• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Moff

If Bernard would look like Arnold, wouldn't everyone know he was a host? Or are we expected to believe no one knows what the co founder of the park looked like?

Tom_Cody

Here's my crackpot theory after rewatching most of the episodes:

William is in face the MiB. There's lots of evidence for this both thematically and evidently. William and MiB are following opposite character arcs, William growing more in love with the park, MiB more disillusioned. MiB seems to be referencing events in William's storyline like the Ghost Nation fight, Lawrence. I also believe that Bernard is in fact Arnold and his talks are in fact thirty years prior to MiB's storyline. Here is where my conjecture takes over. Arnold, through his talks with Dolores is attempting to create sentient life. In fact, the security guy uses the exact same questions early in the series as a diagnostic. That tells me that Arnold's line of questioning did in fact foster sentience. Later on, these questions are used as a diagnostic to know if any of the hosts are becoming sentient. If they are, they are decommissioned. I would suspect this is a protocol instituted by Ford as he believes the hosts are nothing but dolls and cannot think or feel, contrary to what Arnold believed. William falls in love with Dolores. They go on an adventure, and perhaps Dolores achieves true sentience. The park finds out and has her mind wiped. In the intervening thirty years, MiB/William returns frequently to the park to try and break Dolores out of her loop so that they can be together. He mentions that when they (host/guest?) are suffering that is when they are their true self. So in a bizarre way he keeps running through her loop and torturing her to get her to remember every iteration.
My speculation is that something like what you said in the bold will occur.

I think the reveal will be less about the shock that William is the MiB (because no one will be shocked at this point), and more that it will be tied to an additional plot revelation or character revelation. Like that he has been in love with that version of Delores this entire time, or some connection to Arnold (possibly his death), or some really cool scene involving de-aged Hopkins. Something that represents 'the incident from 30 years ago', etc.

As a separate general thought, I think it's possibly that William is not the MiB. His storyline at least parallels the MiB's early days, but they could end up toying with everyone's expectations. For example, I could see them killing William out of nowhere, and then revealing that Ben Barnes is the MiB.

rickyson1

Dolores and William are seriously dragging this show down for me right now

the lack of them in episode 6 made that blindingly obvious once they returned

uncblue

Has anyone else besides the Man in Black addressed Dr. Robert Ford as Robert? It seems like everyone else either refers to him as Dr. Ford or Ford.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Never thought about it being two different time periods before. I did notice the parallel between William and the MiB, but I figured it was just a thematic thing, not a plot thing.

It's an interesting theory, but how does it fit with Delores's timeline? I would think all those conversations between Dolores and Benard, or Delores and old man Robert wouldn't match up.

It's an interesting theory, but how does it fit with Delores's timeline? I would think all those conversations between Dolores and Benard, or Delores and old man Robert wouldn't match up.

In theory Dolores made her journey at least twice, once 30 years ago with William and another in the current timeline, alone, retracing her steps with William. Both timelines are displayed interlaced in the show, that is why some scenes seems repeated with minimal changes (gun, no gun, etc). It is part of the "loop" routines the hosts have.

In Dolores interviews with Bernard, he could not be Bernard but Arnold himself, 35 years ago. Ford's interviews are in the present.

Makai

Never thought about it being two different time periods before. I did notice the parallel between William and the MiB, but I figured it was just a thematic thing, not a plot thing.

That's Arnold, not Bernard. Bernard is an Arnold replica.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Was this already posted? The New York Times ran a decent piece about the recent reveal and Westworld as a whole. Mirrors a lot of my feelings, especially in the last couple episodes.

Westworld Reveals a Big Twist, but Little Heart

That Rolling Stone interview with Evan Rachel Wood was also a great read. Not an actress that has always been on my radar. I'm hoping to see her in more stuff now though.

Future

I also think they will reveal at some point what MIB actually did to Dolores in that haystack.

At first everyone thought that he dragged her back there to rape her in HBO fashion

Then they show him taking out the knife implying he opened her skull. But they cut away fast the second he pulls the knife

I bet this is all misdirection and he probably did and said something more heartwarming to her that revealed he's William. The knife is used for something else.

Kraftwerk

:0

q8lL0L4.jpg

Finaj

I actually hope that's not the case. If it's true, I'm going to be kicking myself for looking online, because I don't think I would have figured it out if it wasn't for discussion boards.

I actually hope that's not the case. If it's true, I'm going to be kicking myself for looking online, because I don't think I would have figured it out if it wasn't for discussion boards.
I think the reveal will still be effective. Like even for those who suspected Bernard was a host, they wrapped that reveal within one hell of a heartbreaking, tense, and gripping scene

I dunno, this could disprove as much as prove, at least from the quoted bits. Those aren't in show order, as the Teddy scene came first. For the MiB scene, we already know that he and Dolores have a history, so no surprise he'd know the line. Now with William, you see Dolores starting to question the idea, she's not saying the exact line like MiB is quoting.

OrionX

Yeah if it's true, I don't think I would've been smart enough to put it together. lol

It is a compelling idea though. William comes to Westworld as such a kind and good-hearted person, it would be interesting to see him become corrupted by the place. His comment to Dolores that Westworld "shows you who you really are" seems telling.

Sepinwall noted that there's no screeners for the rest of the season, so they'll likely be covering a lot of ground (and twists and turns) in the final three episodes this year.

molnizzle

My wife decided she was interested so we're watching them from the start. It's interesting watching it again knowing what I know.

I'm probably gonna binge through the whole season again once it ends. I already kinda started to after episode 6, but after the Bernard reveal I decided I should just wait until it was over.

So what's the going theory on what Delos actually wants from the park?

Blackmail important guests? Replace human politicians and CEOs with robots they control? Robot soldiers?

Corpekata

Banned

Blackmail important guests? Replace human politicians and CEOs with robots they control? Robot soldiers?

I'd bet something along the lines of immortality via conciousness transfer or something along those lines.

Probably whatever Arnold did to himself but in a more practical way.

Moff

robot soldiers would have been my first guess, but we don't know anything about the outside world, maybe it's a peaceful utopia, maybe terminators have fought wars for decades, so who the hell knows

Corpekata

Banned
I feel like robot soldiers would be too simple. We're in a world where life like robots have existed for 30+ years. Even if Ford was fiercely protective of his inventions, things like basic robots have to have been built by other people by now.

robot soldiers would have been my first guess, but we don't know anything about the outside world, maybe it's a peaceful utopia, maybe terminators have fought wars for decades, so who the hell knows
You don't need indistinguishable-from-human machines that can think and adapt for the battlefield. If anything, that would be a waste to have such advanced machines when you could have more effecient effective designs with treads or drones or whatnot

Makai

I feel like robot soldiers would be too simple. We're in a world where life like robots have existed for 30+ years. Even if Ford was fiercely protective of his inventions, things like basic robots have to have been built by other people by now.
I dunno. They don't even seem to have the internet.

Military purposes would be my first guess, specially 35 years from the "now". However, given the ammount of time passed, effort and money investment from Delos all those years, it could not be that simple. Delos could develop a lot of military tools with the same money in the same timeframe by its own. So it must be something special, I guess they discovered what Arnold did and wanted it. Maybe immortality, who knows. Depends who is the head of Delos right now. MiB could be involved in Delos management, as Williams ties to a Logan's family. However he cannot be the head from it, since he seems to persue something different. Another big player is still on the shadows, it is probably next seasons material.

As Bernard already proved, Hosts would be extremely useful as spies and infiltrators for corporate espionage. Actually surprised Delos hasn't used their data to blackmail guests. Like some CEO who likes to engage in rape and murder fantasies or something.

Future

Making host copies of influential individuals would be my guess. Can upload new "narratives" and points of view and the host will instantly agree with them, with a foundation of implanted memories to back them up. Pretty fucked up tbh

I'm actually surprised they went full organic host. I mean is there nothing about a host that distinguishes them from humans? There has gotta be some uplink chips or some crap to be able to upload to their brain and hear through them. Maybe we will find out if Maeve successfully escapes, and we see if a host actually can leave the park (I'd guess not)

I believe Maeve is essentially the audience perspective. She knows as much as we do and we are going to be learning everything right along with her. Every other character has more information than us, and the audience only catches up when they decide to reveal it to us

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

My guesses in no particular order:

- Political blackmail by spying on guests.
- Artificial agents for espionage, perfect because they're disposable and believe they are who they say they are until hidden instructions trigger.
- Cheaply 3D printed AI workers. Essentially a new slave industry. First to market with that gets super rich.
- The original Futureworld plot of outright replacing leaders with hosts.
- Key to human immortality with host bodies that can accept the human mind. With exclusive rights owned by one company.

Personally I think it's more interesting to consider what Ford may want, being at cross purposes to Delos rather than collaborating. He's obviously ruthless and amoral. Is he just a madman "telling his stories" and holding Delos hostage via the park's database? Does he also have plans for the hosts, but ones that are even more ambitious or flat out weirder?

He lamented humanity being at a dead end. Is he trying to create humanity's successor, but has extremely exacting standards? Thus, unlike Arnold, won't allow himself to believe the hosts are truly sentient until they achieve some criteria? (Perhaps he wants to see the end of an experiment Arnold began, himself.)

Top Bottom