• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Solo

Cornballer needs to update the title ;)

Sure. When Ford told Theresa "We need a blood sacrifice". That was the exact same thing Charlotte told Theresa. The only way this isn't an ungoldy coincidence is if Ford programmed her to say that. You could see the look in Theresa's eyes as he said those words, as if she realized "holy shit he's already got the board under his control" because she was recalling how Charlotte said those exact same words to her. And then the meaning of Charlotte's "no, that would be too obvious, we need something more surprising" became clear. She was the intended victim all along.

Hector, the host she was having sex with, recorded the convo. Ford listened to it and quoted it because he wanted Theresa to know before she died how utterly he dominated her and the game.

Charlotte is a human though.

Board Rep is human and personally I don't think Ford is trying to replace Theresa. Theresa likely leaves the park at times and sending a host into the outside world would be so dangerous as they could easily walk into things and instances where them being a host gets revealed.

RE: the picture and keeping Arnold as Bernard a secret in the wide open.....we're all assuming that Bernard, in addition to "being" Arnold, looks like him too, but that doesn't have to be the case. Ford is a smart man. If he's playing god and re-creating his dead partner as a host secretly, and trying not to raise a ton of red flags, it would make sense for him to make Bernard look nothing like Arnold.

That makes the Clothed Delores/ Bernard-Arnold basement scenes questionable

Best theory is they are currently Dolores flashbacks to talking with Arnold ~35 years ago

Assuming that's true (which is a big if), then why would Dolores see Arnold as Bernard instead of Arnold's original form?

ZOONAMI

That makes the Clothed Delores/ Bernard-Arnold basement scenes questionable

Best theory is they are currently Dolores flashbacks to talking with Arnold ~35 years ago

Assuming that's true (which is a big if), then why would Dolores see Arnold as Bernard instead of Arnold's original form?

Bernard is essentially a clone of Arnold.

old

did not see that twist coming, but i figured it out when he didn't see the door.

Oh man, what has anythony hopkins been up to...

TyrantII

Sure. When Ford told Theresa "We need a blood sacrifice" in the basement. That was the exact same thing Charlotte told Theresa. The only way this isn't an ungoldy coincidence is if Ford programmed her to say that. You could see the look in Theresa's eyes as he said those words, as if she realized "holy shit he's already got the board under his control" because she was recalling how Charlotte said those exact same words to her. And then the meaning of Charlotte's "no, that would be too obvious, we need something more surprising" became clear. She was the intended victim all along.

Nah. Its already been established hosts record everything, even when in sleep mode (necro fuckers).

There was a host in the room. Sitting on the bed. Being worked on by Bernard before reporting for duty. No crazy plot line needed.

Ford confirmed this twice. By disabling Theresas cell phone and telling her he made everything here, then repeating the line he pulled from the host in the room to rub it in.

Ford is one poetic, menacing fuck.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

To the shock of nobody. HBO needed a broad reaching genre show that would capture our collective pop culture attention every week (that isn't named Game of Thrones) and they pretty much got it. I fully expect the Season 2 premiere numbers to grow.

Glad to see Insecure and Divorce were also renewed. Was a little worried about the latter making it, but HBO must love SJP. Both shows are wonderful.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I thought the blood sacrifice line was just part of Hector's programmed dialogue that they were paraphrasing? Or did I make that up in my head?

Bernard is essentially a clone of Arnold.

Right, I assume Bernard is made in the image of Arnold until such a time that a more compelling theory regarding the Dolores basement scenes is brought forward

How many regular cast members won't be making it to season 2?

But what about all the flashbacks, secondary timelines and evil twins, Duckroll?

I imagine many dead characters will still lead to their actors getting some work in the next season

Good to see the renewal finally announced.

Also, note this from Bloys in an EW interview:
ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Given the length of production for the first season, when do you think Westworld will return?

Casey Bloys: My suspicion is sometime in 2018 because of how big the world is and what goes into shooting it. So I don’t have a date exactly – they’re going to have to map it out and write the scripts – but my guess is sometime in ‘18.

Solo

I thought the blood sacrifice line was just part of Hector's programmed dialogue that they were paraphrasing? Or did I make that up in my head?

Charlotte said blood sacrifice. Hector recorded it. Ford observed it. Then Ford, being the devious master he is, threw it in Theresa's face to let her know he owned her wholly.

Violet_0

Banned
The problem with Bernard being a host-clone of Arnold is that it would make Ford the biggest idiot of all time. What would Ford possibly have to gain by making Bernard look just like Arnold?

I don't suspect that Ford's motivations are being a generic bad guy who does evil shit for the lolz.

he already re-created his younger self and family ouside of the park, the man has clearly a thing for nostalgia and living in a somewhat idealized version of the past. He might also feel guilty about killing Arnold who probably was even more gifted than him, and that's his way to deal with it

Solo

2 years isn't bad when you consider a production of this magnitude. It's like making a blockbuster sequel, and usually there are at least 2 years between those. Also, I'd always prefer them to take their time and get it right than shat out a S2 ASAP ala True Detective (we all know how that one turned out).

I'm alright with 2018.

duckroll

I bet this has less to do with production and more to do with scheduling. Westworld S1 is doing a good job filling for GoT off season now, but given how S7 is going to return later than usual, if they released Westworld S2 this time next year, it would probably be a clash or too close. Makes sense to spread the two shows out with a few months inbetween so they don't go a whole year without a buzz show. If GoT S8 ends up being late/end 2018, Westworld S2 in early 2018 will fit in nicely. Maybe after that they can get a regular schedule going with it replacing GoT's previous April slot annually.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Lol I bet hbo execs saw Anthony Hopkins master class last night and said Fuck it, worth another $100 million!

Vic_Viper

Crazy episode last night. That was the one reveal I wasnt expecting.

Couple questions:

Was Bernard human in the past and either died or was killed and then Ford made a host Bernard?
-If he was a human in the past that means that Ford gave him his old memories of his son right?

Is Ford making a host version of the lady Bernard killed now to take her place?

Paganmoon

That's very true, and the guy in middle we thought was Arnold is just one of the hosts they built early on.

Yeah, considering the other man in the picture is (or at least looks like) the host that Ford modelled after his father, I'd say yeah that theory is probably right?

So a question, Bernard got fired, so what's next for that host, Ford can't very well just have him return to work?

Also, in all of the hubbub about Bernard, not many are mentioning Maeve's dialog in their end scene. Gave me chills!

Santiako

When he said "What door?" was probably my favourite moment in a tv show in a long ass time.

Also, Dolores rocking those cowboy pants damn.

Also while I don't think anyone doubted this, it appears Bernard was made by Ford as I'm pretty sure Ford mentioned that Bernard wasn't at the park originally. I.E. Arnold didn't make a twin host of himself for lolz

But 2018 is so far away :(

Bright side, if it's at the end of 2018 it will already be halfway through Trump's presidency.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Maybe Bernard/Arnold, along with Maeve, is going to turn on Ford and lead the host uprising/destruction of Westworld.

The hosts evolving beyond their programming is pretty clearly a sub-theme of this show so I'm 99% certain it will eventually happen.

Ford could also be Arnold's host clone. Ford already has a child version of himself. Maybe Arnold drew up various ages of himself to create and created Ford to carry out his plans.

Honestly, a lot of the Arnold theories hinge on if anyone knew what Arnold looked like. Everyone knows about Arnold's death and I assume it would be widespread news. So it wouldn't make sense for him to plan his death and then come back with an identical clone of himself.

I think we need to know more about the publicity of his death to say for certain. But so far all signs point to Bernard.

Sure. When Ford told Theresa "We need a blood sacrifice" in the basement. That was the exact same thing Charlotte told Theresa. The only way this isn't an ungoldy coincidence is if Ford programmed her to say that. You could see the look in Theresa's eyes as he said those words, as if she realized "holy shit he's already got the board under his control" because she was recalling how Charlotte said those exact same words to her. And then the meaning of Charlotte's "no, that would be too obvious, we need something more surprising" became clear. She was the intended victim all along.
There was a host in the room with them. That's the simpler explanation; Ford was spying on them through the host.

Also rewatching the final scene again, it seems the board, Charlotte, and Ford were all conspiring to eliminate Theresa

- "But the gods...they demand a blood sacrifice"
===
- "Do you really think the board will stand for this?"
- [Amused chuckle] "The board will do nothing. Our arrangement is too valuable to them. They test me every now and then. I think they enjoy the sport of it. This time, they sent you. Sadly, in order to restore things, the situation demands a blood sacrifice."

Ford is the only god in this world

Solo

That's the real sinister part of Ford's monologue: "this time, they sent you" This time. How many times has Ford done this?

Charlotte said blood sacrifice. Hector recorded it. Ford observed it. Then Ford, being the devious master he is, threw it in Theresa's face to let her know he owned her wholly.

I think it's interesting that Ford's so theatrical. He doesn't just like to win, he likes to utterly dominate people and let them know how completely he's won, and we've seen that behavior from him toward both Theresa and the Man in Black. He's pretty sociopathic (or at least he detests humans).

As for the game the board is playing with Ford, I suspect Theresa was just a pawn or a red herring, and they've got some other plan in motion (basically throwing Theresa out there in order to let Ford think he's won).

Elandyll

Banned
?

Makes more sense that Ford has bugs everywhere in the park -OR- can hear and see through Hosts (one was present in the room).
Way too thin to conclude that the board rep is a host, specially when she ordered Theresa to do something Ford would hate (the staged beat up ending up with a Host being lobotomized).

Yeah no way Bernard isn't going back to work. Even if this hadn't happened, both Bernard and Ford could've simply torn down the presentation as both could see if was rigged/coded to happen.

----

Other question the episode brings up. Who is Dolores to Arnold? Who is Dolores modeled after? All the diagrams in the basement workshop are of Hosts that are special to Ford or to Arnold. Boy Ford Host, Bernard/Arnold Host but there is also Prototype Dolores. Hell she might've been the first host ever made. Is she based on Arnold's wife maybe?

I'm going back and forth on thinking if Arnold's motivation wasn't to try and make his own son again and that it went badly but who knows.

Bright side, if it's at the end of 2018 it will already be halfway through Trump's presidency.

That's.. that's a good way of thinking about it I guess....

That's the real sinister part of Ford's monologue: "this time, they sent you" This time. How many times has Ford done this?

Remember the first time he sat down with Theresa and he said, "The board and I have always...well almost always, foudn a way come to an agreement." So it makes me wonder what other people stood in his way and how he resolved it.

Solo

I think it's interesting that Ford's so theatrical. He doesn't just like to win, he likes to utterly dominate people and let them know how completely he's won, and we've seen that behavior from him toward both Theresa and the Man in Black. He's pretty sociopathic (or at least he detests humans).

For sure. I think Ford is a wonderfully realized character. So flawed, so genius, so cunning.

It's also amazing to me to see Anthony Hopkins finding a second Hannibal Lector in him 25+ years later.

?

Makes more sense that Ford has bugs everywhere in the park -OR- can hear and see through Hosts (one was present in the room).
Way too thin to conclude that the board rep is a host, specially when she oredered Teresa to do something Ford would hate (the staged beat up ending up with a Host being lobotomized).
Why would he hate that? He doesn't care about the hosts. They're his playthings, the actors in his stories to be live freely under his control.

Paganmoon

There was a host in the room with them. That's the simpler explanation; Ford was spying on them through the host.

Also rewatching the final scene again, it seems the board, Charlotte, and Ford were all conspiring to eliminate Theresa

===
- [Amused chuckle] "The board will do nothing. Our arrangement is too valuable to them. They test me every now and then. I think they enjoy the sport of it. This time, they sent you. Sadly, in order to restore things, the situation demands a blood sacrifice."

Ok, so... The board wants to get data out of WestWorld, they taks Theresa with doing so, with the problems the hosts started to experience after an update (unrelated to the data smuggling), the board get antsy, so after one of the hosts Theresa has smuggling data bugs out completely, they figure Bernard/Ford is on to them, send Charlotte in to set things in motion, and literally sacrifice Theresa to appease Ford? And this wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened?

something along those lines?

Angry Grimace

===

I guess my question would be what the motives each of these groups would have to specifically eliminate Theresa without the involvement of the others.

You can assume Ford wants to eliminate Theresa because she's already working on stealing the host data and that can't continue. But Theresa was only doing it because the board told her to. But why would the board or their proxy want to eliminate her?

Faddy

Banned

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Given the length of production for the first season, when do you think Westworld will return?

Casey Bloys: My suspicion is sometime in 2018 because of how big the world is and what goes into shooting it. So I don’t have a date exactly – they’re going to have to map it out and write the scripts – but my guess is sometime in ‘18.

I think it is a solid bet they will put it in the Game of Thrones slot so the next season might not start until Late March/Early April 2018.

westworld-premiere-2.jpg

Is this just a random promo shot, or is Elsie dressed in host gear?

Solo

I think it is a solid bet they will put it in the Game of Thrones slot so the next season might not start until Late March/Early April 2018.

Which will only be 1.5 years after S1 ends. So it really isn't an exceptionally long wait.

duckroll

Other question the episode brings up. Who is Dolores to Arnold? Who is Dolores modeled after? All the diagrams in the basement workshop are of Hosts that are special to Ford or to Arnold. Boy Ford Host, Bernard/Arnold Host but there is also Prototype Dolores. Hell she might've been the first host ever made. Is she based on Arnold's wife maybe?

She's someone important to him. I think the notebook Ford was reading is Arnold's sketchbook. In it you can see drawings of Dolores, as well as sketches of the church and surrounding buildings, and the maze.

It's from the end of the pilot. She goes help clean up dressed in period gear.

sangreal

So Arnold is most likely Bernard, after rewatching his scenes with Dolores you can see his demeanor is different when he is in the basement room with Dolores and the line of question definetly lines up with what Arnold believed in.

But for that to work literally everyone that knew who Arnold was had to have died. Meaning every single person who worked at the park was killed. How does a park survive after that?

Clearly no one has any info on Arnold. Everyone references him as some mystery with no name or concrete info just that "he died". So what kind of events could happen for the co owner and programmer of one of the most advanced theme park ever built to basically be erased.

Arnold "killed himself" before the park opened

TyrantII

===

Don't forget they're worried about Ford nuking all the code. Theresa job was to get it as a contingency when the board moved against Ford.

Ford neutered that plan before it even got stated, and he's shown he has no false understanding of what the board is really after/about.

It's less Ford and the Board working in tandem, than Ford getting the upper hand over and over. The dinner scene a few episodes back foreshadowed this as well.

Ford is in total control, and the usurpers test him from time to time to see if he's lowered his gaurd at which point he puts them down. This time literally.

Paganmoon

Isn't that from the episode of the "recall"? where they accellarated Hectors storyline to "kill" all bugged hosts so they could decommission them. I recall Elsie walking around putting some hosts to sleep with that code phrase. Can't recall if she was dressed normally or like that though.

Top Bottom