• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So is Bernard ironically the Sam Bean of this show - maybe appears in the past for a bit and that's it.
Uh no? He's a robot. Ford apparently rebuilds him with some frequency.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
That was a goddamn excellent hour of television. Some great acting in this one.

However, I think the Internet is hurting this show in a way I can't recall happening in any show before. Literally every single twist has been sussed out weeks in advance by overzealous sleuths. Like I said, this was a damn good hour of television. But it had like 3 major reveals that didn't hit with the ooomph they should have because the Internet analysts have been going over every frame with a fine tooth comb since day one and discovered them. Maybe it's just me, but Westworld has really turned me from those kind of viewing habits. Makes me want to go back to just watching shows in a bubble, in a way. I love the discussion and debate but I can't help but feel like this level or scrutiny is hurting my enjoyment.

I don't think the internet hurt the show. A lot of the stuff the sleuths figured out was stuff that was pretty obvious or heavily hinted at just by watching the show...especially if you are a viewer who tends to pick up on details. I appreciate that the show lays breadcrumbs for folks to figure stuff out but I think the problem is that there are too many of them. So if anything its the writing of the show that's at fault... not the fact that people figured out the stuff that the show runners wanted (?) folks to figure out.

Mannnnn I'm going to need to read some recaps because this shit is heavy and I think I know what's going on but really I might have no idea

Solo

Absolutely Ford has been fucking with Dolores. Adds a real sinister undertone to Dolores' "are we old friends?" and Ford's "I wouldn't say that at all" from weeks back.

I love this show.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Then what's this goodbye. Decomissioning him.
Because he's going to erase Bernard yet again and at that point he isn't the same guy.

He basically told him that the entire scenario with Bernard confronting Ford occurs all of the time.

Called it, and it's pretty clear that his "new narrative", along with Maeve's uprising, are just a way to get rid of the board once and for all. It actually reminds me of the MiB from that other big mystery show and his plan to get rid of Jack and friends: get them all into a secluded place where there's no hope of escape.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

However, I think the Internet is hurting this show in a way I can't recall happening in any show before. Literally every single twist has been sussed out weeks in advance by overzealous sleuths. Like I said, this was a damn good hour of television. But it had like 3 major reveals that didn't hit with the ooomph they should have because the Internet analysts have been going over every frame with a fine tooth comb since day one and discovered them. Maybe it's just me, but Westworld has really turned me from those kind of viewing habits. Makes me want to go back to just watching shows in a bubble, in a way. I love the discussion and debate but I can't help but feel like this level or scrutiny is hurting my enjoyment. I've been feeling it on some level for a while, but this episode really solidified the feeling for me.

Yeah this episode should have had the same feeling as "what door?", but I was expecting every single thing that happened. Still a great episode.

jfkgoblue

Funny how the theories were all true. The internet nailed it even though the writers used cheap tricks to obscure things.

How do we know this? I must have missed something.
It's a theory, but you remember earlier this season when "Bernard" was having chats with Dolores? Well after the last one she is talking to someone about hiding info from him. We find out in today's episode that she was actually talking to Arnold and that Ford used her to kill him. This IMO shows that she was talking to Ford afterwards in the plot to kill him.

Burt

Because he's going to erase Bernard yet again and at that point he isn't the same guy.

He's going to leave Bernard in there so that everyone thinks Bernard committed suicide after getting fired. If he wanted more Bernarnold, he could've just wiped him, or at least would've taken him somewhere else for an easy rebuild if he wanted to actually physically rebuild him. He left Bernard's corpse exactly where you would think Bernard would kill himself after getting fired.

Err, nevermind, Bernard did see whats his face Hemsworth after getting reinstated, I guess.. so I dunno.

He already reinstated Bernard. There was an entire conversation in Episode 8 where Hemsworth welcomed him back.

Not to mention Ford tells Bernard the entire scenario with Bernard confronting Ford asking for his memories and threatening him has happened multiple times. There's no reason whatsoever that Ford would have Bernard decommissioned.

Yeah, as soon as I walked away that occurred to me.

vehn

If William was interacting with Dolores in her white shirt... and then MIB sees Dolores in the church with the white shirt... doesn't that mean William != MIB?

Angry Grimace

He's going to leave Bernard in there so that everyone thinks Bernard committed suicide after getting fired. If he wanted more Bernarnold, he could've just wiped him, or at least would've taken him somewhere else for an easy rebuild if he wanted to actually physically rebuild him. He left Bernard's corpse exactly where you would think Bernard would kill himself after getting fired.
He already reinstated Bernard. There was an entire conversation in Episode 8 where Hemsworth welcomed him back.

Not to mention Ford tells Bernard the entire scenario with Bernard confronting Ford asking for his memories and threatening him has happened multiple times. There's no reason whatsoever that Ford would have Bernard decommissioned.

If William was interacting with Dolores in her white shirt... and then MIB sees Dolores in the church with the white shirt... doesn't that mean William != MIB?

No, because the picture of Logan's sister establishes that the William storyline takes place in the past.

Solo

I don't think the internet hurt the show. A lot of the stuff the sleuths figured out was stuff that was pretty obvious or heavily hinted at just by watching the show...especially if you are a viewer who tends to pick up on details. I appreciate that the show lays breadcrumbs for folks to figure stuff out but I think the problem is that there are too many of them. So if anything its the writing of the show that's at fault... not the fact that people figured out the stuff that the show runners wanted (?) folks to figure out.

Oh, the breadcrumbs are certainly there and yes, many would pick up on a lot of them. I have no problem with that. That is compelling and hooks you as a viewer. I'm not talking about a viewer connecting the dots and forming an idea of where the narrative is headed - like, I don't know how anyone couldn't have picked up on William = MiB. But I think there is a big difference, at least for me, between an astute viewer piecing things together and the cultural zeitgeist poring over every last detail and trying to unravel the mystery ahead of time through social media. If it doesn't bother anyone else, that's cool, I'm just starting to realize that it isn't a form of viewing that interests me like it used to. Makes the show feel to me less like narrative, theme and characters to consume and more like a puzzle to be solved.

I'm in too deep now in S1, haha, but I think I'll watch S2 in a different manner.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
How can old man in black be in the past now? That church is buried in the present, unless Ford was clearing it for the new narrative? Also her cut was gone.

Arkeband

Banned
What I think is that it was Arnold talking to her, but the voice she spoke too afterward was Ford, as they planned his murder.

He seemed menacing when she asked if they were friends.

Ford does not regard robots as humans, so it would make sense for him to dismiss that notion, but the way the lines have been delivered it makes it seem like Dolores killed Arnold in the midst of "bootstrapping" them into humanity, and Ford holds a grudge against her for that.

But then again he also just gave a monologue about not dwelling on the past, so a grudge doesn't seem right.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
How can old man in black be in the past now? That church is buried in the present, unless Ford was clearing it for the new narrative? Also her cut was gone.
We have to assume Ford dug it out between the conversation with the kid robot and now, I guess?

Kind of a trick to be honest

Azzanadra

One thing y'all have to remember is that this season is a "prequel", the show that follows could be varying shades of different, to the point at which we may never even see certain characters/plot lines again.

cLOUDo

So there is 3 loop of Dolores?
- Dolores with the dress (past, first meet with arnorld/Bernard)
- Dolores with pants and not injured (present, MIB timeline)
Dolores with pants and injured (past, William timeline)

Angry Grimace

He had a bunch of earth movers and stuff to do his new narrative which was apparently in the church town.

We have to assume Ford dug it out between the conversation with the kid robot and now, I guess?

What? We know he's been digging up that area since the end of episode 2. He showed Bernard the church steeple while talking about his new storyline, and then we see him excavating an area

Ford's orchestrating the "robot rebellion" so that they can kill the board, which would let him rule over Westworld like a god; excavating the church is one way to get make some of them sentient once more, due to their connection with Arnold. Other nuisances, like MiB, he makes workarounds for, like with the noose attached to the horse.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

However, I think the Internet is hurting this show in a way I can't recall happening in any show before. Literally every single twist has been sussed out weeks in advance by overzealous sleuths. Like I said, this was a damn good hour of television. But it had like 3 major reveals that didn't hit with the ooomph they should have because the Internet analysts have been going over every frame with a fine tooth comb since day one and discovered them. Maybe it's just me, but Westworld has really turned me from those kind of viewing habits. Makes me want to go back to just watching shows in a bubble, in a way. I love the discussion and debate but I can't help but feel like this level or scrutiny is hurting my enjoyment. I've been feeling it on some level for a while, but this episode really solidified the feeling for me.

Just stop reading the internet about things you like. I started doing it after the first episode of Mr. Robot S2 onward and have enjoyed television so much more than I was while participating in threads like these. I only peruse threads at this point for write ups and reviews from publications.

I feel this way about a lot of the stuff surrounding the two timelines. The Bernard stuff I feel has played fair, but timelines stuff just feels often overly deceptive on the shows part. Also, we still really haven't gotten a good reason for the presentation of the two timelines yet and it has been confirmed, heck we are getting more flashbacks to scenes Dolores wasn't present for next week.

Maybe it's all part of Ford's narrative.

The actress who plays Dolores said the first season of Westworld was a prequel.
Understandably. They can't keep the show in the park for five seasons. The park is merely the breeding ground for self-awareness

Plus, they've been subtly placing hints about the state of the outside world since episode 1

I'm honestly really mixed on this show, I feel like the production is great and the acting tends to be pretty great as well. But I'm just not finding it all that compelling anymore. I guess I'm just not a fan of how they chose to write and frame all of this, especially if it's just a prequel ^ like everyone else is bringing up. Is the rest of this series always gonna be so vague and hide the truth from us? I hope not, I don't want to watch another season just waiting for the twists to all get revealed at the end. I want to enjoy the actual story they are trying to tell, or at least, trying to tell you in so many different ways as to make the show seems more complex than it is.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So everyone was cool with an Arnold clone walking around being called Bernard? Or did Ford kill all the employees that existed with him and Arnold. Or were they all robots.

royalan

There was one timejump the show tried to sneak in at the end there. When Dolores in the blue dress follows Ford into the room and down the stairs, the room is empty. Calling it now:

We see Dolores go to the door for the first time when we see her follow Ford. But we don't actually see what she discovered in THAT loop. We timejump to another instance of Dolores making it to the end of the maze. I bet that the first time Dolores makes it through the maze, and follows Ford through the door, she walks in in the middle of an argument, and Ford orders her to kill Bernard.

Chase17

The Maeve stuff has gotten fairly shaky but scenes with Bernard or Ford are excellent. Enjoying the William and Logan plot line as well.

Xion385

So everyone was cool with an Arnold clone walking around being called Bernard? Or did Ford kill all the employees that existed with him and Arnold. Or were they all robots.

I forgot the line exactly, but I remember Bernard saying that there hasn't been an incident in 30 years. I'm just guessing that this is similar to what's happening with Maeve right now and she's going to wipe out everyone except Ford because he has a backdoor fail safe on her.

Angry Grimace

What? We know he's been digging up that area since the end of episode 2. He showed Bernard the church steeple while talking about his new storyline, and then we see him excavating an area
Is the town with the church Escalante? The same town where Teddy thinks the Wyatt stuff happened? I assumed it was but nobody specifically said that.

I assume the town and church was buried since it was the original test site (and probably due to the massacre that Dolores saw in her flashback).

Top Bottom