• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Actualy, I would argue why an advanced A.I., free from its human made limitations, would still care for old style physical instincts like sex, which s basically a behavior simulation for her, and a behavior that she does not need to emulate anymore.

Well, she is only messing with Hector, who she needs for whatever it is.

OrionX

If elsie and security guy are alive maybe Ford has a heart and doesn't eant them to get brutally murdered in the revolution

Or they're dead and Ford's replacing them with robot versions of themselves. Pretty sure it's not the last we've seen of them either way.

Teletraan1

Banned
I think the opening scene of the entire series foreshadows an explanation of why nobody notices the techs and maeve plotting. You see Dolores sitting in a chair in a black room. She is told to bring herself online and the lights from the other rooms start to light up around her. I doubt Dolores also doubles as the light switch and they were just showing you how the hosts perception of their environment works.

Actualy, I would argue why an advanced A.I., free from its human made limitations, would still care for old style physical instincts like sex, which s basically a behavior simulation for her, and a behavior that she does not need to emulate anymore.

We have no idea how emotions or desires work in Hosts, and it's quite possible they actually enjoy it. Given their role in the park, I'd expect that, in fact.

RangerX

Banned
Why do people think Delores in the church in her cowboy gear is the present day? There has been absolutely nothing to indicate that. I love the show but that is just intentionally misleading if it is the present day.

Nothus

Why do people think Delores in the church in her cowboy gear is the present day? There has been absolutely nothing to indicate that. I love the show but that is just intentionally misleading if it is the present day.

1) Because when she went down the elevator the whole place was a ruin, similar to how we know it looks in the present day timeline.

2) When she came back up to the church the MiB was there. We know he's present day thanks (in part) to his recent conversation with the smoking hot Delos exec.

Because MiB turns up for one. She doesn't have the huge wound given to her by Logan either.

Also what ^^^ said

RangerX

Banned
1) Because when she went down the elevator the whole place was a ruin, similar to how we know it looks in the present day timeline.

2) When she came back up to the church the MiB was there. We know he's present day thanks (in part) to his recent conversation with the smoking hot Delos exec.

Oh yeah that makes sense. Also thee way people are using "timeline" in this thread is very confusing. I keep thinking of parallel timelines running concurrently. People should really write time period.

Kayhan

It is HBO.

Justin

My dumb predictions for the finale that I thought up on my sleep deprived drive into work.

All the hosts that are becoming sentient will escape the park into the real world except it isn't the real world it is just another section of the park that has a different theme. Season two will be about them discovering they are still in the park and evading park employees that are hunting them.

At some point during the escape Maeve will find Clementine and have her reveal to the Board what Ford did to Bernard/Arthur.

Everyone's talking about Dolores but I'm still confused about Teddy (mis?)remembering the town slaughter scene.

Also, why isn't anyone floating the idea that William might be Wyatt? Isn't it Wyatt's modus operandi to remove limbs?

Joni

Why is she burning herself then?

She can't get to the other robots as long as she is outside and alive. She needs Hector and her to be together in the basements, so she needs to die.

Everyone's talking about Dolores but I'm still confused about Teddy (mis?)remembering the town slaughter scene.

Also, why isn't anyone floating the idea that William might be Wyatt? Isn't it Wyatt's modus operandi to remove limbs?

We have been guessing Teddy has taken William's role for Dolores. So if William is Wyatt, it could still fit.

UberLevi

I noticed an interesting transition (not an immediate one like some parallel dialogue has had, though) last episode where after Logan gets his face cut by Dolores, Maeve finds Hector taking a piss and says she knows about Isabella and his scar which was a little telling to me but could be merely coincidence. Would be interesting if Hector was built as a homage to Logan (requested by MiB?) and he manages to find more humanity in himself during the show than Logan ever had.

Zoe

They're suggesting that the trauma of the experience made Teddy substitute another person for the slaughter he committed.

But as far as the real event the whole thing was likely based off of, Dolores is probably responsible.

The event that Wyatt is based on happened before the park opened. Of course it is possible that Ford pulled from other events to embellish the narrative.

I noticed an interesting transition last episode where after Logan gets his face cut by Dolores, Maeve finds Hector taking a piss and says she knows about Isabella and his scar which was a little telling to me but could be merely coincidence. Would be interesting if Hector was built as a homage to Logan (requested by MiB?) and he manages to find more humanity in himself during the show than Logan ever had.

I saw one theory that Hector could have been Maeve's husband in the pioneer loop.

bounchfx

I prefer this to the William = MiB thing to be honest heh

Anyone notice the photo is the same one Dolores' dad finds in the dirt?

Watched episode one again last night and thought the same thing. Clearly that is in the present and William far in the past

Talents

Banned
So I just started watching this show yesterday after a lot of people recommended it and I just finished episode 3. Does it take a while to get good or is this not my sort of show if I'm not into it already?

UberLevi

Have we already discussed hosts having bombs in them and the board wanting to smuggle Abernathy out of the park with all the data? Do they know about the explosive charge in the hosts or is that not common knowledge to the board of directors?

boxter432

also confused about the Teddy/Wyatt part of the story.

wasn't Wyatt just added by Ford mid season as a backstory (Teddy's cornerstone?)?
why does the blonde girl (william's greeter host/lady who knocks out MiB) know so much about everything? She says "don't you remember?" to Teddy and he magically remembers shooting townspeople. She kills Teddy to make him go in another loop or something since he "wasn't ready" etc... its all very confusing.
is it b/c she is from the same group of hosts as Dolores, who are the ones becoming sentient?

dan2026

Not quite sure I understand when Maeve burned herself and the bandit dude.
Surely that might do more damage to their robot bodies than can be anticipated.

If they just wanted a quick ticket back to the lab why didn't they shoot themselves?

I honestly feel this show might be going up its own arse a bit.

Apoc29

Regarding Maeve's story, while I do feel some parts of it are a bit contrived, at least it's actually moving the main story forward. Maeve is sentient and is clearly plotting some kind of uprising/escape. Cool, that's something I can understand.

Contrast this with Dolores' story: in the first episode, we learn that Dolores is special and not like the other hosts. Then the rest of the season is just a confusing jumble of flashbacks and memories until we learn that Dolores killed Arnold. Well that's great except Maeve already proved several episodes ago she's capable of that which kind of takes the wind out of Dolores' sails.

I believe that Dolores does serve as the catalyst that sends William/MIB on his journey to find the maze or whatever, but her being 'special' hasn't manifested itself in any significant way for me yet. Perhaps that will change in the finale.

Contrast this with Dolores' story: in the first episode, we learn that Dolores is special and not like the other hosts. Then the rest of the season is just a confusing jumble of flashbacks and memories until we learn that Dolores killed Arnold. Well that's great except Maeve already proved several episodes ago she's capable of that which kind of takes the wind out of Dolores' sails.

That's not the point. The point is that she killed Arnold, her creator and a founder of the park. That a host can kill is not supposed to be surprising at all - that someone who seems to rely on Arnold and seek him out would kill him, is.

I believe that Dolores does serve as the catalyst that sends William/MIB on his journey to find the maze or whatever, but her being 'special' hasn't manifested itself in any significant way for me yet. Perhaps that will change in the finale.

Dolores is one of the "old souls" of the park, from when they were robotic automatons instead of synthetic flesh. She was showing awareness way back in the William/Billy era. She physically hurt a guest, which to the guests is shocking. Logan takes it as realism, but to William this is obvious confirmation that there is something different about Dolores than anyone else he has met to this point.

Maeve is playing the villain game, to turn the park and ultimately escape, at some later point in time presumably. Dolores is playing the maze, ultimately making her "special".

kris.

Banned
Someone explain to me how management is so inept that they almost let a guest be literally hanged to death?

It's been explained multiple times that the further you move out into the park, the more dangerous and thrilling things get. Plus someone on the board watched him in that situation and shrugged it off with a joke about how doing something different would probably be easier on his back. I highly doubt he was in any real danger.

boxter432

Someone explain to me how management is so inept that they almost let a guest be literally hanged to death?

well, he's like the CEO, board member at minimum, Charlotte was 10 feet away, the horse is a host and wasn't going to kill him etc...
they are inept in many ways, but they show MiB is not a normal guest multiple times.

Zoe

also confused about the Teddy/Wyatt part of the story.

wasn't Wyatt just added by Ford mid season as a backstory (Teddy's cornerstone?)?
why does the blonde girl (william's greeter host/lady who knocks out MiB) know so much about everything? She says "don't you remember?" to Teddy and he magically remembers shooting townspeople. She kills Teddy to make him go in another loop or something since he "wasn't ready" etc... its all very confusing.
is it b/c she is from the same group of hosts as Dolores, who are the ones becoming sentient?

- Wyatt was just added by Ford, but there are indications that the story is based off of the beta massacre.
- She was previously an aware host (greeter). The pieces will probably fall into place once Ford's narrative is revealed.
- Possibly. Everyone who was at the beta massacre seems to have some awareness of the maze.

duckroll

MiB was in zero danger of death by hanging. On the other hand, as EviLore pointed out, his brain is probably going to turn to mush from all that blunt force trauma to the head. Roflmao.

-griffy-

Banned
MiB was in zero danger of death by hanging. On the other hand, as EviLore pointed out, his brain is probably going to turn to mush from all that blunt force trauma to the head. Roflmao.

To be fair, this is hardly an issue specific to Westworld. All of entertainment media is extremely loose with regard to head injuries. People getting KO'd is just a normal, temporary thing that characters can shake off easily.

Matty77

Hopefully this does not get lost in the shuffle. For those who do not get why Dolores has to be in a seperate timeframe in the church is actually simple beyond visual cues.

Her and William get to escalante and the town is so buried only the church steeple is visible. The ground looks like stable territory with grass and elevations.

If it was in the William timeframe she would hit that area the next day.

It's a larger leap of logic that in one night they excavate the town, landscape it and terraform it to not be in a hole, and restore the entire town inside and out to pristine condition than it does to think a Nolan of all people is manipulating what we are seeing when in a non linear way.

No need for any of the overwhelming evidence that also exists.

Jarmel

Banned
well, he's like the CEO, board member at minimum, Charlotte was 10 feet away, the horse is a host and wasn't going to kill him etc...
they are inept in many ways, but they show MiB is not a normal guest multiple times.

The response times for security seem to be slow as fuck. If he hadn't grabbed that knife, he easily could have had his neck broken.

duckroll

The response times for security seem to be slow as fuck. If he hadn't grabbed that knife, he easily could have had his neck broken.

Watch the scene again. If he didn't grab the knife, the horse wouldn't have moved. It's a game trigger. The event doesn't start until he is armed. The game is rigged. It's just a QTE.

Justin

Watch the scene again. If he didn't grab the knife, the horse wouldn't have moved. It's a game trigger. The event doesn't start until he is armed. The game is rigged. It's just a QTE.

Yep, as soon as he grabs the knife there is a animal sound which scares the horse. It was all scripted.

Top Bottom