• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

silva1991

That moment when he said "what door" holy shit.

What an episode

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Charlotte said blood sacrifice. Hector recorded it. Ford observed it. Then Ford, being the devious master he is, threw it in Theresa's face to let her know he owned her wholly.
That's what I'm talking about! This is going to sound funny but television has been missing deliciously grim dramas to take the series Hannibal's throne. This show is going places.

Edit: Yes, the "what door?" question had us screaming hahahaha

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Bernard being a host means they are conscious, or at least capable of it, no matter what the hell Ford says. Bernard passed the Turning test for years in a highly social environment, he did not get by on "scripting with improvisations"

Ferrio

Banned
Bernard being a host means they are conscious, or at least capable of it, no matter what the hell Ford says. Bernard passed the Turning test for years in a highly social environment, he did not get by on "scripting with improvisations"

It was established they passed the Turring test before the park opened, it doesn't mean they're self conscious.

What a great episode.

I HOLYSHITTED at "What Door?"

Glad it got renewed as well.

Can't wait to see where they go in the last couple episodes.

I've been watching this on Sundays and need to catch up on TWD!

Elandyll

Banned
Why would he hate that? He doesn't care about the hosts. They're his playthings, the actors in his stories to be live freely under his control.

Bernard himself warned Theresa about it.

And Ford's face was imo quite revealing during the scene, a lot of contained anger I thought.

Last, I think he having Bernard bash Theresa face in instead of a quick death with a neck snap or something similar was pretty telling a well.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It was established they passed the Turring test before the park opened, it doesn't mean they're self conscious.
A proper Turing test "proves" consciousness on the principle that anything indistinguishable for arbitrary periods of time and arbitrary topics of conversation must be conscious in some way: after all, we assume other humans are conscious by the same standard. (I think the Chinese Room is bullshit but I'm on mobile so I won't get into it) All of the hosts immediately fail because of their obvious lack of even basic curiosity around anything they don't already know about. Bernard appears to have been operational for decades, every conceivable social interaction must have come up at one point or another

A proper Turing test "proves" consciousness on the principle that anything indistinguishable for arbitrary periods of time and arbitrary topics of conversation must be conscious in some way: after all, we assume other humans are conscious by the same standard. (I think the Chinese Room is bullshit but I'm on mobile so I won't get into it) All of the hosts immediately fail because of their obvious lack of even basic curiosity around anything they don't already know about. Bernard appears to have been operational for decades, every conceivable social interaction must have come up at one point or another

yeah, i agreeeee

otherwise how would ever going to prove that humans are conscious?

some humans operate on various 'consciousness' level, as well...

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I am excited for Season 2, but I have no idea how they'll keep it 'smart'. How many more tricks could they have up their sleeves?
I'm not worried Nolan kept POI interesting for 5 seasons. And that show premise was much simpler than Westworld.

Dmax3901

3UH0gvb.png

I'm sure people have already theorised, but I wonder if this photo is of Julia, and was left in the dirt by William all those years ago.

Most software is comically insecure.

not surprised

but still. not most IT grunt in a lot of companies seems to have the same level of system admin access these two have. idk. the whole arc pivot on how incompetent the security/IT permission system of delos is. and i am not quite able to suspend my logic to enjoy this particular arc.

of course others are welcomed to disagree, but i find the butchers' arc the weakest and hinged a lot of making parts of delos' security system as dumb as possible.

not saying it's not possible. just... not an enjoyable arc for me.

3UH0gvb.png

I'm sure people have already theorised, but I wonder if this photo is of Julia, and was left in the dirt by William all those years ago.

I've thought this, but I don't know how William would have that photo on him when the park bans guests from bringing outside items. It's probably pretty easy to regulate this based on how guests are brought into the park. Whoever brought that in clearly meant to smuggle it in.

Makai

not surprised

but still. not most IT grunt in a lot of companies seems to have the same level of system admin access these two have. idk. the whole arc pivot on how incompetent the security/IT permission system of delos is. and i am not quite able to suspend my logic to enjoy this particular arc.

of course others are welcomed to disagree, but i find the butchers' arc the weakest and hinged a lot of making parts of delos' security system as dumb as possible.

not saying it's not possible. just... not an enjoyable arc for me.
Most people don't even put passwords on their work computers

Brakke

Banned
You know what I mean. Just wanna know if he should've aged already.

Black don't crack.

You're assuming the bullets used in the park are capable of penetrating the brain/CPU of the hosts.

That one dude collapsed his face and his entire frontal lobe with a dang rock and they still ran diagnostics and shit on him. I think it's unclear what exactly they did to Clem. The show's reticence to actually define how the robobrains work is still frustrating.

Most people don't even put passwords on their work computers

:< so bad

my companies seem to be okay so far though

the IT grunts at my place wouldn't elevate people's browsing access willy nilly, damn them. i need my mafia fix and i can't internet more than an hour a day. i should go maeve mode on them, but they seem pretty unmoving :<

maybe if i threaten to kill them or something

mmmmmmmm

RoyalFool

Banned
3UH0gvb.png

Maybe the guests are not "coded" but their subconscious is somehow taken from real people?

What if Arnold designed his own replica in order to fake his original death? Then ford used his plans to make another one.

Great episode, no idea where they will take it from here.

Wasn't a huge surprise that Bernard was a host, there were tells all the way through (or at least I think there were, I suspected him very early on even if I do say so myself) but that door moment was still amazing. Another great episode.

I am kinda fearful about the show moving forward. The next series will have to be very different. Ford has been planting his sleeper agents in the real world so I guess it will be about that. And I suppose that means, as this is set in the future, we're going from Fistful of Dollars to Blade Runner...

sam777

What about the girl (forgotten her name) who went missing at the end of episode 6? No reference of her this episode and that seemed to be something big.

Brakke

Banned
The Turing Test is a nonsense thing anyway. Severely autistic humans can fail the Turing Test and in some contexts a trash-tier chatbot like ELIZA can pass. There's no clear way to define what the parameters of a "proper" Turing Test should be. Casual interviewer? Adversarial? Can / should the interviewer be aware they're performing a Turing Test?

Turing Test isn't a functional thing, it's just a cute little framing device that mostly goes to illustrate that consciousness is a fuzzy concept which, as all things, comprises a spectrum.

My question about the hosts isn't if they're conscious (of course they are) but what the unit of "they" is. I still don't quite understand whether hosts are unique individuals or just different expressions of the broader Host AI. The ethical question is whether it's ok to "kill" any given host, or if it's only becomes "murder" if you destroy every host or decommission the whole AI software stack.

Brakke

Banned
What about the girl (forgotten her name) who went missing at the end of episode 6? No reference of her this episode and that seemed to be something big.

Elsie. Robernard was asking about her, and searched the park locator system for her. But yeah no indictation what actually happened to her.

Dmax3901

Haha sorry, I do realize that could've come off a bit passive aggressive, didn't mean for it to sound that way. I was just having some fun.

All good :)

I've thought this, but I don't know how William would have that photo on him when the park bans guests from bringing outside items. It's probably pretty easy to regulate this based on how guests are brought into the park. Whoever brought that in clearly meant to smuggle it in.

Forgot about that restriction.

Maybe the guests are not "coded" but their subconscious is somehow taken from real people?

What if Arnold designed his own replica in order to fake his original death? Then ford used his plans to make another one.

Great episode, no idea where they will take it from here.

So Ford bastardised Arnold's work for evil, I like it.

JoeBoy101

Once I saw this face, I knew it was all over for her.

WBVqrPU.png

Just got to quickly say, Sir Anthony Fucking Hopkins.

It would be so easy for him to go Hannibal Lector, chewing the scenery and slinging elegant vulgarity with spittle. And people would probably still clap.

Instead, he takes this unassuming, quiet, almost 'small' poise that just makes him spine chilling when he asserts himself. Like a watch-maker dealing with a troublesome gear, except it involves killing a fucker.

Maximo said:
Agreed I need a Medieval version of Westworld now.

Westeros - Another Delos Destination.

Corpekata

Banned
Probably been discussed but given Delos' complete ownership being hammered home this episode, I'm struggling to see how anyone can suggest William and Logan are in the same timeframe. They clearly couldn't be working for Delos in the modern time since they own the place outright. And they don't exactly seem to be in some precarious financial position that could suggest they work for some outside company looking to take over Delos itself given they are apparently doing sinister background development, which doesn't exactly seem like the plans of a company about to give up any commitments.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
"What door?" was the moment.

Top Bottom