• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Haruko

Are these guys specials hosts who don't respond to orders or they are real men? I don't remember at all!

The only thing we really know about the Ghost Nation so far is that they are supposed to be hosts encountered in the "higher level" fringe of the park, where encounters are more "difficult".

The website for the Westworld park seems to also indicate that with the right moves, you could actually work WITH them and not just AGAINST them:

Ghost Nation Territory is only recommended for expert gameplayers; their storylines intersect with some of the most thrilling in the park, but they’re also the most difficult to access. Trust and respect are the keys to their inner circle.

Regarding last week's revelation:

Does nobody other than Ford know what Arnold looked like when he was alive? Like, is he not a relatively famous public figure? If so, how does nobody recognize Bernard?

Seems like he's not a well-known figure at all, and in fact downright obscure.

I can see if the park was not up and fully-running, and a ton of people working on it got killed, that the fact that one of those people was a genius could get lost, especially if Ford self-aggrandized himself in the wake of the disaster.

The only thing we really know about the Ghost Nation so far is that they are supposed to be hosts encountered in the "higher level" fringe of the park, where encounters are more "difficult".

The website for the Westworld park seems to also indicate that with the right moves, you could actually work WITH them and not just AGAINST them:
Hosts with their security settings heightened to make sure they can catch him.
Thanks, that's really interesting!

The Ghost Nation will remember that.

_Ryo_

SO, is Jeffrey Wright not gonna be in S2 since Ford killed him or did he just temporarily kill him? It'd be kind of weird to stay with Hopkins and say goodbye with Wright.

Come on, Nolan. Don't do that to me. :(

-griffy-

Banned
SO, is Jeffrey Wright not gonna be in S2 since Ford killed him or did he just temporarily kill him? It'd be kind of weird to stay with Hopkins and say goodbye with Wright.

I feel like him being a host and also being Arnold means we'll see him again, probably as a host Bernard again and also as Arnold in Dolores' memories and flashbacks.

Solo

For Solo:Episode 9: 2.09 million

Again, HBO is more interested in the aggregate numbers because the same day ratings have some noise due their changing competition, holidays, and the like, but these have been holding steady all season.

That's awesome. 4 straight weeks of increased ratings and 2nd best ratings yet. No way the finale doesn't cross 2.5M.

Alpende

I hope he returns in some form. I really like him.

For Solo:Episode 9: 2.09 million

Again, HBO is more interested in the aggregate numbers because the same day ratings have some noise due their changing competition, holidays, and the like, but these have been holding steady all season.
Fantastic to see the ratings increasing steadily

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Bernard specifically mentioned "we've had this conversation before, haven't we?" This is not the first time Ford has killed Bernard. The entire point of Bernard is that he's a particularly special host. It makes no sense whatsoever that he'd just permanently decommission Bernard.

Solo

What if Ford didn't just kill Bernard (many times), but Arnold, too? Indirectly, I mean. We know Arnold was in beyond deep and that he felt a kinship with hosts and disdain for humanity. What if Ford and Arnold's philosophical differences were so great that Ford, in that sinister/devious way only Ford can do, taught Arnold a fatal lesson by turning Arnold's prized host, Dolores, against him?

Matty77

That's awesome. 4 straight weeks of increased ratings and 2nd best ratings yet. No way the finale doesn't cross 2.5M.

Fantastic to see the ratings increasing steadily
That's what I am saying. Add in that they are slightly higher than GOT ratings in its first season( which is where the comparison needs to be made, not GOT s6) and it may end up bigger than anyone thought.

Also it's main competitors are Walking Dead and football and both of those keep losing viewers .

Courtesy of everyone's favorite character Logan
“I think sometimes if you try too hard to theorize and work out whats going on instead of just letting yourself enjoy the show and digesting it it can ruin some of the surprises because you’re more excited about being right than you are about being surprised or feeling the emotions that these reveals are supposed to invoke.”

So stop thinking so hard and just enjoy the finale for what it is…and let it wash over you like a huge terrifying wave!”
https://www.facebook.com/WestworldHBO/videos/1786936224909096/

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What if Ford didn't just kill Bernard (many times), but Albert, too? Indirectly, I mean. We know Albert was in beyond deep and that he felt a kinship with hosts and disdain for humanity. What if Ford and Arnold's philosophical differences were so great that Ford, in that sinister/devious way only Ford can do, taught Arnold a fatal lesson by turning Arnold's prized host, Dolores, against him?

...Albert?

Everybody talking about Hopkins or Wright returning for season 2...

I'm just hoping we get another season of Ed Harris!

Assuming the MIB lives through the finale, Harris already said he will be in the next season. It wouldn't be new at all for them to swerve something like that to make it seem like a character will live longer than they actually do, but I have no reason to believe the MIB is going to die in the last episode, either.

...Albert?

Assuming the MIB lives through the finale, Harris already said he will be in the next season. It wouldn't be new at all for them to swerve something like that to make it seem like a character will live longer than they actually do, but I have no reason to believe the MIB is going to die in the last episode, either.
Once the mystery of who he is settled, there's so much they can do with him. He's linked to Delos and the outside world, to the hosts and the park, to Ford.

Solo

You know, Bernard and Dolores' convos really take on a new meaning upon rewatch and the understanding that those talks are 35 years ago instead of today, and between Dolores and Arnold, not Bernard.

Jeffrey Wright also injected just enough curiosity/wide-eyed optimism and humanity into those scenes. Not enough that it sets off red flags during the first watch, but rewatching with that knowledge, you can pick out the subtle ways in which Arnold differs from Bernard.

Solo

Also, Hopkins/Wright/Harris being back for S2 and surviving the S1 finale aren't mutually exclusive. The show relies heavily on flashbacks, so in theory any of these characters could die in the finale and yet still be a regular for years to come.

-griffy-

Banned
Also, Hopkins/Wright/Harris being back for S2 and surviving the S1 finale aren't mutually exclusive. The show relies heavily on flashbacks, so in theory any of these characters could die in the finale and yet still be a regular for years to come.

Also host memories, where hosts not only experience as if they are literally happening, but can interact with the memories and participants in them.

Dreez

Ghost Nation must be some of the oldest non re-assigned hosts there, I think they were mentioned in the William time period

Mega

Banned
That's what I am saying. Add in that they are slightly higher than GOT ratings in its first season( which is where the comparison needs to be made, not GOT s6) and it may end up bigger than anyone thought.

Also it's main competitors are Walking Dead and football and both of those keep losing viewers .

I'm happy for the solid numbers, but slightly better than GoT Season 1 isn't actually impressive when you factor in that HBO's total number of subscribers has increased every year since GoT's debut. The numbers should be a little higher like we're seeing... or else WestWorld would indeed be a ratings disappointment.

This is what I was wondering too

No, no one knew what Arnold had looked like. It was 35 years ago. And even if Bernard looks exactly like Arnold, it was still 35 years ago for most people. I dont even know what Oracle's CEO looks like now let alone 35 years ago.

Also, they were a garage* start up, so they were two duders that were trying to do something big and the world hadn't taken notice of them yet.

And no, they dont have google search for people's photos in their world

*even if it's a space-garage on the moon, it's still a garage start up

boxter432

Ghost Nation must be some of the oldest non re-assigned hosts there, I think they were mentioned in the William time period

not only mentioned, they attacked everyone just after the train stopped, killed the "army" or whoever those dudes were who stopped the train to attack William/Lawrence/Dolores.

Mega

Banned

Does nobody other than Ford know what Arnold looked like when he was alive? Like, is he not a relatively famous public figure? If so, how does nobody recognize Bernard?

Read this post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=225667865&postcount=10095

Basically, it was 34 years ago (before the park launched), no original staff are still working there, and Ford + his original business partners scrubbed Arnold out of history before Delos bought them out.

I wonder who were these business partners.

Read this post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=225667865&postcount=10095

Basically, it was 34 years ago (before the park launched), no original staff are still working there, and Ford + his original business partners scrubbed Arnold out of history before Delos bought them out.

I wonder who were these business partners.
"You've been content... in your little loop. For the most part."
That right there supports the whole "Dolores had attempted the maze loop multiple times over the years" theory

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
A bit more accurate than what I had before:

For posterity:

L+SD ratings

Episode 1: 1.96 million
Episode 2: 1.50 million
Episode 3: 2.10 million
Episode 4: 1.70 million
Episode 5: 1.50 million
Episode 6: 1.64 million
Episode 7: 1.75 million
Episode 8: 1.78 million
Episode 9: 2.09 million

-griffy-

Banned
Can anyone find an image of the scene where the woman from the Ghost Nation kills teddy? Or at least just an image of that woman

You mean this woman?
william%20host%20westworld%20orientation.png

Mega

Banned
Can anyone find an image of the scene where the woman from the Ghost Nation kills teddy? Or at least just an image of that woman

She's not a member of Ghost Nation (native Americans in the desert/plains area). She's part of Wyatt's gang of animal-head homicidal maniacs dwelling in forested areas.

That right there supports the whole "Dolores had attempted the maze loop multiple times over the years" theory

Yeah and Teddy keeps her in Sweetwater or the farm so she hardly ever attempts it, just like William unknowingly stopped her.

This is brought up many times in the dialogue. No one knows who Ford's partner was, just that he "killed himself". Logan even said they had teams of people looking into it but they came back empty. If it is realistic that no ever knew about arnold is another thing. At the time, they were probably small potatos. But if they were small potatos, how could they afford to create the park?

Moofers

You know, Bernard and Dolores' convos really take on a new meaning upon rewatch and the understanding that those talks are 35 years ago instead of today, and between Dolores and Arnold, not Bernard.

I believe you're mistaken here. I think she was always talking to Bernard and that she never actually talked to Arnold that we got to see. Arnold has been dead for 30 years so had she ever talked to him, she'd be a young lady at the time and she would likely recognize that Bernard looks just like him.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I always assumed Ford and Arnold got somebody to invest based on their pitch, and while they were nominally in charge they were obscure engineers. Ford seems to be the "face man" and is very good at that.

Imagine if one of Mark Zuckerberg's first 3 co-founders had vanished just before Facebook exploded. The initial investors may have never paid any attention to that person. The huge company that was soon created would contain nobody who really knew who that person was, outside of those who labored in the same dorm room in those early days.

Xander51

I believe you're mistaken here. I think she was always talking to Bernard and that she never actually talked to Arnold that we got to see. Arnold has been dead for 30 years so had she ever talked to him, she'd be a young lady at the time and she would likely recognize that Bernard looks just like him.

The...the hosts don't age. She would have been the same age, not a young lady. Also her memories of Arnold could easily be tampered with.

You know hosts don't age physically right?

Mega

Banned

What? She's a never-aging host who can be programmed to not see doors, not make sense of photos, or not recognize Bernard as her creator.

She and Arnold met at least once in one of the underground diagnostic rooms that were used in the very early days of the park (possibly the same one Dolores walked into underneath the church in the last episode).

Bernard was created years after the early days of the park when these rooms were used. Some believe Bernard and Dolores have never met. And someone ITT earlier said that Arnold in the Dolores scenes has different mannerisms and speaks differently from Bernard.

Top Bottom