• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is "Arnold" supposed to be a first name or a last name because it's pretty conspicuously strange if it's a first name that everyone just refers to by itself.

A few other details from the Deadline announcement of the renewal:
The entire fall Sunday lineup of HBO, new drama Westworld and comedies Divorce, starring Sarah Jessica Parker, and Insecure, toplined by Issa Rae, have been renewed for a second season of 10 episodes each with all key auspices returning.
Same episode count for S2.
Westworld, developed by Jonathan Nolan & Lisa Joy, is tracking as one of HBO’s biggest first-season drama series ever. Season-to-date, it is averaging a gross audience of 11.7 million viewers, outperforming the first season of Game of Thrones and on par or slightly below with Season 1 of True Detective.

“We’re thrilled that the saga of Westworld will continue for another season,” said Nolan and Lisa Joy. “During the lengthy journey to the screen, our incredibly talented actors, staff and crew became a family, and we look forward to the privilege of continuing this experience with them. We’re also thankful to all of our amazing partners at HBO, WBTV, and Bad Robot for their steadfast support, imagination and ambition. We simply couldn’t have made this show anywhere else.”
Aggregate per episode numbers

Solo

Is "Arnold" supposed to be a first name or a last name because it's pretty conspicuously strange if it's a first name that everyone just refers to by itself.

Think of Arnold as being Walt Disney though. People refer to him just as Walt, and it's understood who they are talking about. Perhaps Arnold was a figure of similar renown before his demise.

She's someone important to him. I think the notebook Ford was reading is Arnold's sketchbook. In it you can see drawings of Dolores, as well as sketches of the church and surrounding buildings, and the maze.

Ah that's interesting. Perhaps Ford is trying to complete Arnold's narrative, some of the pieces at least that were to go into the Maze quest

Don't forget they're worried about Ford nuking all the code. Theresa job was to get it as a contingency when the board moved against Ford.

Ford neutered that plan before it even got stated, and he's shown he has no false understanding of what the board is really after/about.

I actually think it might be less about the board getting what's in the hosts mind as it is about them understanding what's in the hosts mind.

There was a quip from the Board rep that either Bernard or Ford (not sure if she was talking to Bernard and Bernard was trying to protect Ford?) might not have been the one to write the reveries code. Makes me think the board is under the impression that some parts (maybe the most important parts) of the host code was written by Arnold and that they suspect even Ford after 30 years doesn't fully understand it.

I also suspect that the board has successfully snuck out at least a single host's mind from the park because hey they've had 30 years and there's 2000 hosts. But that it's too complicated for them to understand it either.

Would explain why the board can never really get rid of Ford. It's less a kill switch and more the lack of a key.

TyrantII

Can I say Rockstar better be furiously writing a tribute quest lines for RDR2.

Also Season 2 should probably have an Institute Easter egg somewhere.

Edit: autocorrect on mobile

Solo

Hopefully we get special runtimes for episodes too. A 68 minute pilot, a 91 minute finale, and 8 episodes in the middle averaging 58 minutes or so is longer than most!

I doubt S1 Ep 1 is longer, but I can definitely see them locking in 90 minute Episode 10's as the norm.

I assume if you have business in the park in general you're expected not to break immersion.

Ahh I see that my pic is from an earlier episode.

Anyway, in regards to immersion- we see in the latest couple eps that Delos can simply freeze the hosts and go in at will, so why bother with dressing period-specific like in ep 1? I suppose the only scenario I can think of, is that they only go in costume if guests are around? Are we to assume that there were no guests around what seems to be a central town square, when the dudes went in with lab suits this ep?

Anyway, in regards to immersion- we see in the latest couple eps that Delos can simply freeze the hosts and go in at will, so why bother with dressing period-specific like in ep 1? I suppose the only scenario I can think of, is that they only go in costume if guests are around? Are we to assume that there were no guests around what seems to be a central town square, when the dudes went in with lab suits this ep?
It was while the guests were taking pictures, so they didn't want to break the immersion

Santiako

They said "let's get her quickly before the guests finish upstairs", so there were probably some guests fucking in the bedrooms upstairs but no one there.

jett

D-Member
Finally renewed, awesome.

HBO likes to give basically everything two seasons. BUT: they got burned HARD by renewing Vinyl and then having to cancel it (because it sucked). So as of fairly recently, they're much much more cautious about renewing shows.

That show was such garbage.

Solo

By the way, R.I.P., Clementine.

Has any more music been uploaded to Spotify yet? The 5 tracks previously uploaded only covered the first few episodes.

Paganmoon

They said "let's get her quickly before the guests finish upstairs", so there were probably some guests fucking in the bedrooms upstairs but no one there.

Which begs the question, how many guests are in the park at any one time? There can't be that many really, as the Saloon is in the "starting zone" so to say.

Solo

Which begs the question, how many guests are in the park at any one time? There can't be that many really, as the Saloon is in the "starting zone" so to say.

They mentioned this in one episode.....or at least what the ratio was of guests to hosts. I can't recall what the number was though sadly, although I want to say 1-2 thousand guests. But maybe that was hosts.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Has any more music been uploaded to Spotify yet? The 5 tracks previously uploaded only covered the first few episodes.

Putting Angela Sarafyan in the main cast was pretty weird if that's the end for Clementine because it feels like she barely did anything. I mean, I suppose Rodrigo Santoro appears less than she did but he usually had a bigger part to play while he was around.

duckroll

In the pilot they say there are 1400 guests in the park at the point things started to go wrong with the update.

They mentioned this in one episode.....or at least what the ratio was of guests to hosts. I can't recall what the number was though sadly, although I want to say 1-2 thousand guests. But maybe that was hosts.

1400 guests, 2000 hosts.

Rixxan

Anyone else get the Anthony Hopkins:Westworld::Sean Bean:Game of Thrones vibe?

For whatever reason I can't imagine him signing up and committing to more than one season of a series such as this, considering his age and his history in film.

There are 2000 hosts in the park. I cannot recall guest numbers ever being mentioned but I'm forgetful so who know.

Solo

For whatever reason I can't imagine him signing up and committing to more than one season of a series such as this, considering his age and his history in film.

Him and Ed Harris are the two I feel are most likely one-and-done guys, but who knows.

I could certainly see any of Arnold/Bernard, Dolores, MiB killing Ford.

Where are we sitting at with the multi-timeline theory? Obviously it is reinforced by the possibility that Bernard was actually Arnold in the interviews with Dolores.

However, last episode they revealed that this might have all happened even before the William timeline, since she recalled and drew the canyon that they see.

CloudWolf

Renewed? Nice. I do wonder how many of the original cast will survive the first season/be needed for the second season though. For instance, William's actor will probably be gone the second season, unless they are going to keep running with the timelines shit for another season.

Where are we sitting at with the multi-timeline theory? Obviously it is reinforced by the possibility that Bernard was actually Arnold in the interviews with Dolores.

However, last episode they revealed that this might have all happened even before the William timeline, since she recalled and drew the canyon that they see.
Two timelines are pretty much confirmed due to the changing logo between William's arrival and the rest of the show. The question now is if Dolores's talks with "Bernard" is secretely a third timeline, I'm a believer.

duckroll

Him and Ed Harris are the two I feel are most likely one-and-done guys, but who knows.

I could certainly see any of Arnold/Bernard, Dolores, MiB killing Ford.

I think we all sort of expect that, but both actors have also mentioned that they expect to be shooting season 2 next year. Lol.

I am excited for Season 2, but I have no idea how they'll keep it 'smart'. How many more tricks could they have up their sleeves?
Nolan said the heart of the series is the rise of this synthetic species. I'd expect them to definitely leave the park, and focus on where this new species goes next.

Outside the park, it's basically the paleolithic era for them: a new species with greater intelligence against an environment filled with dominant predators (aka us, the established species who likely won't react positively to sentient machines)

Solo

I think we all sort of expect that, but both actors have also mentioned that they expect to be shooting season 2 next year. Lol.

I saw that, hence my "who knows" haha. One wonders if they've been instructed to say things to that effect in media such as to not spoil things.

Both are amazing actors and a real coup for the show to have, so one the one hand I'd love both back. On the other hand, the story may demand a blood sacrificve for one or both of them.

kris.

Banned
renewed news got me all

OCRlT8X.gif

i love this show so much right now

edit: oh wait not til 2018?

:(

duckroll

If we follow the theory, there are 3 major milestones in Westworld:

- Beta period where the hosts are tested without any guests, that's where the church beyond the canyon with the town come from, and something happens leading to Arnold's death.

- A few years after Westworld opens, William and Logan visit, and Dolores goes on her first off loop trek following Arnold's call, almost leading to the demise of the park.

- 30 years later today, Dolores is at it again, and Ford has a master plan, and William is back as MiB to solve the maze once and for all.

I saw that, hence my "who knows" haha. One wonders if they've been instructed to say things to that effect in media such as to not spoil things.

Both are amazing actors and a real coup for the show to have, so one the one hand I'd love both back. On the other hand, the story may demand a blood sacrificve for one or both of them.

I'm more curious as to what it means for Jimmi Simpson if the William=MiB is confirmed and tied up by the end of the season. Will he be gone for good, or will they continue to tie in subsequent seasons with flashbacks of him over the years, fleshing out Delos politics and his relationship with Juliet?

TyrantII

Nolan said the heart of the series is the rise of this synthetic species. I'd expect them to leave definitely the park, and focus on where this new species goes next.

Outside the park, it's basically the paleolithic era for them: a new species with greater intelligence against an environment filled with dominant predators (aka us, the established species who likely won't reacf positively to sentient machines)

And with the real political blowback going on in the real world currently, it's ripe for topical social commentary.

These are pin cushions and fuckdolls. Suddenly having agency, and knowing they're superior to humanity in many areas is going to cause conflict.

Arnold's sketchbook, so Arnold was creating a robot of himself? That would be kind of weird. There is a lot of weird stuff going on with Arnold and Bernard that I don't think it's going to be as cut and dry as Arnold was Bernard.

I was reaching scenes from earlier episodes, what exactly is Ford creating. His masterpiece storyline seems to involve religion. At the end of episode 2 when he shows Bernard what he is building it shows a church. When he talks about Wyatt he mentions that Wyatt hears the voice of god. When he was discussing Arnold with Bernard he talks about Arnold's vision was for the hosts to stop listening to the voices in their head as a god speaking to them but to realize it's their consciousness. So what is Ford doing here? Does he want robots to evolve?

The long gap in production could be helpful here in getting them all back for filming, instead of having strict schedule of filming seasons. But if the show does well enough to go to s3 and beyond, I don't know if they could keep Hopkins and Harris.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

*Raises hand*

Yep, same reasoning. I just don't see him being onboard for multiple seasons. Ed Harris? Kinda the same but to a lesser extent. But I've always figured Hopkins was here to give the show some gravitas but his character will be done away with by the end of Season 1.

duckroll

Arnold's sketchbook, so Arnold was creating a robot of himself? That would be kind of weird. There is a lot of weird stuff going on with Arnold and Bernard that I don't think it's going to be as cut and dry as Arnold was Bernard.

I was reaching scenes from earlier episodes, what exactly is Ford creating. His masterpiece storyline seems to involve religion. At the end of episode 2 when he shows Bernard what he is building it shows a church. When he talks about Wyatt he mentions that Wyatt hears the voice of god. When he was discussing Arnold with Bernard he talks about Arnold's vision was for the hosts to stop listening to the voices in their head as a god speaking to them but to realize it's their consciousness. So what is Ford doing here? Does he want robots to evolve?

I think he's just trying to recreate a very specific event - the one that led to Arnold's death. What's his aim in that? Possibly to trigger host memories to discover what really happened that day. It seems to be the one thing that eludes him. Maybe he sees Arnold's death as him escaping from his control, and needs closure. It's interesting that he introduces an update that allows hosts to remember just before rolling out this new narrative which seems to be based on the past. He also seems certain that Dolores knows everything that has it stored safely in her head, he just doesn't know how to get it out of her.

Solo

I'm more curious as to what it means for Jimmi Simpson if the William=MiB is confirmed and tied up by the end of the season. Will he be gone for good, or will they continue to tie in subsequent seasons with flashbacks of him over the years, fleshing out Delos politics and his relationship with Juliet?

Youre right, I never thought of that. He may be the odd man out going forward.

Brakke

Banned

Why? Arnold wasn't impressed by the faked "malfunction". A gunshot through the chest is obviously reparable. Those corporate goofballs couldn't even pick an actually-malfunctioning robot out from the same room as Clementine. If it's gone it's only because nobody bothers to fix it up.

There are 2000 hosts in the park. I cannot recall guest numbers ever being mentioned but I'm forgetful so who know.

Whatever number of hosts is published is clearly lower than the true number tho...

Chumley

Banned
Wait, second season not till 2018? What? There is absolutely no way the production on this is more difficult than GoT and they pump out 10 episodes a year for that.

*Raises hand*

Yep, same reasoning. I just don't see him being onboard for multiple seasons. Ed Harris? Kinda the same but to a lesser extent. But I've always figured Hopkins was here to give the show some gravitas but his character will be done away with by the end of Season 1.

Hopkins and Harris are way more important here than Bean was in GoT. By the time he was gone a lot of beloved characters emerged, that isn't really the case here. I can see one of them ending it somewhere in Season 2 though.

Fliesen

not gonna read this thread because i feel like i just wanna experience the show without dismantling it and following fan-theories and dismantling the minutiae of every scene ...

but ... BOY what an episode!

Sadly, yes.
His death will be the sign that the synthetics are truly in control of themselves.

Whatever number of hosts is published is clearly lower than the true number tho...

True albeit I doubt Ford has that many secret hosts. He has complete control of all normal hosts anyways so it's unlikely he needs that many other hosts to do his secret plans

-griffy-

Banned
Why? Arnold wasn't impressed by the faked "malfunction". A gunshot through the chest is obviously reparable. Those corporate goofballs couldn't even pick an actually-malfunctioning robot out from the same room as Clementine. If it's gone it's only because nobody bothers to fix it up.

They "lobotomized" her with that drill up the nose. I think she's effectively brain dead and a clean slate now.

Clem got lobotomized.

I still don't understand why they store those hosts in cold storage and don't just destroy them.

Joni

Wait, second season not till 2018? What? There is absolutely no way the production on this is more difficult than GoT and they pump out 10 episodes a year for that.
They delayed game of thrones so they will need to delay this to come after thrones.

They "lobotomized" her with that drill up the nose. I think she's effectively brain dead and a clean slate now.
Yup. They confirmed this in the producer interview:
Producer interview said:
EW: Then she’s apparently lobotomized. We’re so used to the hosts coming back to life over and over again. Does this mean Clementine has been “killed off”?

Nolan: It’s a little more complicated than that. They’re physically removing part of her personality. It’s like when the NSA has a hard drive they want to get rid of. They don’t just erase it, they drill holes in it. The mind of the hosts are organized similar to a human mind, with that frontal lobe containing most of the code for her personality. So the person we know as Clementine is largely gone.

Wouldn't David Simon's new show be airing in 2017? I guess that would take the Fall 2017 spot.
We'll see. Could also be The Leftovers or Sharp Objects. We've talked a little about it in the renew/cancel thread.

Top Bottom