• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

kris.

Banned
Do animals in the park have Good Samaritan reflexes, too? I'd assume so. Say the MiB does end up getting hanged on accident maybe because he drops his knife on the way up, does the horse immediately reverse and let him down to save him?

Zoe

Do animals in the park have Good Samaritan reflexes, too? I'd assume so. Say the MiB does end up getting hanged on accident maybe because he drops his knife on the way up, does the horse immediately reverse and let him down to save him?

I would imagine either that would have happened or the knot wouldn't have been able to sustain his weight.

Moff

the horse would walk on two legs up to him and cut him free

or "dead" teddy would have done it

Alpende

I really wonder if Ford knows what Maeve is up to. You have to believe he does as he seems to be the ultimate control freak.

Speculation (pretty much confirmed) is that Ford's new narrative is the hosts gaining sentience. If true, it fits Maeve's storyline. It wouldn't surprise me if Ford knows.
-----

I really dug the last episode. Evil Hopkins is best Hopkins. So much cool stuff happened in the episode it was amazing.

EW Interview said:
EW: William is told he can’t get hurt in Westworld. But what about being hurt by another guests? What’s to keep a guest from stabbing him thinking he’s a robot? Is there a safe word?

Joy: We talked a lot about the rules of the park. A lot of it isn’t made explicit in the series but there’s something called the Good Samaritan Reflex within the hosts. So say you’re in a bar fight and some guy has a knife and maybe there’s even another guest that you didn’t know and he thinks you’re a host and he’s gonna stab you in the back. In that instance, a good Samaritan host would seamlessly intersect and get in that fight and literally take that knife for you. Now accidents can happen – falling off a cliff and things like that. But you know it’s mitigated somewhat because even the animals – aside from the flies – are hosts, so no horse is going to buck you to your death.

dabig2

Why is she burning herself then?

Can't say for sure, but I bet it has to do with not wanting to be patched up real quick and thrown back into the game as usual. A burning sounds like she and Hector would need some serious time in the repair shop. Maybe they get carted off to an entirely different section.

Maybeshe wants to go to Cold Storage? 😉

Yeah, probably this. She knows there's a lot of bodies down there she could use with her Ford god-mode powers.

Jacob4815

I really wonder if Ford knows what Maeve is up to. You have to believe he does as he seems to be the ultimate control freak.

I think so.

Probably he manipulated the "Arnold voices" using auto-conscious Bernard as an instrument. And the two idiots (Felix and Sylvester) are two hosts controlled by Ford.

Platy

Someone explain to me how management is so inept that they almost let a guest be literally hanged to death?

The whole no danger to guests is extremely weird.

Falling from horses, explosions, knifes, hitting the head of an old man in a rock... even punches can kill a human being

Speculation (pretty much confirmed) is that Ford's new narrative is the hosts gaining sentience. If true, it fits Maeve's storyline. It wouldn't surprise me if Ford knows.
-----

I really dug the last episode. Evil Hopkins is best Hopkins. So much cool stuff happened in the episode it was amazing.

Something must surprise Ford. He is now the main antagonist of the show, thus conflict and drama must follow, but in the end he will fall.

The whole no danger to guests is extremely weird.

Falling from horses, explosions, knifes, hitting the head of an old man in a rock... even punches can kill a human being

We don't know how advanced the Medicine in their time is. Maybe they can heal almost any damage quickly. Just have a E.R. nearby anda good checkup at park leaving.

Ethelwulf

So, the photo that crazy brother in law gives to cheesy good-guy obsessed with Delores is the same photo that Delores's father discovered? If so there's definitely some meta Westworld happening here...

So, the photo that crazy brother in law gives to cheesy good-guy obsessed with Delores is the same photo that Delores's father discovered? If so there's definitely some meta Westworld happening here...

It's the same. Proves the different time periods theory. In the past it is being shown to William, in the present it was found buried.

Mega

Banned
MiB was in zero danger of death by hanging. On the other hand, as EviLore pointed out, his brain is probably going to turn to mush from all that blunt force trauma to the head. Roflmao.

I thought so too at the time ("wtf? that's a concussion"), but then I remembered it's the future and Ford directly stated all illnesses have been cured. I take that to mean that all brain trauma and encephalopathy can be undone or outright prevented with the advanced medical technology of the time. It's probably not a big deal to get your head banged up a bit.

If the show becomes, "something odd happens and it gets explained away as Ford had this in mind all along" I think I would be out.

Ford being the catch all for all things that the viewer wakes up from is clown shoes.

duckroll

I thought so too at the time ("wtf? that's a concussion"), but then I remembered it's the future and Ford directly stated all illnesses have been cured. I take that to mean that all brain trauma and encephalopathy can be undone or outright prevented with the advanced medical technology of the time. It's probably not a big deal to get your head banged up a bit.

Tell that to Theresa. :)

dan2026

This show plays extremely fast and loose with its logic.

The more you think about it the less it makes sense.

Guests would be dying left and right with some of the shit the robots do to them.

Also what happened to Sylvester the douche tech?
He got his throat slit right? Is he dead? Did they save his life?
How did they explain his slit throat to the management?

zeemumu

Someone explain to me how management is so inept that they almost let a guest be literally hanged to death?

MiB has been knocked out 3 times. He should have brain damage by now. I'm probably on the line of thinking that Ford amps it up just for MiB. Plus that rope got cut really easily.

MiB has been knocked out 3 times. He should have brain damage by now. I'm probably on the line of thinking that Ford amps it up just for MiB. Plus that rope got cut really easily.

And MiB has been coming to WW for 30 years. Who knows how many times he has been in a similar logic puzzle?

Plus, with MiB being a VIP, maybe he has issued specific instructions not to have intervention.

Mega

Banned
Tell that to Theresa. :)

A controlled head injury in a real life video game is a lot different from having your head repeatedly bashed against a wall by a murderous robot using its unrestrained superhuman strength.

We know hosts do everything from pull their punches to give guests time to draw their guns first despite actually being much better and faster at everything. I feel like the show has shown us many examples that guests are in fact not in any danger during any of the park's loops and yet it keeps coming up in this thread why Person didn't die from Scripted Event.

FStop7

Banned
It's a real stretch of suspension of belief. Maybe since they can repair slashed throats with a laser thingy then the technology to erase any damage caused by concussions, etc, also exists. Definitely a real stretch.

Kalor

This show plays extremely fast and loose with its logic.

The more you think about it the less it makes sense.

Guests would be dying left and right with some of the shit the robots do to them.

They showed the other tech closing the wound with some tool so he's probably still alive.

Zoe

They have a tool that seals up wounds without leaving a trace. Felix used it on him.

Mega

Banned
I'd like to think that he's going to try and persuade Maeve to join him as a new partner

I know you're joking but there's a plausible parallel to how Logan went from prisoner to Confederate General in a day and how Maeve went from park slave to super-smart sentient robot rebellion leader in a very short span of time. There's no way her uprising is real. I would even go as far as saying that she was physically incapable of fatally stabbing Sylvester and doesn't know it.

It's a real stretch of suspension of belief. Maybe since they can repair slashed throats with a laser thingy then the technology to erase any damage caused by concussions, etc, also exists. Definitely a real stretch.

How is it a stretch? The smartest character on the show said illness and disease are gone. That alone strongly implies that the level of technological advancement is much greater than what we have in 2016.

zeemumu

I know you're joking but there's a plausible parallel to how Logan went from prisoner to Confederate General in a day and how Maeve went from park slave to super-smart sentient robot rebellion leader in a very short span of time. There's no way her uprising is real. I would even go as far as saying that she was physically incapable of fatally stabbing Sylvester and doesn't know it.

I wouldn't put it above them to pull a Metal Gear Rising Blade Wolf.

dan2026

They have a tool that seals up wounds without leaving a trace. Felix used it on him.

I guess. Its still fucking crazy what they are getting away with under the managements nose.

Also how does the robot know the force required to knock an aging man out by smashing his head against a rock, but not actually giving him internal bleeding or brain damage?

How exactly do you 'fake' that?

Solo

Y'all are looking for impact-injury realism on a show with sentient androids, clones and DisneyWorld for psychos. Really? I think this is just one of those things you have to accept within the show's internal logic. A logic that states that hosts can't hard guests....much.

duckroll

A controlled head injury in a real life video game is a lot different from having your head repeatedly bashed against a wall by a murderous robot using its unrestrained superhuman strength.

We know hosts do everything from pull their punches to give guests time to draw their guns first despite actually being much better and faster at everything. I feel like the show has shown us many examples that guests are in fact not in any danger during any of the park's loops and yet it keeps coming up in this thread why Person didn't die from Scripted Event.

We also know that hosts can actually malfunction, especially when they're around William/MiB because he tends to break everything he plays. Logan got cut by Dolores. MiB got slashed on the neck by Maeve. These are all real injuries that are by no means "not in any danger". They're defects. So knowing that, it's hard to buy into the narrative that every action taken by every host is perfectly designed and safe. Most clearly are, but whenever we deal with OG hosts who were around in Arnold's days, I would say the show has also conditioned people to feel that all bets are off.

-griffy-

Banned
Hitting someone in the head to knock them out is such an ingrained part of storytelling across all media, due to decades of use in all kinds of stories, that it strikes me as a silly gripe to level specifically at Westworld and call it inconsistent.

At the very same time this episode was airing, The Walking Dead had a character bash another in the face with a shotgun and KO them, only for that character to be perfectly fine minutes later with a small bandage, and running around the next day shooting guns and chasing people down. I'd bet other shows that night also featured characters getting popped in the head and KO'd too.

It's inaccurate to reality but it's a common storytelling tool whose acceptance, convenience and expedience overrides the accuracy, like how defibrillators are used in fiction, or CPR.

Solo

Hitting someone in the head to knock them out is such an ingrained part of storytelling across all media, due to decades of use in all kinds of stories, that it strikes me as a silly gripe to level specifically at Westworld and call it inconsistent.

Precisely.

How does Ford command the other hosts unless he has some type of neural link with all of them. It appears he can tell hosts what to do telepathically. Unless he is a host himself with an electronic connection into their network something has to be up, unless he implanted some sort of neural chip in his brain.

The story isn't interesting if Ford is in control of *everything*, but he can be in control of *almost* everything and that's fine. I think Dolores is the ace in the hole that's going to fuck Ford over in the finale, not Maeve.

zeemumu

At the very same time this episode was airing, The Walking Dead had a character bash another in the face with a shotgun and KO them, only for that character to be perfectly fine minutes later with a small bandage, and running around the next day shooting guns and chasing people down. I'd bet other shows that night also featured characters getting popped in the head and KO'd too.

It's inaccurate to reality but it's a common storytelling tool whose acceptance, convenience and expedience overrides the accuracy, like how defibrillators are used in fiction, or CPR.

But in a story where the robots aren't supposed to be able to injure you it's a little jarring. It's not like they're throwing weak punches.

duckroll

How does Ford command the other hosts unless he has some type of neural link with all of them. It appears he can tell hosts what to do telepathically. Unless he is a host himself with an electronic connection into their network something has to be up, unless he implanted some sort of neural chip in his brain.

Kinect 4.0.

-griffy-

Banned
But in a story where the robots aren't supposed to be able to injure you it's a little jarring. It's not like they're throwing weak punches.

And according to established, widely used and accepted storytelling rules, getting hit in the head to be rendered unconscious would not be a serious injury in fiction. It's inconsistent with reality, not with fake stories.

shira

Elon Musk wants to do a man-machine link. It's not outside the realm of possibility with this kind of tech in the show.

But it makes it really weird that a person has a physical photograph print. Maybe Logan and Jimmy are super hipsters in this era.

Mega

Banned
We also know that hosts can actually malfunction, especially when they're around William/MiB because he tends to break everything he plays. Logan got cut by Dolores. MiB got slashed on the neck by Maeve. These are all real injuries that are by no means "not in any danger". They're defects. So knowing that, it's hard to buy into the narrative that every action taken by every host is perfectly designed and safe. Most clearly are, but whenever we deal with OG hosts who were around in Arnold's days, I would say the show has also conditioned people to feel that all bets are off.

I get that. But those are the exceptions to the rule. Putting aside the handful of malfunctions we have seen vs. the hundreds of ongoing loops, guests are in no danger from hosts. That includes the rope hanging, getting your head knocked a bit, getting punched by Confederates, etc. There was a line somewhere about the last park incident (death?) having been 30 years ago from the present time period.

I dunno, I think it's weird people are arguing against the established fact that the park is literally running in safe mode fur guests, barring the rare malfunctions (which still haven't gotten anyone killed on screen).

zeemumu

And according to established, widely used and accepted storytelling rules, getting hit in the head to be rendered unconscious would not be a serious injury in fiction. It's inconsistent with reality, not with fake stories.

The way they sell it sounds like that injuries shouldn't go beyond the severity of getting punched in the face with a sock 'em bopper. Even in fiction, getting knocked out and receiving a shallow cut should be at around the same level of severity but they aren't treated as such here.

Top Bottom