• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Pooya

So those natives are surely part of the new narrative, right? I guess it's some kind of invasion and you have Maeve and gang too,

The preview is quite nuts.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Maeve seems like such an afterthought.

She actually makes Dolores' story shittier because she's getting shit done way quicker and without having to make 200 mile pilgrimages every loop

pa22word

So everyone was cool with an Arnold clone walking around being called Bernard? Or did Ford kill all the employees that existed with him and Arnold. Or were they all robots.

My guess is that William timeline is around the time Bernard wakes up the first time, so with a big tragic event like the loss of the founder causing high turnover in the years plus Ford's Ken Levine-ification by the board that led to the scrubbing of Arnold led to not many questions asked.

Plus, didn't we see Delores mow down a bunch of people when she apparently went rampage mode and killed Arnold originally? Maybe she mowed down a good percentage of them right then and there, with the rest leaving due to aforementioned issues.

jfkgoblue

Ford is gonna die in the finale, he's a god like figure right now, and a common TV show trope is for people like him dieing in finales

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My guess is that William timeline is around the time Bernard wakes up the first time, so with a big tragic event like the loss of the founder causing high turnover in the years plus Ford's Ken Levine-ification by the board that led to the scrubbing of Arnold led to not many questions asked.

Plus, didn't we see Delores mow down a bunch of people when she apparently went rampage mode and killed Arnold originally? Maybe she mowed down a good percentage of them right then and there, with the rest leaving due to aforementioned issues.
We see a flashback showing a huge massacre at the test site under the church when she first arrives. I'm guessing she killed everyone other than Ford.

FelipeMGM

So everyone was cool with an Arnold clone walking around being called Bernard? Or did Ford kill all the employees that existed with him and Arnold. Or were they all robots.

Arnold died before the thing went public. And he worked on an isolated now defunct facility. No one really knew him

shira

So those natives are surely part of the new narrative, right? I guess it's some kind of invasion and you have Maeve and gang too,

The preview is quite nuts.

I'm not going to watch the preview this time.

I wanna go in fresh for the final ep

Justin

I mean since memories can be implanted then every single host is an unreliable narrator. It's possible that Ford killed Arnold and implanted a memory of Deloris doing it so he didn't get caught.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So what's the over/under that the "Wyatt" of Teddy's flashback is really Dolores?
I wouldn't be surprised. I guess it depends on whether Teddy's storyline is actually just a thing Ford made up or not.

Solo

So what's the over/under that the "Wyatt" of Teddy's flashback is really Dolores?

100% chance that is the case.

What is kind of hilarious is that the oldest fan "theory", MiB being William, is going to be the last one explicitly revealed. Although obviously the knife and Dolores' robotic insides drove it from 99.9% to 99.9999%.

Although one interesting thing, which maybe is just an error, was MiB said "I once cut one of you open..." but it wasn't William who did the cutting. Still, I think that's just a script error rather than a Logan swerve.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Maeve seems like such an afterthought.

She actually makes Dolores' story shittier because she's getting shit done way quicker and without having to make 200 mile pilgrimages every loop

Maeve is going to be a plan Ford put in place at the beginning to wipe out the board trying to oust him. Just watch.

FelipeMGM

You would think the internet still exists in the future and there would be photos of Arnold. Both online and on, say, Ford's desk.

Everybody talks of Bernard as he was there for a long time, if anyone asked about the picture he could say ''Oh, thats me and Bernard''. Simple

Also, we cant assume casualities from our world into this one. We have no idea how this things play out on this fiction

Angry Grimace

You would think the internet still exists in the future and there would be photos of Arnold. Both online and on, say, Ford's desk.
That assumes Arnold is a real name. They looked to be doing mostly super secretive research in a desert in a bunker. But we also know that Bernard hasn't been an active player in the park operations the entire time.

TyrantII

I thought this episode made it pretty clear Wyatt is Teddy.

Delores kills herself after killing Arnold. Teddy sees her do so, and he rampages in free will.

Remember, tragic events tends to move hosts past their cornerstones and see the truth.

Solo

Yeah, 3 weeks ago I thought Maeve was going to lead the uprising. Now I'm thinkin she is going to be part of Ford's narrative. His magnum opus: create life, give it sentience, allow it to become self aware, then crush it's hopes into oblivion with the realization that their self awareness was nothing more than another story.

Speevy

Banned

This multi-billion dollar venture is not at all interested in the mysterious death of one of its founders.

Like imagine if Steve Jobs had killed Steve Wozniak in his garage and went public with Apple.

Then a robot named Jerry Smith emerged at Steve's side. No one knew who he was and how he got there. He had lost his son to cancer.

But Steve Jobs couldn't stop talking about Steve Wozniak. He helped him to create Apple.

No one would question this, right?

Arkeband

Banned
100% chance that is the case.

What is kind of hilarious is that the oldest fan "theory", MiB being William, is going to be the last one explicitly revealed. Although obviously the knife and Dolores' robotic insides drove it from 99.9% to 99.9999%.

Although one interesting thing, which maybe is just an error, was MiB said "I once cut one of you open..." but it wasn't William who did the cutting. Still, I think that's just a script error rather than a Logan swerve.

Does it actually matter if it's William who is the MiB? It may make way more sense if it's Logan - considering how he confronts Dolores at her house and drags her off to the barn, that is not the way William would treat the person he fell in love with. Also consider that Logan is the one with the connections, it would make sense if 30 years later he's the richest person in the park.

Angry Grimace

Yeah, 3 weeks ago I thought Maeve was going to lead the uprising. Now I'm thinkin she is going to be part of Ford's narrative. His magnum opus: create life, give it sentience, allow it to become self aware, then crush it's hopes into oblivion with the realization that their self awareness was nothing more than another story.
I like idea it's to trap the self aware ones because attempting to make them real causes them to become insane.

TyrantII

Does it actually matter if it's William who is the MiB? It may make way more sense if it's Logan - considering how he confronts Dolores at her house and drags her off to the barn, that is not the way William would treat the person he fell in love with. Also consider that Logan is the one with the connections, it would make sense if 30 years later he's the richest person in the park.

The man in black is the man in black.

Yup. I think Logan is MiB

Solo

It doesn't "matter", per se, but if MiB ends up being Logan, or anyone else who isn't William, then what would have been the point of laying it on so thick all season that MiB and William are the same? It would be a fake out for the sake of a fake out.

I guess maybe William's insanity (?) could act as a catalyst to change Logan and his worldview.

But I'm not buying it. William is MiB.

Ridli

Maaaaan, it's gonna be a long wait for next week.

Poor Bernard. He was made to suffer. Endlessly. That confrontation with Ford had a kind of Neo meets the Architect vibe, with a significantly more competent Architect. I wonder what iteration Bernard was on?

oh man.

FelipeMGM

That non-violent William (or Billy) ''died'' in this episode, we saw that happen

MiB says that the same happened to him in the past.

I still think it makes a lot of sense, there are a lot of stuff pointing to this. Or maybe I just dont want it for him to be Logan because he sucks lol

Justin

Maaaaan, it's gonna be a long wait for next week.

Poor Bernard. He was made to suffer. Endlessly. That confrontation with Ford had a kind of Neo meets the Architect vibe, with a significantly more competent Architect. I wonder what iteration Bernard was on?

Is it possible the host being built under the house is another Bernard?

Kerned

Banned
Do we think the finale reveals what the outside world looks like, or where exactly Westworld is? There haven't been a lot of hints to that.

TyrantII

Funny how the theories were all true. The internet nailed it even though the writers used cheap tricks to obscure things.

Good storytelling isn't about tricking the audience.

It's about the setup and the release.

They're hitting on all cylinders as far as I'm concerned, and leaving just enough maneuvering room for a few surprises.

Speevy

Banned
Do we think the finale reveals what the outside world looks like, or where exactly Westworld is? There haven't been a lot of hints to that.

We know it's all fine and dandy. Everyone is pretty chill. People aren't being harvested as machines or being controlled by a totalitarian V for Vendetta regime.

Top Bottom