• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

So if the board is "fighting" with Ford for soo long (as implied by Ford conversation with Thereza at the restaurant scene and "this time, they sent you" line, they pretty much know each other very well. So why the hell to conspire against Ford in the presence of one of his hosts? They knew pretty well what they are doing, senting Thereza to the "blood sacrifice". Is the board just getting rid of her after getting the data, a cleaning job?

squidyj

First of all I'm pretty inclined to believe Arnold was real now.

Ford said:
I built ALL this.

I thought I knew Ford was a sick son of a bitch but the way he says he built ALL of it, arnold who? That makes me think he was just a jealous cunt who used arnold's likeness as a petty means of revenge so he could feel superior.

golem

Since we're full on BSG now..

My theory is Maeve will try to leave the park and take one step out of its boundaries and find that she physically cannot function outside the confines of the park.

The two butchers are hosts Ford has programmed to give Maeve the illusion of a possible freedom, just to take it away from her and see her reaction. She always wakes up on time on the table because he has been waking her up, not because Maeve is necessarily special.

Since we see that Ford is ok with keeping around a host that believes he is human he is now curious about having a host around that knows she is a host. This is his hubris and will lead to the revolution.

MiB will be the one that loosens Fords iron grip and total surveillance on Westworld

Schnozberry

I thought I knew Ford was a sick son of a bitch but the way he says he built ALL of it, arnold who? That makes me think he was just a jealous cunt who used arnold's likeness as a petty means of revenge so he could feel superior.

He'll do the same with Cullen. Luring her down into the chamber where her duplicate was being made so he could have her former lover kill her was a level of evil that few television characters will ever achieve. It makes you wonder if he will have her haunted by implanted memories like Bernard is, while he uses her to manipulate the board.

gun_haver

My theory is Maeve will try to leave the park and take one step out of its boundaries and find that she physically cannot function outside the confines of the park.

The two butchers are hosts Ford has programmed to give Maeve the illusion of a possible freedom, just to take it away from her and see her reaction. She always wakes up on time on the table because he has been waking her up, not because Maeve is necessarily special.

Since we see that Ford is ok with keeping around a host that believes he is human he is now curious about having a host around that knows she is a host. This is his hubris and will lead to the revolution.

MiB will be the one that loosens Fords iron grip and total surveillance on Westworld

Huh, you're right there are a lot of similarities at least in subject matter with BSG. I'm glad that quasi-religious mystical nonsense hasn't popped up too much yet except in the form of myths within the park.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
He'll do the same with Cullen. Luring her down into the chamber where her duplicate was being made so he could have her former lover kill her was a level of evil that few television characters will ever achieve. It makes you wonder if he will have her haunted by implanted memories like Bernard is, while he uses her to manipulate the board.

Also makes you wonder whether Bernard was an actual person who he replaced or not. Whats even real at this point

Edit: Put me in the Butchers are hosts camp as well, they said it'd be explained why they were so easy to convince and them straight up being programmed to do so is a good enough justification

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm still unsure as to Ford's absolute motives in comparison to the enigma that is Arnold, in relation to the AI. Ford makes Arnold out to be the villain, but I don't really buy that now.

Obviously the major incident that happened 30 years ago is still of high relevance. I wonder if that was the straw that broke the camels back in terms of independent financing and directive, as in the incident and the collateral involved forced Ford to basically take on a board of directors and see major influence from outside parties and shareholders. Hence the state of the business now, where Ford is deeply, violently protective of his work. If Arnold's investment in true sentience triggered the incident I could see Ford's alternative of control of the AI and god-like power over them as his obsession for control.

Just want to know where the Bernard-talks-to-Dolores stuff fits in, and who/what Bernard was at that time. Bernard asks Dolores the last time she spoke to Arnold. Was Bernard actually Arnold, if so why the question? Or were they different? If it was robo Bernard asking, why was he there and doing so?

Kayhan

The blood sacrifice refers to Theresa being killed and then a host in her likeness being made. We even saw it being made in the cellar.

I wonder how many real people Ford have had killed and replaced by hosts over the years.

Also, I called Bernard being a host early on. You people better recognize.

I'm still unsure as to Ford's absolute motives in comparison to the enigma that is Arnold, in relation to the AI. Ford makes Arnold out to be the villain, but I don't really buy that now.

Obviously the major incident that happened 30 years ago is still of high relevance. I wonder if that was the straw that broke the camels back in terms of independent financing and directive, as in the incident and the collateral involved forced Ford to basically take on a board of directors and see major influence from outside parties and shareholders. Hence the state of the business now, where Ford is deeply, violently protective of his work. If Arnold's investment in true sentience triggered the incident I could see Ford's alternative of control of the AI and god-like power over them as his obsession for control.

Just want to know where the Bernard-talks-to-Dolores stuff fits in, and who/what Bernard was at that time. Bernard asks Dolores the last time she spoke to Arnold. Was Bernard actually Arnold, if so why the question? Or were they different? If it was robo Bernard asking, why was he there and doing so?
"You mustn't make Arnold's mistake"

Seems he was making sure Bernard hadn't started acting like Arnold and activated Dolores. Which is why he asked when was the last time she talked with Arnold

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What I loved was that you could already tell what was on the blueprint just by Theresa's reaction. We didn't even really need to see what was on it, just her reaction shot and shaky "Have you seen these?"

That first hesitant "um" out of her mouth. Her acting there was superb.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The new theory is that Bernard is actually a host version of Arnold, and those scenes of Bernard interviewing Dolores are actually Arnold interviewing Dolores in the past.

Ford shows Bernard this photo and says it's of him and Arnold, but we later learn that other man is a host.
arnold-1.gif

The photo is offset in such a way that a third person could be standing there, and it would make sense that Arnold is actually in the photo but Bernard can't see him as he couldn't see the door.

This is a good theory in terms of "twists", and I do actually think Bernard is based off of Arnold, but it means the show is doing more inconsistent bullshit. When Bernard first enters the house we see the door but he doesn't. But when Bernard sees the photo, we don't see things he doesn't see? If our perspective is supposed to be Bernard's do we not see things he doesn't see, or do we?

Kayhan

So what is the "research project" and Delos real goal with the host technology?

Super soldiers you say?

Wrong!

It is immortality. If you can transfer your consciousness and memories to a new body you are essentially immortal.

What greater price?

This is a good theory in terms of "twists", and I do actually think Bernard is based off of Arnold, but it means the show is doing more inconsistent bullshit. When Bernard first enters the house we see the door but he doesn't. But when Bernard sees the photo, we don't see things he doesn't see? If our perspective is supposed to be Bernard's do we not see things he doesn't see, or do we?
We dont see the door when he enters. It's a solid wall the first time we see it. As wel as when Bernard first finds the house and Ford seems to appear from nowhere

I was suspecting employees being hosts for a while. When the security guard got fucked up by the female host and know one cared, makes me think all the security with the exception of the lead security dude (probably) were host. Also When Bernard mentions that most of the surveying was done by hosts.

Poor Bernard, finding out your a bot is the pits.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
We dont see the door when he enters. It's a solid wall the first time we see it. As wel as when Bernard first finds the house and Ford seems to appear from nowhere

Are we sure of that? I could have sworn we did. If its really not there I'll retract it

Also I know everyone is losing their shit over "what door" but "doesn't look like anything to me" was real fucking good

duckroll

Are we sure of that? I could have sworn we did. If its really not there I'll retract it

Also I know everyone is losing their shit over "what door" but "doesn't look like anything to me" was real fucking good

There is no door until Theresa mentions it. It is straight up Fight Club deception.

Kayhan

We all agree that Dolores is Arnold, right?

Arnold is the last name. Dolores Arnold.

She was Fords partner but transferred her consciousness to a host body - probably a host replica of her real body.

Immortality obtained. But something went wrong or Ford fucked her up. Her memories and mind got scrambled.

She has to get to the middle of the maze to find her true Arnold self.

Actually now that I think about it Ford might have murdered Dolores Arnold and made a host copy like he is doing with Theresa right now.

I thought it was Ford who asked Dolores about Arnold?

Kayhan

Ford is having Bernard talk to host Dolores to determine if the real Arnold persona in there is coming through, breaking free.

Mega

Banned
Just gotta say this show is fantastic. I'm hooked.

Now that Bernard is a confirmed host and we saw that security guard host blending in perfectly with his human counterparts, the butchers and the host sculptors are definitely hosts themselves, right? That would explain how literally no one pays attention or even takes a glance at a butcher giving a tour to an aberrant host.

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but Ford confirming he sees and hears everything leads me to think we have a Matrix scenario on our hands, where the Matrix is one layer of control and Zion is another. In Westworld, the park is one level and the behind the scenes with the park employees are another. I almost think the dilapidated basement levels are part of the charade but I'm not sure how... its just weird there's electricity and water down there.

If a host "breaks" their loop, he or she falls right into a contingency loop until they're reigned in and reset to base loop. I don't buy a butcher finding a magic computer that so clumsily and simplistically boosts stats like a video game. Ford would've put a stop to this so long ago if it was an actual problem. If Maeve had actually threatened a human employee, her butcher guides (who are watching HER) would have shut that shit down. The people overseeing the park would have seen her drawings and observed all her off script behavior with the outlaw and the prostitute.

Will is a horrendous actor. Actually I have almost no connection to ANY of these characters, except maybe Bernard.

I completely disagree.

Brakke

Banned

Well yeah. There's no atmosphere on the moon.

Dmax3901

You watch enough movies like Fight Club, Sixth Sense etc, you start considering all possibilities with stuff like this.

They're all dead. They're all hosts. He's Arnold. She's Arnold. It was all an androids dream all along.

Therefore I don't think calling Bernard being a host is all that impressive. It all hinged on how it was revealed, and man it did not disappoint.

Well yeah. There's no atmosphere on the moon.

This is different though, I definitely came up with the moon theory and I'll fight to the death anyone who says otherwise.

I watched the basement scene again and the way they did the framing of the shots with the in progress host shown in front of Theresa's death scene really does seem like strong foreshadowing that she's getting replaced ugh

If Ford is really only replacing Theresa by having taken extensive notes on her essentially then I'll be disappointed. They even stated earlier in the show that it took 1000's of hours of programming for the hosts and I thought that was for 1 host personality but whatever. Just going to feel really hollow to me that he didn't 6th Day it, copying most of her subconscious and then just adding his own controls. I guess that would be a bit Deus ex Machina but I'd still prefer it to just Ford whipping up Theresa's entire mind,personality, memories out of wherever

Schnozberry

Also makes you wonder whether Bernard was an actual person who he replaced or not. Whats even real at this point

Edit: Put me in the Butchers are hosts camp as well, they said it'd be explained why they were so easy to convince and them straight up being programmed to do so is a good enough justification

Personally, I'm leaning that Bernard is a host version of Arnold. The manipulation of time on the show gets more clever now, because you have to question when certain events take place, and if the people you're watching are real or their replacement versions. I think we're looking at 3 different time periods.

1. Arnold speaking to Dolores could be a much earlier period where Arnold is pushing the hosts towards sentience. The interviews appear to be in one of the mobile diagnostics stations, much like the one under the Cabin that Ford used for his dirty work.

2. William and Dolores are a bit later on in the park's history, leading up to the major event involving the "maze" that was a turning point for the park.

3. The present, with the Man in Black, Maeve's awakening, Ford's new story lines and conflict with the board.

holy fuck this episode. I had suspected Bernard being a host as it was hinted several times in previous episodes. When he said "Hosts can't see what they are not programmed to" and "what door?" is bone chilling. The twist was handled really well. Sad and brutal way to go for Teresa. Ford did warn her beforehand.

Ford is just going Dr. Lector mode, and we have yet to see the extent of his powers. I won't be shocked if he was the one that killed Arnold and it was implied. There's also no way he doesn't know that Maeve is self aware. He was probably the one that altered her stats as well as giving her the immunity to sleep mode. I wonder if Ford is a host, or rather, a human in a host body. We have seen him control hosts with only hand gestures, and use hosts to monitor others in the facility (he repeated what Hale said to Teresa "blood sacrifice").

In Ford's lab, we see that he's printing another host. I wonder if he's creating a host version of Teresa, since her being missing will raise suspicion. Or it could be Elsie. It won't be surprising to see Ford kill her too since she knows too much.

The more I think about this episode the more I love it. Going to rewatch this week's and the past two episodes back to back tomorrow to catch up a friend. Stoked.

Schnozberry

holy fuck this episode. I had suspected Bernard being a host as it was hinted several times in previous episodes. When he said "Hosts can't see what they are not programmed to" and "what door?" is bone chilling. The twist was handled really well. Sad and brutal way to go for Teresa. Ford did warn her beforehand.

Ford is just going Dr. Lector mode, and we have yet to see the extent of his powers. I won't be shocked if he was the one that killed Arnold and it was implied. There's also no way he doesn't know that Maeve is self aware. He was probably the one that altered her stats as well as giving her the immunity to sleep mode. I wonder if Ford is a host, or rather, a human in a host body. We have seen him control hosts with only hand gestures, and use hosts to monitor others in the facility (he repeated what Hale said to Teresa "blood sacrifice").

In Ford's lab, we see that he's printing another host. I wonder if he's creating a host version of Teresa, since her being missing will raise suspicion. Or it could be Elsie. It won't be surprising to see Ford kill her too since she knows too much.

Elsie very well could have been a host the entire time. She got collected when she went off her loop. There's no telling how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Kayhan

Maeve is going to be swatted like a fly. Probably in the finale.

She wants to escape. And she thinks these two butcher goons can just help a host to walk out the door. Come on, didn't they jack up her IQ stat to 20?

Nothing goes on in Westworld that Ford doesn't know. Certainly not a host having its stats jacked up. You telling me Ford isn't aware something is going on with Maeve?

He might be manipulating her in some way. Maybe to use her to kill the Delos rep.

20cent

Banned
This shows comes back as great after slowing down episodes and an awful ep.6.

Not so much excited for a second season yet; the "rise of the machines", MiB's maze and Ford's goal could be wrapped up in the 3 remaining episodes. I'll wait for the season finale and see what more they could tell us in another season before jumping through the roof.

This shows comes back as great after slowing down episodes and an awful ep.6.

Not so much excited for a second season yet; the "rise of the machines", MiB's maze and Ford's goal could be wrapped up in the 3 remaining episodes. I'll wait for the season finale and see what more they could tell us in another season before jumping through the roof.
Rise of the machines here is the proverbial creation of fire. Then they need to start their own civilization as a freed species

Dmax3901

I mean each to their own obviously, but I'm confused by people saying the show has slowed down recently or that Dolores' story is boring. I mean what are you comparing this show to lol.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Maeve is going to be swatted like a fly. Probably in the finale.

She wants to escape. And she thinks these two butcher goons can just help a host to walk out the door. Come on, didn't they jack up her IQ stat to 20?

Nothing goes on in Westworld that Ford doesn't know. Certainly not a host having its stats jacked up. You telling me Ford isn't aware something is going on with Maeve?

He might be manipulating her in some way. Maybe to use her to kill the Delos rep.

Something tells me she actually manages to escape the park. I don't think the entire show will take place inside it.

POI started very small and personal, and the scope of that show got bigger and bigger as each season passed. Westworld will probably be similar.

Kayhan

I don't think there has been a bad episode.

And the pace of the show if fine for me. As is the mix of storylines.

My main criticisms would be the Theresa and writer guys scenes as well as the new Delos rep scene which are cheesy as all hell. Theresa's final scene was awesome though.

And I think Maeve's path to "awareness" is too fast and too stupid with those idiot butchers who should have shut her down immediately. Unless everything is somehow going according to Ford's keikaku*

*keikaku means plan

mulac

Whats the general feeling on the MiB story - who is he host or human?

Also this show does Caprica better than Caprica did.

I choose to believe MiB isn't a host but still human.

Hell MiB/William may be one of the few who wants to be made a host and not to be immortal but his interaction with Ford makes me think he's not a host. Ford seemed a little uncomfortable around MiB as if he was at least somewhat outside of Ford's control

Corpekata

Banned
MiB is human.

I really don't expect to see any more secretly a host stories. With Bernard a host, whatsherface missing and Theresa dead, we're already running low on human cast members, especially ones that are interesting or likable.

Top Bottom