• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

FelipeMGM

Do we think the finale reveals what the outside world looks like, or where exactly Westworld is? There haven't been a lot of hints to that.

I dont think they should. Writers and showrunners should prob keep it restrained so its easier to control this fictional world and dont leave plot holes around.

We know it's all fine and dandy. Everyone is pretty chill. People aren't being harvested as machines or being controlled by a totalitarian V for Vendetta regime.
I actually think the outside world is some kind of over-industrialized automated landscape. Hence why people would pays tens of thousands just to take their family fishing or hiking, and why the "natural splendor" of the park is an expensive luxury

Does it actually matter if it's William who is the MiB? It may make way more sense if it's Logan - considering how he confronts Dolores at her house and drags her off to the barn, that is not the way William would treat the person he fell in love with. Also consider that Logan is the one with the connections, it would make sense if 30 years later he's the richest person in the park.
Right now I think it's 50/50 it's Logan or William.

sangreal

Was Theresa a host? Or at least that Theresa we saw be killed? What was up with that moment with Bernard freezing her?

I just interpreted it as Bernard coming to terms with the memory of her (that was supposed to have been erased). Similar to how he controls the other characters in his memories like his son and his son's doctors

TyrantII

I was thinking it may be Elsie considering she will eventually be expected to return, and she would be easy to control since she's just Bernard's underling.

Speaking of which, wasn't Bernard busy when she went missing? Was that ever resolved?

He was with Teresa when she was attacked, wasn't he?

Ridli

Is it possible the host being built under the house is another Bernard?

When they first showed it I thought it would be another Theresa, but with how quickly her death was disclosed to others makes that impossible to try and pass off. Another Bernard seems possible, or maybe the next Bernard will be an Elsie? Who knows.

Arkeband

Banned
Speaking of which, wasn't Bernard busy when she went missing? Was that ever resolved?

He was with Teresa when she was attacked, wasn't he?

He hung up with her on the phone, probably dismissed himself with Teresa, went straight to where Elsie was, who was still farting around in the cabin for an unknown length of time, and then finally Bernard showed up.

Kerned

Banned
When they first showed it I thought it would be another Theresa, but with how quickly her death was disclosed to others makes that impossible to try and pass off. Another Bernard seems possible, or maybe the next Bernard will be an Elsie? Who knows.
Maybe it's another Ford! I could see him creating a doppelgänger to help run the park.

golem

Even though the twist was pretty obvious at this point, that was a damn compelling hour of television.

Interesting if Logan is MiB. He does fit the description better as a person with a really dark hidden side. Also he does seem to hold considerably more power than William at the moment so it would be easy for him to make the leap to board member. Maybe Westwood is Logan's redemption story lol.

I'm also starting to lean towards Maeve's storyline being orchestrated by Ford

Was Theresa a host? Or at least that Theresa we saw be killed? What was up with that moment with Bernard freezing her?

I think Theresa and his son freezing were just him applying the circumstances of his real life to his dream sequence/imagination to help make sense of things

Speevy

Banned
Felix and Sylvester were actually cats that died by getting crushed by a faulty escalator.

The engineers felt so bad that they built two hosts in their memory, but gave them the brains of cats.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
So whatever MIB did or said to Dolores in the barn probably started her going on this journey to Escalante

We don't know if Ford or MIB buried the gun she dug up, maybe Ford to have her kill MIB?

And if Maeve is just part of Fords storyline what relevance did Dolores saying the Romeo and Juliet line to her have? Is that how Ford triggered her to become aware?

Kerned

Banned
Felix and Sylvester were actually cats that died by getting crushed by a faulty escalator.

The engineers felt so bad that they built two hosts in their memory, but gave them the brains of cats.
Sylvester is a real life Hitman guard that you could fool by throwing a quarter while you club Felix and dress up in his lab coat.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It makes absolutely no sense for him not to know everything.

Season is going to end with Maeve and co. killing the entire board aside from MiB and then Ford saying "stop" and the whole world freezes. MiB (along with Delores and Bernard) then kills Ford for what he's done to Delores, and MiB and his company run the park with Delores, Maeve, and Bernard becoming the "head" hosts in charge.

golem

Also why is Dolores still functioning in the park if she was the one that killed Arnold? Sure she was Arnold's favorite but I doubt Ford would want to leave her in the park after that kind of incident. Is she Ford's get out of jail card in case some important human needs to die? Then he can just blame it on her faulty personality? Or some kind of sentimental reason we don't know about just yet? A promise he made Arnold?

It would make sense as well if Logan is MiB since MiB doesn't seem to realize the importance of Dolores and the Church until this episode since he probably only heard the story of their journey in passing. If it was William I think he would know that is the center of the maze immediately and he probably would have treated her better/invited her along on the ride in present times.

Speevy

Banned
I still think this story would be 10 times more compelling if a group of people had just stumbled onto a Bioshock world with Ford as the mad scientist overseeing it.

Then all these questions about why all this crazy shit is allowed to happen wouldn't be a thing.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Maeve has to be part of Ford's storyline, she gaining sentience is not going to happen without him knowing.

Also he was expecting Bernard to confront him, seems like he knew beforehand what the meeting with Maeve would entail.

Jocund

Logan is a petulant fucking child. I can't see him becoming someone as thoughtful as the MiB. William's development, i.e. him becoming more and more disillusioned with the idea of him being a "good" person the longer he stays in Westworld, is way more in line with how they have characterized the MiB.

And Logan doesn't have a "hidden" side. That dude is as subtle and graceful as a fucking bat to the skull.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It makes sense for Ford to know everything. That being said, a random bit of speculation, spoilered in case it's right:
I feel Ford being safe from Clementine due to a back door sets up Ford to be caught by surprise just when he thinks he's still safe. Likely a buried command from Arnold that Ford doesn't know is there.

Also I'm not sure yet that Bernard carried out the order to blow his digital brains out. His memory catharsis with his fake son, about letting go of the memory because it's holding him back... combined with Bernard having the knowledge of a programmer... seems like the setup for Bernard canceling Ford's command, but making sure to fire a round off so that Ford wouldn't come back to check on him.

Matty77

Another excellent episode.

Truly loved Evan Rachel Woods delivery on the if out there is so great line. Not only did it shut William and Logan up but it makes me wonder if as a few others have said that maybe the outside world is a little more dystopian than we were led to believe.

Some of Fords comments this week led in that direction also.

Speevy

Banned
They've never been a thing if you picked up on the queues that everything is proceeding according to Ford's plan. This is his playground.

The story has repeatedly alluded to the oversight present in the park, and then thrown it out the window whenever it's convenient.

Why are William and Logan permitted to get strangled and beaten half to death, for example?

You'd think someone would step in and do something.

Ford having a plan would not stop hundreds of employees from detecting the strange happenings in the park.

Jocund

Also I'm not sure yet that Bernard carried out the order to blow his digital brains out. His memory catharsis with his fake son, about letting go of the memory because it's holding him back... combined with Bernard having the knowledge of a programmer... seems like the setup for Bernard canceling Ford's command, but making sure to fire a round off so that Ford wouldn't come back to check on him.

You literally see his body drop, though. I understand the show isn't afraid to mess with perception, but that shot seemed to be exclusively from Ford's POV.

Maeve has to be part of Ford's storyline, she gaining sentience is not going to happen without him knowing.

Also he was expecting Bernard to confront him, seems like he knew beforehand what the meeting with Maeve would entail.

He wasn't "expecting" him to confront him, he engineered the entire encounter, hoping that, with his memories fully intact, he would make the "right" choice and become his faithful partner again.

The story has repeatedly alluded to the oversight present in the park, and then thrown it out the window whenever it's convenient.

Why are William and Logan permitted to get strangled and beaten half to death, for example?

You'd think someone would step in and do something.

Ford having a plan would not stop hundreds of employees from detecting the strange happenings in the park.
The further way from Sweetwater, the more dangerous it gets. The hosts won't kill you, but they might rough you up

All according to plan though, just another branching path in the game

See how non-plussed Hale was? It was impossible for MIB to die there. The host horse would only bolt once he has the knife and if he missed the knife, it would probably stop and come back to give him slack

Top Bottom