• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Burt

When Felix went in to reprogram Maeve the first time, he said that she had already been tampered with. Any hint as to who that might've been at this point? Man in Black setting her on the path? Ford with some behind the scenes fuckery would've been on the table a few episodes ago, but by now it's pretty clear that he's hell-bent on keeping the hosts down.

When Felix went in to reprogram Maeve the first time, he said that she had already been tampered with. Any hint as to who that might've been at this point? Man in Black setting her on the path? Ford with some behind the scenes fuckery would've been on the table a few episodes ago, but by now it's pretty clear that he's hell-bent on keeping the hosts down.
It's Ford. All part of his new narrative to get rid of the board.

Can we talk about William for a moment?

I need to know, just logistically, how the hell he did all this in a single night:

vlcsnap-2016-11-28-213lsut.png

vlcsnap-2016-11-28-213vj8u.png

vlcsnap-2016-11-28-21qrkq1.png

Really, that's the greatest mystery. I mean, the ground is smoking. Cannons were fired. People have been hacked up and taken apart like with a fucking katana. Body parts are strewn everywhere. And somehow Logan slept through all of it!?

William killed like fifty guys!

And holy shit, Logan done fucked up. He fucking broke Billy.

Brakke

Banned
Yeah Logan is an unbelievable dipshit. Starts the episodes on some retribution shit, but then hears William say "you're right" in the MOST CLEARLY INSINCERE WAY, totally buddies back up with him like nothing. And then sleeps through a horrific massacre.

How tf did William dismember those metal-skeleton hosts! He clearly set off explosions and drunk-ass Logan just slept through getting peppered with debris and shrapnel?

Can we talk about William for a moment?

I need to know, just logistically, how the hell he did all this in a single night:

vlcsnap-2016-11-28-213lsut.png

vlcsnap-2016-11-28-213vj8u.png

vlcsnap-2016-11-28-21qrkq1.png

Really, that's the greatest mystery. I mean, the ground is smoking. Cannons were fired. People have been hacked up and taken apart like with a fucking katana. Body parts are strewn everywhere. And somehow Logan slept through all of it!?

William killed like fifty guys!

And holy shit, Logan done fucked up. He fucking broke Billy.
More importantly, what is even the point? I keep asking myself that a lot in the show and there doesnt ever seem to be an answer except shock value or reveals.

Why does Bernard exist?

Why is Meave, the smartest android in history wasting time having sex when it serves her no purpose when she can just control other hosts? Why does she enjoy sex at all when narrative isn't an issue?

Why have we been dragging Teddy around all season?

duckroll

Is this William's fourth day in the park? Assuming Logan is paying for both of them, that's over $300k and counting! I wanna see a checkout scene in the finale where he pays.

Why is Meave, the smartest android in history wasting time having sex when send serves her no purposee when she can just control other hosts? Why does she enjoy sex at all when narrative is thrown out?

This is easy, man. For the first time in her "life" she chose to have this sex, because SHE wanted it. Not because there was some protocol or script in her head telling her to do it. It was a great scene that allowed her to assert dominance not only over Hector but over self.

I watched 1-8 in one shot and without any foreknowledge, and only came in here after I caught up. It doesn't do it any favors.

Oh cool, welcome to the party. What did you think? Did you watch it all in one day? Were some arcs unbearable because you saw so much of it, so close together haha? I have friends pounding through all the episodes this week for the finale, so I'll see what they say too.

There are multiple studies that say the human mind enjoys seeing spoilers come true more than actually being surprised.

That's very interesting. The only thing I like more than being surprised is if my theories come true but anything else wouldn't be as good haha.

This is easy, man. For the first time in her "life" she chose to have this sex, because SHE wanted it. Not because there was some protocol or script in her head telling her to do it. It was a great scene that allowed her to assert dominance not only over Hector but over self.
I really doubt robots will really give a shit about sex when they think far beyond human capabilities.

Burt

More importantly, what is even the point? I keep asking myself that a lot in the show and there doesnt ever seem to be an answer except shock value or reveals.

Why does Bernard exist?

Why is Meave, the smartest android in history wasting time having sex when it serves her no purpose when she can just control other hosts? Why does she enjoy sex at all when narrative isn't an issue?

Why have we been dragging Teddy around all season?
Ford literally, explicitly, said why Bernard exists, and that's beyond any sentimental value Ford would have for him.

I don't know exactly what you're talking about with Maeve. Why does she enjoy sex? Why wouldn't she? Besides the character mark of a slave whore who's gone free choosing to have sex with someone of her own free will for maybe the first time ever, she's recruiting him to bring him into the workshop/lab and break out, and has also said (again, explicitly, more than once) that she doesn't control hosts she's bringing to her cause and why.

And it's almost like there's something big coming for Teddy next week

Or something

Maybe

Makai

Considering how they failed to protect him from Dolores, and couldn't even catch her after she was opened up, I doubt they could do much lol. Bunch of lamers.
I guess that's cause they're old tech. New tech is clearly capable of reenacting Skynet

I think William has well and truly lost his shit. Like, it's almost rational in its insanity that he needs to kill every host around so he can threaten Logan.

Clinically rational, but totally bonkers.

Yeah Logan is an unbelievable dipshit. Starts the episodes on some retribution shit, but then hears William say "you're right" in the MOST CLEARLY INSINCERE WAY, totally buddies back up with him like nothing. And then sleeps through a horrific massacre.

How tf did William dismember those metal-skeleton hosts! He clearly set off explosions and drunk-ass Logan just slept through getting peppered with debris and shrapnel?

Yeah, it doesn't make sense!

See, I understand Logan's reactions, kinda. I think he became well aware that William had gotten in too deep and that he was losing his shit, so he tried to shock him awake.

But Logan is an asshole and a dipshit and his idiocy had the opposite effect that he intended.

But how the hell did William kill every single person without being stopped? That level of carnage is insane.

Is this William's fourth day in the park? Assuming Logan is paying for both of them, that's over $300k and counting! I wanna see a checkout scene in the finale where he pays.

I like how on Day One, William was being really nice to every NPC and on Day 4, he's ranked up to the point where's slaughtered fifty of them no problem.

When the singularity happens, enjoy the orgy I guess.

Dude, you putting waaaay too much thought into this. It is clear from the scene that had Maeve remove the bullet that she liked Hector. As a newly freed and empowered person, she asserted herself, on her terms and chose to get laid.

Free will.

I doubt she will go around sleeping with Hector from now on.

Dude, you putting waaaay too much thought into this. It is clear from the scene that had Maeve remove the bullet that she liked Hector. As a newly freed and empowered person, she asserted herself, on her terms and chose to get laid.

Free will.

I doubt she will go around sleeping with Hector from now on.
Trust me, I wish Meave's plot required thought.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I really doubt robots will really give a shit about sex when they think far beyond human capabilities.

Why not? Humans have sex all the time just for fun, why wouldn't the hosts? The hosts are just synthetic people. The show has made it pretty clear that there's very little difference between them and us.

But how the hell did William kill every single person without being stopped? That level of carnage is insane.

robots forgot they can pistol-butts guests so williamib just mowed them down. taking calves and chopping limbs and errything.

I like how on Day One, William was being really nice to every NPC and on Day 4, he's ranked up to the point where's slaughtered fifty of them no problem.

he sure levelled up? fast :D

Day 1, I feel for the NPCs
Day 2, gosh I donno about these quests... I guess some are interesting
Day 3, wooooo quests!
Day 4, I AM BECOME DEATH DESTROYER OF WORLDS \o/

Raman Djawdi needs an Emmy for his work on this show.

Small touch, but I loved how the music played in the Dolores/Arnold reveal. So there's a variation of Dolores' theme song/Violent Deligns, and then she leaves through the confessional, it gets all soft, she hears the footsteps and whispers "William?"

And the doors open and MIB walks in and the music subtly just becomes creepy. I liked how it was done.

Why not? Humans have sex all the time just for fun, why wouldn't the hosts? The hosts are just synthetic people. The show has made it pretty clear that there's very little difference between them and us.

Her intelligence is supposed to be "unlocked" so why would she care about attraction at all? Why would we assume true sentience would care about any of the things humans do?

I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but in a post Ex Machina world I think the answer "cuz humans do it" is a boring assumption.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Her intelligence is supposed to be "unlocked" so why would she care about attraction at all? Why would we assume true sentience would care about any of the things humans do?

I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but in a post Ex Machina world I think the answer "cuz humans do it" is an boring assumption.

Because she still has feelings? Being smart doesn't remove that from her.

It's boring if once they realize they're not human, they end up just being bland characters who don't feel anything and just become robots with human-like bodies.

KeRaSh

Great episode. One thing I didn't quite understand was the relationship between Bernard and Arnold. Spoiler tagging it in case I missed a rule or anything but I'm just asking for clarification, not posting a theory or anything.

Is Bernard made by Arnold? Is just his code written by Arnold? When Bernard goes back to his first memory he wakes up with Ford. Was that just to fuck with him? In the old picture of Ford and Bernard. Was the other white man Arnold or is it implied that Bernard was Arnold all along?

Sorry if this has been answered before. I tried to go back and read up on it and stumbled over too many theories that are probably coming true and I don't want to spoil myself any further than I think I already have.

Joni

Great episode. One thing I didn't quite understand was the relationship between Bernard and Arnold. Spoiler tagging it in case I missed a rule or anything but I'm just asking for clarification, not posting a theory or anything.

Is Bernard made by Arnold? Is just his code written by Arnold? When Bernard goes back to his first memory he wakes up with Ford. Was that just to fuck with him? In the old picture of Ford and Bernard. Was the other white man Arnold or is it implied that Bernard was Arnold all along?

Sorry if this has been answered before. I tried to go back and read up on it and stumbled over too many theories that are probably coming true and I don't want to spoil myself any further than I think I already have.

Ford created Bernard. Bernard thinks he was created by Arnold because Arnold wrote his core code, but Ford just uses Arnold's code in all hosts. The other white man in the picture is the dad host Arnold made for Ford.

Ferrio

Banned

Bernard was made by Ford as a replacement Arnold after he was killed by Dolores. His first memory was him starting up for the first time and being taught how to be Arnold. All the meetings between "Bernard" and Dolores was really Arnold and Dolores. The white man in the picture was Ford's father, who we saw earlier in the season in the house with the host family.

Violet_0

Banned
can't really hate on Logan that much, from his perspective his sister's groom has just taken one of the NPCs in the MMO they're playing as his waifu and become disturbingly serious about it. It would make me rather sad if Delawares killed him off next week

can't really hate on Logan that much, from his perspective his sister's groom has just taken one of the NPCs in the MMO they're playing as his waifu and become disturbingly serious about it. It would make me rather sad if Delawares killed him off next week

I guess that'd be the incident then.

Im still totally confused about Teddy's storyline and wth this Wyatt stuff is. Also, I need a refresher on Dolores going rogue

Top Bottom