• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

bounchfx

Great chapter, but as a lot of people said I hope the Maeve plot is part of the new Ford narrative, because it would be stupid if she's doing all of this without him knowing anything.

As much as I love the show I hope this is the case as well. Unless his new narrative is season 2s plot I don't think there's even enough time to both introduce and explore what it will be. So it being an internal-breaching-to-external timeline makes more sense to me.

Faddy

Banned
What proof is there for three timelines though? When Dolores is meeting the MiB in the church, she's wearing the same clothes (jeans) as in the prior scenes with William and Logan. The simplest option would be that those are the same timeline. Of course the show could be fucking with us. We'll just have to see I guess.

i have seen Dolores's clothes get mentioned a few times. Here is the explanation

In the past she changes clothes in Pariah to rob the wagon
In the present we see her getting taken in during the Pariah parade by Ford (scene where she asks if they are friends) He then has her dress like she did in the past to screw with us and the Man in Black.

The Dolores/Bernard/Arnold scenes are now less clear to me. I thought we were seeing her interact with Arnold but it might have always been Bernard. And I'm not exactly sure when these scenes take place. The impression I got from Ford is that Bernard has went off his loop several times making it hard to place when those scenes are supposed to be.

number11

Unless there's a major twist or if it's just a huge red herring.. but i don't understand why they're taking so long to reveal William = MIB. The clues aren't even subtle any more.

I'd probably hate it if it wasn't William considering they're trying way too hard steering you into believing it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Unless there's a major twist or if it's just a huge red herring.. but i don't understand why they're taking so long to reveal William = MIB. The clues aren't even subtle any more.

I'd probably hate it if it wasn't William considering they're trying way too hard steering you into believing it.

If there is no further twist, my feeling is that it's just intended to build up suspense at the mystery of what happened to change William so much. The MIB said Westworld is where he was truly born.

I think it makes sense though I do agree it has probably been drawn out a bit too long. I think the full reveal could have happened at least an episode ago.

Moofers

My wife and I are watching the entire run again before the finale and we found something in episode 3 that has us totally confused.

Near the end of the episode, Dolores returns home and is greeted by several men who have killed her family. One of them takes her to the barn and she manages to steal his gun. While she is aiming at him, she briefly sees the man turn into the Man in Black who is believed to be future William. The man then returns to normal and she hears a voice instruct her to kill him. She fires the gun and kills the man. The next scene has her running to William and Logan at their campfire.

So now our question is how can she have a flashback to the Man in Black taking her to the barn when the Man in Black is supposed to be future William and she clearly runs out of the barn and into young William's arms at his campfire with Logan? The Man in Black isn't supposed to have happened yet. So does anyone have thoughts on this?

My wife and I are watching the entire run again before the finale and we found something in episode 3 that has us totally confused.

Near the end of the episode, Dolores returns home and is greeted by several men who have killed her family. One of them takes her to the barn and she manages to steal his gun. While she is aiming at him, she briefly sees the man turn into the Man in Black who is believed to be future William. The man then returns to normal and she hears a voice instruct her to kill him. She fires the gun and kills the man. The next scene has her running to William and Logan at their campfire.

So now our question is how can she have a flashback to the Man in Black taking her to the barn when the Man in Black is supposed to be future William and she clearly runs out of the barn and into young William's arms at his campfire with Logan? The Man in Black isn't supposed to have happened yet. So does anyone have thoughts on this?
I took it as showing what happened when he dragged her into the barn in the pilot. She was flashing between the different moments that had happened in the barn. That scene of her shooting the guy was the flashback, not the part with MIB

Maybe it makes me a bad person but I love Dr. Ford and I'm actually rooting for him not to be murdered by his creations. I love that he's always a step ahead.

I'm also getting the feeling that MIB is Logan and not William. Probably wrong, but hoping William is still out there.

I'm also getting the feeling that MIB is Logan and not William. Probably wrong, but hoping William is still out there.

I was pondering that for a lil bit too (especially after he opened up Dolores), but then I remembered the Ghost Nations quip he had with Lawrence, and I feel like it would be dishonest since we explicitly saw William do that with him. Also, the eyes are different colors, unlike William and MiB:

600px-Westworld_lemat_04.jpg

Jimmi-Simpson-Westworld-william-thewrap-interview.jpeg

wbsmcs

OSiTKDT.png

Is there significance behind this girl? When Maeve is in the bar for the first time after getting that "special access" to control other bots, that girl walks by and looks to make deliberate eye contact with her, which sends Maeve back into a flashback.

I can't really tell, but is this same little girl which spoke to the MiB about the maze earlier on in the season?

Scene here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHrQL-tTGcE

-griffy-

Banned
I want to say that Ramin Djawadi created an incredibly versatile theme for this show. Not the title theme, but this one.

It's been utilized in so many different ways it's crazy. It can sound small and sinister, emotional, dreamlike, foreboding and sad, romantic, huge and epic, climactic and revelatory.

The music as a whole has been really interesting, straddling the line between western and sci-fi, and period and anachronistic piano covers.

shira

OSiTKDT.png

Is there significance behind this girl? When Maeve is in the bar for the first time after getting that "special access" to control other bots, that girl walks by and looks to make deliberate eye contact with her, which sends Maeve back into a flashback.

I can't really tell, but is this same little girl which spoke to the MiB about the maze earlier on in the season?

Scene here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHrQL-tTGcE
She has a flashback seeing a young child in a previous ep too
I think that's a guest she sees but who knows.

The speaking role children are all fucking creepy. I think they are all Arnold's Gen 1's too:
- Lawrence's daughter
- Robert Ford junior
- Maeve's daughter

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Maeve's storyline just keeps getting dumber.
The only possible way this isn't completely stupid is "Ford made it happen"

fade_

They explain it later. When we have memories we forget alot of stuff and fill in the blanks but with hosts their memories are retained perfect so when they remember something they are essentially reliving the experience and they can get disoriented. So essentially the man in black triggered the beginning of her journey with William and she's retracing her steps. Something similar happens in Pariah when she gets pulled out of the parade and its made to look like she is still in Williams storyline but is pulled out by old Ford. The hosts are unreliable narrators.

i am at episode 7 right now. the whole maeve plot is weird, why would the lutz and sylvester doing her bidding ? why are they so afraid of her ? just fucking report her or fry her brain or bash her head in with something.

i am at episode 7 right now. the whole maeve plot is weird, why would the lutz and sylvester doing her bidding ? why are they so afraid of her ? just fucking report her or fry her brain or bash her head in with something.

just accept that her arc is something that is crucial to the bigger story's narrative and disregard any logical plot hole for the time being

until ford reveals that he's basically the be-all-end-all of all westworld's plot points

okdakor

ioj8u3F.png
vJrUpbh.png

William is in fact Abernathy, always on the verge of tears, and that's why he freaked out with the picture of his ex... Ford uploaded him in a host after Dolores killed him. He made him Dolores' father because he has a sick sense of humor

Nodnol

Do we think the show will venture in the transfer of consciousness, in the persuit of immortality?

We're obviously witnessing the emergeance of a new species, but I wonder what Ford and Arnold's end goal was. I get the feeling Ford has grown tired of his narratives.

If, as I speculated previously, that he is indeed printing his own host...can he transfer his consciousness? Probably a bit too out there, given that it's a bit of a leap from anything else we've seen on the show.

shira

Do we think the show will venture in the transfer of consciousness, in the persuit of immortality?

We're obviously witnessing the emergeance of a new species, but I wonder what Ford and Arnold's end goal was. I get the feeling Ford has grown tired of his narratives.

If, as I speculated previously, that he is indeed printing his own host...can he transfer his consciousness? Probably a bit too out there, given that it's a bit of a leap from anything else we've seen on the show.

I can see the end of the maze being some kind of hybrid human/host or mind upload.

The hosts keep telling MIB that the maze isn't for him.

Zoe

Wasn't it suggested in the ARG or something?

I agreed. The 2 timelines should have revealed a lot sooner imo, way sooner than the killer of Arnold. I am sure most people assume Ford killed Arnold.

I know some people stop watching because of the confusing (and dishonor imo) interacting of the multiple timelines of Dolores wondering. It got tiring after 2 episodes.

And it's more than 2 timelines because Dolores killed Arnold before the park open and William.

FStop7

Banned
ioj8u3F.png
vJrUpbh.png

William is in fact Abernathy, always on the verge of tears, and that's why he freaked out with the picture of his ex... Ford uploaded him in a host after Dolores killed him. He made him Dolores' father because he has a sick sense of humor

This would be so much more twisted than William = MIB. Damn.

okdakor

He's printing a William host so we can still have the Mib vs William confrontation

Apoc29

MIB may not be William, but it makes even less sense that he is Logan.

MIB is an important character; we've had several scenes that focus on just him. Logan is just a foil; we've never seen him in any scene without William, whereas we've had several scenes of William without Logan. So why would we spend so much time developing the character of William only for him to turn out to be nobody and this other dude who we only know as an asshole becomes the mysterious badass we all know and love?

Granted, the show has a penchant for misleading viewers, but if Logan turns out to be MIB, that's just bad storytelling.

Szu

MIB is a film starring Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones.

William is Shatner.

Delorean is the car used in Back to the Future.

Well the Asian dude has compassion for and maybe fancies her a bit; the other guy doesn't want to lose his job.

For Solo:
For posterity:

L+SD ratings

Episode 1: 1.96 million
Episode 2: 1.50 million
Episode 3: 2.10 million
Episode 4: 1.70 million
Episode 5: 1.50 million
Episode 6: 1.60 million
Episode 7: 1.74 million
Episode 8: 1.77 million
Episode 9: 2.09 million

Again, HBO is more interested in the aggregate numbers because the same day ratings have some noise due their changing competition, holidays, and the like, but these have been holding steady all season.

Matty77

For Solo:Episode 9: 2.09 million

Again, HBO is more interested in the aggregate numbers because the same day ratings have some noise due their changing competition, holidays, and the like, but these have been holding steady all season.
Still going up. Show keeps picking up steam.

For Solo:Episode 9: 2.09 million

For reference, what does GoT get? I didn't realize Westworld wasn't a clear hit (which is why I'm assuming the #'s are getting discussed...)

For reference, what does GoT get? I didn't realize Westworld wasn't a clear hit (which is why I'm assuming the #'s are getting discussed...)
From a few weeks ago:
GoT averaged about 7-8 million during S6 under this metric. Total audience for a given episode is around 23+ million for GoT (S6) versus about 12 million for Westworld (S1). The Westworld S1 numbers are slightly better than GoT S1 numbers.

-griffy-

Banned
Thank you! Helpful...

Well we already know we're getting S2, and word of mouth seems good so hopefully it sticks.

To be clear, it's outdoing Game of Thrones' season 1 numbers. It's doing just fine. Not really fair to compare it directly to season 6 of a very successful show based on a popular book series.

Future

That was the start of present Dolores on her quest. She goes to the house after she's told teddy was lost out there on Wyatt narrative. From there she flashes to multiple past versions that happened in the barn: shooting the guy, man in black, getting shot, running away, etc.

Haruko

I want to say that Ramin Djawadi created an incredibly versatile theme for this show. Not the title theme, but this one.

It's been utilized in so many different ways it's crazy. It can sound small and sinister, emotional, dreamlike, foreboding and sad, romantic, huge and epic, climactic and revelatory.

The music as a whole has been really interesting, straddling the line between western and sci-fi, and period and anachronistic piano covers.

Is this a slower tempo version of the one that plays when William first arrives at Sweetwater? Been trying to find the track but haven't been able to.

The theme linked above has been used in most (but not all) of the ending credit themes this season, and I don't think any have been exactly alike.

My favorite is the synth heavy Episode 5 version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf-biqxwwqo

All of the "newcomer arrival" train scenes have variants of the train theme, i think?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUiljOCnng8

Jag

To be clear, it's outdoing Game of Thrones' season 1 numbers. It's doing just fine. Not really fair to compare it directly to season 6 of a very successful show based on a popular book series.

Also GoT paved the way for WW. HBO has generated a ton of goodwill from GoT fans which were willing to give WW a chance based solely on their experience with GoT.

Regarding last week's revelation:

Does nobody other than Ford know what Arnold looked like when he was alive? Like, is he not a relatively famous public figure? If so, how does nobody recognize Bernard?

Top Bottom