHB21.gif

That was one theory that I didn't believe, but well, what do I know. With all that William was saying this episode being almost paraphrasing MiB's "I was born here" I'm fully on-board that theory.

Great episode and Anthony Hopkins is just stunning. Unreal.

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere on the last 5-6 pages, but am I the only one that caught that
Charlotte
also appears to be a host?
The lady from the board that was having sex with the other host when Theresa walked in.

I could be wrong, but they did drop a pretty big clue

Solo

RE: the picture and keeping Arnold as Bernard a secret in the wide open.....we're all assuming that Bernard, in addition to "being" Arnold, looks like him too, but that doesn't have to be the case. Ford is a smart man. If he's playing god and re-creating his dead partner as a host secretly, and trying not to raise a ton of red flags, it would make sense for him to make Bernard look nothing like Arnold.

TyrantII

I think it was last episode? Maybe the one before that, where Ford is talking to child Ford Host after they find the dead dog. Ford Host admits in analysis that he killed the dog because a voice told him to which seemed to surprise Ford so unless Ford has multiple personalities it seems there is another character controlling things from the shadows who knows about Fords Host family which is a big secret. The only one who comes to mind is Arnold but not Bernard-Arnold, a separate character or consciousness controlling things from the shadows, messing with Ford from the shadows.

Arnold is likely the one who influenced Abernathy

Starting to get a feeling Arnold is the Singularity. He's in the systems.

The maze is a turing test for the hosts, but he's also at the center.

So Arnold is most likely Bernard, after rewatching his scenes with Dolores you can see his demeanor is different when he is in the basement room with Dolores and the line of question definetly lines up with what Arnold believed in.

But for that to work literally everyone that knew who Arnold was had to have died. Meaning every single person who worked at the park was killed. How does a park survive after that?

Clearly no one has any info on Arnold. Everyone references him as some mystery with no name or concrete info just that "he died". So what kind of events could happen for the co owner and programmer of one of the most advanced theme park ever built to basically be erased.

While I'm only like 40% on the Arnold is an AI created by Ford train, that theory does lend credence to the mysterious origin of Arnold and why no one has anything on him.

In the opposite direction however, the details regarding Bernard's wife and son seem more than trivial. Another gaffer pointed out that the scene with his son seemed to show hospital equipment from maybe the present but not from current time period. Seems a small detail but if you're Ford and creating a backstory for Bernard why give him a memory with his son that doesn't make temporal sense? I think that's Arnold's memory and that Arnold was in fact a flesh and blood man at one time. Theory doesn't answer Arnold's mysterious origins though

Paganmoon

Nah, I think the implication is that he was able to listen in via Hector.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the lesser it makes sense for the rep being a host.

About the 3D printing host in the end, Bernard mentioned it takes a few days for it to make a host, it seemed like it had worked for a while at least, could that be an Elsie print that Ford already started, or does he have so much forethought that he started printing a Theresa host so far in advance?

Arkeband

Banned
I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere on the last 5-6 pages, but am I the only one that caught that
Charlotte
also appears to be a host?
The lady from the board that was having sex with the other host when Theresa walked in.

I could be wrong, but they did drop a pretty big clue

Do you mind cluing us in?

Angry Grimace

The Delos Rep being a host makes no sense unless Ford had an overly complicated plan to kill Theresa for almost no discernible reason. Theresa personally had no particular interest in doing anything but running the park and Theresa's act of siphoning park data was done almost entirely at the Delos Rep's behest.

Do you mind cluing us in?

Sure. When Ford told Theresa "We need a blood sacrifice" in the basement. That was the exact same thing Charlotte told Theresa. The only way this isn't an ungoldy coincidence is if Ford programmed her to say that. You could see the look in Theresa's eyes as he said those words, as if she realized "holy shit he's already got the board under his control" because she was recalling how Charlotte said those exact same words to her. And then the meaning of Charlotte's "no, that would be too obvious, we need something more surprising" became clear. She was the intended victim all along.

Top Bottom