• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

ZOONAMI

Has Hopkins ever played the Devil in anything? That's totally the face of manipulative bastard who's smarter than everyone else in the room

I can't remember if in The Rite he was the devil or a priest.

Edit:
yeah he was a priest who gets possessed, so sort of the devil. Actually a pretty good movie. Might watch it again tonight.

Corpekata

Banned
Also this is the second time this year HBO has managed to make a quote about a door sort of awesome and heartbreaking at the same time.

Carbonox

The inside-the-park stuff continues to drag for me but it's the stuff gwaning within the leadership and the running of the park that grips me something fierce.

The final scene was straight fiyah and I could have clapped once Hopkins went full Hannibal on Theresa. Such a fucking delight to see.

Yeah I was like this series went from good to great in 5 seconds. What a tweeeest.
That moment was a holy shit moment but what made the twist so good was how the full reveal was handled. They didn't half-ass it for a cliffhanger. Another show would slowly pan down the blueprint to the name and then cut to black. Or do that and then show Ford standing behind them, cut to black

But it didn't go for the cheap gotcha. It evoked some really haunting heartbreaking stuff with Bernard's moment of realization, and gave us a fantastic Hopkins scene as he dominated the room with his presence and subtle menace.

"What door" was awesome, but "I'm not one. I can't be. My wife. My son. The burial. I was a father" was just devastating. That was the moment for me; it encapulated the promise of the show IMO. We had similar scenes with Maeve when she realized the nature of herself, but that part was just a gut punch

Show returns to excellent form after one flawed episode, hope it continues on an ever upwards trajectory.

One moment absolutely floored me - when the Ghost Indians attacked the confederates, William has a shit eating grin on his face. The exact same grin I have in MMOs and video games when two NPC factions start attacking each other, and all you can think is "fucking hell, this shit is cool as fuck. I wonder who is gonna win... and what loot they will drop."

What door... god-dayum

The internet is 1 for 1 on theories!

Show returns to excellent form after one flawed episode, hope it continues on an ever upwards trajectory.

One moment absolutely floored me - when the Ghost Indians attacked the confederates, William has a shit eating grin on his face. The exact same grin I have in MMOs and video games when two NPC factions start attacking each other, and all you can think is "fucking hell, this shit is cool as fuck. I wonder who is gonna win... and what loot they will drop."

What door... god-dayum
further proof that he is MiB. This episode showed him falling for the mystique of the park.

-griffy-

Banned
That moment was a holy shit moment but what made the twist so good was how the full reveal was handled. They didn't half-ass it for a cliffhanger. Another show would slowly pan down the blueprint to the name and then cut to black. Or do that and then show Ford standing behind them, cut to black

But it didn't go for the cheap gotcha. It evoked some really haunting heartbreaking stuff with Bernard's moment of realization, and gave us a fantastic Hopkins scene as he dominated the room with his presence and subtle menace.

"What door" was awesome, but "I'm not one. I can't be. My wife. My son. The burial. I was a father" was just devastating. That was the moment for me; it encapulated the promise of the show IMO. We had similar scenes with Maeve when she realized the nature of herself, but that part was just a gut punch

What I loved was that you could already tell what was on the blueprint just by Theresa's reaction. We didn't even really need to see what was on it, just her reaction shot and shaky "Have you seen these?"

I haven't caught up on discussion but is the assumption here that Ford is going to create a robot Theresa? For all we know he has done this to many people. He could kill anyone in secret and replace them with a machine.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Is it Sunday yet?

I figured the same.

Now I'm starting to wonder the purpose of all of Bernard's actions. Why does he keep interviewing Dolores? I guess it lets Ford do it without having to do it himself or something.

Theory is that... SPOILER
Those scenes were actually flashbacks, and that it was Arnold talking with Dolores

I figured the same.

Now I'm starting to wonder the purpose of all of Bernard's actions. Why does he keep interviewing Dolores? I guess it lets Ford do it without having to do it himself or something.
No, the common theory is that scenes of "Bernard" and Dolores are exactly flashbacks of Arnold and Dolores. It explains why Bernard knew about the maze and why he told Dolores to find it. Why Dolores was clothed, compared to how Ford interviewed her. How Dolores could be having these meetings.

The inside-the-park stuff continues to drag for me but it's the stuff gwaning within the leadership and the running of the park that grips me something fierce.

The final scene was straight fiyah and I could have clapped once Hopkins went full Hannibal on Theresa. Such a fucking delight to see.

Yea the whole adventure of Dolores is really dragging and kinda the worst part of the show right now

gatti-man

That added depth and sadness I agree. It also showed you how twisted Hopkins character is that he didn't even care.

-griffy-

Banned
I figured the same.

The new theory is that Bernard is actually a host version of Arnold, and those scenes of Bernard interviewing Dolores are actually Arnold interviewing Dolores in the past.

Ford shows Bernard this photo and says it's of him and Arnold, but we later learn that other man is a host.
arnold-1.gif

The photo is offset in such a way that a third person could be standing there, and it would make sense that Arnold is actually in the photo but Bernard can't see him as he couldn't see the door.

The Theresa storyline part of this episode was brilliant, just brilliant. Not just her being killed, but what lead up to that moment. Before they entered the basement, when Theresa was demonstrating the dangers the reveries pose.

"You're telling us that these hosts were responding to a grudge?"

Yes Bernard, and so you did too, though it was Ford's grudge, when you killed Theresa.

Is it Sunday yet?

Theory is that... SPOILER

No, the common theory is that scenes of "Bernard" and Dolores are exactly flashbacks of Arnold and Dolores. It explains why Bernard knew about the maze and why he told Dolores to find it. Why Dolores was clothed, compared to how Ford interviewed her. How Dolores could be having these meetings.
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I could see that.

The new theory is that Bernard is actually a host version of Arnold, and those scenes of Bernard interviewing Dolores are actually Arnold interviewing Dolores in the past.

Ford shows Bernard this photo and says it's of him and Arnold, but we later learn that other man is a host.
arnold-1.gif

The photo is offset in such a way that a third person could be standing there, and it would make sense that Arnold is actually in the photo but Bernard can't see him as he couldn't see the door.
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. This show yo. We are getting straight Nolan'd

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Heh, people here get mad when you don't put in a warning before spoiler tagging shit so yeah just covering my ass.

But yeah "Doesnt look like anything to me" yada yada

Dmax3901

Yeah, seeing such a calm, reserved man utterly fail to comprehend the situation was devastating.

Heh, people here get mad when you don't put in a warning before spoiler tagging shit so yeah just covering my ass.

But yeah "Doesnt look like anything to me" yada yada
Speculation based on aired episodes aren't spoilers. Plus the theories have been discussed openly for pages

Just say the Walking Dead mate.

Haha I was speculating about Bernard being a host last week and before that as well. Very good ending. I hope wright sticks around the show he's great in here

Anthony Hopkins was chilling. Reminding us why his Hannibal was such an amazing villain years ago.

Speevy

Banned
Does anyone ever just burst out laughing when explaining this show to someone?

Okay, so you have this theme park operator in the future who makes robots. It's a wild west theme park where people pay to become part of Western storylines. The robots are just like real people. You can't really tell them apart. They just sort of kill and fuck each other and the guests all day. The robots start becoming more like people because they gave them memories. So they start questioning the nature of their existence and remembering all the things that were done to them by the park's visitors. When they bring them back for maintenance and such, some of them start rebelling against their creators. There's a robot prostitute who gets her intelligence turned up all the way. Hannibal Lechter is building his own special section of the park and has begun replacing real people with the robots. One of the main characters was a robot all along but didn't realize it. He kills another main character. Ed Harris is a sick bastard who has been raping and murdering the robots for 30 years.

Just say the Walking Dead mate.
Honestly, I wasn't even thinking of The Walking Dead when I typed that

Does anyone ever just burst out laughing when explaining this show to someone?
It's like Jurassic Park with Terminators

But seriously, a lot of people have at least heard of the original movie, so it's not that hard. Self-aware AI is less far-fetched than cloning dinosaurs from ancient DNA

-griffy-

Banned
It's hard to describe the conceit of the show and that it's an actual serious drama to someone who has no familiarity with it. It sounds kind of dumb when you explain it.

It's funny how casual they are about doing massive amounts of terraforming. "Oh, we'll just stop the FUCKING CANYON a little short of the village. No big deal either way."

Damn satisfying twist. I had heard speculation earlier about Bernard but didn't want to believe it. I thought for sure it would be Theresa, if only because of her cold demeanor. I always love being surprised like this.

It's hard to describe the conceit of the show and that it's an actual serious drama to someone who has no familiarity with it. It sounds kind of dumb when you explain it.
Frame it as a show about AI becoming self-aware, then offer some details if needed rather than trying to explain the entire premise

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Really glad to see Season2 renewed!

I've been loving this show so far, its the closest thing to LOST since. Good reveals last night. Similarly to LOST I spend a lot of time thinking and talking about what could be going on in the show.

Fucking Hell. I swore I would stay off this thread but this episode was god tier. They nailed the immense sadness that a being could feel for finding that your whole reality is a lie. Anthony Hopkins delivered once of the finest performances since Bryan Cranston in Ozymandias.

arnold-1.gif

That plus the line Ford says about Arnold stating something along the lines of an artist hiding himself in his work

Deadbeat

Banned
Yea the whole adventure of Dolores is really dragging and kinda the worst part of the show right now
The next episode better dump a twist equivalent to Bernard or just do something to speed it up. Im tired of it. Dolores becomes fully self aware? Ed Harris converges on their adventure? Get it moving.

Top Bottom