• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Pooya

They realized that they have only 2 more episodes to link him to the MiB, next episode he will be scalping natives to be tougher

From this episode, MiB seemingly became who he is now after killing Maeve in the flash back and that was just like 5 years ago right? He hasn't been doing this for that long.

From this episode, MiB seemingly became who he is now after killing Maeve in the flash back and that was just like 5 years ago right? He hasn't been doing this for that long.

A single year ago, I think. He said his wife died last year. and I think it was after the disconnect from his daughter that he went to kill the host child to see what he felt.

This means Maeve has been working at the brothel for less than a year as well.

Alpende

Have you guys noticed how William's hat has gotten dirtier through the series. Or less white, really:

Episode 2:

Episode 3:

Episode 5:

Episode 8:

Even if it's a little bit less white it makes sense. They are roaming around in dirt all day long, of course it won't stay ice white. I think this is reaching.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Those scenes where you see her back in the lab talking to Bernard etc. are actually flashbacks. Dolores hasn't died or been reset once the whole time she has been with William in that specific timeline.

Her flashbacks showing her dead or with the gun to her head are also flashbacks to different timelines where she made the journey herself. The deaths are just showing that she kept getting things wrong or dying before getting to where she was trying to go.

Yup. Total dark tower.
Do it again, but better.

This is her grand loop, and she's doomed to repeat it till she gets it just right and fulfills whatever it is arnold (or ford) wants her to. Likely each go around she learns a little more, gets a little more human each time, and at the end she has to defy an order and demonstrate free will. Once she's done that, whatever this is all about happens - Ford And Arnold have now made life that has surpassed themselves, and the Board wants to be stealing that data. Likely what MiB has instructed them to do, William wants all the stories for himself and this is the last chapter.

They've gone out of the way several times with a Ford and various characters to mention that none of the existing staff was around 34 years ago... not QA, not this narrative writer, not the young Board Exec, not Bernard. His "new narrative" is likely the exact same as the Original narrative (and no one on staff is recognizing the signs yet), he's re creating the first turn in the wheel now that he's had 30 years to "evolve" his creations to see if they are ready for his next level - gaining free will and breaking out of the "maze" of human control.

Something like that is my spec.

Did anyone notice that, when we saw the flashback to Ford and Barnard 'handling" Maeve following the death of her 'daughter', when Ford commented on her fragmentation, there was a map of her brain on his tablet, which was the maze.

Yeah, that supports my theory that the maze is what Arnold built to give the hosts true awakening, rather than a literal maze.

hGrUUmq.png

The image isn't exactly the maze, but I think the two line up too nicely for it to be coincidence.

Kayhan

We saw Maeve commit suicide right in front of Ford.

Why didn't they permanently decommission her right there instead of giving her the madam persona?

A single year ago, I think. He said his wife died last year. and I think it was after the disconnect from his daughter that he went to kill the host child to see what he felt.

And this is why I believe he is on a suicide mission. The death of his wife and the estrangement of his daughter clearly messed him up. So much so that he came back and killed a mother and daughter himself, to see if the feeling compared to what he felt like on the outside.

The Man in Black: At any point, I could blow up or collapse like some dark star or...
Teddy: Did you hurt them, too?
The Man in Black: Never. They never saw anything like the man I am in here. But she knew anyway. She said if I stacked up all my good deeds, it was just an elegant wall I built to hide what's inside from everyone, and from myself.

Hector Escaton: It's simple. I believe that only the truly brave can look at the world and understand that all of it gods, men, everything else will end badly. No one will be saved.
The Man in Black: Maybe we've got more in common than I thought.

It's kinda cathartic that my belief is he wants to bring 'life' to the hosts so that they can take his, a weird kind of repentance for falling in love with Westworld/Dolores and setting in motion the series of events that led to the breakdown of his family.

*This idea is under the assumption that Will Smith is the Man in Black of course.

okdakor

We saw Maeve commit suicide right in front of Ford.

Why didn't they permanently decommission her right there instead of giving her the madam persona?

We saw Dolores in the beta-test park, commit suicide after having killing everyone, and they kept her for 30 years+ without sending her to the storage. And during these 30 years she was glitching, trying to go back to the beta-town,...
Abernathy had one mental breakdown and he's decommissioned instantly.

Jarmel

Banned
We saw Dolores in the beta-test park, commit suicide after having killing everyone, and they kept her for 30 years+ without sending her to the storage. And during these 30 years she was glitching, trying to go back to the beta-town,...

Female = Multiple Chances

The one who got lobotimized was on her ninth.

KingKong

I really think the two timeline people are over-complicating things. Just think about what has actually happened in the story

the hosts get the 'reverie' update
this update causes them to access past memories, which causes them to glitch out
the latest episode explains that the memories are as real to them as anything else
we see Maeve experience these memories and with her new abilities change them in her mind by cutting the MiBs throat
we see Teddy experience these memories and react by attacking the MiB
we see Dolores experience these memories and freak out because she doesn't understand when she is

It's like they picked the goofiest names possible for Felix and Sylvester.
They're based on cartoon cats.
Sylvester always acting in retaliation to tweety bird, and always losing out. Felix the Cat however has a bag of tricks, and is smart, and heroic.

He's even trying to bring a bird back to life.

They're based on cartoon cats.
Sylvester always acting in retaliation to tweety bird, and always losing out. Felix the Cat however has a bag of tricks, and is smart, and heroic.

He's even trying to bring a bird back to life.

I immediately made the connection to Sylvester the cat and Felix the cat, but I didn't realize that this was intentional.

Corpekata

Banned
How is everyone so sure that Church town was a beta test? Is it mentioned or just implied?

In the Ford Flashback he mentions it and we see bits of it. It's where they socialized them to get them to pass the Turing Test. Specifically mentioned dancing as one of the things they made them practice.

I really think the two timeline people are over-complicating things. Just think about what has actually happened in the story

the hosts get the 'reverie' update
this update causes them to access past memories, which causes them to glitch out
the latest episode explains that the memories are as real to them as anything else
we see Maeve experience these memories and with her new abilities change them in her mind by cutting the MiBs throat
we see Teddy experience these memories and react by attacking the MiB
we see Dolores experience these memories and freak out because she doesn't understand when she is
Maeve didn't change anything. That was shown while MIB was talking

FStop7

Banned
Since Stubbs is now suspicious of Bernard I kind of expect him to somehow find that photo of Ford and "Arnold" and then he'll know what's up.

Kayhan

I got to believe Maeve's rebellion has to come crashing down.

Who knew the robot revolution would be this easy to start.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Why does that bother you? There are multiple things Dolores are seeing. The town with the church is a testing area during the beta before the park opened. It is where they first trained the hosts. Something happens there and Arnold dies. Ford literally buries the town along with its secrets and opens the park to the public. Dolores feels drawn back to the place, and William is the one who actually takes her there, but they don't get to finish their journey. She remains trapped in her loop for 30 years until MiB returns to reawaken her. And she starts following Arnold's calling again, retracing her steps, but because she is remembering now, as she journeys through unfamiliar territory her only anchor is the one time she traveled it before - with William. Her memories are triggered by people and places she has encountered before in the past.

We know that in the entire Arnold storyline, Dolores is the lone witness left who knows exactly what happened. She is the last person to speak to Arnold before he dies. So it is already established that as far as what the show would need to show us eventually, there are these events. There is no question now that William's story is happening in the past. We have factual confirmation from the show that he is in a time that is inconsistent with the present. Ford already dug up the town.
This is on point. I'll just add the foreshadowing of how "vivid the hosts memories are" compared to humans. Which explains her "unreliable POV" or "merging timelines" or however you want to label it.

Teletraan1

Banned

All of the decommissions we have seen have been QA or corporate espionage related. Ford and Bernard were against each and every one of those but had to appease QA to get them off his ass for the bad rollout. Woodcutter was QA pulling the strings for board member to steal tech so they tried to cover it up. Prostitute was another QA fuckjob trying to get ford to admit something. Abernathy I can't remember the scene exactly but I would imagine he failed the test they give. He questioned the nature of his reality openly prior to being taken in. Maeve and Dolores both seem to be able to beat that test.

watch it again, it's actually pretty clever. MiB starts telling Teddy what happened, then it changes to Maeves POV where she makes up a different memory where she kills him, and then back to MiB

She doesn't kill him in the flashback, but still slashes at his neck. You can see the injury mark when he walks out and watches Maeve.

I got to believe Maeve's rebellion has to come crashing down.

Who knew the robot revolution would be this easy to start.
Honestly, I don't understand why they needed to have the asshole butcher in the first place. The plot would work infinitely better with just the sympathetic guy who enjoys the progamming and inner-workings of it all and sees the hosts as alive and not that different from humans

It's the asshole guy who makes the plotline frustrating because it makes no sense why he just follows along and lets everything happen

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
For posterity:

L+SD ratings

Episode 1: 1.96 million
Episode 2: 1.50 million
Episode 3: 2.10 million
Episode 4: 1.70 million
Episode 5: 1.50 million
Episode 6: 1.60 million
Episode 7: 1.74 million
Episode 8: 1.77 million

spootime

So.. question: Do we know the current location and whereabouts of Dolores? This is assuming the dual timeframe theory is true. I believe the only time we've seen her in the "current" timeframe is when MIB drags her into the barn. Have we seen her since?

So.. question: Do we know the current location and whereabouts of Dolores? This is assuming the dual timeframe theory is true. I believe the only time we've seen her in the "current" timeframe is when MIB drags her into the barn. Have we seen her since?

I totally forgot about this, what happened to current Dolores, she killed handle bar mustache in the barn and then walked out of the scene. The next scene we see, she stumbles onto young William...

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Presumably current Delores is following the same path as when she went on her adventure with William. Like when she was alone on the train, or was at the border town. We get tiny glimpses of her current adventure.

I didn't buy into the timeline theory until it was clear the show was being deceptive about it. Like when the control room commented on her being in the town but didn't confirm who she was with. Then we go to her perspective with William and someone approaches her and asks if she wants to go back. That's clearly deceptive because it wants you to think that the control room did this, but it would have happened the same way if she was off loop in the past. The two appear connected but they purposely avoid clear and undeniable connections between what's going on "now" and Delores and William's story. It's in this bubble.

Flo_Evans

Was thinking last night she is in cold storage. She is just remembering all of her past memories. The maze, being a "sum total of a (wo)mans life" MIB fucked her head up just like Meave.

We saw in the 1st episode the cooling was broken and they were going to neutralize a host that re-actived (turned out to be ford and old host).

Maeve's subplot is just so dumb. I'm still really enjoying the show, but everything about it is ridiculous and requires a huge suspension of disbelief.

Its implied that the MiB was always a a bastard in the park. That's why his wife killed herself. He only went super dark when he pushed himself to kill a defenseless mother and child to see if he felt anything. He didn't feel anything until he saw Maeve get back up and act in an unhostlike behavior. At that point his cruelty was no longer motivated by power fantasy, but because he thought suffering would make the hosts' real humanity surface and the real game would reveal itself.

I think how you see MiB when hes with Teddy and Lawrence is pretty much how he has played for the last thirty years. Just different motivation.

We're already seeing hints of William's coldness toward hosts. And based on the episode promo we will see him finally
cut open a host with his knife.

bounchfx

She doesn't kill him in the flashback, but still slashes at his neck. You can see the injury mark when he walks out and watches Maeve.

I was under the impression the hosts couldn't kill guests? At least not during the time the flashback is taking place. She might very well have slashed his throat but due to her programming could not do enough damage to make a significant cut or mark, just something light that he could walk away from.

Stark contrast to how they show her in the present timeline very much cutting the throat of the other dude

Revolver

Yeah, that supports my theory that the maze is what Arnold built to give the hosts true awakening, rather than a literal maze.

http://i.imgur.com/hGrUUmq.png[IMG]

The image isn't exactly the maze, but I think the two line up too nicely for it to be coincidence.[/QUOTE]

I think the "map" MiB took from the scalped host is more like an appliance schematic and not an actual location. So yeah, I think you're right.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Shes on the outskirts of beta town caught in a loop reliving her trip with William. It's why we see flashes of her being alone without William such as in the cemetery outside Pariah, the train heading out of Pariah, and in the last episode when she's at the river and sees her dead body she looks back towards William and the boy but nobody's there. This is what she meant whe she asked William "When are we?". She has latent programming from Arnold that forces her to seek out the maze and in doing so she relives all the other times she has sought it simultaneously in order to help her finish it by not repeating mistakes she has made in past trips.

What we're seeing is her current solo trip from her fucked up point of view. Once she reaches the end of her loop with William she'll have to snap out of it and realize what's going on or alter something such as killing William by killing the MiB in order to complete the maze.

No, the show will definitely evolve. It isn't about the park. It's about "the origin of a new species". The park is just a petri dish
And once they leave the park I'll be done, it and its inhabitants are billion times more interesting than the corporate buffoonery on display.

I have about thirty percent confidence they'll handle the transition smoothly. Even this season is nearing "do not buy the blu ray" territory.

For the record I've said since the beginning people were creating new smoke monsters to be disappointed in- this is pulpy pulp and that's its strength.

Shes on the outskirts of beta town caught in a loop reliving her trip with William. It's why we see flashes of her being alone without William such as in the cemetery outside Pariah, the train heading out of Pariah, and in the last episode when she's at the river and sees her dead body she looks back towards William and the boy but nobody's there. This is what she meant whe she asked William "When are we?". She has latent programming from Arnold that forces her to seek out the maze and in doing so she relives all the other times she has sought it simultaneously in order to help her finish it by not repeating mistakes she has made in past trips.

What we're seeing is her current solo trip from her fucked up point of view. Once she reaches the end of her loop with William she'll have to snap out of it and realize what's going on or alter something such as killing William by killing the MiB in order to complete the maze.

Wait has she died in the river yet? In any of the episodes? Or is that foreshadowing something.

Top Bottom