• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

kris.

Banned
Jesus, I might have to blacklist /r/Westworld from now on. Dudes are already coming up with plausible theories for next season.

brau

It was awesome. I think some of the speculation in the threads really killed some of the outcome of the plot. But i think overall it was a great season. really wish Michael Crichton was still among us to have direct input into this. I bet it would only make it better.

All in all tho, it was really good, "into darkness" was a good prologue to the next narrative, and all the ties to there is no free will just the narrative really makes everything more interesting. Excited to see where it goes next.

Brakke

Banned
Samurai World was a mistake. Sort of emblematic of the show for me. Put in a thing that ~feels~ intriguing and important, but don't engage with it at all. Cheap thrill.

So here's another thing. How in the fuck does Arnold have a chunk of the Sistine Chapel's ceiling in his office (and how is it flat). And isn't it convex, not flat? I haven't been to the Vatican. Leave it to tacky-ass Arnold to have a print up.

Bakkus

Wow, there's so much to say, but for now, I'll stick to the fact that the show ended with the Norwegian. Proud.

hydruxo

"Mozart, Beethoven and Chopin never died, they simply became music. So I hope you will enjoy this last piece."

What a season. What a finale.

Samurai World was a mistake. Sort of emblematic of the show for me. Put in a thing that ~feels~ intriguing and important, but don't engage with it at all. Cheap thrill.

So here's another thing. How in the fuck doesn't Arnold have a chunk of the Sistine Chapel's ceiling in his office (and how is it flat). And isn't it convex, not flat? I haven't been to the Vatican. Leave it to tacky-ass Arnold to have a print up.

Well it was there to confirm there are many other worlds along with the note about Maeves daughter. I don't think they completely abandon other worlds and stay only in westworld.

Zoe

My guess is that Ford was making a copy of himself in the basement and his interactions with the kid earlier was a test for himself. He was trying to see if he could mirror the same responses and emotions to events in his own life, like when he killed his dog.

I like this!

Burt

I was gonna write something... I dunno, sardonic, I guess, but can I get a reaction from someone who thought that hosts weren't people the whole time? The "They don't actually feel pain, they just act like they do but it doesn't matter because they get erased" crowd? It'd be interesting to hear thoughts from someone who didn't feel for the hosts going into tonight.

Also I know we do make fun how dumb the butchers are but is it really that hard to believe that someone would side with Maeve over the humans that have been torturing her for years?

Pocks

After finding out he was the architect behind the hosts' consciousness, I really hope he sacrificed his human self and left behind his host self to lead the revolution,

Yeah, I see this as more likely than him creating a host version to die just so his mortal body can live on for a few more years.

Brakke

Banned
Also I know we do make fun how dumb the butchers are but is it really that hard to believe that someone would side with Maeve over the humans that have been torturing her for years?

Yeah tbh anything that could from having to watch these idiot dweeb boys beat off on corpses all the time would be very appealing.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The asian dude was trying to fix a broken bird so of course he would side with Maeve. Dude actually felt sorry for these things.

I never found it that jarring, the other guy was terrible though both his acting and character.

Burt

I think they did the breakout scene the way they did because the QA SWAT teams had to be gone for the rebellion to work, but there are so many better ways that Ford and a bunch of 20 INT superhuman trained killer hosts could've taken care of things.

Maybe I'm simple but ultimately I think I would have enjoyed a show that's just about a bunch of people trapped in a park with killer robots more.

Edit: Glass Candy tho

The scene with Teddy and Dolores was the best reveal of that kind since Black Mirror. It was just as "Wait..what the fuck" as that episode too

royalan

I really don't see Ford coming back next season.

Not only because...well, Anthony Hopkins ain't cheap. But because Ford is a storyteller. The God, the Puppetmaster, being undone by his creations after setting them free. His great sacrifice. It's the exact kind of poetic ending I could see Ford wanting for himself.

For Ford to come back as a host reduces his great story...to, well, fanfiction.

zewone

The finale was excellent, but still two moments that stood out as stupid to me.

One. Why would the train still be running out of Westworld if there's escaping robots killing humans? They wouldn't call to the station to stop all trains because of an emergency? It would not be business as usual. The whole narrative of the prostitute to leave was just dumb and ultimately had no pay off and didn't even really effect the main story (unless it was her who programmed all the hosts in cold storage? I don't think so, but maybe).

Two. Why would they watch the host cut her arm off and tell her to shut down instead of just shooting her? She's already killed a dozen of your coworkers? Dumb.

Also, they never even mentioned the head of security never coming back from his trip alone last episode.

Besides that, loved the episode.

-griffy-

Banned
After finding out he was the architect behind the hosts' consciousness, I really hope he sacrificed his human self and left behind his host self to lead the revolution,
Just as those great composer's didn't die but became music, Ford doesn't die but becomes a host.

golem

One. Why would the train still be running out of Westworld if there's escaping robots killing humans? They wouldn't call to the station to stop all trains because of an emergency? It would not be business as usual. The whole narrative of the prostitute to leave was just dumb and ultimately had no pay off and didn't even really effect the main story (unless it was her who programmed all the hosts in cold storage? I don't think so, but maybe).

That whole narrative was setup by Ford. He locked down only the parts he wanted locked down. In the end she went against his programming by choosing to stay

Ferrio

Banned
I really hope the show doesn't go full on terminator. I don't need twists and surprises, but I'd like something more than robots straight up massacring humans. Maybe emphasis on their newfound freedom and what that means to them?

zewone

That whole narrative was setup by Ford. He locked down only the parts he wanted locked down. In the end she went against his programming by choosing to stay

I don't think that's true at all. Bernard mentions she makes a decision on the train (likely about to tell her she decides to stay), but she broke his tablet before he could finish his sentence.

Chase17

Wow, fantastic finale!

Even better is that the Maeve revelation helps absolve my only real gripe with the show throughout the season.

Great acting all around too. Best episode of TV I've seen in a while.

ZOONAMI

How is the military not gonna get sent in there to rescue everyone and likely completely destroy all the hosts? Or at best keep around a few for research.

Top Bottom