• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Solo

Yeah, True Detective is a great example as to why not to rush it but man...two years sucks.

Well, could be more like 1.5 years. Lots of speculation that it'll take over GoT's normal slot with that show ending. So April 2018 it may be, as opposed to October 2018. Gives HBO it's new flagship fantasy sci-fi show.

In this thread I've seen a lot of Deloris, some Delores and even Deloros... but Dollorous ? what is the problem with her name ? Is Dolores a super rare name in the US ?

That was a joke based on how often it's misspelled in this thread Also, I think the name Dolores is chosen for multiple reasons-- one, being she's a doll (literally) and that she's somewhat dolorous.

I believe that confirms it's Arnold we're seeing with Dolores all those times!

Think you read that wrong. Seems to me he was confirming it's Arnold we were seeing with her
Edit: beaten!

Un, yes. That's what I meant!

Moofers

The...the hosts don't age. She would have been the same age, not a young lady. Also her memories of Arnold could easily be tampered with.

You know hosts don't age physically right?

What? She's a never-aging host who can be programmed to not see doors, not make sense of photos, or not recognize Bernard as her creator.

She and Arnold met at least once in one of the underground diagnostic rooms that were used in the very early days of the park (possibly the same one Dolores walked into underneath the church in the last episode).

Bernard was created years after the early days of the park when these rooms were used. Some believe Bernard and Dolores have never met. And someone ITT earlier said that Arnold in the Dolores scenes has different mannerisms and speaks differently from Bernard.

This was completely a mistake on my end. I read Dolores and was actually thinking of Theresa.

ZOONAMI

Well, could be more like 1.5 years. Lots of speculation that it'll take over GoT's normal slot with that show ending. So April 2018 it may be, as opposed to October 2018. Gives HBO it's new flagship fantasy sci-fi show.

Bets on a medieval world park with cast from got joining the show?

Definitely an opportunity to reuse some sets from that show if nothing else.

Having said that, I'm still of the mindset that they'll never leave the western setting.

I think with five seasons it's a good bet they're going to be going outside the park at the very least. Medieval world or Rome world? Maybe not super likely but well at least see the outside featured more prominently I think. I for one would love to see the park switch themes though. There's opportunity there for some good storytelling. I'm not sure they have it in them to make really compelling human drama though. As much as I love the show it doesn't have the pathos that game of thrones has. Hate on the show runners for GoT all you want but there writing definitely delivers more human condition stuff then Westworld has so far which is funny when you consider the defining characteristic of their show

Solo

Sorry, I should have clarified and I agree with you - I think the show will continue to have only 2 locations - in the (western) park, and the outside world. In S1, the outside world is just the back rooms, labs and offices of the park, but I suspect that the size and scope of the outside world will grow astronomically in S2 and beyond.

Szu

Technically a spoiler? At least a confirmation that that's Bernard we're seeing with Dollorous all those times.

I've quoted the section that confirms that it's Arnold.

And I guess part of that difference is the result of the only time we see Arnold is when he’s engaging with Dolores

Edit; It seems everyone is on the same page now.

As much as I love westworld, deep down, I wanted hbo to do the wheel of time as a follow up to GoT.

Wyatt theory

Someone on Reddit noticed that Dolores stood in the same spot as Wyatt when he executed the general.
https://www.reddit.com/r/westworld/comments/5fqqb8/dolores_sees_herself_standing_in_the_exact_same/

I'd bet that is the spot that Dolores killed Arnold, then she probably shot herself.

Oh yeah. I most definitely subscribe to this theory. I think there's been signs for a while. It's all part of Fords plan. Things are going to backfire on him some for sure but he has something very special planned for the hosts

Been watching this show all season long, and even though I thought it got off to an amazing start, I'm pretty much down to not really caring much about anyone anymore. There have been so many dumb plot points throughout the season, plodding storylines, and really slow development. Don't get me wrong, the cast is great, production values are really high, and I love how everything looks. But the story is just not all that interesting, and they haven't given us any particular reason to care about the hosts on any level. To me, they're all still just androids, and they exist in a make-believe world for the entertainment for the rich. I know at some point we're suppose to think that they're becoming sentient, and worth being seen as something more than a robot, but that hasn't been conveyed well at all.

On top of that, there are times when the plot would lead you to believe we're playing for some incredibly high stakes here, but at the end of the day, it's all just a bunch of smoke and mirrors set around a high-tech Disneyland. Yet, for some reason, the audience is still asked to be engaged with the stakes that are being set out.

I'll watch the finale on Sunday, but at this point I can't imagine there being anything in it at all that would draw me back for a second season.

Zoe

Definitely an opportunity to reuse some sets from that show if nothing else.

Having said that, I'm still of the mindset that they'll never leave the western setting.

Yeah, given Ford's attachment to this setting and his unwillingness to share the code as well as the Board saying they couldn't care less about the park (just the AI), I doubt we'll see other parks.

I think the complaints you have are not only valid but shared by lots of people, including those who are still really engaged with the show.

However I think the stakes will be raised significantly over the coming seasons, possibly starting with the finale. Theres no way they stay in the park the entire five seasons. I for one see Ford "winning" this season and it'll start to crumble as future seasons come. You can't have an AI uprising without real stakes and I think the show runners know this. You can argue that from a creative standpoint they may have whiffed on making the stakes too low this season but I don't think it's something well see for too much longer

Jag

Bets on a medieval world park with cast from got joining the show?

Well it was originally written that way.

Sometime in the near future a high-tech, highly realistic adult amusement park called Delos features three themed "worlds" — Westworld (the American Old West), Medieval World (medieval Europe), and Roman World (the ancient Roman city of Pompeii). The resort's three "worlds" are populated with lifelike androids that are practically indistinguishable from human beings, each programmed in character for their assigned historical environment. For $1,000 per day, guests may indulge in any adventure with the android population of the park, including sexual encounters and even a fight to the death. Delos's tagline in its advertising promises, "Boy, have we got a vacation for you!"

My guess is Season 2 continues the robot rebellion and it flows over into other parks.

menacin

Banned
Would be best if they finish this show up second season. Wrap it up. Just make a show with a proper beginning and end and don't drag things out . No filler please .

Been watching this show all season long, and even though I thought it got off to an amazing start, I'm pretty much down to not really caring much about anyone anymore. There have been so many dumb plot points throughout the season, plodding storylines, and really slow development. Don't get me wrong, the cast is great, production values are really high, and I love how everything looks. But the story is just not all that interesting, and they haven't given us any particular reason to care about the hosts on any level. To me, they're all still just androids, and they exist in a make-believe world for the entertainment for the rich. I know at some point we're suppose to think that they're becoming sentient, and worth being seen as something more than a robot, but that hasn't been conveyed well at all.

On top of that, there are times when the plot would lead you to believe we're playing for some incredibly high stakes here, but at the end of the day, it's all just a bunch of smoke and mirrors set around a high-tech Disneyland. Yet, for some reason, the audience is still asked to be engaged with the stakes that are being set out.

I'll watch the finale on Sunday, but at this point I can't imagine there being anything in it at all that would draw me back for a second season.

Given that we've apparently see the androids have feelings-- Maeve in particular, and now Bernard-- you aren't invested in their fate?

I dunno man, I agree completely that the show has been too plodding and could really up the pace. But I care about the hosts, and have for most of the series.

Helmholtz

I watched the first season, it was well done but kind of...boring. For me at least.
I'm caught up on that show and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't bored at times. I also think it's well done but at the same time I'm not clamoring for the next episode. I think the fact that I was able to marathon the previous seasons is the only reason I'm caught up, I doubt I'd stick with it on a weekly basis.

Guys, I know who is Wyatt.

d3bb1f92f1f94e876ee1eae62b8356c3.jpg

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I watched the first season, it was well done but kind of...boring. For me at least.

I'm caught up on that show and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't bored at times. I also think it's well done but at the same time I'm not clamoring for the next episode. I think the fact that I was able to marathon the previous seasons is the only reason I'm caught up, I doubt I'd stick with it on a weekly basis.

To each their own, it's not for everyone, but the writing and acting is superb. It's a character study more than an event series.

Oh is she gonna be in for a rude awakening at the grand unveiling of Ford's new "narrative" (and yes, an email Aeden sent people confirms the board will be there, which I see as more-or-less confirming my theory that the rebellion is all a hoax for Ford's usurping of the board).

Guys, I know who is Wyatt.

Is that Gibby?!

Would be best if they finish this show up second season. Wrap it up. Just make a show with a proper beginning and end and don't drag things out . No filler please .

Somebody will do a "Pulp Fiction reedit" of this show and it will tell the story in 5 hours.

Given that we've apparently see the androids have feelings-- Maeve in particular, and now Bernard-- you aren't invested in their fate?

I dunno man, I agree completely that the show has been too plodding and could really up the pace. But I care about the hosts, and have for most of the series.

Nope. Not invested at all. Bernard was one of my favorite characters until the reveal, which wasn't as shocking as I think the writers would have liked it to be. But knowing that his "memory" of his son was just an implant took a lot of the emotional steam out of it for me.

And don't even get me started on Maeve. For me, her storyline is probably the worst of them all. What strange power she has over the two techs is beyond me, and why they would have even started down a path to helping her was kind of dumb. It could have been handled better and maybe it would have salvaged it, but speaking for myself (and my wife who watches with me) we really couldn't care less about the outcome. Not to mention how she could have done some of the things she's done along the way without anyone noticing is kind strange.

Like I said previously, we'll watch the finale. We've come this far, so we'll see it through. But I can't see anything that they would do that would pull me back in for season 2.

Nope. Not invested at all. Bernard was one of my favorite characters until the reveal, which wasn't as shocking as I think the writers would have liked it to be. But knowing that his "memory" of his son was just an implant took a lot of the emotional steam out of it for me.

And don't even get me started on Maeve. For me, her storyline is probably the worst of them all. What strange power she has over the two techs is beyond me, and why they would have even started down a path to helping her was kind of dumb. It could have been handled better and maybe it would have salvaged it, but speaking for myself (and my wife who watches with me) we really couldn't care less about the outcome. Not to mention how she could have done some of the things she's done along the way without anyone noticing is kind strange.

Like I said previously, we'll watch the finale. We've come this far, so we'll see it through. But I can't see anything that they would do that would pull me back in for season 2.

I don't understand the people who invest in Maeve's fate. Her daughter she care about, is a lie. She suffering through her loops, its a lie. She probably doesn't even feel pain, seeing her pull the bullet out of her stomach Rambo style and all. Why does she even feel pain anyway, just change some stat on your fucking iPad.

The only thing I feel real about Bernard is his dedication to his job.

Dolores is different. I can feel her intellectual struggle to become sentient. She meeting her maker and following Arnold's hints to find the maze (to be sentience) is a good AI story. It should be the centerpiece of the show. IMO the show make the mistake of treating the mysteries as the main selling point of the series. It stacks the finale with multiple secrets to shock the audience. That's very cute Nolan. But most of them don't mean anything to me. Why even hide the fact that William story was from the past? Just tell us from E2, the change between Simpson and Ed Harris alone would have provided enough curiosity to the viewers.

You have one job, that is to tell the story of Dolores gaining her consciousness. IMO the whole show is hung on this part of the story thread.

Vyer

I don't understand the people who invest in Maeve's fate. Her daughter she care about, is a lie. She suffering through her loops, its a lie. She probably doesn't even feel pain, seeing her pull the bullet out of her stomach Rambo style and all. Why does she even feel pain anyway, just change some stat on your fucking iPad.

The only thing I feel real about Bernard is his dedication to his job.

Dolores is different. I can feel her intellectual struggle to become sentient. She meeting her maker and following Arnold's hints to find the maze (to be sentience) is a good AI story. It should be the centerpiece of the show. IMO the show make the mistake of treating the mysteries as the main selling point of the series. It stacks the finale with multiple secrets to shock the audience. That's very cute Nolan. But most of them don't mean anything to me. Why even hide the fact that William story was from the past? Just tell us from E2, the change between Simpson and Ed Harris alone would have provided enough curiosity to the viewers.

You have one job, that is to tell the story of Dolores gaining her consciousness. IMO the whole show is hung on this part of the story thread.

The interest in both is generally for the same reasons. Maeve's actions will likely play a part in what Dolores is trying to achieve. Gaining sentience and escaping the park go hand in hand.

Well, I finally caught up.
They spent too much time on the maeve parts
William and his brother in law are bad characters and are boring as fuck.

Other than that I loved the delores story,trying to reach the truth and to become sentient. I love the Ford and Arnold story, and I love Ed Harris and his story. I love Ed Harris in general actually.

Raven117

I'm with you. The show starts off by raising fascinating questions of how humans relate to violence, sex, are we inherently good or evil.

Then...kinda spins off into its own lore. And while interesting to a point, it falls short of being truly magnificent.

While there is a lot going on. My bet is that Mauve's "rebellion" is orchestrated by Ford (or at the very least is all part of the plan of Ford). One has to suspend too many rules that the show has established for there to be any other outcome. Everything is controlled in the park...they can lock rifles, authorize explosions, etc....They can't see when a host is going off her loop or giving orders? Please. And if they can't...that's silly enough to not watch season 2.

All signs point to William=MIB....unless this was a deliberate misleading (and thus a deus ex machina)....this is the conclusion they want us to draw...The question at this point is...so what?

Im curious as to the Delores story line. Where are we headed with this? We know Ford created a story line at some point that said something about a story line that is "truly original" and shows the church steeple NOT built. We dont' know WHEN this was though.

I would not be surprised if the "reveal" is all exceedingly meta essentially showing that everything was orchestrated by Ford and that we as viewers were playing the game as the "gamers" were within Westworld.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

I have to agree with the Vox article for the most part.

Ever since Lost, it does feel like audiences have become obsessed with shows as puzzles to be figured out, racing to beat everyone else in getting to the prize. This might have been exacerbated by many shows trying to cash in on the Lost craze by purposefully trying to do little more than taut and confuse the viewer, setting up mysteries for their own sake.

I do think Westworld isn't really trying to rely on that entirely. I think the Vox writer is more correct on what the purpose of the twists are.

-griffy-

Banned
I would not be surprised if the "reveal" is all exceedingly meta essentially showing that everything was orchestrated by Ford and that we as viewers were playing the game as the "gamers" were within Westworld.

This wouldn't surprise me either, I do think the show is way more meta and self-aware than people realize. You have hosts acting as characters trapped in a traditional prestige drama growing sick of their place and their ham-fisted stories and roles, and you have guests acting as the audience and ruining the narratives and being interested in titillation more than naything.. Then you have the director and his vision (Ford) battling with the writers and tech people and the studio (Delos) over control of that vision. And all of it is wrapped inside of another layer of prestige drama trappings. I feel like this show really knows exactly what it is doing.

Future

After seeing the ford backdoor on the host that was with Bernard (that he couldn't see or un-code when he modified her), I'm in the ford orchestrating everything camp. The one thing he isn't expecting or accounting for I think is Dolores and the Arnold secret code unlock. But he probably knows about Maeve and wants a mini uprising ...... that is under his control

Secret Arnold code has been referenced by too many people for it not to be revealed.

Things I'm real curious about

- what host is ford making
- what did Elise find that needed her to be silenced
- whose controlling the natives

Raven117

This wouldn't surprise me either, I do think the show is way more meta and self-aware than people realize. You have hosts acting as characters trapped in a traditional prestige drama growing sick of their place and their ham-fisted stories and roles, and you have guests acting as the audience and ruining the narratives and being interested in titillation more than naything.. Then you have the director and his vision (Ford) battling with the writers and tech people and the studio (Delos) over control of that vision. And all of it is wrapped inside of another layer of prestige drama trappings. I feel like this show really knows exactly what it is doing.

I guess we will find out! At this point, I think the only truly shocking reveal is that Ford is playing everyone, including us the viewers. All season, everyone has been in the weeds trying to figure out what is happening...the theories are excellent...and often true...

So...

The only thing that would really be "Ah-HA!" is that Ford took everyone for a ride including us.

sonka

Banned
Does anyone think it's possible that "Arnold's Code" is akin to to Emmanuel Goldstein and The Brotherhood in 1984? AKA, a lie.

It's be really interesting to see Ford completely smash any sort of insurrection, like in 1984. Everyone expects a robot revolution, but if he took on the role of Big Brother and all the bread crumbs that hosts thought might lead them to freedom just led to further oppression, it would be a great turn on the typical TV expectation.

Top Bottom