• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Vengal

I guess Maeve returning for her daughter was her consciousness moment.

Can't wait to see MiB playing the game for real in season 2, although it loses something if very host is just part of a terminator army.

Is Season 2 just going to be the movie but with Hector or Wyatt as Yul Brynner.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I was yelling at the Asian lab guy the whole time. Wtf dude??? I thought for a sec he would be a host, but nope he's just an idiot.

Veitsev

How did fans know this crap would happen 2 episodes into the series... how?!

- Breadcrumbs laid by the show
- The show really not being that smart or well written as people think. Its well executed but largely predictable.
- Going over every episode with a fine tooth comb, watching episodes multiple times, analyzing screenshots.
- Likely some people watching some episodes early, wouldn't surprise me if some had seen early review episodes and decided to leave spoilers as "speculation". Happens all the time.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Is Season 2 just going to be the movie but with Hector or Wyatt as Yul Brynner.

Yeah but it would be more interesting if he could interact and work with some of them like Lawrence.

We'll see what happens I guess, and he could always team up with whatever humans survive the massacre.

Okay, now I'm even more hyped for season 2
Places and events dont matter anymore. There is nothing here for you, and what's left belongs to us.
The park won’t be taking reservations for a long time to come, and you have to take responsibility for your small part in that. Wyatt will be coming to collect.
The gods have been cast to the mortal coil. They are currently in a prison of their own sins, and you would be wise not to join them.

kai3345

Banned
When they showed William going full evil and then he turns around and Logan is just butt naked on a horse I lost my shit laughing

Solo

Probably can't watch this for another 10 hours. Was it good????

It was a fantastic finale, minus a weird scene with the perv butcher and lol security. Otherwise it was bloody great. The finale 30 minutes was nonstop intensity and payoffs.

The music again was masterful too. I haven't seen anyone mention that.

Burt

I really liked the finale, especially Ford's reveal (I've been talking about not being able to get a read on him since the beginning), but since I liked almost everything so much, I have to go out of the way to highlight just how incredibly atrocious Maeve & Co.'s P90 jailbreak was.

I've defending the fucking mess (in a contextual sense, not a scriptwriting sense) that the butcher shop in Westworld is since the beginning, because it was overwhelmingly evident from the very start that Westworld was run like absolute shit, and purposefully so. Ford only ever cared about the hosts, Delos only ever cared about the code, and the result was the majority of the people working were being minimum-wage garbage who took the job because of the necrophiliac perks. The only person we ever saw in an executive position who cared about the actual end-to-end operational efficiency of the park got her head broken against a wall by Bernard -- which made the Maeve stuff reasonably more believable, in that not only was that one person gone while it was happening, but every who worked under her would be under investigation for corporate espionage while Maeve was breaking out.

So, long story short, a minimum-cost skeleton crew with near-zero actual oversight is, if not reasonable, at least excusable within the context of nearly everyone involved actually actively wanting no one to give a shit.

But there's a difference between that and what we saw go down in the Maeve breakout, which was some D-tier action movie dogshit. The only reasonable explanation would that that everyone working in the QA teams was a host, and that's not even a reasonable explanation. I don't know, it was the first time I actually eyerolled at the show.

Hemsworth the Elder being dead isn't enough to explain that away.
And by the way, what a pointless fucking non-death death last week.

Other than that, I do think the William heelturn was a bit more abrupt than I would've, but overall, great stuff.

kingocfs

When they showed William going full evil and then he turns around and Logan is just butt naked on a horse I lost my shit laughing

The best part was the resounding spank of that poor horse's ass. I bet that shit could have been heard in Ford's office.

RowdyReverb

Dolores' name now makes sense. The name means pain, suffering, or sorrows, a nod to the suffering which she must undergo to become conscious

It was a fantastic finale, minus a weird scene with the perv butcher and lol security. Otherwise it was bloody great. The finale 30 minutes was nonstop intensity and payoffs.

The music again was masterful too. I haven't seen anyone mention that.
the music to me is 50% of why I was so damn absorbed by almost every single scene.

duckroll

I should probably bail out before I actually start reading some of the posts about the episode. :p

But I'll say it again Solo - DANIEL DAY LEWIS.

Imagine DDL and Ed Harris at odds. On HBO. Every week.

Veitsev

so.. probably a dumb question, but who was giving Maeve the orders?

Robert coded it as part of her storyline. Not a coincidence it takes place around the same time he is planning a revolution. Leaves the park unable to retaliate if they are dealing with a gunfight in their own HQ.

Zyae

Okay, now I'm even more hyped for season 2

YOU
WHERE IS THE MIB
AEDEN
William may be a titan of industry outside the park, but his playing field in here has been leveled. Considerably. He sought to traverse the maze and time will tell if he’s truly prepared to meet what’s at the center.
AEDEN
Some know more about this game than others.

hype

Ridli

Man what an end. So Arnold basically won the argument in the end, eh? He convinced Ford that there was life/consciousness/sentience to be discovered in the hosts, but it took his death to make him realize it.

That's the mistake Ford has been attempting to correct. Unfortunately it's taken 30+ years of suffering to make it happen. And the whole time, the callousness he displayed to the hosts, the way he instructed his staff to dehumanize and make them suffer, a way to keep the suffering until they were finally ready.

If next season is just a survival horror in the park that's would be a bit of a step-down.

Faddy

Banned
I really didn't like the Maeve escape. It seemed far too violent and totally different in tone. Actually I thought the tone was off for most of the episode.

I don't know how the show continues in a similar manner to the first 9 episodes with the ending. The structure was based partly on the flashbacks and partly on the functions of the park and it seems like both of those things are wiped out.

I'm interested in what the second season might hold but I'm not confident it will proceed in an interesting direction.

Ridli

Dolores' name now makes sense. The name means pain, suffering, or sorrows, a nod to the suffering which she must undergo to become conscious

Oh man and here I kept trying to make a connection between Delores and Delos, but no, a Spanish translation would have been easier.

I think Maeve's plot was to actually give her the choice in whether she wanted to leave the park or not on her own terms. She had commands to actually get her to the train but it was own choice as whether to go or not.

Yeah the part after the train was literally "Find the center of the Maze"

Top Bottom