• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Speevy

Banned
If one of Ford's goal is to give hosts heightened awareness over time, why would he construct a ruse that kept him alive?

This ruse would lead inevitably to his own death.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
So is the actor that plays young William done with the show? I would assume so. I hope they don't continue to go back into time with his younger self.

Also, that post credits scene was kinda weird lol. seemed out of place imo

bounchfx

Holy fuck that was incredible, and SO satisfying. Time to catch up on the thread. What was the piano player song near the end? I can't remember the song but I definitely recognize it and the lyrics were something like 'to make the world awake again' or some shit

sangreal

mainland.png

mainland? does that imply the park is physically detached from the rest of society?

Ridli

So is the actor that plays young William done with the show? I would assume so. I hope they don't continue to go back into time with his younger self.

I'd be really surprised if there was any more young William story to be told. The only thing I can figure is if Logan came back somehow, but my read of that scene is that William sent Logan off in the wilderness to go mad/die from exposure.

mainland? does that imply the park is physically detached from the rest of society?

Isla Sorna, Isla Nublar. Seems very Crichton.

Thats what I was implying. Hopefully he returns as this show is going to lose quite a bit without Hopkins around.

I imagine they're leaving his return as a possibility depending on budget and whether he actually wants to return.

Given the fact that he helped the hosts achieve sentience, I think it would fit his arc better if Ford, the human, died and his host form returns.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Holy fuck that was incredible, and SO satisfying. Time to catch up on the thread. What was the piano player song near the end? I can't remember the song but I definitely recognize it and the lyrics were something like 'to make the world awake again' or some shit

Exit Music for a Film by Radiohead.

sort of an odd choice, since that exact song was used in an episode of Black Mirror season 3 at the end as well.

Wish they would have done Paranoid Android lol!

KRod-57

Banned
Robert coded it as part of her storyline. Not a coincidence it takes place around the same time he is planning a revolution. Leaves the park unable to retaliate if they are dealing with a gunfight in their own HQ.

Okay, so here is what I don't understand. She's getting help from a park employee the whole way there, and we know that this employee was not a host because they outright shoot down any speculation that he could be a host.

So was this park employee following orders from Ford? Because if not, that's a hole in the plot.. I mean, if Ford didn't give the order, then there is no way he could have known it would happen.. and from what we saw, Maeve couldn't have accomplished anything without this employee's help

bounchfx

Exit Music for a Film by Radiohead.

sort of an odd choice, since that exact song was used in an episode of Black Mirror season 3 at the end as well.

Wish they would have done Paranoid Android lol!

Ok gotcha, It sounded like radio head to me but I wasn't sure what song, and I was getting conflicting lyric ideas from a different song. Thanks!

Also, that post credits scene was kinda weird lol. seemed out of place imo

We will find out in season 2 that William was actually a host built on Deloris's memories of real William and was manipulating her all along. In another twist, Bernard built host William after one of his awakenings and Arnold was always a host and never existed.

Solo

I need to get to sleep but it'll be hard tonight thinking about this show. I love it so much. There were a few speedbumps along the way (the butchers, Ep. 8), but overall what an excellent, engaging show and goddamn what a finale. The acting, the music, the aesthetic, the themes, it just all scratches my itches in such lovely ways. I hope the show wins a lot of awards and does monster ratings in S2. What an embarrassment of acting riches too - we've got Hopkins, Harris and Wright in peak form and Evan Rachel Wood with the role of her life so far.

Bring on S2.

Air

Banned
Great ending to the season. Thought it was apt that Ford had killed himself to give his creations full autonomy. A very literal 'death of God' situation.

I love this show if only because of how it is opening up the conversation on why is consciousness. Very excited for season 2.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm so glad I stayed away from conspiracy chat for this show. Bits and pieces landed exquisitely and this was just an immensely enjoyable piece of television. I can't wait to rewatch this.

Now onward to our own suffering of waiting, presumably, a year and a half for season 2.

Godspeed.

What a finale! Enjoyed the series so much. Probably the best one I've ever seen.

Still in awe. Hopkin's character is just so well developed.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, so here is what I don't understand. She's getting help from a park employee the whole way there, and we know that this employee was not a host because they outright shoot down any speculation that he could be a host.

So was this park employee following orders from Ford? Because if not, that's a hole in the plot.. I mean, if Ford didn't give the order, then there is no way he could have known it would happen.. and from what we saw, Maeve couldn't have accomplished anything without this employee's help

Well part of her programming was to coerce somebody into helping. Maybe it was a subconscious analysis done that found an employee who could easily be coerced.

kai3345

Banned

Ford could have programmed Maev to mislead the park employee. He could still be a host, and at this point I'm kind of thinking he must be.

Matty77

Very happy with the show, played out great. Enjoyed talking and over analyzing and unlike others I will be back in the OT for season two.

Best part of this episode were similar, Armistice and her reaction to the gun, and William getting shot and his smile.

Solo

Seriously, how great was Harris' reaction to be shot for real? He was almost....gleeful. That basically gave purpose to the last 30 years of his life. Such a great moment and a great bit of acting.

One element I noticed that I liked as much as William's joy at finally being able to die on his terms is the look of sheer horror on both Bernard and Teddy's faces. Whatever the new world is for the Hosts, Bernard and Teddy have no place in it.

Jarmel

Banned
My guess is that Ford was making a copy of himself in the basement and his interactions with the kid earlier was a test for himself. He was trying to see if he could mirror the same responses and emotions to events in his own life, like when he killed his dog.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Does the train station lights going out mean there is no way out now?

possibly. Machines control the world now. Whats even more interesting though is it now seems there will be internal divisions among the AI. Some AI havent evolved yet to the point they could kill humans. Thats why they were all standing there in shock. Whereas other AI like Delores are basically gonna run the place. She is like the new villain lol.

KRod-57

Banned
Ford could have programmed Maev to mislead the park employee. He could still be a host, and at this point I'm kind of thinking he must be.

I don't believe he is a host, because we hear Maeve directly say he is not a host and that he is a human, and I think they put that line there for the viewers who were speculating that he was a host who was a part of a bigger plan.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Start the clock.

21 months. 95 weeks. 665 days. 15,992 hours.

#westworldseason2

Presuming season 2 starts in October of 2018

Seriously, how great was Harris' reaction to be shot for real? He was almost....gleeful. That basically gave purpose to the last 30 years of his life. Such a great moment and a great bit of acting.

Perfectly set up by the empty cold storage and then the rustling trees.

Fucking genius.

golem

I don't believe he is a host, because we hear Maeve directly say he is not a host and that he is a human, and I think they put that line there for the viewers who were speculating that he was a host who was a part of a bigger plan.

Legit lol'ed at his reaction to finding Bernard was a host.

possibly. Machines control the world now. Whats even more interesting though is it now seems there will be internal divisions among the AI. Some AI havent evolved yet to the point they could kill humans. Thats why they were all standing there in shock. Whereas other AI like Delores are basically gonna run the place. She is like the new villain lol.

Yep, she's Wyatt, and Bernard still has some more suffering to come.

Air

Banned
My guess is that Ford was making a copy of himself in the basement and his interactions with the kid earlier was a test for himself. He was trying to see if he could mirror the same responses and emotions to events in his own life, like when he killed his dog.

I can't see that. Ford making a copy of himself goes against his persona at the end of the season. Him dying is a literal 'death of God' scenario so he could give his creations true freedom. If he made a copy of himself I'd think that'd be bad storytelling.

Vyer

Oh wow

That may have been one of the most satisfying season finales I've ever seen. Could have completely worked as a series ender had that been needed, but still absolutely does the job of making me want season 2 right now.

Top Bottom