• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Jezbollah

I have to say, the scenes when Maeve was shown "upstairs" with the strings cover of "Motion Picture Soundtrack" has to go down as an all time TV moment from me. It was majestic.

Presumably current Delores is following the same path as when she went on her adventure with William. Like when she was alone on the train, or was at the border town. We get tiny glimpses of her current adventure.

I didn't buy into the timeline theory until it was clear the show was being deceptive about it. Like when the control room commented on her being in the town but didn't confirm who she was with. Then we go to her perspective with William and someone approaches her and asks if she wants to go back. That's clearly deceptive because it wants you to think that the control room did this, but it would have happened the same way if she was off loop in the past. The two appear connected but they purposely avoid clear and undeniable connections between what's going on "now" and Delores and William's story. It's in this bubble.

That's the one point that really gets me. If the control room sent someone in the past to retrieve her, but William stopped it, then who's there to stop them from retrieving her in the current time? Why have the show point out that the control room is keeping an eye on her, then not follow through with them putting her back in her loop?

Lorcain

I was hoping the William=MiB theory wasn't going to be true, but after this episode, they pretty much slammed us over the head with supporting clues courtesy of the fireside chat with Teddy. MiB details a life that lines up too neatly with William's situation.

The reason I don't want the theory to be true is because I like William, and I don't want him to turn into heartless MiB.

I was bummed to see Meave's Cylon revolution end so quickly. It just shows that despite all of the upgrades she made to herself, her thoughts and flashbacks can get the better of her.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Wait has she died in the river yet? In any of the episodes? Or is that foreshadowing something.
She saw her dead body in the river when she went to get water in the last episode. It's an echo of a past loop just like the version of herself she saw in beta town committing suicide or the version of herself in the Pariah parade.

Saw this on twitter. I like the way it was put together.

uhmGucH.jpg

Scirrocco

Shes on the outskirts of beta town caught in a loop reliving her trip with William. It's why we see flashes of her being alone without William such as in the cemetery outside Pariah, the train heading out of Pariah, and in the last episode when she's at the river and sees her dead body she looks back towards William and the boy but nobody's there. This is what she meant whe she asked William "When are we?". She has latent programming from Arnold that forces her to seek out the maze and in doing so she relives all the other times she has sought it simultaneously in order to help her finish it by not repeating mistakes she has made in past trips.

What we're seeing is her current solo trip from her fucked up point of view. Once she reaches the end of her loop with William she'll have to snap out of it and realize what's going on or alter something such as killing William by killing the MiB in order to complete the maze.

The thing about this is, if what were seeing is Dolores reliving her past trip with William, how is it we've been able to see things she was not present for? Like his arrival in the park, and and the times when it was just him and Logan?

Unless we're seeing anothert timeline AND her flashing back to the same timeline from the future which seems kind of overly complicated.

The thing about this is, if what were seeing is Dolores reliving her past trip with William, how is it we've been able to see things she was not present for? Like his arrival in the park, and and the times when it was just him and Logan?

Unless we're seeing anothert timeline AND her flashing back to the same timeline from the future which seems kind of overly complicated.

She's like Picard in All Good Things. We're seeing all of the timelines from different PoV's, but when Dolores is in the same place in each of the timelines shit gets weird. Only difference is she doesn't age, so it's hard to know which timeline she's seeing.

We all believe MiB's account of his wife's death, right? I took it at face value, as I doubt he would bother lying to hosts, but my fiancee is skeptical. I don't think the Maeve stuff makes sense if he's actually a murder before that.

Ferrio

Banned
We all believe MiB's account of his wife's death, right? I took it at face value, as I doubt he would bother lying to hosts, but my fiancee is skeptical. I don't think the Maeve stuff makes sense if he's actually a murder before that.

That would be really stupid on the part of the writers if that was true. Right now there's a lot of misdirection, but I don't think any character has outright lied to the audience.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That's the one point that really gets me. If the control room sent someone in the past to retrieve her, but William stopped it, then who's there to stop them from retrieving her in the current time? Why have the show point out that the control room is keeping an eye on her, then not follow through with them putting her back in her loop?
That's one of the things that doesn't add up too.

Paganmoon

Crazy theory, but some are saying Dolores has been on this journey before, and the "other" ones she sees are failed attempts, which sort of sounds plausible., So anyway, I found it a bit weird, at the river cause I thought William would definitely kill the wounded soldier, but didn't, but then it felt like just the next shot he was dead.

So here's the crazy theory, what if, William has been with her on all those attempts (minus this final theorized one where she might just be going alone), and Dolores memories are getting mixed up, as in one attempt, Dolores convinced William to help the soldier, but in another attempt, William killed the soldier, and Dolores just cut between the two memories!

That's one of the things that doesn't add up too.

the idea goes that it's a red herring, control room sent someone 30 years ago as well (when she was there before, with William), and they just cut between the two, so we don't know what "really" happened in the present timeline when they sent someone to collect her. At least, that's the general theory on it.

Yup. Total dark tower.
Do it again, but better.

This is her grand loop, and she's doomed to repeat it till she gets it just right and fulfills whatever it is arnold (or ford) wants her to. Likely each go around she learns a little more, gets a little more human each time, and at the end she has to defy an order and demonstrate free will. Once she's done that, whatever this is all about happens - Ford And Arnold have now made life that has surpassed themselves, and the Board wants to be stealing that data. Likely what MiB has instructed them to do, William wants all the stories for himself and this is the last chapter.

They've gone out of the way several times with a Ford and various characters to mention that none of the existing staff was around 34 years ago... not QA, not this narrative writer, not the young Board Exec, not Bernard. His "new narrative" is likely the exact same as the Original narrative (and no one on staff is recognizing the signs yet), he's re creating the first turn in the wheel now that he's had 30 years to "evolve" his creations to see if they are ready for his next level - gaining free will and breaking out of the "maze" of human control.

Something like that is my spec.

I don't think the remaining run time can handle such a grand and conclusive finale. I predict its going to be unanswered valley.

And, why compare Westworld to Dark tower when the Matrix has much more similar plot.

You have the repeated loops to gain awakening; you have the conflict between human and machine; plus questioning of reality etc etc.

So if MiB is William, we're totally gonna get a scene where we see William's mole get cut off right. Cause honestly that's what bugs me the most lol, hell we can also just have him say "It's me Delores! I got my mole laser removed"

Also my name is William so actually having a show with a character named William continues to odd me out. It really doesn't seem to be a name used that often in movies/TV that I've seen

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I think I would be enjoying this show more if I had never encountered this multiple timeline theorizing. I spend far too much of every episode questioning when things are happening than I would like, and it's starting to get more and more annoying the longer it gets dragged out. In the end, it's made the show feel purposefully vague to me in a way that is not all the compelling. This puzzle box concept just makes the writing seem too contrived to be able to effectively delve into the strong thematic content that is there is well.

I hope that all of this gets resolved definitively by the end of this season, as it will allow subsequent seasons to live and die on the content rather than the mysteries, which do more to distract from the character development and thematic exploration than they do to deepen it.

What are people's theories about the group of people we saw at the end of this episode? The almost look like an amalgamation of vikings and knights/Roman soldiers.

Romeworld and Vikingworld confirmed! /s

Haven't confirmed it personally, but the Westworld podcast I listen pointed out another potential timeline clue: no flies around dead bodies in the William era, flies all the time in MIB era

GavinUK86

Saw this on twitter. I like the way it was put together.

I think it works better this way.

16bAPtv.png

Haven't confirmed it personally, but the Westworld podcast I listen pointed out another potential timeline clue: no flies around dead bodies in the William era, flies all the time in MIB era

Yeah, I read about that theory in a review (can't remember what one though). It's possible. I have been noticing a lot of flies in the MIB scenes.

Treo360

So if MiB is William, we're totally gonna get a scene where we see William's mole get cut off right. Cause honestly that's what bugs me the most lol, hell we can also just have him say "It's me Delores! I got my mole laser removed"

Also my name is William so actually having a show with a character named William continues to odd me out. It really doesn't seem to be a name used that often in movies/TV that I've seen

That, and he'd have to grow much taller.

Moff

I was joking, but re-reading that I can see how it's hard to tell. I was actually serious with my question, though. Are there any interesting theories about this group?
I dont think we need theories for them. It's wyatt's band of jolly murderers and they like to act and dress up crazy.

Venom Fox

Banned
Seems like I was kind of right about the data and the maze, I was wrong and it is Delos who is trying to use the 35 years worth of data to unlock the hosts and integrate them into society.

While its my least favorite storyline in the series, I think the hate Meave story gets is a bit overblown. Just my opinion.

I do love the way how the series opens up the multiple timeline thing more and more each episode. We were afraid the show was misleading us by showing multiple timelines without any indication, but the fact that hosts can't see the difference between time periods is what sells it in my opinion.

It's pretty cool in my book that hosts basically experience time like we would experience it if we weren't bound to human rules. All time is right now, actually, the past, present and future are all at the same time, but the way we experience it as humans is past, present and future. Because the ties that make hosts experience time at the same way are slowly unraveling, they are seeing multiple periods at the same time. Its basically how a super being would experience universal time, only with more control of it of course because he's a super being and hosts are just human made bots.

I really like that. Now only to have William = MiB to be confirmed. I still think the theory is correct but we'll see.

Loving the show!

Why is no one asking about the medieval type people coming out the dark in the end? What was up with that?
They're not new - the Wyatt cult wears pagan stuff and they appear to be devil worshipper types. They've been that way since the Wyatt story was put in a few episodes back.

Solo

There isn't going to be a Medieval World or Viking World or Rome World. That's just not realistic and in line with budgetary constraints. For however long the show runs, it'll continue having 2 locations: Westworld and the real world.

Arkeband

Banned
What is this gif supposed to show? That he has different reactions?

It's from a YouTube video where a guy goes a little overboard analyzing every tick and quirk Hopkins does in his god-tier line deliveries.

The GIF just cut out part of it to be a funny reaction gif.

Kworn

Banned
What if MiB is William's brother in law?

Makes sense since his wife questioned his character at a place like West world and we haven't seen William on a dark streak (yet at least).

What if MiB is William's brother in law?

Makes sense since his wife questioned his character at a place like West world and we haven't seen William on a dark streak (yet at least).
This is only based on just learning of this whole theory right now lol.
Edit: I hoped this would have brought me to the top of the next page tbh.

I watched a couple times, but couldn't tell.

When Benard asks Ford if he's killed anyone else before he has a 'memory' of flashback or whatever. Was that Elsie he was choking out?

We don't have confirmation she's dead, but.....yikes.

Top Bottom